Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

21-03-2017, 10:20   #1

Calls for State to build Mosque in Roscommon

A Longford based Pakistani business man has called for the government to build a mosque in Roscommon, for the newly arrived Syrians. He apparently claims that to be there in Ballaghadereen is a "punishment " for them, and that they are being discriminated against, etc.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...sque-1.3017962
Fcuk that nonsense, I say. Let him put his money where his big mouth is and fund one himself. He might take the time to acquaint himself with our culture and laws. This isn't some Islamic dominated dump, rooted in the Middle Ages, which funds mosques, or any other type of religious building.
Advertisement
21-03-2017, 10:35   #2
Cee-Jay-Cee

Sure let him call for a mosque all he wants, it's not like anyone will actually listen to him. Twat.
21-03-2017, 10:36   #3
Potential-Monke

No
21-03-2017, 10:37   #4

Just read the article. wow.
(3) thanks from:
21-03-2017, 10:40   #5
El_Duderino 09

Let them book a room in the local community centre for the hours they want it. Or meet in someone's house for an aul pray whenever they like.

Note this isn't the refugees themselves calling for a mosque, but this kind of guff could taint anyone's opinion against Muslim refugees.
Advertisement
21-03-2017, 10:43   #6
Banned

Quick reading that I first thought it was a call for a statue to MmcG ...

He might have a point about it being a Punishment living in Ballaghadereen...
21-03-2017, 10:52   #7
Coffee Fulled Runner

There is already a big mosque in Ballyhaunis which is around 15 mins drive from Ballaghaderreen. There is also a house owned by a cleric in Ballaghaderreen which is used as a mosque for anyone who can't make the 15 minute journey to Ballyhaunis Both towns have a big sunni Muslim population and are well able to fund the building their own mosque as already proved without the state getting involved.

Last edited by Coffee Fulled Runner; 21-03-2017 at 10:55.
21-03-2017, 10:53   #8
jester77

Ah yeah, that old punishment of to hell or to Connaught
21-03-2017, 11:06   #9
suicide_circus

Hahahahahaha

On your bike
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2017, 11:10   #10
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

If the state funded the building of churches and places of worship for other denominations, then I'd have no problem with them doing so for a mosque. But they don't, if a religious denomination wants to build a church, synagogue, temple, meeting house or whatever they have to stump up for it themselves. So I fail to see how this is any different.
21-03-2017, 11:11   #11

I suppose Roscommon could do with a USP.
Thanks from:
21-03-2017, 11:23   #12
The Oort Cloud

Quote:
He apparently claims that to be there in Ballaghadereen is a "punishment " for them.
Here we are giving them a safe haven with no worry of dying in war, we open our hands to them and give them all refuge, and this guy is saying that it would be a Punishment to settle them for a few months in Roscommon. I give up.

These refugees will only be in Roscommon for a few months and then they will be housed across the counties of Ireland, so what is he talking about, it's not like they will be imprisoned indefinitely in a concentration camp. Talk about entitled.
21-03-2017, 11:38   #13

Article (especially the quotes in it) come over like something out of the Onion, only not as subtle so more like Waterford Whispers. Especially with one 15 mins away and a local house used for people who can't make the trip. Amazing how he would try to describe robe the area as "punishment" for people fleeing a war zone, and all it's going to achieve is making local people (and with all due respect to Roscommon, not an area too familiar with much migration I would imagine) more likely to get their backs up over refugees.
Thanks from:
21-03-2017, 11:52   #14
The Oort Cloud

I really don't understand what the problem is with Roscommon, I used to camp down there many years ago and it is beautiful in scenery. To be honest, I wouldn't mind living there in the sticks with all the scenery. If you have a car then the sky's the limit, lovely quiet and comfortable place to live.

The main thing in regards to this guy on the IT's is that he is not fully up to date on the government initiative in the case of these refugees. He doesn't understand that they will be housed in different locations in the months to come. He should understand this before be mouths off about it.
(3) thanks from:
21-03-2017, 12:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oort Cloud View Post
I really don't understand what the problem is with Roscommon, I used to camp down there many years ago and it is beautiful in scenery. To be honest, I wouldn't mind living there in the sticks with all the scenery. If you have a car then the sky's the limit, lovely quiet and comfortable place to live.

The main thing in regards to this guy on the IT's is that he is not fully up to date on the government initiative in the case of these refugees. He doesn't understand that they will be housed in different locations in the months to come. He should understand this before be mouths off about it.
Doubt any of the refugees will have a car and transport is likely quite sparse in the area, but that's all irrelevant - it's a quiet, safe place and being very rural if anything would be quite relaxing compared to a Dublin, Limerick or Cork considering the chaos these families (especially children) are coming from. The lack of cars/transport would make getting to the mosque tricky as Google Maps puts it as 22km/4 and a half hours walking, but the house of worship should more than suffice short term (which as you mention, their placement is) and the state is not in the business of building places of worship for any faith.
Thread Closed