Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife PUP payment has taken all our TAX Credits???

• 23-03-2021 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi

Firstly I'll admit I know nothing about tax and credits ect

Anyway wife had to take the PUP for a few weeks on and off due to her work situation, this morning I got an email saying new tax credit cert was on line,

So basically we got something like 7k credits and it's down to 4.5, it's spilt so I get 75% and she gets the rest as I earn 3x what she does,

My monthly tax credit is down €200 does that mean my take home will be down €200??

She has zero tax credits??

And how can the reduce our credits for 4 years by this amount when she didn't receive that much to begin with, I'll have to check but she maybe got 2-3k if the are reducing our credits by 2.5k per year for 4 years thats 10k that can't be right,

Again sorry I know nothing I usually don't even look at my pay slip because you just have to pay tax nothing can be done about it, but dropping 200 a month extra on tax will be very hard to live with,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

This adjustment in 2021 relates to an estimate for a 2021 claim. If and when a 2021 social welfare claim is closed the credits should be adjust back up somewhat. There are threads on boards explaining this already maybe someone can link one with all the discussion here (damned if I can locate anything on mobile)...?

The 2020 amounts will come off 2022 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

ari101 wrote: »
    This adjustment in 2021 relates to an estimate for a 2021 claim. If and when a 2021 social welfare claim is closed the credits should be adjust back up somewhat. There are threads on boards explaining this already maybe someone can link one with all the discussion here (damned if I can locate anything on mobile)...?

The 2020 amounts will come off 2022 onwards.

Think this is the one you were looking for :-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058157353&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BPPM

Taxation of PUP received in 2021
    The DSP informs Revenue on a weekly basis of the amount of taxable PUP paid to each recipient. Then:

any tax due is collected by reducing the person’s tax credits and rate band. To do this, Revenue ‘annualises’ the weekly amount of PUP. This is calculated by multiplying the weekly amount by 52. The annual tax credits and rate band are reduced by this amount.
    the adjusted tax credits and rate band are applied on a week 1 basis.
    the revisions are shown on the employee’s Tax Credit Certificate (TCC). A revised Revenue Payroll Notification (RPN) is made available to their employer.
    In most cases, there will be no additional tax liability at the end of 2021.

Joint assessment
    You may be taxed under Joint assessment. If you have insufficient tax credits for this reduction to apply, your spouse or civil partner’s tax credits will reduce.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Does this also apply to those who received TWSS?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Tenger wrote: »
    Does this also apply to those who received TWSS?
    Nope - TWSS was only 2020 and that’s being taxed 2022-2025

• Advertisement
Advertisement