Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2017, 10:21   #46
pg633

There are rewilding projects happening in Britain.

http://www.rewildingbritain.org.uk/r...introductions/

I don't think we have the space for wolves but there are plenty of other things that could be done.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 10:21   #47
arctictree

They would need to be fenced in, and that fence maintained.

As a sheep farmer, there would only be one result if a wolf was caught in a field with my flock.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 10:30   #48
DrDonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictree View Post
They would need to be fenced in, and that fence maintained.
A zoo by another name.

Inroducing wolves is a non starter. It would only be done for our pleasure; it would be of no advantage to the poor wolves put to live there.
23-03-2017, 10:39   #49
Conor74

How did this get to 4 pages?

It can't happen, and it won't happen. Ever. Go to one of our National Parks, hike around Killarney, around the Reeks (where dogs are now banned, because we can't even manage to control poodles). Fantasy stuff, too much Game of Thrones on telly.
(3) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 10:47   #50
JupiterKid

Ok - so reintroducing the wolf may be a non runner. But what about wild boar and beavers?

Obviously introducing lions and bears may have some negative side effects...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 10:51   #51
Agricola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
How did this get to 4 pages?

It can't happen, and it won't happen. Ever. Go to one of our National Parks, hike around Killarney, around the Reeks (where dogs are now banned, because we can't even manage to control poodles). Fantasy stuff, too much Game of Thrones on telly.
Exactly.

Pure madness. We haven't anything remotely like the size of wilderness needed to sustain them or even any natural prey for them to hunt.

And even if we did, considering what went on with eagles and how much certain sectors of society like curious pursuits such as "lamping" etc, I'd hazard a guess that most of them would be poisoned, shot, or captured in short order!
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 10:54   #52
tabby aspreme

And what of other megafauna? Some ecologists have suggested introducing predators such as Lions, Rhinos and the like to North America. Would you think lions and bears in the Irish countryside would be madness? Discuss...[/quote]

Next time you are in Dublin zoo hop over the fence in the African plains and after a leisurely stroll around report back to us .

The country is not overrun with foxes , less foxes = more rabbits and rats

Last edited by tabby aspreme; 23-03-2017 at 11:45.
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 10:55   #53
Agricola

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby aspreme View Post
Would you think lions and bears in the Irish countryside would be madness? Discuss...
Well it would certainly make Sunday mountain walks a bit more exciting.
(2) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 11:01   #54
Boom_Bap
Landfill

Advertisement
23-03-2017, 11:15   #55
BrokenArrows

It would be insane to introduce a dangerous predatory species into Ireland.
Sure why not bring back snakes. Would be a great laugh.
23-03-2017, 11:49   #56
Banned

[QUOTE=JupiterKid;103001692]Ok - so reintroducing the wolf may be a non runner. But what about wild boar and beavers?

Obviously introducing lions and bears may have some negative side effects...[/QUOTE]

Just a tad.
23-03-2017, 11:52   #57
denartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
Plenty of private property.

Less than 3,000 hectares of public park.

It's like saying "I have a fish tank in the sitting room, I'd like to keep a shark..."
I used to have a shark in a fish tank in the sitting room. He was called George.

What I'd really like is for them to introduce a few sea eagles to patrol around Dublin city. Might cut down on the seagulls a bit.
23-03-2017, 12:06   #58
JupiterKid

Well, Eurasian beavers have been successfully reintroduced to Scotland so I can't see why they couldn't be here.

It seems to be farmers who are most opposed to species reintroduction. And their concerns are valid but the ecotourism potential of beaver reintroduction could be considerable.

I also think shooting and poisoning reintroduced eagles is despicable and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It seems we still have quite an immature attitude to wildlife here in Ireland.

Last edited by JupiterKid; 23-03-2017 at 12:13.
(3) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 12:14   #59

This is all because of Game of Thrones isn't it
23-03-2017, 12:25   #60
Nift

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzypish View Post
For the purpose of conversation good post OP and what I'm about to write is not aimed at you but the idea: **** no thats a terrible idea. The areas they did it in the states were remote to some degree. Theres no spot in Ireland bar the top of a mountain where your not a quarter day from someone. No matter where you put them they would interfere with farmland. They already have problems re introducing large birds of prey due to farmers shooting them. Wolves are so ****ing dangerous that during WW2, the Russians and Germans had a cease fire to kill the wolf population due to predation on the soldiers. If you argue the wolves were starving in that situation then I say that the introduced wolves to Ireland will only be a problem if they get hungry enough?!?! As a people we have forgotten but we exterminated the population for a reason. Wolves would control the deer population and foxes and all that stuff BUT we'd have to control the wolf population. Lets all be thankful that the most dangerous **** we deal with is an Irate badger or a thicket of nettles.
It was World War One and its not why we exterminated Wolves.

Think you are over stretching with the danger angle there.

We should introduce more i say, we have the least amount of Fauna in Europe i think. Was watching Wild Ireland on bbc and its beautiful but also kind of sad that all we have is birds and migratory wales for the most part. All because of bloodthirsty humans.

The last wolf in Ireland was killed in 1786...so it's hardly outlandish as it seems. Game of Thrones my arse.

Last edited by Nift; 23-03-2017 at 12:31.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion