Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listened last night to Mick Clifford, very good. If anyone finds him on usual podcasting services rather than just soundcloud, please shout. Would like to add to pocket casts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

dulpit wrote: »
    Listened last night to Mick Clifford, very good. If anyone finds him on usual podcasting services rather than just soundcloud, please shout. Would like to add to pocket casts

Just did a search on Stitcher and came here to pose the same question :pac:

The Irish Examiner seem to be good at publishing podcasts generally so hopefully it's rolled out everywhere soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I use Podcast Addict and that found the feed straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I’m liking the Bertie Ahern podcasts. Bertie comes across as very knowledgeable about what’s going on

I know, I know, he has his past but anyway I think he’s a good contributor and comes across well

The fawning is a bit much “most gifted politician of his generation bla bla” but to be expected when Dunphy is interviewing anyone

I'd agree with you there, he makes a number of points and observations you dont here anywhere else, and like him or not (I don't) he has the experience and background to talk with authority. Hes a very good contributor to this debate, one of Dunphy's best.

Agree with you on the fawning too, its way over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

terrydel wrote: »
    I'd agree with you there, he makes a number of points and observations you dont here anywhere else, and like him or not (I don't) he has the experience and background to talk with authority. Hes a very good contributor to this debate, one of Dunphy's best.

Agree with you on the fawning too, its way over the top.

Yeah dunphy fawns over his guests a bit too much. Reminds me of jarlath Regan.

Bertie is great. No waffle. Knows what needs to be done to get the job done re Brexit and calls out poor performance even he sees it. His critique of Theresa may a few months ago was on point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is brexit boy still a regular on the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

steve_r wrote: »
    I use Podcast Addict and that found the feed straight away

Cool, thanks. I must give it a listen. A new episode was released about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

neris wrote: »
    Is brexit boy still a regular on the podcast?

Yep. He had a podcast Wednesday

I also see RTÉ Sean O’Rourke show are starting to use him too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Yep. He had a podcast Wednesday

I also see RTSean O’Rourke show are starting to use him too

Was also on I believe Miriam O'Callaghan and Ivan Yates. Regular on Sky News. Has managed to build himself a bit of a profile around Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Ugh... How?

The first few minutes of the last podcast with him were eyerollingly bad. Took great pleasure towards the end when he conceded that Brexit may never happen. One time! Remain! Please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I enjoy Chris Johns (Irish Times, Econimist). But have to laugh at Eamon slagging off other econmists for being chancers and yet he previously had Jim Power on as a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Good conversation with Mick Clifford on building regulations and how that impacted on the likes of Priory Hall, Longboat quay etc

Eamo lets Mick lead the chat so it's a good listen - Eamon throws in a small jab at Newstalk towards the end.

They talk at the end about Mick's new podcast and it sounds fairly amicable. Hopefully Mick will still be on the podcast occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Really enjoy Neil Francis' rugby coverage. He has a slow speaking style that takes getting used to but his insight is always enlightening for the casual fan like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The quality of interviews varies wildly. Dunphy switches between phoning it in and genuinely engaging to an annoying degree.

That interview with David Goldblatt was nails on the blackboard stuff. All the more surprising given the subject matter. His line of questioning sounded like someone who did a google search 10 minutes before the interview.

Goldblatt is an authority on the game and Dunphy sounded like a nervous transition year student, a completely wasted interview.

Contrast Dunphy's interview with the Second Captains interview with the same interviewee and it becomes embarrassing for Eamo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

nf2k wrote: »
    Really enjoy Neil Francis' rugby coverage. He has a slow speaking style that takes getting used to but his insight is always enlightening for the casual fan like myself.

He is a complete sycophant who’s only superlative in his vocabulary is that ( x player is phenomenal)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Marlow wrote:
    For those cards, who require online payments, the payments will fail, if no online payment can be made.

NeonWolf wrote:
    He is a complete sycophant who’s only superlative in his vocabulary is that ( x player is phenomenal)

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Very interesting insight into the role of the UK Parliament vs. Irish Parliament in the recent Brexit special. Sovereignty lies with Irish people, sovereignty lies with British Parliament. Didn't know that. The no deal talk is even more ridiculous if the referendum only has an advisory place in their constitution as was suggested in the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Brendan O' Neil put his foot in it again in today's episode, even Eamo was shocked :eek:

We need more variety, would love to have Robert Fisk, Mick Clifford and Hooky as regular contributors, maybe once a month. I've stopped listening to the Prem episodes, Chippy seems to have disappeared and the Kaiser is in a spot of bother at the mo, so they might be replaced. I avoid the episodes with the freight rep. Frano is enjoyable, good to give him more time then he gets on the LW.
    Generally a good podcast overall. I can't see Eamo making money from this, even though costs must be low, so hope it continues if and when the sponsorship runs out. I can't see me paying for any podcasts, ever, there is too much free content out there, so I don't think this is a model that is worthwhile in an Irish context - aware of SC and David McWilliams but I don't this it is sustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

omerin wrote: »
    Brendan O' Neil put his foot in it again in today's episode, even Eamo was shocked :eek:

We need more variety, would love to have Robert Fisk, Mick Clifford and Hooky as regular contributors, maybe once a month. I've stopped listening to the Prem episodes, Chippy seems to have disappeared and the Kaiser is in a spot of bother at the mo, so they might be replaced. I avoid the episodes with the freight rep. Frano is enjoyable, good to give him more time then he gets on the LW.
    Generally a good podcast overall. I can't see Eamo making money from this, even though costs must be low, so hope it continues if and when the sponsorship runs out. I can't see me paying for any podcasts, ever, there is too much free content out there, so I don't think this is a model that is worthwhile in an Irish context - aware of SC and David McWilliams but I don't this it is sustainable

I've also completely stopped listening to the football one. The description for yesterday's show was something along the lines of: "Eamon and John argue over Pep" - read that and just deleted that particular show. No time for listening to that same crap narrative each podcast.

Haven't listened to O'Neill yet but he is tiresome.

I don't mind Verona Murphy ("freight rep" :pac:) but like O'Neill, seems to push her own agenda rather than the bigger picture. However, good to get an insight into the goings on at the coalface and she seems very knowledgeable.

I subscribe and pay for SC - their variety is good and podcasts in the main are worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Obrieski wrote: »
    I've also completely stopped listening to the football one. The description for yesterday's show was something along the lines of: "Eamon and John argue over Pep" - read that and just deleted that particular show. No time for listening to that same crap narrative each podcast.

You missed John calling Mané Sané 53 times. Also, Eamon is still skeptical about Pep defensively.

• Advertisement

omerin wrote: »

Just listened to this belatedly. Shocking stuff

That Eamon McCann fella isn't fit for audio broadcast. That's not a comnentary on his thoughts but simply his voice.

He has this habit of saying aaaaayyyye when he's thinking of what to say and how to phrase it and as he always wants to come across as an eloquent clever clogs this Aaaaayyye sound (to my ears) drowns out anything he has to say.

I would like to hear some other Norn commentator's opinions on his show. Newton Enerson, Eamon Mallie or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

NeonWolf wrote: »

Loves talking about physical specimens too.
    I wonder did he spend too long in boarding school?!

In the latest pod on the rugby, Eamo ponders the effect of Bundee ALI's red card :)

nf2k wrote: »

Agreed. Seems fashionable to criticise "Franno" but I think that he's ok on The Stand.
    As Eamo says (probably prompted by Francis) some of the headlines in the Indo are not concocted by him but by editors for effect.

Mind you Francis did let himself down there recently on The Stand when he was saying that he knew the Japan coach Joeseph years ago and that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I think that he (Joeseph) comes across well and obviously he is spot on with Japan's smart play so far.

Nicola Talant was on today with an interesting piece about DCC knowing that protection money was being paid to keep their sites safe.

Problem with Nicola though is her "facts" are often quite askew. She mentioned a headshop on South William St. being burnt down a few year ago and a million quid being found in a safe on the premises.

The fire was on Capel St. There was 480k in a safe on the premises. Jim Bellamy the owner asked the fire brigade on the day to enter the premises and gave them the keys to the safe.

They might not be big errors (I think they are) but it would leave me wary of of most things she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Dunphy and Tallant are always full of praise for the guards. Never queried why none of the builders/DCC went to the guards, or if they did, what happened.

Niall Stanage continually proving his place as the best contributor to the podcast.

I wish Eamon would ask him more questions.
    He mentioned that there were some other Democratic candidates who performed well in the most recent debates but then never went into any questions about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

Dunphy's bizarre hard-on for Bertie Ahern continues.

"It was like talking about football with Lionel Messi".

Jesus.

• Advertisement

Dunphy's bizarre hard-on for Bertie Ahern continues.

"It was like talking about football with Lionel Messi".

Jesus.

Aside from that nonsense from Dunphy I thought it was an excellent analysis of the present situation by Bertie.

Advertisement