Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not a picture that shook the world, but the event did.

In advance of March 11th, the Yahoo! building in Tokyo has put up a poster/hanging commemorating the victims of the 2011 tsunami. The red line says 'exactly to this height' and shows the level the tsunami reached at its highest point.

p00017_ph01-422x680.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't know that it has shaken the world, but this picture has been going viral and I can see why. It's quite striking. Saffiyah Khan, a Birmingham woman of Pakistani and Bosnian descent, stands toe-to-toe with a member of the EDL. Story here.

u1EFulI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

^ She only needs a can of Pepsi.

additional info here
    Screen_Shot_2017_04_05_at_12.19.59_PM.0.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Vojera wrote: »
    I don't know that it has shaken the world, but this picture has been going viral and I can see why. It's quite striking. Saffiyah Khan, a Birmingham woman of Pakistani and Bosnian descent, stands toe-to-toe with a member of the EDL. Story here.

u1EFulI.jpg

It was claimed the Asian girl in the photo had interrupted a minutes silence for victims of the Stockholm attack.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It was claimed the Asian girl in the photo had interrupted a minutes silence for victims of the Stockholm attack.

By who? Every article I've read from reputable news sources say she was defending a woman who was being screaming at for claiming the EDL are racist.

• Advertisement

By who? Every article I've read from reputable news sources say she was defending a woman who was being screaming at for claiming the EDL are racist.

The article I read on the BBC gave both versions. It's hard to know who to believe unless you were actually there. The two arrests were both on the protesting side, so I'm inclined to take the photo with a hefty pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The article I read on the BBC gave both versions. It's hard to know who to believe unless you were actually there. The two arrests were both on the protesting side, so I'm inclined to take the photo with a hefty pinch of salt.

based on your stated views, I'm guessing the fact the she is female and not aryan would prevent you from believing that legitimacy of the photo under any circumstance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

The former head of the EDL and several eyewitnesses have said she was defending a woman who was being shouted at by EDL members. Supposedly there's video but I can only find video of the aftermath.

Either way, it's a striking photo.

based on your stated views, I'm guessing the fact the she is female and not aryan would prevent you from believing that legitimacy of the photo under any circumstance....

I'm merely keeping an open mind. At a time when Christians are being targeted by Muslims around the world, this seemed an odd image to set tongues wagging. A photo of her staring down a hate preacher from her own faith would have been more apt, and genuinely brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

A photo of her staring down a hate preacher from her own faith would have been more apt, and genuinely brave.

How do you know what faith she has? Or if she even has any?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Folks, lets try keep chat minimal here, we do have a discussion thread for same.

Thank, :)

LEIN

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The photo was taken by the Irish photographer Colman Doyle. The original caption:
    A woman IRA volunteer on active service in West Belfast with an AR18 assault rifle

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/female-ira-fighter-1970s/
    Ira_in_the_1970s_d65293_5060179.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ Kyle Calm Spokesperson

On this day 28 years ago:
    9geY0Jw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Didn't shook the world initially but may eventually.
    09comey1-superJumbo-v2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Garzard

Not a famous photo per se, but found it touching. A German solider reunited with his child in Berlin, 1918 right after the end of the First World War. Even with Germany defeated and racked with revolution at the time, the several million German soldiers still apparently returned home in good order and high morale with the war finally over, welcomed home and congratulated with open arms by the population ''as an army with no cause to feel ashamed'' as one documentary I watched today put it.

419885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Saw the documentary The Farthest in the cinema last night. Fascinating stuff if youre interested in the Voyager space programme and it's journey through the planets.

carl-sagan-quote-the-pale-blue-dot.-space-print-poster-canvas.-sizes-a1-a2-a3-a4-3813-p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

The marriage of Josef and Magda Goebbels, December 19th, 1931.

In the background, their best man Adolf Hitler.

Young blond haired boy on the right is Harald Quandt, Magda's first child and the man who, after the war, along with his half brother Herbert, built BMW up into what it is today. The family still control well over 30% of the company as well as other major German corporations such as VARTA batteries.

They also owned a significant stake in Mercredes Benz, who attempted to buy BMW out in the 1950's. In a spiteful move Herbert sold his stake in Mercedes to the government of Kuwait in the 1970's.

Goebbels-marriage-1931-700x473.jpg

b973c181b8ffb2432074c45606cc330f--minamata-disease-mercury-poisoning.jpg

This photo helped point the international spotlight (and indeed, the domestic spotlight) on Minamata disease, caused by Chissho corporation discarding methylmercury into seawater in the bay of the town of Minamata in south-western Japan.

Winner of the 2018 Press Photo of the year - a Venezuelan protestor on fire.

There are nominees and winners of numerous other categories at this link. I put it into this thread as they are generally more graphic and 'shocking' than 'cool.'
    C-81_sEXUAEN2Ky.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The photo itself is underwhelming to some people but it really is an achievement. Well done to all involved.

190410090959-01-black-hole-event-horizon-telescope-super-169.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Here's the full image:

477571.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Trump steps into North Korea
    Unimaginable only a couple years ago that a US president would be able to do this.

1561891699789.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I was watching a documentary on how we got to the smartphone last night as a part of Great Inventions series on BBC4 and this pic was shown...

time-100-influential-photos-philippe-kahn-first-cell-phone-picture-89.jpg

It's the first digital image ever sent from a mobile phone, oh how times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

180222103-c8ef5e52-1769-4197-ba9f-450ce61e64a1.jpg

Boy in the mask: The photo that defined the Troubles
    This photograph of a boy in a gas mask holding a petrol bomb became a defining image of the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

The iconic picture was taken during the Bogside riots in August 1969.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-49351460/boy-in-the-mask-the-photo-that-defined-the-troubles

21 years ago today
    The Omagh bombing was a car bombing on 15 August 1998 in the town of Omagh. It was carried out by a group calling themselves the Real Irish Republican Army, a Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) splinter group who opposed the IRA's ceasefire and the Good Friday Agreement. The bombing killed 29 people (including a woman pregnant with twins) and injured some 220 others, making it the deadliest single incident of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Telephoned warnings had been sent almost 40 minutes beforehand, but were inaccurate, and police had inadvertently moved people toward the bomb.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-04.belfasttelegraph.co.uk%2Fopinion%2Farticle34503347.ece%2Fdda46%2FAUTOCROP%2Fw620%2F2016-03-02_opi_17329391_I2.JPG&f=1

The red Vauxhall Cavalier containing the bomb. This photograph was taken shortly before the explosion; the camera was found afterwards in the rubble. The man and child in the photo both survived; the photographer did not.

Re-reading the Wiki brings back just how sickening this was and it was also a major blow for the 'armed struggle': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jim Leavelle died last week.

VVIF3NTWMJDDKRFH4YUV6NXQTA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

COVID-19

p03-200223-corona.jpg

Great to see this thread coming back to life:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

_116373643_gettyimages-1294932172.jpg

• Advertisement

zqcckk5gls961.png

Advertisement