Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrist injury, need advice

• 22-02-2019 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I hurt my wrist doing skullcrushers around the beginning of May last year, due to either bad form, working to failure, cardio on off days, or all of the above. I took three weeks off, and then discovered and started Stronglifts 5x5, dropping cardio completely, maybe hiking Saturdays.

This new programme went really, really well, and after three months I was lifting more than I ever had - and still progressing - but the wrist pain then returned when I got to a point where I was bench pressing 65KG, overhead press 45KG, pendlay rows 57.5KG, and deadlilft 107.5KG. Also, 6 weeks or so into Stronglifts I tried adding chinups, but around chinup 2/3 there was the pain so I left chinups alone, and continued on with the main programme, pain free until towards the end.

The pain is centred in what looks like a ball on the outer side of the wrist, and I believe the issue may be with the ulnaris carpi flexor.

I deloaded a few times, and tried taking a week off, but the pain did not go away so I stopped lifting weights completely at the end of August, and just do cardio three times a week now - which is great, but it is never going to be the same as weightlifting for me.

I have been to three different physios, and tried things like tubigrips, some sock type compression, and a Mueller carpal tunnel splint. The first physio I saw over the summer thought it would be healed in a few weeks, the second found a few knots up and down my forearm he kneaded out, and said he thought it was either a tendon or ligament due to the length of time (I cannot remember which), and the third said we could hope for it to be healed come Christmas.

Also was referred to see an Orthopaedic surgeon at St. Vincent's, they found no evidence of a break on the X-Ray, and basically said I just have to give it time. I did mention I read online about cortisone injections and surgery to relieve similar pain, but he said there is so much going on in the hand and the wrist, that he would not let anyone near his with a needle or to perform surgery.

My wrist is much better than it was - in the beginning there was intense heat in my outer wrist for a few seconds when I would feel it, and I would it would trigger opening doors, putting the car into fourth gear, or rotating a frying pan to empty the contents onto a plate. In the last few months it just seems to have stagnated, I am not even certain I can say it is better today than two months ago, although I think it has come on - very slightly. Sometimes I will go a few days and not feel it and think I am almost there, but most days my attention is drawn to it, usually a slight ache a bit up the forearm from the wrist joint, but sometimes definitely pain - although no more intense burning.

Recently I have started doing more and more things in my life just using my good arm, like holding my phone only with my good hand etc, though I do not feel pain opening doors etc so I am still using my bad arm.

I try to get a good amount of sleep, I do not drink alcohol, and I have been using an e-cigarette the last few years though have nearly cut it out completely as I know nicotine is bad for recovery. My diet is good, almost everything homemade, and I have reduced my meals from 5 to 4 per day as not doing weights.

If you were in my position (maybe you have been) what would you do? I could start Stronglifts all over, starting with the barbell, and using a wrist support strap, or maybe someone here can recommend a really good chartered physio or doctor in Dublin and I should get an MRI, or maybe I should just keep waiting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement