Forum Closed  

24-09-2015, 10:36   #61
tipptom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullingar View Post
@ Patrick - Merlin.

Is there any way that this Merlin-only "Indemnity fee" can be waived?

As a purchaser at motor auctions in the past I would not attend yours as I would be forced to pay a secondary fee that's not required.
Looks like the answer to your question is a no then,would you want to give up a fee that contributes so much profit that catches the ordinary plebs?
Advertisement
24-09-2015, 13:19   #62
mullingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipptom View Post
Looks like the answer to your question is a no then,would you want to give up a fee that contributes so much profit that catches the ordinary plebs?
Considering the stuff I buy is on the lower end €1-3k, its far too expensive and a pure rip-off.

For example, a €1500 car results in €92 fees plus €200 "indemnity fee". Thats nearly €1800, so a nearly €300 in just fees!!!! Thats a whopping 20% extra!!

I refuse to give ANY auction house those sort of fees for a €1500 car hence I will never buy at Merlin auctions and no other reason.

I don't know what the forum rules/agreements are for a sponsored forum such as this, but if one of the terms are to answer all questions put to them, then::

@ Merlin-Patrick, Please answer.
(2) thanks from:
24-09-2015, 13:39   #63
Merlin Car Auctions: Patrick
Verified representative

Quote:
Considering the stuff I buy is on the lower end €1-3k, its far too expensive and a pure rip-off.

For example, a €1500 car results in €92 fees plus €200 "indemnity fee". Thats nearly €1800, so a nearly €300 in just fees!!!! Thats a whopping 20% extra!!

I refuse to give ANY auction house those sort of fees for a €1500 car hence I will never buy at Merlin auctions and no other reason.

I don't know what the forum rules/agreements are for a sponsored forum such as this, but if one of the terms are to answer all questions put to them, then::

Hi

Sorry for delayed response.

I am not trying to avoid the answer of the Indemnity fee albeit it looks like I am trying. I've presented the fee's to the forum as they are, I am not going to hide them or pretend that they don't exist.

I very much appreciate this argument about the fee's as it is giving us an insight of some people's perception of auction houses in general.

In other industries, like, paintings, art, furniture, auction fee's are often between 15% to 20%, so our 5% is modest in comparison.

I take on board the argument of the indemnity fee, and will raise it with the powers to be.

What's not being mentioned here is the other benefits of using an auction house.

We take care of all the paperwork
It is safe to sell your car at auction, you don't as a seller have to deal with phone calls, meeting people who you don't know in car parks, you don't have to carry large sums of cash after selling your car with a fear you may be robbed etc.

Auction houses are not for everyone, we sell cars at trade prices, cars are sold as seen with no comebacks. We say this every time we talk to a customer, and there are great deals to be gotten at the same time.

Thanks
Patrick
Thanks from:
24-09-2015, 23:40   #64
road_high

Quote:

This. Look at the auction prices every now and then and it never ceases to amaze me how close to dealer prices they can be in light of the higher risks buying, plus adding in these fees. Would rather spend the few quid extra on something with a definite history and opportunity for thorough test drive/inspection.
Thanks from:
25-09-2015, 08:06   #65
mullingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Car Auctions: Patrick View Post

In other industries, like, paintings, art, furniture, auction fee's are often between 15% to 20%, so our 5% is modest in comparison.
You can't compare motor auction commission rates to those other auctions. ~5%+vat is the motor industry norm. If you tried to put it to 10% your attendance will drop like a stone for sane serious buyers.

Justify it all you like, but nearly €300 just in fees on a €1500 car is absolute madness.
Advertisement
25-09-2015, 08:25   #66
George Dalton

The fees make little difference to the buyer. People aren't stupid. The reality is that if the fees were reduced the hammer price would go up. So your €1500 + €300 car would become a €1700 + €100 car. Same end result.
25-09-2015, 08:50   #67
PukkaStukka

Do indemnity fees apply to trade buyers as well, and if so, are they on the same scale as those paid by an average Joe?
25-09-2015, 09:26   #68
tipptom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkaStukka View Post
Do indemnity fees apply to trade buyers as well, and if so, are they on the same scale as those paid by an average Joe?
Asked that already,hope you are more successful.
Thanks from:
25-09-2015, 13:47   #69
mullingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dalton View Post
The fees make little difference to the buyer. People aren't stupid. The reality is that if the fees were reduced the hammer price would go up. So your €1500 + €300 car would become a €1700 + €100 car. Same end result.
True, but the flip side is that the sellers will go elsewhere if they don't think they will get the best price.
Advertisement
27-09-2015, 10:54   #70
George Dalton

Quote:
True, but the flip side is that the sellers will go elsewhere if they don't think they will get the best price.
That is true but that's another argument. You were saying you wouldn't buy from Merlin because of the fees, not that you wouldn't sell through them.
27-09-2015, 14:27   #71
tipptom

I don't count a gouging of 200 for something I can do myself for 30 and they probably get done for 10 as fees.
27-09-2015, 19:13   #72
mullingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dalton View Post
That is true but that's another argument. You were saying you wouldn't buy from Merlin because of the fees, not that you wouldn't sell through them.
I agree with you, its out of principal of been gouged for an extra €200 is the only reason I wouldn't buy there.
27-09-2015, 19:28   #73
George Dalton

Just to be clear I do agree with you that your example of €300 fees on a €1500 hammer price is excessive, but it makes no difference to the buyer IMO.

It's like we are looking at the thing from different angles. The way I think about buying at auction (which we rarely do but that's another discussion) is that I don't particularly care what the breakdown of the overall cost of the car is. The important part is the total figure. The amount of fees contained in the final figure is a matter for the auction house and the seller, not for the buyer.
27-09-2015, 22:13   #74
Gumbo

Quote:
You don't put your car into an auction to get the best price imho. You put it in to get rid of it. If it was easier to sell privately, you would.
02-10-2015, 15:03   #75
Merlin Car Auctions: Patrick
Verified representative

TUESDAY 6TH AOCTOBER AT 10.30AM

Super auction next Tuesday, not to be missed!
Large selection of cars for auction on behalf of the Joe Duffy Motor Group and LeasePlan with over 140 cars. See the growing list HERE

Forum Closed