Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film Of The Week #21 - City Of God (Cidade De Deus)

Options
  • 01-06-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

I haven't actually seen this one myself, which is rather odd with this being a highly praised foreign film. It's been on my to-do list, but as with a lot of things, I've just not got around to seeing it yet.

Anyway, discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Karl, hang your head in shame...

No, I think I shalln't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The only praise I can give this film is, that in my own humble opinion, it it the single greatest movie of all time. As The Scientist said, pure cinematic perfection. Lil Zé will go down as one of the greatest and most memorable characters seen on screen. Ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a fine film, but one which I felt could be appreciated on asethetic and technical levels more than anything. Its wondefully made, and all the more impressive when you consider the danger the filmmakers put themselves in to make it. Impressive acting from the non-actors too.

But like its most obvious influence Goodfellas, it is a film which I can appreciate when Im watching but then completely forget about after.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

A masterpiece of a film, interweaving storylines has become a bit cliched by now, but this film is one of the reasons everyone wants to have crack at them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Interestingly the documentary upon which the film makers based a lot of the film (the general story was taken from a book), called News Of A Private War, is actually a lot better than the film. There's some really chilling stuff in it. I believe it's an extra on the DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

I can see the similarities to Goodfellas, but it's not fair to criticise just because Goodfellas did the "whole life of crime" thing first. It's an incredible film really. Performance wise, no one is anything less then excellent, and some go above that. I don't even speak portuguese(spell?) and i know a lot of the lines off by heart.... Cinematically it's also incredible, the shot where it rolls around rocket and goes back in time being my favourite. Simply perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Excellent film, although I still haven't gotten around to getting the 'City of Men' mini-series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Loved it, although drawing comparisons to goodfellas is pointless as I think the films are just too different even considering the drugs/gangs theme.

Interesting trivia: I'm twenty and was asked for I.D when buying this in HMV:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This was a great movie, i must say & deserving of a FOTW spot. To me, its not just a great "foreign language film", its just a great film, full stop! I enjoy foreign language movies, alot of my friends & family don't, but they all thought this was an excellent movie...and i think thats a pretty strong recommendation

• Advertisement
Advertisement