Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

robla wrote: »
    I am also on Day 6 now & am finding it HELL !! I had thought thaty things would get better but they are getting worse instead of better.... Hence why have joined this Board thread to help me thru !...:(

Hi Robla....everyone is different but like you I found the first few days hard but manageable. Week 2 and Week 3 were much harder!!! Sorry to tell you but just so you know.....stay strong. There will be many hellish cravings to come, but honestly, you will get less and less as time goes on. You have to be really really hard on yourself at the beginning. Remember you're doing this for yourself. You will make your life easier in the long run even though its hard to feel that way now. For the first three weeks all I could think about were cigarettes and I thought that feeling would never end.

....and to let you know, I never thought I'd give up successfully but I've completely surprised myself and I'm off them over a year!

Well done for joining this thread. I hope it helps......Stay strong you are doing really well!

Feownah wrote: »
    Robla I hear ya!

I am on Day 5. And I don't know whether it is a cold that has me feeling physically awful or giving up the ciggies.

My head is all fuzzy / lightheaded, is that normal?
    My sinuses are at me
    I'm cranky
    I'm developing a luverly cough

When will I start to feel better , cos i feel like crap now :)

Hi Feownah....likewise I was sure I had the swine flu when all the crap started releasing itself from my body. It didn't hit me until two months after I gave up though. I think it happens at different times for different people. I still had a smokers cough three months later.....But even though I felt like crap....i had a smugness that I'd never experienced before...I wasn't contributing to whatever was wrong with me by smoking anymore. When I was a smoker and I got sick I used to feel so guilty that I deserved to be sick cos I was smoking. Now, if I get a cold or feel sick, I genuinely feel sorry for myself without the guilty feeling! :)

Its all normal. Its good....think of all the toxins leaving your body now that will never re enter if you keep this up.If it is a cold, you will recover much quicker as a non smoker.

Drink plenty of water and liquids to speed up the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Man up you wimps. I stopped smoking 3 years ago by will power alone. I had tried to give up before reading Alan Carr, didn't work. Then one day I said to myself 'Enough of this trying to quit nonsense, just quit!'. Never touched, or craved, a cigarette since. Too much emphasis is placed these days on how hard it is, peddled to us by the help book sellers, patch sellers and so forth to make them money. It's 2011. With all the information we have about the dangers of it, humans should not be smoking.

I was going to say best of luck but you don't need that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noboc

Hi All.Hope ye dont mind me joining ye.I am on day 6 today.I am 31 year old female was smoking between 20-35 a day,Looking back now i think a lot of it was been bored.I actually cant believe i am off them 6 days.I am on the patches(which i think are brilliant)didnt have any cravingYET.Thought iwould find
    the mornings the hardest as my morning fag was my lifeline as i used to call it.But i had decided i would just have to change everything i did well the way i did it.I did find last night the hardest so far been honest but i just got up and did something,I have been followong all ye and i most say it really help knowing there are more people there..hope ye are all doing great,as i say to myself everymornig i wake is.i am wining the lotto everyday,with my health and my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi All :)
    Well day 6 over with and we are all doing great. Cant believe I am still off them, Today not so bad, The first half hour in de morning is my worst time of the day :(

Day 7 best of luck guys,

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Hi Robla....everyone is different but like you I found the first few days hard but manageable. Week 2 and Week 3 were much harder!!! Sorry to tell you but just so you know.....stay strong. There will be many hellish cravings to come, but honestly, you will get less and less as time goes on. You have to be really really hard on yourself at the beginning. Remember you're doing this for yourself. You will make your life easier in the long run even though its hard to feel that way now. For the first three weeks all I could think about were cigarettes and I thought that feeling would never end.

....and to let you know, I never thought I'd give up successfully but I've completely surprised myself and I'm off them over a year!

Well done for joining this thread. I hope it helps......Stay strong you are doing really well!
    Thanks for all the info, its great help

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

I am also on Day 6 now & am finding it HELL !! I had thought thaty things would get better but they are getting worse instead of better.... Hence why have joined this Board thread to help me thru !...:(

Robla
    well done to you on day 6. Don't let the withdrawls get you down. It effects most people in a similiar way if not today but at some time in the future
    Remember these are only effects of not having smoked in 6 days. some of the effects are physical eg dry throat sinus, cough but some of them are the mental effects of endless brainwashing that we as smokers have subjected ourselves to . These thoughts have been re- inforced in our subconscious mind as a smoker.

Things go better as smokers we can cope with anything and if we had a cigarette that could solve everything. Of course our rational mind knows this is totally untrue and that cigs have played their role in the physical effects that occur when you quit. It it is a constant battle between the two mindsets.

Do not give up we are all in this together . Everytime you feel tempted remember think tha tyou are not alone - we have the support on this site and we can all learn coping mechanisms and share experiences . It could be me tomorrow .

I often wonder if cigs disappeared from the planet today for ever . Would we all die ? Go beserk?
    Certainly not . We would have withdrawls probably but life would go on with all its trials and tribulations. I often look back on the good days when I never smoked and hated the sight of them. I coped in those days I can cope again. Did I solve all my problems then ? did I solve them while smoking ? The answer is no to both - just added more health problems as a smoker. There will always be challenges and trials in this world whether we smoke or not . Its how we learn to cope or resolve these situations determines our quality of life .

So well done and keep on track . Being part of this forum is really whats keeping me on track along with the champix . Looking forward to day 8 . Finishing my medication for bronchitus tonight so hopefully I will have more energy tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Off the fags for nearly a year now and haven't looked back. This has been my second attempt to quit and I put my past failure solely down to well wishers offering advice, one will tell you one thing and another will tell you the other! the fact is that now two people experience withdrawls exactly the same and while it's generally positive to take on board don't get dishearten'd by other people's experience. I think a strong will is the most important and giving up for the right reasons I personally had grown to despise fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

It's the crankiness that bothers me, all in my mind I know but have had two rows today and only off them since yesterday. Just found a pack with two in it and smoked them both.

Start again tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

And so another day (5) has passed smoke free :)

My worst time of day seems to be between 4-5pm (ie hometime) so am just focusing on keeping busy while the cravings pass. Out for another run tonight and can't believe the difference the last 5 days has made to my chest.... Not one bit of discomfort at all this evening so this has helped motivate me to stick with is (this may purely be my imagination but who cares if it helps right? :p)

Hope yiz are all doing well, and fair play to all. No-one said it was going to be easy but worthwhile things seldom are.

SnoozyS

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Off the fags for nearly a year now and haven't looked back. This has been my second attempt to quit and I put my past failure solely down to well wishers offering advice, one will tell you one thing and another will tell you the other! the fact is that now two people experience withdrawls exactly the same and while it's generally positive to take on board don't get dishearten'd by other people's experience. I think a strong will is the most important and giving up for the right reasons I personally had grown to despise fags.

1000% agree with you that its a different journey for everyone....but for what it's worth I'm just giving my experience incase somebody relates to it.....it helped me reading other people's stories this time last year. Strong will is most definitely the important thing.......so keep going guys....

.....I'm just in from a night out and I'm so happy for all of you who have made it to Day 7!/6/5 :) I keep coming back to this thread because I really want you to keep going.....one day at a time........each day is a wonderful achievement!

Looking forward to hearing from you all tomorrow.....the weekend will be hard guys.....

My first weekend last year, I went out with friends, but just kept thinking about cigarettes and came home after two glasses of wine and started posting on here. Some people might not be ready for going out yet, some people might, just letting you know what I did......

.....the following week I was able for three glasses of wine...:D

Good luck this weekend guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

It's great to see the gang getting bigger and stronger by the day! I love reading about how it's going for other folks who're putting the weed away, and I really appreciate the input from the old hands passing by to help us through the various writhing torments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Well done to everyone who has made the decision to quit - it IS one of the best decisions you have ever made. I can tell you from experience (quit six months ago on 5th July 2010) that it is not easy, and at times mentally excruciating, but I am so proud I have achieved the 6 month mark. I never thought (nor did anyone else!) I could achieve this. I smoked 20 Carrolls a day minimum for 25 years, so I wasn't a casual smoker.

However I feel as accomplished now as I did on day 4 or 5 or 6 - The cigs had so much control over my whole life which I hated. If it was about money or health I would never have started, but it was the thought of the control that made me quit eventually.

After six months I can tell you that the ONLY thing, at times, that kept me off them was that I couldn't go through the withdrawal again. You guys have done that, the first 3 days etc etc. so keep that in mind. It can be crap stopping smoking but you only have to do it once. Don't let yourself to have to go through it again.

I am really delighted to hear more people are stopping smoking - please keep it up you will not regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 robla

The Thread definetly helps me have to say...... Knowing that folk are going through the same crap....

I am still carrying around some in a pack, dunno how many as am afraid to open a box in case one mysteriously floats out of the pack & into my mouth....... ! At the moment they are just like a comfort blanket - they are there if I need them & I keep telling myself I just had one & that is getting me thru the cravings......

I sooooooooooooooo nearly gave into temptation last night but remained strong..... Getting the nearest tea-towel & twisting it really tight and then biting really hard into it for about 20minutes helps !!!... But I rode out the temptationb which did last about 15mins & then that was it..... I had the chance to sneek out the backl garden & nobody would have seen me !!... But kept telling myself that I would be only fooling myself.... so I did'nt....

Dollymix not looking forward to week 2 & week 3 if cravings are to get worse as you say.... that may now be a good thing or a bad thing.... i.e. I am expecting the worst... so they may not be as bad as I now expect.....

Joe10000 you made me laugh.... I understand Totally what made you smoke the 2.....

So onwards Smokerless Chums.... Lets show Iamthewalrus that we can get thru this as easy as he could....:D

NavanEPS wrote: »
    After six months I can tell you that the ONLY thing, at times, that kept me off them was that I couldn't go through the withdrawal again. You guys have done that, the first 3 days etc etc. so keep that in mind. It can be crap stopping smoking but you only have to do it once. Don't let yourself to have to go through it again.

NavanEPS.... you are dead right - the only thing that is stopping me from stepping outside now to have a smoke is having to go through this withdrawal crap again..... I never want to go through this crap again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

into month four now. After the first week, I stopped missing them. Now I dont even think about them, and the smell off people who do smoke is enough to keep me off them. Withdrawal was terrible for the first 10 days, after that it broke, and I never got a craving again.

I just wished I had saved more money while quitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

syklops wrote: »
    I just wished I had saved more money while quitting.

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

In day three, going strong. Slight cravings every now and then but I'm trying to turn these in to "positive signals", the poison is leaving the body and I will be free very soon...

Walking around with some fags in a box is not a solution to deal with withdrawel in imo. The lozenges are working for me. Had two yesterday, none so far today.

If you want to stop smoking dispose of everything that can make you fail the attempt, left over ciggies, lighters, ash trays etc. You have to, stop fooling yourself!! Do not hide ciggies in the house and do not get in that thinking pattern of sneaking out and having a sneaky one. Remember, one is enough to start the cycle all over again, don't do it. The biggest mistake imo is convincing yourself that "you can stop" by having one, after two days of not smoking, and saying it tasted awful. The very first ever cigarette you smoked tasted awful to remember and that was, what, 20 something years ago, 20 something years of smoking how many a day...

As Carr says, once you make the decision to stop see your self as a non-smoker and look at smokers with "pitty" as they would like to be what you are, a non-smoker. You are not missing out on anything, smokers are junky's, simple, addicted to nicotine. Nobody wants to be a smoker, absolutely nobody.

My biggest help when having cravings is a photo of my best friend and late father in law who died at the age of 56 of lung cancer, and my two lovely children who never got the chance to meet him.

When having cravings go and do something to distract yourself, read a book (Alan Carr works for me during those moment), drink a pint of water, go for a walk around the house, post a message, keep a diary, phone a friend etc.
    Avoid situations where you want a smoke most. For me it means drinking less tea and coffee. After dinner I start cleaning the table and putting away dishes etc. as normal procedure would have been to go and have a smoke first...

Be proud of being a non-smoker and start thinking like one!!

After only three days my little shallow smokers cough is gone, the taste in my mouth has changed, I saved close to 30 Euro already, this time it's going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Wash all your clothes! The smoke smell will still linger around you as a reminder. Wash everything, sock, jocks and whatever else you have and you will feel and smell better.

noboc wrote: »
    Hi All.Hope ye dont mind me joining ye.I am on day 6 today.I am 31 year old female was smoking between 20-35 a day,Looking back now i think a lot of it was been bored.I actually cant believe i am off them 6 days.I am on the patches(which i think are brilliant)didnt have any cravingYET.Thought iwould find
    the mornings the hardest as my morning fag was my lifeline as i used to call it.But i had decided i would just have to change everything i did well the way i did it.I did find last night the hardest so far been honest but i just got up and did something,I have been followong all ye and i most say it really help knowing there are more people there..hope ye are all doing great,as i say to myself everymornig i wake is.i am wining the lotto everyday,with my health and my money.
    Hi noboc wellcome to our thread

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    1000% agree with you that its a different journey for everyone....but for what it's worth I'm just giving my experience incase somebody relates to it.....it helped me reading other people's stories this time last year. Strong will is most definitely the important thing.......so keep going guys....

.....I'm just in from a night out and I'm so happy for all of you who have made it to Day 7!/6/5 :) I keep coming back to this thread because I really want you to keep going.....one day at a time........each day is a wonderful achievement!

Looking forward to hearing from you all tomorrow.....the weekend will be hard guys.....

My first weekend last year, I went out with friends, but just kept thinking about cigarettes and came home after two glasses of wine and started posting on here. Some people might not be ready for going out yet, some people might, just letting you know what I did......

.....the following week I was able for three glasses of wine...:D

Good luck this weekend guys! :)

Thanks a lot for ur input and support:)

The Thread definetly helps me have to say...... Knowing that folk are going through the same crap....

I am still carrying around some in a pack, dunno how many as am afraid to open a box in case one mysteriously floats out of the pack & into my mouth....... ! At the moment they are just like a comfort blanket - they are there if I need them & I keep telling myself I just had one & that is getting me thru the cravings......

I sooooooooooooooo nearly gave into temptation last night but remained strong..... Getting the nearest tea-towel & twisting it really tight and then biting really hard into it for about 20minutes helps !!!... But I rode out the temptationb which did last about 15mins & then that was it..... I had the chance to sneek out the backl garden & nobody would have seen me !!... But kept telling myself that I would be only fooling myself.... so I did'nt....

Dollymix not looking forward to week 2 & week 3 if cravings are to get worse as you say.... that may now be a good thing or a bad thing.... i.e. I am expecting the worst... so they may not be as bad as I now expect.....

Joe10000 you made me laugh.... I understand Totally what made you smoke the 2.....

So onwards Smokerless Chums.... Lets show Iamthewalrus that we can get thru this as easy as he could....:D

Haha know exactly what ur saying, :)

hi guys
    Day 7 for me, cant believe i even got this far,

40 a day habit X 7 = 280 dirty fags i did,nt smoke this week
    total saved €120 in one week :D for my holiday to Kenya :cool:

I know we are all doing this for our health,thats the most important thing anything after that is a bonus,

cravings still come and go.:mad: but I know now that if i dont buy any in the first few hours in de morning i will be ok for the rest of the day

Best of luck guys for weekend and stay off the dirty FAGS :p

syklops wrote: »
    Wash all your clothes! The smoke smell will still linger around you as a reminder. Wash everything, sock, jocks and whatever else you have and you will feel and smell better.

Socks & jocks? No way they could have been smelling of smoke - other smells much too overpowering surely... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Well done Molly

I thought I was on day 8 but still on day 7. Maths were never my strong point. So far so good and feeling alot better. Finished medication yesterday only a wheeze left from the bronchitis . Freezing cold here with a promise of a bit of snow . Hope to get out tomorrow for a short while. Suffering from Cabin fever since Dec 27th .

No major cravings just a weird dream last night . Dreamt I was out in a friends house and came home and remembered that I had a few ciggies in a coat pocket. Fished them out and smoked them and thought what the hell . What a relief to wake up this morning and find out it was all a dream and I was still smoke free.

However, thought me a lesson - must be able to deal with the pangs when they strike as no doubt they will.

Have a lovely weekend all and remember - not a puff - thats the stuff!

;););););););)

molly77 wrote: »
    hi guys
    Day 7 for me, cant believe i even got this far,

40 a day habit X 7 = 280 dirty fags i did,nt smoke this week
    total saved €120 in one week :D for my holiday to Kenya :cool:

I know we are all doing this for our health,thats the most important thing anything after that is a bonus,

cravings still come and go.:mad: but I know now that if i dont buy any in the first few hours in de morning i will be ok for the rest of the day

Best of luck guys for weekend and stay off the dirty FAGS :p

Well done Moll for kicking off the thread and keeping us all going. I really like your idea of having that holiday in Africa as a reward you'll already have paid for. Anybody else have any good plans like that? I'm not saving so much cash myself - was smokin the rollies, so 'twas only a tenner a week - still thats a cool €500 in a year - maybe a nice meal for 2 (and the wee one) at a (very) posh resto New Year 2012? - Patrick Guilbaud's was it our taxes were buying for John O'Conor? - ...followed by a (very) good brandy but of course no cigar...

The messages on here are definetly helping.... Biglad was having a craving just before I read your message.... Yer message killed that craving fast !!

Through another day now !!

Hope yis all manage to resist cravings over the weekend !!! Would be fantastic if we could all report a smokefree weekend on Monday !!!

Wishing the Best !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

So day 6 is now complete.

Can't believe that tomorrow is my 1 week mark :) More cravings today than in previous days but meh...am kinda getting used to them now and becoming an expert at ignoring them :D

As for the extra yoyo's I now have...well they'll be going on some new running gear and gym membership

Glad to see everyone is still soldiering on....it always provides me with that extra bit of motivation to keep going knowing that if I fail, I'll be back here with my tail between my legs... so a huge THANKS to you all

SnoozyS

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fairway Jim

Day 8,

Last night was the worst night for cravings, this forum is such a great help, if I get a craving I just login and get reading all the other stories.

Fair play to everyone, its important that people keep posting, the encouragement is the difference to staying off the wretched smokes.

Who wants to be a Smoker?

I know it might sound a bit trivial but to get to week 2 feels a big achievement to me.

Wish ye all well thro the weekend, if you get a craving login, or just get busy.

• Advertisement

Well done everyone who has made it to Week 2! :)

You'll notice people telling you in the next few weeks that your skin looks great and your eyes are brighter! Look forward to that....

Advertisement