Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paddy Houlihan

N4 into city and park around ifsc or N11 straight into Burlington hotel area / Mespil Rd.
    N11 far closer to finish. You may get as close as Baggott St.
    Only road to avoid is south canal as it will be closed until at least lunchtime at Dolphins Barn.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi Everyone,

I was driving through Castleknock last night and I got to see some of the marathon signage. Scary!

I did the Halloween night run last night in Sandymount with my sister and her friend. It wasn’t a great route to be honest and most people took it pretty handy, as it would have been very easy to slip or injure oneself. It was a nice evening though and the staff were lovely. They even gave me 3 medals, so my kids wouldn’t be fighting over them!

Next week is going to be a nightmare for me. I’ve so much work on, some offsite stuff and husband is away until Friday morning. But, I will not panic. I’ll aim to be super organised and in bed as early as possible every night.

Fraggle I can’t believe you’re injured again, I hope you’ll be ok.

Lainey, that's impressive fund raising!

All those nursing coughs, colds, man-flu and other infections; get well soon.

Is someone here signed up for Run the Line in November?
    Doc76 wrote: »
    I think I’m doing it but the shorter 13k course just for fun (not really racing it per se!) are you doing it too?
    py wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the 13Km too :)

Run the Line is very close to DCM :eek: Don’t put any pressure on yourselves to run it and I definitely wouldn’t consider racing it.

I’ve said it before but I do recommend a full two weeks off running after DCM, with easy/recovery runs only for the the two weeks after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fraggle - so sorry to hear about this setback. Fingers crossed it's something minor.

Obviously, we all hope this issue disappears quickly and you make the start line, but as Cartman wisely points out, it's just one race at the end of the day - so there's no point risking health or further injury by running the marathon if your body is not up to it at that moment.

Anyway, fingers crossed for now and let us know what the physio says.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Run the Line is very close to DCM :eek: Don’t put any pressure on yourselves to run it and I definitely wouldn’t consider racing it.

I’ve said it before but I do recommend a full two weeks off running after DCM, with easy/recovery runs only for the the two weeks after that.

I strongly second this advice. No hard days for every mile raced - i.e. 26 miles raced means no hard runs for 26 days. Your body will need the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

DolG wrote: »
    Just wondering how you are? Hope recovering well.

Thanks DolG, I'm feeling a lot better ok. I've taken some amount of drugs the last few days I don't think I'd pass the test after the race. Hopefully I'll get out for a run on Saturday. How is your self, did you manage to get to the Doctor. At least we have another week to get sorted. I'm really missing getting out for a nice short run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hahaha.. wait til your fellow marathoners who are reduced to walking, those who suddenly veer across your path to get a water bottle or come to a sudden standstill because they see a friend cause you even more anger! Not to mention those with headphones on who don't hear you coming past and meander in front of you.. :;-):

No don't tell be this, now I will have to add runners rage to my list of afflictions on marathon day lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Fraggle07, sorry to hear you are injured again, fingers crossed you get sorted in time for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I strongly second this advice. No hard days for every mile raced - i.e. 26 miles raced means no hard runs for 26 days. Your body will need the break.

Definitely not under pressure to run it and certainly not racing it. If I can run it, it'll be like an easy/LSR day as it's being used for exploratory purposes for next year's racing plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

- How was week 16 for you?
    Went as well as I could hope for. Getting busy now with work, started back at college part time a few weeks ago, kids&life, and the running, only 2 more weeks.
    5 Runs done, easy runs and LSR were comfortable. Had a 10k (work thing) on the Wed I was expected to race, but took it easy at PMP or just under, still felt fresh after it.
    - With two weeks to go, how are you feeling about the marathon?
    Feeling confident, and nervous at same time. Can't wait to just get running in it.
    I have to shift my 8M to Friday this week will college on Sat, assignments to do on sun, wife away, along with loads other stuff, I haven't even a spare 90mins all weekend. Just hope next 10 days passed uneventfully.
    Fraggle sorry to hear about your injury, fingers crossed for you, that has to be tough mentally. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

I'm signed up for the 13Km too :)

I’ll be there. Probably walking it!
    And we’re one of the sponsors so I’ll probably be on coffee duty too!

It’s a great cause, nice to see a few from here doing it. Even if it’s a walk or a hike. Or a slow run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

I’ll be there. Probably walking it!
    And we’re one of the sponsors so I’ll probably be on coffee duty too!

It’s a great cause, nice to see a few from here doing it. Even if it’s a walk or a hike. Or a slow run!

Great cause is right, good on you. Its 3 weeks after dcm (27th till 16th) so plenty of time to rest the legs, and afaik most people trek up the hard hills rather than run. Have Huzzah or Mr G ever done it? It would be good to know what ur in for!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Another novice on the injury list. Left ankle, not too bad but definitely not running on it, will try and get to physio tomorrow. A bit nervous but am fairly confident it won't keep me out.

Just wanted to explain my absence of runs on Strava to the mentors - didn't want to get into trouble!

kulekat wrote: »
    Great cause is right, good on you. Its 3 weeks after dcm (27th till 16th) so plenty of time to rest the legs, and afaik most people trek up the hard hills rather than run. Have Huzzah or Mr G ever done it? It would be good to know what ur in for!

No, to my shame, I haven't done it and it's in my neck of the woods. I signed up two years ago but chickened out at the last minute (no idea why!) :o

Here are some threads to read if you're interested in learning more:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110970908
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107724110
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104311869

It's a great event by all accounts.

Sorbet wrote: »
    Another novice on the injury list. Left ankle, not too bad but definitely not running on it, will try and get to physio tomorrow. A bit nervous but am fairly confident it won't keep me out.

Just wanted to explain my absence of runs on Strava to the mentors - didn't want to get into trouble!

Sounds like a solid plan. No need to panic at all. The work is done. Hopefully you'll get to a physio quickly and it will be good news. Keep us posted, please. We'll have our fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

A few late posts... SLEEP PEOPLE!! :D

Honestly though, try to make sure you're getting 7-8 hours sleep from now until marathon day (if possible, I hear if you have small kids that is a little more difficult!). You probably won't sleep all that well the night before DCM, so one thing you canbank is some sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Definitely not under pressure to run it and certainly not racing it. If I can run it, it'll be like an easy/LSR day as it's being used for exploratory purposes for next year's racing plans.

My same thinking! I’ll take it very easy. Was more doing it to keep a friend company and she doesn’t want to race it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

No, to my shame, I haven't done it and it's in my neck of the woods. I signed up two years ago but chickened out at the last minute (no idea why!) :o

Here are some threads to read if you're interested in learning more:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110970908
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107724110
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104311869

It's a great event by all accounts.

Thanks for links, yes maybe next year. I think theres a walk the line in march to do a recce. Getting over the DCM line is first, then a plan of action will be made 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

clickhere wrote: »
    Thanks DolG, I'm feeling a lot better ok. I've taken some amount of drugs the last few days I don't think I'd pass the test after the race. Hopefully I'll get out for a run on Saturday. How is your self, did you manage to get to the Doctor. At least we have another week to get sorted. I'm really missing getting out for a nice short run.
    Hi. Great you are feeling better. Got to doc, off work, on antibiotics and more. Dr said he will look out for me at Terenure!! Hope to do something on Saturday but right now have to remind myself that I was able to do 15m last Saturday 🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Would Tuesday be too late for a sports massage? :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Rojo wrote: »

Personally speaking, I think the week of the marathon would be leaving it a little late. Last year, I had one two weeks before DCM.
    Don't forget, massages - depending on their intensity - can require recovery time so if you were to avail of a sports massage, I would say this would be the week to do it but even at this stage might be cutting it fine.

Would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have always wondered the same myself, and was always very afraid of getting one right before a race as I'm normally sore for a few days. Especially if you arent used to it.

Here's a video that was posted by Evan who has recently started posting here that's fairly informative.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGjLZPbZx4k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Rojo wrote: »

I've my own pencilled in for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I stand corrected, last year my sports massage was 10 days out from DCM...........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

I got my name printed on the front of my top and my charity on the back. I got it done in Logoshop in Lucan. 24 hour turn around. I was very impressed. Would highly recommend them.

10 days to go!!!

Just a quick reminder to keep an eye on the paces as the taper progresses. I've noticed paces creeping up a touch on Strava this week in some instances, and I myself felt the legs a shade fresher today and had to make more of an effort to keep the pace in check.

Also, something eabha19 touched on earlier in the week and it's hopefully obvious, but worth stating just in case - know what your target time translates to in min/mile (or km, if that's your preference). Even if you intend following pacers it's still worth knowing your pace range in case something unforseen pops up and you get separated from the pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Sounds like a solid plan. No need to panic at all. The work is done. Hopefully you'll get to a physio quickly and it will be good news. Keep us posted, please. We'll have our fingers crossed for you.

Got to the physio today. No running for a week but she assured me that the aerobic fitness is there and won't go..... On a diet of Nurofen, icing and exercises for the next week. I'm feeling pretty confident but glad I have a plan. Physio didn't commit but says 9 days is actually a lot of healing time. Cross your fingers for me. Good reminder not to worry about time - just want to start and finish now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    10 days to go!!!

Just a quick reminder to keep an eye on the paces as the taper progresses. I've noticed paces creeping up a touch on Strava this week in some instances, and I myself felt the legs a shade fresher today and had to make more of an effort to keep the pace in check.

Also, something eabha19 touched on earlier in the week and it's hopefully obvious, but worth stating just in case - know what your target time translates to in min/mile (or km, if that's your preference). Even if you intend following pacers it's still worth knowing your pace range in case something unforseen pops up and you get separated from the pacers.

Very fresh indeed!! I think I will jump in with the 4:40 group and go from there.

rizzee wrote: »
    Very fresh indeed!! I think I will jump in with the 4:40 group and go from there.

I'd reckon your selling yourself a little short at that. But I do know your main priority is getting around and enjoying the day. Even so, you could start with the 4:30 pacers and still comfortably enjoy the race.

Sorbet wrote: »
    Got to the physio today. No running for a week but she assured me that the aerobic fitness is there and won't go..... On a diet of Nurofen, icing and exercises for the next week. I'm feeling pretty confident but glad I have a plan. Physio didn't commit but says 9 days is actually a lot of healing time. Cross your fingers for me. Good reminder not to worry about time - just want to start and finish now:)

Sounds promising. Great to hear! I'll keep the fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

DolG wrote: »
    Hi. Great you are feeling better. Got to doc, off work, on antibiotics and more. Dr said he will look out for me at Terenure!! Hope to do something on Saturday but right now have to remind myself that I was able to do 15m last Saturday 🀪

Agh that's great news that you are on the mend. As all the mentors have told us all the hard work is done. Once we get the first couple of miles in to the legs we should be fine. SLOW SLOW. Then it's one week to show time. Bring it on.!!!!!!

Advertisement