Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ronan Collins Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Has the Met Eireann 12.50pm forecast on the RC programe changed to a different time, or has it been scrapped? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

RubyK wrote: »
    Has the Met Eireann 12.50pm forecast on the RC programe changed to a different time, or has it been scrapped? Just curious.

They were doing it oddly last week namely ending the show and then going to the forecast instead of it being part of the programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I like Ronan Too, there are too many women on Radio now, too excitable and too much oestrogen.

Ronan has a lovely voice for radio and his music choice is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

tretorn wrote: »
    I like Ronan Too, there are too many women on Radio now, too excitable and too much oestrogen.

Ronan has a lovely voice for radio and his music choice is good.

Aaah yes... they should never have built the M1

I miss the 40 minute delays each time going through Swords, Balbriggan, Drogheda, and the rest.Great towns ,lovely people, lovely scenery, should never have changed anything.... I mean who wants to get to Belfast in just over 90 mins when you could spend 4and a half hours sitting in bolttlenecks.

Block off the frikken M1, I don’t want any change.

No frikken way, stick with what we know, the chipper in Bellingham always had the same Ray an chips going through, always the same, you could have ray and chips or chips and ray....auld lad behind the counter always had the same patter,
    “Aaah will you look who it is, welcome to the chipper, what’ll it be, ray & chips or chips & ray.

I just love the sameness of Ronan, same inflections, same sayings... still holding hands, roundy birthdays, same music......sure lookit, what eeejit would want that to change..... Ronan forever..... I just love the sameness of it all.

So I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Aaah yes... they should never have built the M1

I miss the 40 minute delays each time going through Swords, Balbriggan, Drogheda, and the rest.Great towns ,lovely people, lovely scenery, should never have changed anything.... I mean who wants to get to Belfast in just over 90 mins when you could spend 4and a half hours sitting in bolttlenecks.

Block off the frikken M1, I don’t want any change.

No frikken way, stick with what we know, the chipper in Bellingham always had the same Ray an chips going through, always the same, you could have ray and chips or chips and ray....auld lad behind the counter always had the same patter,
    “Aaah will you look who it is, welcome to the chipper, what’ll it be, ray & chips or chips & ray.

I just love the sameness of Ronan, same inflections, same sayings... still holding hands, roundy birthdays, same music......sure lookit, what eeejit would want that to change..... Ronan forever..... I just love the sameness of it all.

So I do.

1850 715 815

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

1850 715 815

Brenners will get no sympathy from Joe. He's still lamenting the closure of Clerys and Guineys.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Brenners will get no sympathy from Joe. He's still lamenting the closure of Clerys and Guineys.

What..... bring back Woolworths and stuff.

Always bought my trousers in Michael Guineys, very comfortable, plenty of ballroom, not like those frikken strides from Blue Harbour, M&S....frikken jocks cost €4.50 and €4.10 worth is lodged up your arse crack after an hour.:mad:

Anyway sorry, off topic, lost the run of mesell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Chr_Fanboy

The logical replacement for Ronan Collins is Ian Dempsey, he'd bring down the age of the average listener by about 25 years and it would be an nice pre retirement gig for him where he could choose his own music .

Something odd going on with the show .

Listening live today they faded him out while he was talking at 1255 to do the weather forecast

So I decided to check the show out on the player to hear again exactly what happened except on the player it's a complete show to 1pm .

I was listening on LW if that made any difference

Somebody else mentioned that on another thread. Sean O Rourke or Liveline I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,617 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

SPDUB wrote: »
    Something odd going on with the show .

Listening live today they faded him out while he was talking at 1255 to do the weather forecast

So I decided to check the show out on the player to hear again exactly what happened except on the player it's a complete show to 1pm .

I was listening on LW if that made any difference
    Any chance it was pre-recorded, I wonder?

Any chance it was pre-recorded, I wonder?

I forgot about this topic but I did find out what was happening

Not pre recorded

They decided to drop the sea area forecast from within the programme in mid January and put it out on DAB at 1255pm

And though they are scheduled to shut LW in June they decided that the sea area forecast would also go out on LW which means fading out the show ( 95% of time within a song )

Seems an odd decision to put it out on LW for 5 months ( and get people used to it being there ) when they could have just dropped it as part of the change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

That's funny. Not a regular listener, but just today I tuned in from 12:50 and wondered to myself did I miss the weather forecast or not!

No. As stated above it hasn't been on for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Be careful what you wish for. I'm not against them replacing Ronan Collins but not if they bring in another presenter who's highly slappable. Given their track record I wouldn't trust them.

Yes. What would be the purpose of any change? For example is there a reason to try to lower the age demographic of the audience? The result will be jingles and a presenter (or two!) that speaks "yoof" and invites texts. Repeating "fi-un-fi-fi-un" like Darcy.

Ronan seems knowledgeable about his subject and his music choice can turn-up a few surprises. He "sounds" enthusiastic and interested. He does "proper" requests for families and spouses who I imagine listening out for their own request.
    In contrast - and I'll await the incoming rotten veg. - John Creedon who gets so many accolades, presents the most tedious and infuriating requests or rather, pointless name-checks. And it passes for entertaining banter. There! I've said it.

Yes. What would be the purpose of any change? For example is there a reason to try to lower the age demographic of the audience? The result will be jingles and a presenter (or two!) that speaks "yoof" and invites texts. Repeating "fi-un-fi-fi-un" like Darcy.

Ronan seems knowledgeable about his subject and his music choice can turn-up a few surprises. He "sounds" enthusiastic and interested. He does "proper" requests for families and spouses who I imagine listening out for their own request.
    In contrast - and I'll await the incoming rotten veg. - John Creedon who gets so many accolades, presents the most tedious and infuriating requests or rather, pointless name-checks. And it passes for entertaining banter. There! I've said it.
    Give John Kelly on lyric a shot. Pretty good also.

Ronan’s cadence and patter hasn’t changed for the last twenty years.

For Jaysus sake it’s time to freshen it up.

Up down up down up down..... .:mad:

Give John Kelly on lyric a shot. Pretty good also.

I learned only recently that JK used to present in the afternoon. Somehow that doesn't seem right. JK is a pleasure more suited to the evening I'd say.
    Maybe because he deserves/demands attention?

Ronan’s cadence and patter hasn’t changed for the last twenty years.

For Jaysus sake it’s time to freshen it up.

Up down up down up down..... .:mad:

Okay. Maybe a bit sing-song, it's true. But as mentioned, a change might not be an improvement. I sometimes marvel at how they can maintain that upbeat tone; day-in, day-out
    What about the same text with a different voice each week. Ronan's text could be fed into some electronic device; like that automated Chinese newsreader.

• Advertisement

Okay. Maybe a bit sing-song, it's true. But as mentioned, a change might not be an improvement. I sometimes marvel at how they can maintain that upbeat tone; day-in, day-out
    What about the same text with a different voice each week. Ronan's text could be fed into some electronic device; like that automated Chinese newsreader.

It’s a matter of taste Wheels, I have nothing against Ronan, seems a very good guy, but at 1200hrs ,I either switch off, change the dial, or go out and clean the budgies cage.

You like the patter, the roundy birthdays, the up and down breezy cadence...the feeling that the format will never change from opening line to closing comments

Fine.... different strokes...... not for this listener.

It’s a matter of taste Wheels, I have nothing against Ronan, seems a very good guy, but at 1200hrs ,I either switch off, change the dial, or go out and clean the budgies cage.

You like the patter, the roundy birthdays, the up and down breezy cadence...the feeling that the format will never change from opening line to closing comments

Fine.... different strokes...... not for this listener.

Hah! I don't think I went that far. You may have noticed I don't like requests.
    My ideal music show would have zero or minimal chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'd listen to Ronan most days to be honest, it's perfect for me after a solid five hours of current affairs.

I actually like the predictability of it.
    Marking the anniversaries of singer's who have passed with the same song every year, birthdays, the only guy who still plays showbands without a bit of irony and the versions of O Holy Night throughout December to name but a few.

In the modern era of zany presenters (Shay Byrne), Ronan's predictability is refreshing.

Long may it continue.

Hah! I don't think I went that far. You may have noticed I don't like requests.
    My ideal music show would have zero or minimal chat.

RTE GOLD. That’s the one for you wheels.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I'd listen to Ronan most days to be honest, it's perfect for me after a solid five hours of current affairs.

I actually like the predictability of it.
    Marking the anniversaries of singer's who have passed with the same song every year, birthdays, the only guy who still plays showbands without a bit of irony and the versions of O Holy Night throughout December to name but a few.

In the modern era of zany presenters (Shay Byrne), Ronan's predictability is refreshing.

Long may it continue.

Musicians' anniversaries/birthdays is a good feature. Often followed by some classic track I'd never hear otherwise.
    A break from current affairs at that time of day is welcome. Any update to the slot that involves zany, chat, or that dreaded phrase "text me about anything .." would be a turn-off..
    Showband tracks are of course listened to with irony.

padd b1975 wrote: »

Long may it continue.
    it isn't a binary choice between Shay Byrne and Ronan Collins, there are plenty of alternatives who would be very welcome in that slot, from John Kelly, as mentioned earlier, to Lillian Smith, or Aedín Gormley, or maybe even Gay Byrne when he returns to radio.

I'd even settle for Marty Whelan.

I think a lot of us just tune out when Ronan Collins comes on, the show only appeals to the blue-rinse brigade, harking after some barely remembered dance hall scene in some Midlands backwater in the 1960s, a simpler time before Vatican II, sex and other dangerous notions were invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I don't have a problem with Ronan as a presenter but I don't listen to the show because of the music. Radio 1 suffers from trying to be all things to all men - what is its target demographic? If there is one.. Would John Creedon's playlists be considered to be too racy for that time of the day?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I don't have a problem with Ronan as a presenter but I don't listen to the show because of the music. Radio 1 suffers from trying to be all things to all men - what is its target demographic? If there is one.. Would John Creedon's playlists be considered to be too racy for that time of the day?

I think it's a show that tries to appeal to everybody. The odd time in the car I have it on and he plays stuff I would not be interested in (show band style stuff, crooners etc). Other times, he can play some great tunes from the 60s, 70s and even 80s that wouldn't be out of place on a classic rock show. I always get the impression RTE just let Ronan do his thing. He is basically a buffer zone between the the morning and lunchtime news/current affairs. He does what he does very well. At 217,000 listeners per show, he must be doing something right.

mzungu wrote: »
    I think it's a show that tries to appeal to everybody. The odd time in the car I have it on and he plays stuff I would not be interested in (show band style stuff, crooners etc). Other times, he can play some great tunes from the 60s, 70s and even 80s that wouldn't be out of place on a classic rock show. I always get the impression RTE just let Ronan do his thing. He is basically a buffer zone between the the morning and lunchtime news/current affairs. He does what he does very well. At 217,000 listeners per show, he must be doing something right.

How do you deduce that......the number of listeners per show really is not a good representation about how “right” someone is doing.

Could it be that the coterie who tune into RTE R1 are too lazy to switch stations or switch off before The News at One.

Lookit..... Ronan is a good guy.....but....the same auld patter, same auld up-down- down -up delivery has, in my opinion gone past its sell by.

Ronan sounds as he could do the show in his sleep, no change, same patter, same content, same format, for the last 20 years!

C’mon dudes.........time to freshen things up.

Say goodbye to the 1970s

• Advertisement

I find the only problem with the RC programme is that clown Duffy is taking up more and more time during it to promote his drivel.

Advertisement