Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was your first GNU/Linux install?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

To be fair, it wasn't a printer problem, it was the scanner (it's an all in one Canon MG2940 printer/scanner). It was the old print document ->sign document ->scan document ->email document shenanigans that drives me nuts.

xsane should be renamed insane.

Also, patience wasn't in supply this morning, so that possibly has a bearing on how things went.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Sadly, there are many examples. I think Munich was one of the highest profile flops. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/linux-on-the-desktop-pioneer-munich-now-considering-a-switch-back-to-windows/

Hi Tom. A good take on the Munich debacle by Quidsup.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

It's not just a case of monopoly, there are many other factors.

(going OT here, but I think it is relevant, maybe split off into a new thread?)

I have tried over the years to use Linux as a desktop replacement for Windows in the office, with very little success.

It's all good and well using it in a home environment, it works well, but try using Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment. You have multiple factors to consider - legacy apps, hardware, software interoperability, file sharing and the spawn of the demon, printing. And possibly the biggest factor of all is training. You can get your desktop support staff no problem, all MS certified, but try getting any of them with experience of Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment. It's all good an well with your secure, shiny new Linux desktop, but when (not if) something goes wrong, the old reboot won't always work.

The bottom line is, unless you are limited to web-based apps, with little or no need for esoteric exercises such as scanning and printing, legacy apps and bespoke apps then you are fine. Otherwise, Linux on the desktop in a corporate environment still isn't there yet.

Alas, many places are walled in with proprietary software - a direct result of the M$ monopoly.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Good points there, I never successfully printed anything using Linux and that's with a printer that has a Linux driver available!!! Never managed to map my network drive either...

Hi CoBo55. I've always used HP printers and rarely have issues. Printers in general are the devils machine anyway. ;-)

Classic case of it here at home today. :D

I have Linux on the laptop for herself, she wanted to a bit of printing and scanning. After about an hour of fiddling and whole range of very colourful expletives I gave up, stuck a memory stick into the laptop and got her to do everything on my Windows laptop.

Task was then completed in 5 minutes.

The manufacturers are largely to blame for driver issues on Linux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Buying any hardware, you need to do your homework to ensure it will do what you want and is supported by the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

if you want to look for linux comaptible printers check here and see if your model is listed..

https://www.openprinting.org/printers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

My HP Deskjet printer is plug and play in Linux. I use Simple Scan for my scanning needs. No issues whatsoever. Maybe I'm just lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    My HP Deskjet printer is plug and play in Linux. I use Simple Scan for my scanning needs. No issues whatsoever. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Yeah i have a Brother printer/scanner that just works in Fedora

Same here.

• Advertisement

I consider this the norm these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For Unix, it was a Solaris 2.5?.
    For Red/Centos, version 5.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Buying any hardware, you need to do your homework to ensure it will do what you want and is supported by the manufacturer.

I did, the driver is on their site (Brother) but nada from ze ole printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

red hat 9.

Proud Debian user now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

red hat 9.

Proud Debian user now.

Mine was RH5. Long gone are the days when it wasn't a primarily commercial OS. Now I use Fedora. The only other OS I'll use is Linux Mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

I've been very pleased with the Brother printer drivers.
    They are 32bit, so you'll need to install 32bit compatibility libraries on any modern Linux.

apt install libc6-i386 lib32gcc1 could be enough on Ubuntu depending on the printer model, but that's the most likely reason those drivers aren't printing.

Manufacturer not providing modern support for older hardware?

Seems to be the way the majority behave ...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Suse Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

The now defunct Linux Mint LXDE back in 2010. I can't remember the actual version. I'm currently using Xubuntu 18.04 but will probably move back to Mint XFCE in a year or two.

Edited to add I ran a laptop with a dead hard drive off a Knoppix cd for a while back in 2003, but never actually installed it on anything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Always buy PCL6 compatible printers and you'll never have issues. Used them on every niche OS going.

Mandrake 7 was the first distro I used but I'd used IRIX 6.5 before and also BeOS which has some operational similarities. Used to prefer Redhat/rpm based systems but now use Ubuntu LTS for anything for ease of use, or what little ease of use remains since systemd came in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

SunOS 3.5 on sun2 and sun3

installing from 1/4 inch and QIC-150 tapes back in 89

Used to work for sun as a hardware engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Probably Ubuntu 12.04, although I'm really not sure anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

lardarse wrote: »
    SunOS 3.5 on sun2 and sun3

installing from 1/4 inch and QIC-150 tapes back in 89

Used to work for sun as a hardware engineer.

Respect.

Hang on, they were proprietary! They are not GNU. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

Respect.

Hang on, they were proprietary! They are not GNU. :pac:

Whoops sorry didn`t read the thread correctly.

Great days working as a Sun Engineer though. Shame how the mighty have fallen, Oracle really tore the heart out of them. I`m still working on solaris on my normal day job, so still keep my hand in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

lardarse wrote: »
    Whoops sorry didn`t read the thread correctly.

Great days working as a Sun Engineer though. Shame how the mighty have fallen, Oracle really tore the heart out of them. I`m still working on solaris on my normal day job, so still keep my hand in :)

You lucky duck! :D

Advertisement