Forum Closed  

26-08-2015, 15:20   #1
Merlin Car Auctions: Patrick
Verified representative

Questions about buying a car at Merlin Car Auctions

Got a question about buying your next car at auction? Ask them here and we'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Thanks
Patrick
Merlin Car Auctions
Advertisement
26-08-2015, 22:50   #2
Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Can I just come along to watch the 'action'?

I'd like to get a feel for it to see if it would suit me for my next car purchase.
27-08-2015, 08:19   #3
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mellie Man on the Telly View Post
Can I just come along to watch the 'action'?

I'd like to get a feel for it to see if it would suit me for my next car purchase.

Absolutely! It's a great idea to come along and watch a couple of auctions before committing yourself to buying. Initially, it can be a bit daunting so it's a good idea!

Thanks
Patrick
28-09-2015, 19:07   #4
92Grainne1992

When buying a car at auction are there any hidden costs or do you just have to pay whatever the winning bid is? Does it always work out cheaper to buy at auction? I'm working for a small little 1 litre 2007 clio or something similar
29-09-2015, 16:08   #5
mullingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Grainne1992 View Post
When buying a car at auction are there any hidden costs or do you just have to pay whatever the winning bid is? Does it always work out cheaper to buy at auction? I'm working for a small little 1 litre 2007 clio or something similar
Yes, with all motor auction houses they charge a commission rate with the average being 5%+vat of the hammer price, but some commercial reason (IMO a greedy reason) Merlin also unusually charge a €200 "indemnity fee" for cars >€1500.
Advertisement
29-09-2015, 16:18   #6
REXER

What solvent should I use to remove the adhesive that you use to attach the LOT number to the inside of the windscreen?

Also, why are there never handbooks, service books etc with the cars when they are sold?
29-09-2015, 16:31   #7
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXER View Post
What solvent should I use to remove the adhesive that you use to attach the LOT number to the inside of the windscreen?

Also, why are there never handbooks, service books etc with the cars when they are sold?
Hi
The Lot number is on the outside window and is made of removeable glue, it is easy to take off. But the report's are on the inside, which is what I think you mean, and if you use window cleaner, rub on and leave for a few minutes, it comes of easy then.

Anything that we get with the car, we pass on to the buyer, books, history etc. If it is not in the car, then that means we didn't get it in the first place.

Thanks for your enquiry
Patrick
29-09-2015, 16:34   #8
Verified representative

Quote:

Hi

The buyers fee is 5% + VAT on the hammer price plus an indemnity fee. You can see a fee guide here

If you like to PM me your email address, I will send you a copy of Snapshot which lists all the cars, we've sold here over the last four months, along with the prices achieved which will give you a good idea.

Thanks
Patrick
03-10-2015, 02:25   #9
road_high

Quote:
Not from some of the crazy prices I've seen...far better off go private at this level. Look out for well maintained minters with a stamped service history. Ample opportunity to test drive, check for crash damage, quiz the owner etc. If not confident, bring a mechanic along before parting with cash.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2015, 23:06   #10
Atlantic Dawn

When you purchase a car from the auction what is the story with the logbook? Do you as the auctioneer have to register it in the name of the buyer or do you just hand over the logbook to them and let them do it?
14-10-2015, 13:27   #11
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
When you purchase a car from the auction what is the story with the logbook? Do you as the auctioneer have to register it in the name of the buyer or do you just hand over the logbook to them and let them do it?
We take care of the paperwork for you. When you buy a car, you must produce two forms of ID, a photo ID e.g. drivers licence and an address ID, utility bill. The paperword will be transferred to the name that the ID is produced for.

Thanks for your enquiry

Patrick
19-10-2015, 13:15   #12
Barr

I see the next auction says it is Joe Duffey direct. Does this mean that they would be selling off excess stock or trade sales.

Would there be any warranties etc if the car is coming from Joe Duffey Motors?

Thanks
Barr
19-10-2015, 13:27   #13
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr View Post
I see the next auction says it is Joe Duffey direct. Does this mean that they would be selling off excess stock or trade sales.

Thanks
Barr
Joe Duffy Direct are trade-ins that they have taken in against new car sales. All trade-ins from the Group are sold at Merlin Car Auctions

Thanks
Patrick
Thanks from:
19-10-2015, 13:27   #14
bazz26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr View Post

Thanks
Barr
Very unlikely you will be getting a warranty from Joe Duffy with auction stuff, otherwise they would be selling them on their forecourts and would not bother putting them through an auction. However there could still be some of the original manufacturer's warranty remaining on the car depending on it's age.
Thanks from:
19-10-2015, 15:06   #15
Barr

The car I am looking at is 2010. How come Joe Duffy would put it through auction as opposed to selling it themselves?

Suppose I' m just curious how this particular car ended up for auction.
Forum Closed