Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Radio

• 04-03-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

As a matter of interest has anyone worked in radio programmes independently of the local broadcaster, that airs on the broadcaster?

Any views on local radio?

Excluding Dublin:)

Comments

What do you think of local radio Elmo? What station would be local to you?
    If you gave us some opinion,we could debate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ah that’s my problem being from Dublin most of my local radio is pop and shock jocks.

My little knowledge of local radio is Kfm wlrfm and east coast radio.

What’s it like to work in a local radio and do the pay for content independently produced. What kind of programming do they offer.

Oh maybe everyone on boards is like me, we don’t listen to local radio!

So trying to gauge peoples views on local radio, for example I thought this was very one sided

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/between-the-lines-with-andrea-gilligan/future-local-media-public-service-broadcasting

And a quick scan of this thread, shows its heavily Dublin based (well a few threads on Spin and Nova and one for the Multicity Classic Hits).

This was the latest thread on local radio https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057716009 but like this one general and not about a single local station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

On Radio Kerry, the vast bulk of their content is produced in - house. They have documentaries from independent producers, usually Sound and Vision funded. These are normally used as fillers say on a Monday bank holiday or during Christmas, when the morning current affairs show or other regular shows aren't on. Not sure if they pay for them or the producer just relies on S & V completely.

They used to do more radio plays or history documentaries with drama in them but not as much now.

• Advertisement

Radio5 wrote: »
    They used to do more radio plays or history documentaries with drama in them but not as much now.

Do you think this is down to the recession or just due to a change in programme policy. When did they start to reduced that type of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

I could not honestly put a date on it but it was later than the main recession time (which I put as from 2009 onwards). Some of it may be a change in programme policy, but also producers moving on. For example, Daithi McMahon did a lot of excellent docs for Radio Kerry but I presume he moved away or on to other types of work.

So listening to LMFM, KFM & Eastcoast radio I see little difference in their out put to their Dublin counterparts, perhaps a bit older in terms of music (have only listened in mornings evenings & weekends).

Morning shows on each a music based show (I am calling out LMFM as not very good).

News on those mornings didn’t really reflect the locality, national news with local interest e.g. I think all 3 reported about the changes to local Garda stations and attached their own local Garda changes to the report, same for some HSE story, local crime was reported nationally AFAIK. Nothing genuinely local, sport was a bit better but seemed they had 4 sports of which one was local, 2 nation and 1 slight more national than local.

The evening shows were similar.

It seems the only local aspect was the death notice, advertising(lots of ads) and requests.

I didn’t get to listen to their local chat shows. Airing around 9pm.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

In the Dublin area you also have a number of community stations which play special interest programmes, music and local information. These stations are NearFM (90.3) - North East Dublin, Phoenix (92.5) - Blanchardstown, DSFM (93.9) - Dundrum and the Irish language station Raidió na Life (106.4)

craoltoir wrote: »
    In the Dublin area you also have a number of community stations which play special interest programmes, music and local information. These stations are NearFM (90.3) - North East Dublin, Phoenix (92.5) - Blanchardstown, DSFM (93.9) - Dundrum and the Irish language station Raidió na Life (106.4)

I know, but I am purely talking about Non-Dublin local commercial radio stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

The local commercial stations around the country generally have a high listenership so the locals must like them. The difference with the Dublin commercial stations would be that they play country and Irish music as well as pop music. They would also have local news and information.

craoltoir wrote: »
    The local commercial stations around the country generally have a high listenership so the locals must like them. The difference with the Dublin commercial stations would be that they play country and Irish music as well as pop music. They would also have local news and information.

Generally they are the only local radio station (bar the youth regional radio stations).

I assumed Country music also but on the days that I was listening none play any country, lot of 80s, 90s and 2000s pop.

Local news consisted as I say with a local news report, followed by national news with local interested *2, followed by international news report. (Final 3 reports replicated across all 3 stations.)

Information wise in fairness EastCoast there Sunday Sports programme following the news from Dublin, which was simulcast across the 3 local radio stations and a number of Dublin stations. (I believe from Newstalk/Communicorp).

Advertising wise it was local, some government announcements and some national.

Oh and of course the Death Notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Clare FM for example was defined by its magnificent depth of coverage of the Brendan O'Donnell murders in east Clare in 1994 that paralysed the area as well as south Galway and left the nation agog. Hungry dynamic young journalists working around the clock to provide in depth coverage of a harrowing set of tragedies. This was in advance of the world wide web and the push button world of today. Sadly 25 years on this once vibrant station is but a mere shell of itself and ultimately irrelevant to many local people. Local radio stations west of the n7 have seen a steady decline for decades where now one is indistinguishable from another. 'Zany' guy/crew first thing followed by pothole talk for two hours followed by yawn. Live GAA coverage and intermittent grant aided specialities help to deviate from the daily stupor. It's a bleak vista.

Clare FM .....

When did the decline happen? And is it not across the board not just the stations in the west.

6 - 10 Music Breckfast
    10 - 12 Pothole/Liveline type show
    12 - 3 Music Lunch
    3 - 6 Drive Music
    6 - 7 Local
    7 - 10 Music
    10 - 12 Late Music
    12 - 2 Repeat Pothole/Liveline type show
    2 - 6 Music

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Clare FM for example was defined by its magnificent depth of coverage of the Brendan O'Donnell murders in east Clare in 1994 that paralysed the area as well as south Galway and left the nation agog. Hungry dynamic young journalists working around the clock to provide in depth coverage of a harrowing set of tragedies. This was in advance of the world wide web and the push button world of today. Sadly 25 years on this once vibrant station is but a mere shell of itself and ultimately irrelevant to many local people. Local radio stations west of the n7 have seen a steady decline for decades where now one is indistinguishable from another. 'Zany' guy/crew first thing followed by pothole talk for two hours followed by yawn. Live GAA coverage and intermittent grant aided specialities help to deviate from the daily stupor. It's a bleak vista.

Pothole talk is about local issues, which also feature in local newspapers. It is obviously not yawn/bleak/stupor enough to stop you listening anyway.

Pothole talk is about local issues, which also feature in local newspapers. It is obviously not yawn/bleak/stupor enough to stop you listening anyway.

The clue is in the term 'pothole. Euphemistically speaking it relates to local issues as it clearly suggests which you clearly missed.

Radio schedules have hardly changed or fragmented since the local licences were issued in 1989 and so in 30 years I have occasionally tuned in to local radio.

So essentially listening periodically over a 30 year period, I've seen very very little in the way of change. So is that ok? Thought so. Thanks.

So essentially listening periodically over a 30 year period, I've seen very very little in the way of change.

So how is local radio really providing a full public service? Radio Kerry seems to have a wide schedule, there could be others.

The clue is in the term 'pothole. Euphemistically speaking it relates to local issues as it clearly suggests which you clearly missed.

Radio schedules have hardly changed or fragmented since the local licences were issued in 1989 and so in 30 years I have occasionally tuned in to local radio.

So essentially listening periodically over a 30 year period, I've seen very very little in the way of change. So is that ok? Thought so. Thanks.

If you had said local issues instead of pothole talk, I would have known that you did not mean to derogatory, and I would not have responded. I don't understand how you can say that there is two hours daily of discussion about local issues, and in the same post that the stations are ultimately irrelevant to many local people.

Is the live GAA coverage irrelevant as well?

If you had said local issues instead of pothole talk, I would have known that you did not mean to derogatory, and I would not have responded. I don't understand how you can say that there is two hours daily of discussion about local issues, and in the same post that the stations are ultimately irrelevant to many local people.

Is the live GAA coverage irrelevant as well?

Does it matter? Do people tune into their local station to hear about what's happening or going on? It's debateable. Its a moot point. You cannot ascertain which or whether. Frugality in the sector means local papers are going to the wall, while local radio survives on good will and voluteerism and hasn't evolved in an era when there is super fast updated news services online. Yes it may be local but that doesnt neccesarily mean people local to the station care or listen.

Anecdotally at least, as facts cannot be established bar the unscientific nonsense that is the jnlr, my experience of people in what may be referred to as rural counties have but the merest fleeing interest in their local radio output. Notable exceptions may exist and it doen't mean there isn't quality output.

Yes a live match on a Sunday and/or a programme properly relaying scores and updates in sport can be popular because many care about local gaa. Unless it goes to the very core of a community's soul like job losses on a grand scale then most people remain totally indifferent and unaware even of its existence I would hasten to add.

Does it matter? Do people tune into their local station to hear about what's happening or going on? It's debateable. Its a moot point. You cannot ascertain which or whether.

You managed to ascertain a lot. I can hear two local stations where I am. I would not use what I hear on them, to assume that the ones I can't hear are the same.

• Advertisement

You managed to ascertain a lot. I can hear two local stations where I am. I would not use what I hear on them, to assume that the ones I can't hear are the same.

Indeed and this is what I want to gather.

I am trying to ascertain weather or not Local Radio stations are providing locally produced content for their audience.

I understand that Local Radio is going to be limited as to what it does, due to the area and population that it covers.

Listening to what would be considered 3 of the larger Local Commercial Radio Regions of Kildare, Wicklow and Louth/Meath I cannot to say they are providing anything outside of what RTÉ and Communicorp are providing.

How many journalists do they employ to gather news. It seems to me that all 3 rely on heavily on Music. With local content really only coming the the form of a 2 hour phone in show and Sports. Their hourly news bulletins having only a little in terms of local news, and nightly no local news as it comes from Dublin.

Elmo wrote: »

I am trying to ascertain weather or not Local Radio stations are providing locally produced content for their audience.

I understand that Local Radio is going to be limited as to what it does, due to the area and population that it covers.

Listening to what would be considered 3 of the larger Local Commercial Radio Regions of Kildare, Wicklow and Louth/Meath I cannot to say they are providing anything outside of what RTÉ and Communicorp are providing.

How many journalists do they employ to gather news. It seems to me that all 3 rely on heavily on Music. With local content really only coming the the form of a 2 hour phone in show and Sports. Their hourly news bulletins having only a little in terms of local news, and nightly no local news as it comes from Dublin.

Why don't you contact local radio stations? Seems obvious to me. An internet forum doesn't seem quite so obvious in finding out that information accurately.

Why don't you contact local radio stations? Seems obvious to me. An internet forum doesn't seem quite so obvious in finding out that information accurately.

I think they would say they are. I wanted to also hear people's opinions on Local Commercial Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

The local radio stations have a deal with Newstalk where they get national news items from them. They add relevant local stories to their coverage in-house and when an issue of national importance happens in their area they cover it in-house and provide the content back up the chain for use by Newstalk and their affiliates in other areas.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    The local radio stations have a deal with Newstalk where they get national news items from them. They add relevant local stories to their coverage in-house and when an issue of national importance happens in their area they cover it in-house and provide the content back up the chain for use by Newstalk and their affiliates in other areas.

It’s very limited local news. Even during the day, seems during the day it’s a local opt-out and at night it’s a national news, would I be wrong to suggest that the hourly nightly news is prerecorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

It’s very limited local news. Even during the day, seems during the day it’s a local opt-out and at night it’s a national news, would I be wrong to suggest that the hourly nightly news is prerecorded.

Nightly news is provided centrally because it is not possible to have a news team on hand to produce the news 24/7. During the day you should have a mix of local and national news. Most news bullitins will only have five or six stories and usually two or three will be local.

If you're interested in this stuff, some of the local radio stations do a radio course at night which covers how it all works.

Nightly news is provided centrally because it is not possible to have a news team on hand to produce the news 24/7. During the day you should have a mix of local and national news. Most news bullitins will only have five or six stories and usually two or three will be local.

So nightly news is not pre-recorded?

We did point out what the daytime news was in previous posts.

I am not convinced local commercial radio stations are providing a public service. Or that doing a course with them would prove this.

During the day you should have a mix of local and national news. Most news bullitins will only have five or six stories and usually two or three will be local. .

Today absolutely no local news in the headlines

1. Brexit
    2. FF Votegate
    3. Motor Cycle accident (Tipperary)
    4. HEA report (neither even mentioning their own areas)
    5. Northern Ireland laws
    6. An International Story that slips my mind.

But none of these are local. I assume the same stories will be carried tonight on the national service!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭smallfridge

Today absolutely no local news in the headlines

1. Brexit
    2. FF Votegate
    3. Motor Cycle accident (Tipperary)
    4. HEA report (neither even mentioning their own areas)
    5. Northern Ireland laws
    6. An International Story that slips my mind.

But none of these are local. I assume the same stories will be carried tonight on the national service!

Which station was this on? To be fair almost all Local stations cover their area quite well. And certainly most local stories that are big news in the area will be covered on the morning talk show also. (which also in itself can generate more local content for news later in the day)

As for nightly news, as pointed out above, Newstalk's wire service carry hourly news at night and it isn't pre-recorded, it would be complete madness to record a bulletin should a huge story then happen (also sports news will be live too in order to have up to date results etc..)

There are one or two local stations with 5 or 6 full time journalists and some stations 2 or 3.

• Advertisement

Which station was this on? To be fair almost all Local stations cover their area quite well. And certainly most local stories that are big news in the area will be covered on the morning talk show also. (which also in itself can generate more local content for news later in the day)

Almost exactly them same script on KFM & LMFM slightly different order.

Advertisement