Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Crime Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Has anyone listened to the new east area rapist podcast that follows up with his arrest ? Can’t think of the name of it and think it might only be available on audible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

rekluse wrote: »
    Has anyone listened to the new east area rapist podcast that follows up with his arrest ? Can’t think of the name of it and think it might only be available on audible.

Do you mean the golden gate killer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The podcast 'Man in the Window' is about the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer, this may be the podcast you're thinking of. I listened to it. It was good but not great.

Details can be found here:
    https://wondery.com/shows/man-in-the-window/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Go listen to last nights Red Handed, fook me the audio is so creepy. Its the Gable Tostee case where his tinder date 'goes off the balcony' its going to be a two parter, well worth a listen.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The podcast 'Man in the Window' is about the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer, this may be the podcast you're thinking of. I listened to it. It was good but not great.

Details can be found here:
    https://wondery.com/shows/man-in-the-window/

Cheers I actually found it, called ‘evil has a name ‘ but seems to be only available on audible. Apparently goes into detail about the investigation and how he was captured. Might sign up for the free trial to give it a listen.

• Advertisement

Cheers I actually found it, called ‘evil has a name ‘ but seems to be only available on audible. Apparently goes into detail about the investigation and how he was captured. Might sign up for the free trial to give it a listen.

Found this on YouTube if anyone interested, ‘Evil has a name 1’ uploaded by Peter Murphy. Seems very good, interviews with lead detective , victims and colleagues and goes into details of the arrest and investigation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Just finished the ballad of billy balls.

I really enjoyed it, but it wont be for everyone. It ends up more about the relationship with the narrators and her mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I want to recommend the 'Cold' podcast about the disappearance and likely murder of a US mother Susan Powell by her husband. It was so gripping I just couldn't put it down (so to speak). I've just finished it and it was really well told and completely fcuked up. Well worth a listen imo:

https://thecoldpodcast.com/

Also Criminal is my favourite podcast without a doubt. Phoebe Judge has such a soothing voice and the stories she tells are always so interesting. I'm always left wanting to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I want to recommend the 'Cold' podcast about the disappearance and likely murder of a US mother Susan Powell by her husband. It was so gripping I just couldn't put it down (so to speak). I've just finished it and it was really well told and completely fcuked up. Well worth a listen imo:

https://thecoldpodcast.com/

Also Criminal is my favourite podcast without a doubt. Phoebe Judge has such a soothing voice and the stories she tells are always so interesting. I'm always left wanting to know more.

There is a very good documentary on that one also on youtube, the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell.

Sky have a new documentary series starting in November about it.

Such a weird story and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Just listened to The thing about Pam by NBC Dateline.

Its a story they;d been following for years on the tv show, put into podcast format.

Shocking case in itself, almost comical at times if it wasnt so tragic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Enjoying the Dateline ones, thanks for recommendation, but by god how could anyone watch it on tv there are so many ad breaks!

SozBbz wrote: »

Its a story they;d been following for years on the tv show, put into podcast format.

Thanks for this, great podcast with excellent story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

In no particular order:
    Criminal
    Casefile
    MensRea
    They walk among us
    UK true crime each Tuesday
    Swindled
    Pretend
    Darknet diaries
    Trace evidence
    True crime island
    Nordic true crime
    Evidence locker
    Crime junkie
    Con artists

RebBJ

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Cheers for the Darknet Diaries recommendation, it sounds like one I'll like a lot if done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

SozBbz wrote: »

Can’t stand his voice though ??
    He’s so condescending!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

American Scandal - multi part episodes on scandals in politics and big business
    Crime in Sports - more true crime than murder this is an excellent podcast presented by two stand up comedians about sportspeople who are involved in crime
    Crime Junkie - very popular, the girls in it can become quite grating at times but the cases are interesting
    Happy Face - podcast which interviews the family of a well known serial killer and how it effected their lives
    Hollywood Crime Scene - a lighthearted and hilarious take on true crime in and around Hollywood and California, excellent hosts
    Small Town Murder - again a comedic take on crimes that occur in tiny towns in America
    The Minds of Madness - a very sombre true crime podcast about people with mental health issues that end up in murder/crime
    The Teachers Pet - another podcast from Australia about a crazy true crime story
    The Thing About Pam - crazy true crime story that starts off with the murder of a lady in what looks like an open and shut case but greats crazier and crazier
    They Walk Among Us - excellent UK based true crime stories
    True Crime All The Time - again the hosts can be a little grating and they regularly go off topic as part of their "shtick" very interesting cases/profiles though
    Wrong Skin - podcast from Australia about a traditional Australian outback relationship that was forbidden by elders

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

doughef wrote: »
    Can’t stand his voice though ??
    He’s so condescending!!!

I really liked his voice! Very relaxing I thought.

Culchie_85 wrote: »
    I really liked his voice! Very relaxing I thought.

Same here, really relaxing and engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

2 eps into Payne Lindsey's new podcast "Radio Rental" and it's very good. Just fast forward the god awful guy at the start who introduces it.

Who the hell is Hamish

series about a recent enough serial con-man in Australia. some prick.

Snowball

series about an American con-woman.

both decent imo.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    Who the hell is Hamish

series about a recent enough serial con-man in Australia. some prick.

in particular after you've gone through the main podcast there is an interview with a young girl (now 23) caught up in this. heartbreaking in terms of how he fooked up her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

in particular after you've gone through the main podcast there is an interview with a young girl (now 23) caught up in this. heartbreaking in terms of how he fooked up her life.

Just finished this, Hamish was some piece of work:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

In case you missed it Episode 11 of Swindled features "The GPO Girl (Samantha Azzopardi)".

Swindled is a great podcast and the narrator gets most of the Irish pronounciations correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

The lighthouse

About the belguim lad who went missing in byron bay Australia. Great listening and still ongoing

spuddy90 wrote: »
    The lighthouse

About the belguim lad who went missing in byron bay Australia. Great listening and still ongoing

yeah it's not bad but it's going to end as it started - no real explanation of how he met his end. most likely he just drowned - occam's razor.

have to say that Byron Bay is one of the most over-rated places that I've ever been to.

and I had the misfortune of being in that cheeky monkeys once - what a sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p071k0jv/episodes/downloads
    Paradise the story of a 40 year old cold case involving two British backpackers. Well worth a listen.

New podcast about the well-known McAreavey case

Murder in Mauritius

Voiced by her husband John.

He is doing it for the purpose of bringing it back into focus due to exasperation with the authorities over in Mauritius.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

New podcast about the well-known McAreavey case

Murder in Mauritius

Voiced by her husband John.

He is doing it for the purpose of bringing it back into focus due to exasperation with the authorities over in Mauritius.

Will check this one out. Hopefully he adopts an unbiased view.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Will check this one out. Hopefully he adopts an unbiased view.

it's actually pretty good so far - has other people in on it not just himself.

interesting to hear what it was like going through the trial etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Death in Ice Valley - a really interesting story about a woman found dead in a remote area of Norway.

Tunnel 28 - a story about a team of students building a tunnel under the Berlin Wall .

Both made by the BBC - fantastic production

Advertisement