Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 251 - Usman vs Masvidal Sat July 11th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Yan by Sub
    Those are explanations/excuses for why he performed terribly, they don't change the fact that he offered little in the fight after the first round and we watched the BMF let himself be held against the cage and have his toes stood on for literally half the fight.

Yeah sure most dedicated fans can see it for what it was and look past it and all that BMF bullsh*t, but they'll watch everything anyway, now if I'm paying PPV money specifically to see him, then yeah that was terrible

Any one who watches any bit of mma knew the outcome of that fight. When you have 1.3 million buys the majority don't know anything about MMA though and would see that as a terrible performance by Jorge.

Personally I think ppv buys is a completely useless metric in this day of free streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

rob316 wrote: »
    Masvidal Easily the best boxer in the UFC

No he isn't where has this notion came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,020 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldo by KO/TKO
    US2 wrote: »
    Personally I think ppv buys is a completely useless metric in this day of free streaming.
    Why do you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Easily the best boxer in the UFC

Cody Garbrandt wants to know how much crack are you smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Those are explanations/excuses for why he performed terribly, they don't change the fact that he offered little in the fight after the first round and we watched the BMF let himself be held against the cage and have his toes stood on for literally half the fight.

Yeah sure most dedicated fans can see it for what it was and look past it and all that BMF bullsh*t, but they'll watch everything anyway, now if I'm paying PPV money specifically to see him, then yeah that was terrible

He wasn't terrible, he still went the distance, lasted the 5 rounds, had enough of a defense game to protect himself from serious damage, against the champion, who had a full fight camp to prepare.
    If he was terrible as you claim, he'd not of went the distance and taken multiple damage due to his inability to defend himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Esse85 wrote: »
    He wasn't terrible, he still went the distance, lasted the 5 rounds, had enough of a defense game to protect himself from serious damage, against the champion, who had a full fight camp to prepare.
    If he was terrible as you claim, he'd not of went the distance and taken multiple damage due to his inability to defend himself.
    That had more to do with Usman not being interested in actually doing anything other than stepping on his toes, and Masvidal just let him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Any one who watches any bit of mma knew the outcome of that fight. When you have 1.3 million buys the majority don't know anything about MMA though and would see that as a terrible performance by Jorge.

1.3m is big though, I agree when it comes to the smaller numbers maybe but it's still indicative of something special going on when you get near the 1 million mark.

Yan by Sub
    More fights tonight only realised that now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

How is it a useless metric? Surely it is the only one that matters to the ufc??? They don't make money off free streaming! High PPV buy equals more money for them and for the fighters who are the draws.

Yan by Sub
    Beersmith wrote: »
    How is it a useless metric? Surely it is the only one that matters to the ufc??? They don't make money off free streaming! High PPV buy equals more money for them and for the fighters who are the draws.

Useless as In how many people are actually tuning in to watch. Obviously it tells you how much money is being brought in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

That had more to do with Usman not being interested in actually doing anything other than stepping on his toes, and Masvidal just let him.

So all he did was stamp on Masvidals toes was it?
    Why didn't he try take Masvidal down for ground and pound?

Oh wait, he was trying that and it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Usman deserves a lot of credit for even taking the fight. Six days notice vs a completely different style of opponent. Plenty have and would have turned that fight down.

The fight itself was boring and I expected more from Jorge. He had nothing to offer after round 1 which I felt he won.

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Useless as In how many people are actually tuning in to watch. Obviously it tells you how much money is being brought in

It's not supposed to be a measure of the amount of people that watched.
    It's a measure of the amount of people who paid to watch it.

It's probably a fair assumption that real viewers are proportional to paid viewers. anyway. As in one PPV sells 500k, and another 1m. That the real viewers in including streams/live venues are still going to be double for the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cody Garbrandt wants to know how much crack are you smoking?

Actually forgot about Cody, and Holm of course. But point stands he's one of the best boxers in the UFC.

Yan by Sub
    Actually forgot about Cody, and Holm of course. But point stands he's one of the best boxers in the UFC.

Are ye purposely leaving out McGregor?

Are ye purposely leaving out McGregor?

Conor is nowhere near Cody's level of boxing.

Nobody has Cody's hand speed, foot work, shot selection, coordination or power in lb for lb terms.

Until he gets clipped and loses the rag and runs forward with his chin up.

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Nobody has Cody's hand speed, foot work, shot selection, coordination or power in lb for lb terms. .

Many people would say those are all Conor outlying strengths also.
    And comparison is completely subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Nobody has Cody's hand speed, foot work, shot selection, coordination or power in lb for lb terms.

Conor absolutely has those in spades, as well as fantastic distance management and balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Calvin Katter too his boxing is high level

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

I know its true but I find it very hard to believe Holm was a world champion boxer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Yan by Sub

I think camp or no camp usman is just a terrible match up for masvidal and I hope they never fight each other again as it'll be much of the same

Usman I'm guessing will sell less ppvs in his next 3 combined than this
    one after that performance
    It's a pity fighters don't think about this but I'm guessing winning is
    the be all...

The ufc on the other hand must have been disgusted after giving
    in to Masvidals demands and then having to watch that

Aldo by KO/TKO
    MUFC91CS wrote: »
    I know its true but I find it very hard to believe Holm was a world champion boxer
    It's not hard to believe on the basis that the standard in womens boxing is poor, especially so 16 years ago. Womens pro titles were only established. All of the titles she picked up were either inaugural or vacant belts.*

Look at the locations of her fights - most are in her hometown of Albuquerque. And only 3 were outside of New Mexico. Local hero type world champ. Nowhere near the level of the current crop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Holm#Professional_boxing_career

*Edit: She lost a title, and won in back in a rematch. That the only time she faced an incumbant champ in 24 title fights.

Holm was a good female boxer for that era. But she isn't even top 3 in the UFC right now. Let alone including the men.

mailburner wrote: »
    I think camp or no camp usman is just a terrible match up for masvidal and I hope they never fight each other again as it'll be much of the same

Usman I'm guessing will sell less ppvs in his next 3 combined than this
    one after that performance
    It's a pity fighters don't think about this but I'm guessing winning is
    the be all...

The ufc on the other hand must have been disgusted after giving
    in to Masvidals demands and then having to watch that

Doubt they were disgusted. Looks like by paying him and having the fight they made many more millions. They don't care about much else

• Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Aldo by KO/TKO
    Conor is nowhere near Cody's level of boxing.

Until he gets clipped and loses the rag and runs forward with his chin up.

Well that's a load of sh*T

Its like saying I'm a fantastic soccer player until I get tackled,

In a boxing match your going to get hit ,When Coady gets hit he gets dropped,
    You also point out he loses his composure another HUGE part of boxing ,

Its like saying my Aunt had balls she's be my Uncle , Coady missing some of the most vital parts of a brilliant boxing skill set ,

Yan by Sub

Its like saying my Aunt had balls she's be my Uncle , Coady missing some of the most vital parts of a brilliant boxing skill set ,

Yep. It wasn't even worth replying too.

Dry your eyes lads.

On skills basis, Cody Garbrandt is levels above Conor's boxing.

People spent years talking about Cruz's footwork, movement, boxing and head movement, Cody made him look like he was in the wrong sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Maybe in offensive boxing? Always considered not getting KO'd one of the key skills in boxing myself. Maybe that's just me though.

Dry your eyes lads.

On skills basis, Cody Garbrandt is levels above Conor's boxing.

People spent years talking about Cruz's footwork, movement, boxing and head movement, Cody made him look like he was in the wrong sport.

There was something seriously wrong with cruz for that fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

It's not even when he loses his composure. I saw a video comparing him and TJ early in the first fight. When Tj swings a left hook, his right hand comes up to block his chin. Same the other side. Really disciplined.
    Cody was not doing that at all.

Even though the last knockout was spectacular, he wasn't defending. And Assuncao was first to land, but he was off target. Won't always happen that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yan by Sub
    Beersmith wrote: »
    There was something seriously wrong with cruz for that fight

He stunk of cigarettes and alcohol tbh

Advertisement