Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joint Assessment Options

• 11-04-2021 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I recently got married and when updating my civil status on revenue.ie I'm asked to select who is the assessable spouse and after that I'm also asked to specify how to split tax credits and rate bands.

There's an option "We request to divide the tax credits and rate bands equally between us", and can anyone help me understand what this means? I basically want to ensure that our transferrable tax credits are split up equally but that our tax rate bands are fully used. Would this option do that?

I earn 60k and my partner earns 23k, so would this option ("We request to divide the tax credits and rate bands equally between us") split the tax credits equally AND the tax rate band too (ie. 44300 + my partner's 23k, divided by 2, which would be 33.650)? or, would it split the tax credits but the tax band allocation would be fully used (ie 23k for my partner and the 44.300 for me?

Many thanks with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Assuming standard credits, 1650*2 each, just keep your own as you both have enough income to use them all.

For bands though, you should take the max transferrable share of 44.3k, as your partner earns less than 26.3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rfaria

ari101 wrote: »
    Assuming standard credits, 1650*2 each, just keep your own as you both have enough income to use them all.

For bands though, you should take the max transferrable share of 44.3k, as your partner earns less than 26.3k.

Thanks! And is there an option I can select that does that for me automatically? Or will I have to manually set the tax credit and rate bands split? Each of us have other tax credits associated to our jobs, for example a deduction from a benefit in kind from health insurance, so it won't be that straight forward

Advertisement