Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feed the wildlife.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The age old question.

I've been feeding robins, tits and finches all winter with regular feed and niger seed in a prickly holly tree in the garden. I keep the fat balls for the really cold spells. Should I continue? Are they reliant on it now? I'm fairly consitent, it's part of my nippers "chores" now and he likes seeing the birds feed. It's a rare chore where he actually see's results. They nest in the garden.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In short, yes. :)

There's a dedicated thread in the Nature & Wildlife forum, if you want to take a look.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057857978

New Home wrote: »
    In short, yes. :)

There's a dedicated thread in the Nature & Wildlife forum, if you want to take a look.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057857978

Ah!! thanks so much New Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

creedp wrote: »
    [...] the problem I increasingly have is crows. They attack the feeder with a vengeance to the point of damaging it. [...] Anyone any suggestions for effectively fending off the crows while allowing ready access for smaller birds as Im not so keen spending money feeding crows!!

Get some flowering baskets in a garden centre (2 for each feeder), plus some carbine hooks to keep'em together (them hooks will be the easiest to open the whole thing to top up a feeder), one basket upside down, one normal way, feeder inside. Problem sorted. :cool:

447550.jpg

447551.png
    Have a seed feeder installed since Sunday - no sign of any activity yet. Had a robin check it out but was nervous and flew off.

Just waiting for them to properly discover it.

First feeder I had here, and I was devastated - no birds presence at all! Took them approx 2 weeks to discover it, just be patient. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sdanseo wrote: »
    A snippet of recent experience - do NOT put any food on the ground and clean up remnants reguarly.

We have had to temporarily stop feeding all animals anything that isn't poison.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Malayalam wrote: »
    Yeah, I tied a wooden box up into a tree so the birds would not have to compete with the cats over the cold winter. Forgot about the local bears though...

smiling here. Love pinemartens and shared a house with one and then her brood once. Lovely photo; thankyou

Been feeding haphazardly here as the cats reach everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

Rats in the garden, taking advantage of all the food.

Once they're gone, will get a bird table that can't spill food onto the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I'm having great fun feeding the birds so far. There were some green finches to begin with but a whole mob of goldfinches have pretty much taken ownership of the sunflower hearts feeder. No green finches since. I've seen a blue tit once or twice, a couple of chaffinches and a Robin. Lots of starlings and crows too but they seem to prefer the fat balls so that's grand. A little Robin comes in and eats the seeds that have fallen.

If I add another feeder with different seed will that attract different birds? Have seen meal worm and suet blocks too but they seem kind of messy..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

lolo62 wrote: »
    I'm having great fun feeding the birds so far. There were some green finches to begin with but a whole mob of goldfinches have pretty much taken ownership of the sunflower hearts feeder. No green finches since. I've seen a blue tit once or twice, a couple of chaffinches and a Robin. Lots of starlings and crows too but they seem to prefer the fat balls so that's grand. A little Robin comes in and eats the seeds that have fallen.

If I add another feeder with different seed will that attract different birds? Have seen meal worm and suet blocks too but they seem kind of messy..

Different feed attracts different birds. It's a good idea to vary the feed you leave out because some of the 'bully' species can set up their territory to guard their favourite bird feed and this can prevent smaller birds from getting the food. If the feed changes regularly, these bigger or more aggressive birds won't always be guarding the same spots.

It's great to feed the wild birds at certain times of the year when their natural feed is scarce or weather conditions are poor, but you don't want them to become dependent on it either. This time of year when the birds are nesting and the first broods of chicks are starting to hatch, high protein feeds like peanuts and mealworm are great for birds feeding chicks

Don't forget the ground feeding birds either. Fruit and seeds are great for robins, blackbirds, thrushes, chaffinches, sparrows etc

I always throw out any leftover boiled rice for these birds onto some grass out in the open to keep them safer from cats in the area(I don't put salt in with the rice when I'm boiling it)

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Different feed attracts different birds. It's a good idea to vary the feed you leave out because some of the 'bully' species can set up their territory to guard their favourite bird feed and this can prevent smaller birds from getting the food. If the feed changes regularly, these bigger or more aggressive birds won't always be guarding the same spots.

It's great to feed the wild birds at certain times of the year when their natural feed is scarce or weather conditions are poor, but you don't want them to become dependent on it either. This time of year when the birds are nesting and the first broods of chicks are starting to hatch, high protein feeds like peanuts and mealworm are great for birds feeding chicks

Don't forget the ground feeding birds either. Fruit and seeds are great for robins, blackbirds, thrushes, chaffinches, sparrows etc

I always throw out any leftover boiled rice for these birds onto some grass out in the open to keep them safer from cats in the area(I don't put salt in with the rice when I'm boiling it)

Thanks I think the goldfinches are using mob mentality at the sunflower seed feeder. I'll put out some peanuts in a feeder too and leave the fat balls for next year.

How do you put out mealworm? Just on a saucer or is there a special holder that works for that?

lolo62 wrote: »
    Thanks I think the goldfinches are using mob mentality at the sunflower seed feeder. I'll put out some peanuts in a feeder too and leave the fat balls for next year.

How do you put out mealworm? Just on a saucer or is there a special holder that works for that?

I just put them in a standard wire mesh peanut feeder. Actually, I forgot, I needed to build a cage around my feeder to keep the crows off them. I got two wire hanging baskets and stuck them together to make a round cage that the small birds can fit through and the crows haven't yet figured how to reach yet.

All going well here with feeding except for one issue. Our resident robin (at least we think it's the same one) has a habit of flying in to the house! Our back door is open more than it's closed when it's not raining and this guy/girl is extremely relaxed. Flies in to the shed and the house, no panics, just sits on the counter top. It's not a big deal, but sometimes it gets confused between the open door and the closed window and we have to herd it out.

It seems to have complete trust in my 5 year old son, but is afraid of us adults. It's cute and nice and I'm guessing it's not a problem?? We were thinking it may have been a pet or a caged bird at some stage?

Anyone experienced similar situations, again, it's not a problem, he/she does tiny poo's, but that's ok... is it just one of those nice things that happen? I think it is.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    All going well here with feeding except for one issue. Our resident robin (at least we think it's the same one) has a habit of flying in to the house! Our back door is open more than it's closed when it's not raining and this guy/girl is extremely relaxed. Flies in to the shed and the house, no panics, just sits on the counter top. It's not a big deal, but sometimes it gets confused between the open door and the closed window and we have to herd it out.

It seems to have complete trust in my 5 year old son, but is afraid of us adults. It's cute and nice and I'm guessing it's not a problem?? We were thinking it may have been a pet or a caged bird at some stage?

Anyone experienced similar situations, again, it's not a problem, he/she does tiny poo's, but that's ok... is it just one of those nice things that happen? I think it is.

Robins are lovely. Some of them are just naturally tame. The risk is that if they feel safe around you, they're not on the lookout for cats or dogs.

One thing I don't enjoy in relation to the birds is the poo everywhere! Maybe it's a birds way of saying compliments to the chef!

Advertisement