Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I have found many examples of catholic marriage registers with both parents' names. In some cases, only the mother's first name is given, but others have both first name and surname. See example from Rathmines parish https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633754#page/3/mode/1up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pinkypinky wrote: »

When that happens, you can sometimes get in through https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ which takes you the search page.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I have never come across a church record of a marriage that recorded either mother or father. Must be down to the parts of Cork my family are from.

Same here !! For the records I have come across I would not even get townland names..just The names of Bride, Groom and sponsors !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Earlier church records often only included the names of the bride and groom and the witnesses but things improved with the arrival of the printed parish marriage register with dedicated spaces for each person involved in the ceremony.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've been working hard on an article I'm preparing for a journal later this year (deadline end of May!) today and have discovered something potentially huge for my own ancestry.

Of course, no one in my family will care!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

pinkypinky wrote:
    I've been working hard on an article I'm preparing for a journal later this year (deadline end of May!) today and have discovered something potentially huge for my own ancestry.

pinkypinky wrote:

In my family no one is interested either!

In my family no one is interested either!

That hackneyed phrase "There's always one!" must have been written with us in mind.

Genealogy Forum Mod

We in the genealogy family care.... tell us!

It is a long story & all will be revealed in due course.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Anyone have any idea when the next batch of Wexford records are due on Roots.ie?

• Advertisement

No one ever knows!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Not necessarily off topic but not really worthy of its own thread. Would anyone know exactly where Letter (or Leiter), Co. Kerry is? I know it's outside Caherciveen and Reenard but I can't pinpoint it exactly.

There was also a castle there (south of the Bentee Mountain) up until the 1600s but has since been levelled. I can't pinpoint that either.

There's an entry for it on Townlands.ie.

And it's marked on the Geohive map.
    http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html?webmap=c3c6a1c2249943b88b654fd52f5c2508

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've edited my post above which originally stated that you can't share links to locations on the GeoHive map.

Ever since Ordnance Survey of Ireland updated to the Geohive map I've been bemoaning the fact that you can't share map locations via hyperlinks in the way you could on the old map viewer.

However, it's actually the simplest thing in the world to do - you just click Share at the top of the drop down menu on the top left of the page and it generates the link for you.

Sometimes it's great to be wrong. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

That's great, thanks a lot Hermy.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I think my great-grandfather possibly lied on the 1901 census by not including his wife and calling himself a Widow.

One of my biggest brick walls was trying to find my great-grandmothers death record. Because my great grand father was listed as a "Widower" in the 1901 census I have only searched prior to 1901 before for her death.
    I have however found a death in 1917 which I am confident is her, and if so, then I have found that the 1911 census I had previously disregarded due to her being present, is also most likely them (along with another great-aunt I was not aware of!).

I must try and confirm this with other records however before I jump to conclusions!

Has anyone else come across someone lying about being a Widow/Widower before?

(He did not re-marry someone with the same first name btw, I have checked this out also!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I don't recall ever seeing it in a census record. I've only seen it on death records where the marital status was recorded incorrectly.

Oliver St John Gogarty famously said he was single on his census return but was married.

Seriously though, is it possible someone else filled out the form?

One of my gg-grandfathers was in London for 1911 and is recorded as single aged 40 when he was a married 51 grandfather. I reckon he wasn't there - he was an upstanding citizen and public figre so very unlikely to be lying and could easily have been caught out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I meant to post earlier but the new series of A House Through Time began on BBC2 earlier tonight.

I thoroughly enjoyed the previous series so I'm glad to say tonight's episode continued in a similar vain.

Did anyone else watch it and what did ye think?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thought it was vg. He is still very pretty too.

I'd love to know how many houses they research to find the right one - do people submit their houses knowing there's already a good story?

There's a book accompanying this series so maybe that would provide insight.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

He is still very pretty too.
    That's an outrageous statement to make! :p
    I'd love to know how many houses they research to find the right one - do people submit their houses knowing there's already a good story?

Yes, they certainly seem to have landed on their feet with this one in the manner that they've been able to tell the story right from the houses construction and likely through to the present day without missing an occupancy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Yes, an excellent programme. And a reminder that when we do genealogy, we may not agree with our ancestors' behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He has a voice like chocolate, chocolate that is doing terrible things to someone. :)

Using the lockdown here to write a little history of our street for the neighbours, using mostly newspaper extracts, but a few BMDs too. Only 9 houses, built 1881.

<Using the lockdown here to write a little history of our street for the neighbours, using mostly newspaper extracts, but a few BMDs too. Only 9 houses, built 1881.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I live in a row of five houses built in 2000 and no one has moved out since then, so we all know the history too well!:)

Just a reminder that A House Through Time is on at nine.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have it recorded but may not get to it this evening.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Well, did anyone else attend the 13:00 Beyond2022 zoom presentation?
    I thought it was good, some bits I had heard before but it's always good to hear the researchers/conservationists become more and more confident that they can get useful documents from the remains of the lost Four Courts documents.

Also promising what was mentioned at the end regarding the genealogy side of things.
    A question was raised asking if anything of interest has been found which would interest family historians etc (probing for census answers I imagine) and the response was along the line of with regards census records, although so much was lost in the fire so don't get your hopes up they have some really exciting discoveries to come so watch this space!

I wasn't able to attend the lunch one but going to tune in for the panel later.

I asked them on twitter if they were recording them but didn't get a response.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

I wasn't able to attend the lunch one but going to tune in for the panel later.

I asked them on twitter if they were recording them but didn't get a response.

Apparently they will be emailing out a link to the recordings tomorrow, may only be able to view the videos you had registered to attend.

• Advertisement

We shall see.

The panel discussion now was interesting, though patchy in parts. I admit I wasn't interested to hear what the artists' response to the destruction was.

Lots of deluded people in the Q&A asking about zombie census returns!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement