Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Crime Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

SozBbz wrote: »
    Just listened to The thing about Pam by NBC Dateline.

Its a story they;d been following for years on the tv show, put into podcast format.

Shocking case in itself, almost comical at times if it wasnt so tragic.

Thank you for this.

Story is so weird and as you say comical at times.
    Really enjoyed it as had no idea where the story was going.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Thank you for this.

Story is so weird and as you say comical at times.
    Really enjoyed it as had no idea where the story was going.

if you haven't listened to "Dirty John" you'd probably enjoy it as it is sort of a similar style of delivery and also a pretty mad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

glasso wrote: »
    if you haven't listened to "Dirty John" you'd probably enjoy it as it is sort of a similar style of delivery and also a pretty mad story.

Is this still worth a listen even though I have watched the Netflix series?

Just finished The Assassination by BBC World Service about the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, well worth a listen.

Is this still worth a listen even though I have watched the Netflix series?

Just finished The Assassination by BBC World Service about the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, well worth a listen.

You could always try it. I didn't watch the series.

Bhutto was ok I thought yes.

Who the hell is Hamish
    Snowball
    Over my dead body season 1

Three other ones you might like

some of the Dateline NBC episodes (originally tv episodes but now released as podcasts recently) are not bad really for a true crime fix and as there was a lot of material there, that means a lot of podcasts (>130)

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/3hsr8-91ed0/Dateline-NBC-Podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

In case you missed it Episode 11 of Swindled features "The GPO Girl (Samantha Azzopardi)".

Swindled is a great podcast and the narrator gets most of the Irish pronounciations correct!

This is a superb podcast. Has me hooked.

Probably mentioned already but I really enjoyed 'The Shrink Next Door'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is there any cases similar to Sophie Tuscan case? I read the book and it was very interesting.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Is there any cases similar to Sophie Tuscan case? I read the book and it was very interesting.

There is a podcast about this on Audible called West Cork. Quite good, I signed up for 30 day free trial to listen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

There is a podcast about this on Audible called West Cork. Quite good, I signed up for 30 day free trial to listen to it.

Oh I did the same! Looking for anything similar.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Oh I did the same! Looking for anything similar.

You might enjoy Death in Ice Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

You might enjoy Death in Ice Valley

+1 for this. I'm listening to that at the moment and it is really fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just started binging Redhanded - lots of cases and the women who present have a great way of analysing it while staying fresh & engaged. I thought I wouldn't like it to begin with because I don't like the 'banter' element of some true crime podcasts but these ladies seem to have struck the balance very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't think much of Death in Ice Valley - Lacked detail and think it might have been too long ago.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Not a recommendation but a warning. I started listening to 'The Clearing', a true crime podcast from Gimlet featuring April Balascio, daughter of American serial killer Edward Wayne Edwards. I only lasted to episode 4 of the 8 episode series as it was so unfocused I just couldn't get into it.

Did anyone listen to it and enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Not a recommendation but a warning. I started listening to 'The Clearing', a true crime podcast from Gimlet featuring April Balascio, daughter of American serial killer Edward Wayne Edwards. I only lasted to episode 4 of the 8 episode series as it was so unfocused I just couldn't get into it.

Did anyone listen to it and enjoy it?

I finished it but wouldnt say I thoroughly enjoyed it, agreed it lacked focus and was all over the place. A lot of conjecture in it as well I felt. Not one of my favourites but was grand for a car journey.

I have just finished listening to The Missing Cryptoqueen, a BBC podcast - Dr Ruja Ignatova persuaded millions to join her financial revolution. Then she disappeared. Why? Jamie Bartlett presents a story of greed, deceit and herd madness.
    Interesting to see how easily people get sucked in to believing these scams, in fairness Dr Ruja seemed to have all the credentials!!

(As an aside I also like the lack of advertising on the BBC podcasts:D)

New podcast from RTE called The nobody Zone, episodes are uploaded every monday.

About an Irishman in London in the 80's who starts confessing to multiple murders. First episode seems promising.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

New podcast from RTE called The nobody Zone, episodes are uploaded every monday.

About an Irishman in London in the 80's who starts confessing to multiple murders. First episode seems promising.

I listened to the first episode of this tonight and thought it was brilliant. I'm looking forward to the rest.

I listened to the first episode of this tonight and thought it was brilliant. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Second episode out today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Second episode out today.

I'll have to wait til it's all done, I dont have the patience to wait week to week:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Bardstown.

A pretty little town in Kentucky has suddenly turned into a scary place in the last seven years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I was looking forward to this but very disappointed. This podcast is so in love with itself, particularly the narrator, who thinks he is working on something epic. It's very slow, the repetition of the actual interviews by the narrator becomes tedious.

Not sure I'll bother with episode three.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Redhanded is very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Recently started listening to one called Murder Mile. Surprised no one has mentioned it up to this point.

It's UK True Crime and the guys style is a bit eccentric. I think the narrator himself is a bit "off". But I kind of like his blackly comic style.

I don't really know why in this case it works for me, I usually hate comedic true crime, there's something so wrong usually for me when I get the sense that cruelty and murder is being played for a laugh.

But the guy knows how to tell a good story and the scripting is very witty and the wordplay is tight. And he's a talented enough voice artist too. I think I find it easier to stomach his comedy, because I think he uses it more in the service of portraying the narcissistic and selfish side of the murders. He doesn't really mock the victims.

The most bizarre aspect of the pod is the feature at the end of most episodes of a segment called the "mini-mile". It's got nothing to do with the true crime, just the host going on about his daily life. And this guy is a bit odd. He'll fill you in on his living situation - he lives on some houseboat - his battle with his weight - a never ending battle, he loves cake, and all sorts of other stuff.

It feels unusual to hear this fella going on about all this minuatae and typically he's verbally ticking and bleeping away the whole time. It can feel like you are listening to a man have a low key nervous breakdown.

But, it is at the end and you don't have to listen to it and at the end of a multipart series he'll release an omnibus edition of the series with all the episodes compiled together but with all his audio diary and tourettes stuff cut out.

It's strange, the whole show is strange. I'm surprised that it isn't a bit more of a cult thing. It's definitely one of the more idiosyncratic true crime pods out there.

I was looking forward to this but very disappointed. This podcast is so in love with itself, particularly the narrator, who thinks he is working on something epic. It's very slow, the repetition of the actual interviews by the narrator becomes tedious.

It's amazing how differently people can react to things. I just said last night that I think he's my favourite narrator of any podcast I've ever listened to. His voice is wonderful as is his pacing.

It's amazing how differently people can react to things. I just said last night that I think he's my favourite narrator of any podcast I've ever listened to. His voice is wonderful as is his pacing.

He's got a very good voice. Sort of reminded me of Craig Beck, who writes and narrates his own motivational books.. See what you think

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Art-of-Happiness-Peace-Purpose-Audiobook/B01LZH6ZYQ?qid=1583360618&sr=1-2&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_2&pf_rd_p=c6e316b8-14da-418d-8f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=WN15AW3P47WVGV0CBX2D

I did listen to episode three after all. Seems like it takes a curve, as they start to question the reliability of the guy that is one of the main sources for the story. I did laugh when I heard the interview with Ray D'Arcy though, as Ray laps up his tall stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

just listened to ep3 there,
    he has kind of told us that most of ep1 and ep2 were not really coming from a reliable source so its almost like its back to square 1
    , loosing interest in this - ill listen next week but i'm not going to be as keen and eager to hear it.

The Nobody Zone Ep 3:
    Yes episode 3 calls into question everything said in Episode 2 but that in itself was fascinating to me. How in the hell did this guy manage to publish a book and do the morning TV and radio circuit unchallenged when in that book he accuses the home office of covering up the crimes of a serial killer and elevates his own position to that of chief investigator of the original case, none of which is true. That book is still for sale online on multiple sites - I checked. We really do live in a post-truth world.

• Advertisement

dball wrote: »
    just listened to ep3 there,
    he has kind of told us that most of ep1 and ep2 were not really coming from a reliable source so its almost like its back to square 1
    , loosing interest in this - ill listen next week but i'm not going to be as keen and eager to hear it.

I always wonder about the "set up" for these podcasts. It seems to me that some of these documentary makers do all their research and interviews, and then arrange information that was acquired linearly in an order that makes the story most interesting.
    Surely as was said above, all the information that they got from Geoff should have just been ignored and left out of the podcast altogether.

Advertisement