Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree felling/crowning along road cost

• 30-07-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a few trees in the garden that abut the public road. One is very healthy but badly needs crowning/topping and there are 2 that have the bank undermined at the roots so need to be felled. I had a guy out and he priced it at about €1,700 inc. VAT. for a full day. Does this seem to be a reasonable price? He was very professional and has all of the appropriate qualifications so I'd be happy for him to do the job if that's a fair price.

If that seems expensive then I'd really appreciate any recommendations for someone to do the job. I'm based in South Wicklow. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Hi all,

I have a few trees in the garden that abut the public road. One is very healthy but badly needs crowning/topping and there are 2 that have the bank undermined at the roots so need to be felled. I had a guy out and he priced it at about €1,700 inc. VAT. for a full day. Does this seem to be a reasonable price? He was very professional and has all of the appropriate qualifications so I'd be happy for him to do the job if that's a fair price.

If that seems expensive then I'd really appreciate any recommendations for someone to do the job. I'm based in South Wicklow. Thanks!

That seems very expensive. A few years back I got a guy to cut down and partially cut up 2 large trees for approx €300 on my mothers place. 2 people working for approx 3 hours. Midlands area.

I would suggest that you look for more quotes, maybe get the names of lads you do chainsaw work locally, doesn't have to be a top of the range "tree surgeon" once they are experienced. Check insurance although I believe (but I am not sure) that a householder should be covered by the public liability part of their household insurance for such work. A phone call to your insurance company will confirm.

*Read your post again and noticed trees are along the public road. This adds a complication as you don't want the trees or branches to fall on a bypassing car. So be sure to get people who know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

That seems very expensive. A few years back I got a guy to cut down and partially cut up 2 large trees for approx €300 on my mothers place. 2 people working for approx 3 hours. Midlands area.

I would suggest that you look for more quotes, maybe get the names of lads you do chainsaw work locally, doesn't have to be a top of the range "tree surgeon" once they are experienced. Check insurance although I believe (but I am not sure) that a householder should be covered by the public liability part of their household insurance for such work. A phone call to your insurance company will confirm.

*Read your post again and noticed trees are along the public road. This adds a complication as you don't want the trees or branches to fall on a bypassing car. So be sure to get people who know what they are doing.

Highly unlikely chainsaw work is covered under house insurance. Especially if using someone “experienced”.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

893bet wrote: »
    Highly unlikely chainsaw work is covered under house insurance. Especially if using someone “experienced”.

Without checking up on policies I would have thought that tradesman coming to do work on your property are covered by the public liability part of standard household insurance policies? Wouldn't have thought that tree surgeons are any different to a tradesman working on your roof for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

Try Rob at Duke Tree Services on 0861043568

professional and fully insured etc done a job for me and was super

Tell him Paddy sent you and he might give you a discount, as he owed me a favour.

cheers Paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks all for the replies and sorry for coming back on this late.

I had a few other people out pricing it and the first price I got of 1700 was the cheapest. One guy wanted 4 grand! I may have made the job sound more trivial than it is though, the 3 trees are huge and need to be cut back by 30%. Given the bank they're on and the road then traffic management is needed and a large hoist because they're so tall. They all said though that given the age of the trees this should probably cover me for many many years. Probably worth the investment now and have it done for peace of mind.

I'll give that Rob lad a shout all the same thanks for the recommendation. Thanks all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement