Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Spring 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Northern blocking idea by the ECM 0z is gone on its 12z run with the high pressure building over us again, so more in line with the GFS on this run now.

9HHTnjk.gif

Not as warm as GFS 12z but still quite a warm Sunday by the ECM. Quite slack gradients to the south and west of both the UK and Ireland.

oKg27tg.png

Ex0X1cf.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS 2m Temperature Anomalies looking warm until the end of the month.

rLUyb78.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

This is way out but with all that heat early next week and potential for humidity and moisture in the atmosphere coming in from Europe there are some massive CAPE readings showing up for Ireland and more so the UK. Interesting to see if it happens.

0TTNxIS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The GFS Para for next Wednesday (caveat: it's 9 days away) is absolutely stunning:

192-778PUK.GIF?21-12

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM bringing temperatures up to the mid - high twenties next weekend in the midlands, west and northwest. Always cooler toward east and south coasts.

Looks pleasant but there is an increasing risk of thunderstorms with time.

In fact out to 240 hrs is real summer weather that i'm sure we'll all enjoy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

sdanseo wrote: »
    I'm a tad confused, you don't want talk of Benelux but you talk about Benelux?

The post was light hearted, and the point was that everywhere is well above normal. We regularly point to anomalies further east during an easterly to give us an idea of what's coming.

im a tad confused too,
    you talk of benelux,
    i talk of benelux,
    i never say dont talk of benelux.
    you say i say you shudnt talk of Benelux
    i take back that making such comparisons is pointless.
    talk about whatever,and where ever you like.

you could have made the comparison without deriding the
    temperatures forecast for the west next week.Its been a long cold winter and spring.
    but as you say it was light hearted but in my humble opinion
    its far from "freezing"!

im a tad confused too,
    you talk of benelux,
    i talk of benelux,
    i never say dont talk of benelux.
    you say i say you shudnt talk of Benelux
    i take back that making such comparisons is pointless.
    talk about whatever,and where ever you like.

you could have made the comparison without deriding the
    temperatures forecast for the west next week.Its been a long cold winter and spring.
    but as you say it was light hearted but in my humble opinion
    its far from "freezing"!

I'm just gonna thank think and let's move on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ECM bringing temperatures up to the mid - high twenties next weekend in the midlands, west and northwest. Always cooler toward east and south coasts.

Looks pleasant but there is an increasing risk of thunderstorms with time.

In fact out to 240 hrs is real summer weather that i'm sure we'll all enjoy. :)

Poor leaving cert students

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

It's a right of passage

sdanseo wrote: »
    The GFS Para for next Wednesday (caveat: it's 9 days away) is absolutely stunning:

192-778PUK.GIF?21-12

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

WbseMgB.png

m42ixlZ.gif

WbseMgB.png

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

WbseMgB.png

tenor.gif
    Am I reading that right as south east and waterford thunder storms?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

spookwoman wrote: »

Probably most of the Eastern half of the country, assuming the charts play out and all the other ingredients required are in place.

Very early in the season for it though so I'll remain suspicious.

spookwoman wrote: »

These set ups hard to predict untill a day or so before and even at that can be hard to pin point, the charts have been showing huge CAPE potential early days of next week, the ECM also showing Sun with potential for Thunderstorms.

I would have thought very rare to see a chart like the one above for Ireland.

Will be watching closely no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

meteroite58 Have we any chance of a storm in the West over the weekend

Storm 10 wrote: »
    meteroite58 Have we any chance of a storm in the West over the weekend

Sticking my neck on the block here , could be wrong ( often am :) ) but I think yes. Looking at very warm temperatures and high humidity and rain bearing cloud coming from SE / E out of Europe. Huge amount of moisture in the atmosphere with potential for very heavy rain/ showers perhaps Sun/ Mon.

Sat more so in the Southern half perhaps but not ruling out the W
    Sun perhaps widespread
    Mon widespread ( potential for some severe thunderstorms breaking out perhaps )
    Tues widespread ( perhaps but not too sure at this stage again potential for severe thunderstorms ).

Just my very amateur opinion. A very interesting spell of weather watching and learning coming up.

Such an odd and unique pattern that I have not seen in my model watching years until now. Up to the first few days of June, it is just a slack easterly flow with rather lower pressure over Ireland, England and Wales but the north and Scotland staying very dry throughout. Through the first week of June, the high pressure from the north just ridges over us and to the east dragging up further warm temperatures. The jet stream is way to the north but the air is just too unstable over us until early June on the models for really settled weather to take place.

Still no sign of a breakdown in this.

The GFS 12z is cooler compared to the 0z especially out west interestingly enough.

OOxDHxV.png

ISw7ojz.png

That consistency I mentioned in the GFS isn't being borne out. Consistent downward high predictions in the last 2 or 3 days.

For the east all dampened significantly by the easterly breeeze and associated banks of cloud. 14 degrees and dull today.

For once, I wish this was coming from the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

it looks like Ireland just attracts cool temperate conditions. Now a cooler pool over whole country. still overall pattern warmer than normal but not as good as it looked a few days ago.

Even yesterday my phone had forecast the next 5 days 21 20 22 23 20 but today it says 17 16 19 18 17

• Advertisement

Warm and wet is the basic summary for the outlook. GEFS 12z for Dublin perfectly show it. Gradually becoming cooler but still staying on the warmer than average side of upper air temperatures.

uuEr4Co.png

Meanwhile, the GFS 12z today is still staying with the same solution of continued unstable easterlies for the rest of May into early June before an area of high pressure builds over top of the country (it briefly attempts to retrogress to Iceland on the 3rd/4th June).

EkK2yIr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

yesterday met eireann said monday would be 25c or mid twenties today 15 to 19c "fresher than of late"

certainly all these thundery outbreaks at weekend look like signalling cooler weather in now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pauldry wrote: »
    yesterday met eireann said monday would be 25c or mid twenties today 15 to 19c "fresher than of late"

certainly all these thundery outbreaks at weekend look like signalling cooler weather in now

Reading MT's forecast he certainly doesn't seem to think so!

GFS 0z still has no changes! Consistent easterly winds and high pressure keeps reforming itself too just to the north of us. Did somebody forget to tell the GFS that Summer is around the corner? :P

A5BD3H6.png

b15DmOc.png

IUQQ8Uj.png

LJTAQeI.png

Finally some changes on the GFS model!

The retrogression of the high becomes more influential on the 0z than before and in fact, a northerly to northeasterly takes place for the first week of June. Becoming very cool and at times, unsettled too.

onU43ls.png

yyTulN9.png

nHvrAVn.png

pmR6TXD.png

For those that don't want this, it's an outlier in the GFS ensembles.

OAgl4SD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hopefully that's not what we get. Settled warm conditions please. It's an outlier for now but hopefully the next runs don't show unsettled weather.

Hopefully that's not what we get. Settled warm conditions please. It's an outlier for now but hopefully the next runs don't show unsettled weather.

It's a huge change on yesterday's 0z and well, it seems the GFS ensembles have upgraded the warmth and dry spell regardless of the OP run this morning.

And.... GFS 12z brings the settled solution back. Like yesterday's 0z now again with an initial attempt at retrogression of the high on the 3rd/4th but then comes back down over us. It weakens towards the end of that week before at the end of FI, we get another ridge from the Azores.

loOrkXs.png

fJZBOWO.png

AjSq61Q.png

Still warm by next Saturday!

HqX5wOR.png

Warm outlook . The Jet taking a very Northely route for another week or so going by today's charts.

tempresult_uhj9.gif

tempresult_uax3.gif

• Advertisement

GFS 12z is a very warm run again with lots of warm weather throughout. This chart at +312 hours is nice to look at. 564 dam line in through Ireland. I think the atmosphere has gone mad.

LIF6WBY.png

Advertisement