Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 00:49   #31
J. Marston
Registered User
 
J. Marston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium93_ View Post
The Man's Man, I mean Seth Rollins threw some shade at Matt Riddle.....
Matt Riddle is someone I didn't like at all in the beginning but now I think he is fantastic. Him shítting on legends just heightens his appeal to me.
J. Marston is online now  
Advertisement
04-10-2019, 02:38   #32
The White Wolf
Registered User
 
The White Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Coulson View Post
Which main roster guy will turn up on NXT next week to spike the ratings?

How long before Vince, Steph, Shane or HHH turn up in character to fight the evil AEW?
They've the right to do anything they want really, as I said earlier the bag of tricks they have at their disposal is much deeper than AEW's.

All credit to the latter as it sounds like they were really smart in how they made the show available across platforms.
The White Wolf is offline  
04-10-2019, 08:24   #33
chopperbyrne
Registered User
 
chopperbyrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,976
From what I've seen from AEW so far, the majority of it has been at the same level of the hardcore garbage served up by ECW back in the day.

Cody deliberately taking a hard chair shot to the head, and a very awkward looking powerbomb on two chairs.

Also Johnny Emo eating thumb tacs.

They might have one or two good wrestling matches on each show, but it's not enough to sway me.
chopperbyrne is offline  
04-10-2019, 09:04   #34
sky88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,513
the main thing thatll hurt NXT is the fact its available the next day on the network
sky88 is online now  
04-10-2019, 11:14   #35
leggo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,965
Loved the first week. Quality-wise, I thought NXT absolutely destroyed AEW in the first hour. Riddle/Cole with Balor's appearance afterwards vs Cody in a long, not particularly great match giving himself a dramatic entrance told a story to me. Some of the AEW stuff was cringe like the forced Kevin Smith cameo. It felt like they were trying to prove they could run a WWE show rather than do their own thing: even the layout of the set etc was similar and it felt like the achievement was just having a TV show on TNT that looked professional, rather than pushing any boundaries with content.

Having said that, the second hour of AEW blew the second hour of NXT away for me. The women's match was fascinating and the 6-man was mental. I find it gas that people (not necessarily here mind) are going mad for Swagger now as if he's the saviour of pro-wrestling when they didn't give a rats when he was in Lucha Underground (and he was used really well there too). Opinions just flip-flop depending on what's 'cool'. Balor is cool until he's used as a chip against AEW, then the narrative switches to "Oooh he's been demoted!" Jack Swagger is used as a punchline to show how far Lucha Underground had fallen until he goes against WWE, then he's amazing and going to personally be responsible for the death of Vince McMahon. It's gas.

The fact that AEW won the ratings battle convincingly is the best outcome for all of us. I was convinced WWE would blow them away, just by sheer reach alone rather than any quality etc, and I still think they will in the long run but it's awesome to get a bit of competition and be able to have these chats. Really exciting time to be a fan.
leggo is offline  
Advertisement
04-10-2019, 12:02   #36
leggo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky88 View Post
the main thing thatll hurt NXT is the fact its available the next day on the network
That's actually a massive plus for me, as well as YouTube highlights. I don't have two free hours to watch AEW every week so most weeks I'll be relying on highlight shows I can watch in my own time and then I'll watch the full show odd weeks. Being inaccessible, while I understand it as you have to watch it there and then or miss out, will only mean I'll almost definitely pay little/no attention to their TV after a few weeks. NXT moving back to proper YouTube highlights means I'll constantly be paying attention to them now and will watch when there's a big week.
leggo is offline  
04-10-2019, 12:10   #37
sky88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
That's actually a massive plus for me, as well as YouTube highlights. I don't have two free hours to watch AEW every week so most weeks I'll be relying on highlight shows I can watch in my own time and then I'll watch the full show odd weeks. Being inaccessible, while I understand it as you have to watch it there and then or miss out, will only mean I'll almost definitely pay little/no attention to their TV after a few weeks. NXT moving back to proper YouTube highlights means I'll constantly be paying attention to them now and will watch when there's a big week.
was talking more about in america for ratings, for us its great as its easier for me to access as i dont have ITV and would have to look a nefarious ways to get it
sky88 is online now  
Thanks from:
04-10-2019, 12:35   #38
leggo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,965
Oh yeah it makes total sense like, especially considering their challenge is trying to convert YouTube followers into both TV viewers and ticket buyers. There's just a trade-off and, for me, it may be enough to ensure I'm a casual fan at best.
leggo is offline  
04-10-2019, 13:00   #39
ERG89
Registered User
 
ERG89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky88 View Post
the main thing thatll hurt NXT is the fact its available the next day on the network
You can DVR any show on TV now or watch it online minutes after it ends. If people really want to see a show they'll watch it live. Doesn't matter if its a TV series or sport.
ERG89 is offline  
Advertisement
04-10-2019, 13:19   #40
RollieFingers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,569
What time does NXT appear on the network now? Was looking around 10 last night and couldn't see it uploaded. Had to stream, which isn't ideal considering we pay for the network.
RollieFingers is offline  
04-10-2019, 15:19   #41
Pentecost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieFingers View Post
What time does NXT appear on the network now? Was looking around 10 last night and couldn't see it uploaded. Had to stream, which isn't ideal considering we pay for the network.
I'd assume it has to be at least 24 hours after it airs in the US so 1.00am Friday our time?
Pentecost is offline  
Thanks from:
04-10-2019, 17:17   #42
The White Feather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,402
I just watched AEW dynamite from start to finish then I put on NXT from start to finish.

I haven't watched NXT in ages so I felt like a blank canvas although I am familiar with NXT guys.

Enjoyed both shows a lot so its great to have competition.

The crowd for AEW really raised things up from what it was. Enjoyed the opening vignettes from Cody and Geuvara as I don't know him at all. Then Cody gets a cool entrance while Sammy just walks out. Outcome obvious at that point. My wife called Cody "the facebag guy" which was an old WWE ref. She still remembers and loves that gimmick!

Enjoyed the rest of the matches a lot except the awful womens match.They need to do better. Rest of the show was very enjoyable. Straight away the biggest problem is that all the ex WWE guys were made to look great. They need to promote their own stars more. The opening vignette for Guevara was very good but then he doesn't get a cool entrance like cody.

Had no idea of the 2 guys that were with Jericho. The young bucks are guys I kinda know of from reading about them but they look like 12 year olds. They were okay though. Omega I know of too from reading about him. I'm interested to see his feud with Moxley!
I liked the ending a lot though!

NXT was enjoyable too and was put together better but they have been doing it for a while so you would expect that. Great matches all around.

So both shows were very good. Hope AEW keep improving but that was a great start. I will just watch both shows but AEW showed a ton of potential. Just need to promote the new guys a bit more. Very hard to do on the first show though as they needed eyeballs which they got!
The White Feather is offline  
04-10-2019, 18:12   #43
The White Wolf
Registered User
 
The White Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggo View Post
Loved the first week. Quality-wise, I thought NXT absolutely destroyed AEW in the first hour. Riddle/Cole with Balor's appearance afterwards vs Cody in a long, not particularly great match giving himself a dramatic entrance told a story to me. Some of the AEW stuff was cringe like the forced Kevin Smith cameo. It felt like they were trying to prove they could run a WWE show rather than do their own thing: even the layout of the set etc was similar and it felt like the achievement was just having a TV show on TNT that looked professional, rather than pushing any boundaries with content.

Having said that, the second hour of AEW blew the second hour of NXT away for me. The women's match was fascinating and the 6-man was mental. I find it gas that people (not necessarily here mind) are going mad for Swagger now as if he's the saviour of pro-wrestling when they didn't give a rats when he was in Lucha Underground (and he was used really well there too). Opinions just flip-flop depending on what's 'cool'. Balor is cool until he's used as a chip against AEW, then the narrative switches to "Oooh he's been demoted!" Jack Swagger is used as a punchline to show how far Lucha Underground had fallen until he goes against WWE, then he's amazing and going to personally be responsible for the death of Vince McMahon. It's gas.

The fact that AEW won the ratings battle convincingly is the best outcome for all of us. I was convinced WWE would blow them away, just by sheer reach alone rather than any quality etc, and I still think they will in the long run but it's awesome to get a bit of competition and be able to have these chats. Really exciting time to be a fan.
Well for once I can't disagree with you.

I think the E long term will win this unless Cody, Omega and the Bucks prove to be creative geniuses. Jericho presence helps but they don't have the well Trips has.
The White Wolf is offline  
04-10-2019, 18:15   #44
sky88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
Well for once I can't disagree with you.

I think the E long term will win this unless Cody, Omega and the Bucks prove to be creative geniuses. Jericho presence helps but they don't have the well Trips has.
A bad injury spell from some of the elite,& Moxley would be tough to get by. Add in I think Jericho is touring soon they need to make the rest of the roster stars soon
sky88 is online now  
04-10-2019, 20:17   #45
Itssoeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 25,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieFingers View Post
What time does NXT appear on the network now? Was looking around 10 last night and couldn't see it uploaded. Had to stream, which isn't ideal considering we pay for the network.
It airs "live" on the network Friday morning Irish time. I think it's 1/2am or there abouts.
Itssoeasy is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet