Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeview Frequencies

• 15-07-2003 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭

Anyone know where the free view frequencies are located in the lower uhf band or do they run completely separate to uhf???
    Any help would be most helpful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

You don't say where you're from or what transmitter you are currently picking up, but to answer your other question, all freeview transmitter operate in the same UHF band as analogue transmitters.

NC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Sorry for not elaborating. Going for the north of Ireland which transmitters have freeview? Also if I was going for Wales which transmitters have Freeview capabillity?

In Northern Ireland Divis, Brougher Mountain and Limavady all broadcast DTT, while from Wales Presely and Blawenplyf have DTT outlets.

Bear in mind that you have to be closer to a transmitter for DTT to work in fringe areas than you usually would be for an analogue signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Thanks.

Do they have a designated channel number on which to come in on like 55 or something like that? Then the box sorts them.

Yes. For example, the six "multiplexes" from Brougher Mountain are assigned as follows..

Mux 1 (BBC) - Ch 30
    Mux 2 (ITV/CH4) - Ch 34
    Mux A (Ch5/SDN) - Ch 23
    Mux B (BBC) - Ch 26
    Mux C (Sky/CCI) - Ch 29
    Mux D (CCI) - Ch 33

But beware, there is no absolute way of telling if you can receive them through a normal analogue TV set. Only a DTT box/decoder or IDTV can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or a spectrum analyser is nice. A good one is only the price of a cheap new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

living in waterford with a normal RTE aerial. Does this mean I cannot recieve freeview signals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

There are 2 types of hope for you... (3 if you are from Drogheda.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

let me guess :

1) no hope
    2) little hope
    3) the third one doesn't matter

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sheba96

colin300 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the free view frequencies are located in the lower uhf band or do they run completely separate to uhf???
    Any help would be most helpful!

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php hey i found this site really useful think u shud try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Any chance ye could post your reception reports for UK Freeview on

http://ukfreeview.mpeg4ireland.com/map

And Irish MPEG4 DTT on

http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/map

would be good to see where etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

johnnyq wrote: »
    living in waterford with a normal RTE aerial. Does this mean I cannot recieve freeview signals ?

I know that people even at sea level in Rosslare can pick up Welsh TV because near Kellys Hotel there are several houses with aerials pointing out to the east, there is a sticky on this topic (reception of Welsh signals in Ireland) here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658286

If you live in Waterford it may be possible with a good aerial, where exactly in Waterford do you live? No need to give your exact address but be reasonably precise. Do any of your neighbours have aerials pointing E or SE, in the direction of Kilmore Quay/Carnsore Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

6 and a half years folks!! I'd say they got their answers long before now!!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Hi all

Not sure if im posting this in the right place apologies if im not ... but i was wondering if anyone could help me... i have a Humax hdci 2000t trial box hooked up to my roof aerial and can receive most of the UK Freeview channels. Given my location (Dundalk), i assume im getting these channels from the Divis transmitter. However im not able to pick up anything broadcasting off mux c on ch48. Is there anything i can do to get the channels on mux c???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

doney84 wrote: »
    Hi all

Not sure if im posting this in the right place apologies if im not ... but i was wondering if anyone could help me... i have a Humax hdci 2000t trial box hooked up to my roof aerial and can receive most of the UK Freeview channels. Given my location (Dundalk), i assume im getting these channels from the Divis transmitter. However im not able to pick up anything broadcasting off mux c on ch48. Is there anything i can do to get the channels on mux c???

You probably have a group A aerial which covers most of the channels. You will need a wideband aerial to pull in Mux C as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

johnnyq wrote: »
    living in Waterford with a normal RTE aerial. Does this mean I cannot receive free view signals ?
    I'm on the Dunmore Road and can't pick up the British channels either on Digital or Analogue and I've got a fairly good ariel.

sesswhat wrote: »
    You probably have a group A aerial which covers most of the channels. You will need a wideband aerial to pull in Mux C as well.

thanks sesswhat for your quick reply,

i did a small bit of research and i found that a group A aerial covers frequencies from ch21 to ch 37. i can get irish dtt from my aerial which are on ch53 so would this not suggest that my aerial is a wideband one???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

thanks sesswhat for your quick reply,

i did a small bit of research and i found that a group A aerial covers frequencies from ch21 to ch 37. i can get irish dtt from my aerial which are on ch53 so would this not suggest that my aerial is a wideband one???

It may be that you get a very strong signal locally from Clermont Carn on any type of aerial.

Of course you may also have a wideband aerial but suffer interference from something else on CH48.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

sesswhat wrote: »
    It may be that you get a very strong signal locally from Clermont Carn on any type of aerial.

Of course you may also have a wideband aerial but suffer interference from something else on CH48.

Ch 48 is one of the most difficult to pick up as its a high number on the channel band. AFAIK wideband aerials don't cope as well with those signals higher up the band. I live c15 miles as crow flies from Divis and CH. 48 is weakest multiplex with a wideband aerial. I do suffer from foliage in summer which doesn't help either but even in winter all other multiplixes show high signal quality/strength when this one doesn't. BTW my aerial is Televes Pro 27 and I have a Fringe super set back amplifier to help boost signal at TV.

Ch 48 is one of the most difficult to pick up as its a high number on the channel band. AFAIK wideband aerials don't cope as well with those signals higher up the band. I live c15 miles as crow flies from Divis and CH. 48 is weakest multiplex with a wideband aerial. I do suffer from foliage in summer which doesn't help either but even in winter all other multiplixes show high signal quality/strength when this one doesn't. BTW my aerial is Televes Pro 27 and I have a Fringe super set back amplifier to help boost signal at TV.

Are you sure you're using a wideband? Ch 48 is only midway along the UHF spectrum which runs from 21 to 68 so a WB should pick it up no bother. Divis analog is Group A and of the Freeview channels, only ch 48 is outside Group A so if you have a WB aerial the reception on ch 48 should be better than the rest given that the reception curve on a WB usually shows better reception on the higher channels.

Group A aerials (ch 21-37) tend to have a very tight reception band and performance drops off rapidly above ch 37. Either you have a Group A which has a wider than normal spectrum coverage or (more likely) a Group K (ch 21-48). There's no way a WB aerial would give good reception for Group A channels and poor in ch 48, it's the opposite that you'd expect to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Finne1993 wrote: »
    6 and a half years folks!! I'd say they got their answers long before now!!:):)

holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Thread has grown new legs now :)

Hi all

Divis analog is currently Group A and the final Freeview channel lineup will be Group A. Ch 48 is a transition channel which will be dropped when the analog channels are switched off so unless there's something there (mux c) that you can't live without, I suggest you stay with your current aerial because if you can't get anything on ch 48 it suggests you have a Group A aerial which is the best long term option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you sure you're using a wideband? Ch 48 is only midway along the UHF spectrum which runs from 21 to 68 so a WB should pick it up no bother. Divis analog is Group A and of the Freeview channels, only ch 48 is outside Group A so if you have a WB aerial the reception on ch 48 should be better than the rest given that the reception curve on a WB usually shows better reception on the higher channels.

Group A aerials (ch 21-37) tend to have a very tight reception band and performance drops off rapidly above ch 37. Either you have a Group A which has a wider than normal spectrum coverage or (more likely) a Group K (ch 21-48). There's no way a WB aerial would give good reception for Group A channels and poor in ch 48, it's the opposite that you'd expect to see.

Thanks for this very helpful info. I've always assumed it is wideband as I remember having it put up in place of what I think was a Group A aerial as this would not bring in Ch.48 multiplex. However your Group K suggestion may be correct. It is definitely a Televes Pro 27 aerial. At present signal on Ch.48 multiplex is steady but when summer comes I do tend to get some breakup due to problem with trees. All my other multiplexes are fine throughout the year.

Divis analog is currently Group A and the final Freeview channel lineup will be Group A. Ch 48 is a transition channel which will be dropped when the analog channels are switched off so unless there's something there (mux c) that you can't live without, I suggest you stay with your current aerial because if you can't get anything on ch 48 it suggests you have a Group A aerial which is the best long term option for you.

Thanks coylemj,

I can live without Mux C for now(would have been nice to get skysports news). However, is it possible that i have a group A aerial even though i receive Irish DTT on ch53?

Also when analog on Divis is switched off should i expect to be able to receive both UK Dtt & Irish Dtt from my aerial given that im in Dundalk, as i read somewhere that they could restrict the UK Dtt signal in the south ?

I can live without Mux C for now(would have been nice to get skysports news). However, is it possible that i have a group A aerial even though i receive Irish DTT on ch53?

Probably not, the reception curve of Group A aerials drops very rapidly after ch 37 and so should be useless at picking up ch 53. If you're picking up Divis and Ch 53 you have a wideband. the only qualification I'd put on this is that if the signal is very strong you might pick up ch 53 on any old aerial, wideband or grouped.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html#aerialgroups

Also when analog on Divis is switched off should i expect to be able to receive both UK Dtt & Irish Dtt from my aerial given that im in Dundalk, as i read somewhere that they could restrict the UK Dtt signal in the south ?

Are you sure you're picking up Divis and not Camlough? The Divis analog signal is group A horizontal whereas Camlough is C/D and vertical. From Dundalk you should have a C/D vertically aligned aerial which will cover both Camlough and Clermont Carn i.e. will pickup UK and Irish analog and DTT. The Irish DTT on Ch 53 is coming from Clermont Carn which is a vertically aligned signal, there's no way you're picking up Divis (Group A horizontal) and Irish DTT (Group C/D vertical) from the same aerial in Dundalk.

I'd say you have either a wideband or C/D aerial and you're picking up Camlough and not Divis.

Probably not, the reception curve of Group A aerials drops very rapidly after ch 37 and so should be useless at picking up ch 53. If you're picking up Divis and Ch 53 you have a wideband. the only qualification I'd put on this is that if the signal is very strong you might pick up ch 53 on any old aerial, wideband or grouped.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html#aerialgroups

Are you sure you're picking up Divis and not Camlough? The Divis analog signal is group A horizontal whereas Camlough is C/D and vertical. From Dundalk you should have a C/D vertically aligned aerial which will cover both Camlough and Clermont Carn i.e. will pickup UK and Irish analog and DTT. The Irish DTT on Ch 53 is coming from Clermont Carn which is a vertically aligned signal, there's no way you're picking up Divis (Group A horizontal) and Irish DTT (Group C/D vertical) from the same aerial in Dundalk.

I'd say you have either a wideband or C/D aerial and you're picking up Camlough and not Divis.

I've checked my tv and i receive the analog uk tv channels as follows; channel 4 - c21, Utv - c24, BBC2 - c27, BBC1 -c31. I think these are the frequencies from the Divis transmitter also i don't think Camlough is broadcasting Freeview yet ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Yes, these are the Divis frequencies.

Coylemj: as you say he could he could be picking up the DTT regardless of aerial type and/or polarisation because of the signal strength. The DTT signal is very strong here in Dundalk since the Clermont Carn mast is so near to the town. I've tried indoor aerials, 10 element jobs etc. Go near a window at all and you will pick up DTT.

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Yes, these are the Divis frequencies.

Coylemj: as you say he could he could be picking up the DTT regardless of aerial type and/or polarisation because of the signal strength. The DTT signal is very strong here in Dundalk since the Clermont Carn mast is so near to the town. I've tried indoor aerials, 10 element jobs etc. Go near a window at all and you will pick up DTT.

Ok, in that case doney84 probably has a Group A aerial since he can't pick up Ch 48 but he is getting the other Divis channels (24-31), we're agreed that ch 53 (Clermont Carn DTT) is coming in so strong that a coat hanger would pick it up.

The Group A aerial will also pickup the full set of Freeview channels from Divis but not the Mux c until switchover step 2, see the channels layout in this webpage which covers someone living in Newry, you need only look at the Divis channels.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/trade/BT35+8HF/NA/0

Thanks for your feedback mayo exile & coylemj, think i'll keep the aerial i have instead of upgrading it to a wideband one as everything i need will end up been broadcast on frequencies i can pick up!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your feedback mayo exile & coylemj, think i'll keep the aerial i have instead of upgrading it to a wideband one as everything i need will end up been broadcast on frequencies i can pick up!

That would be highly recommended, there wouldn't be a huge difference in performance for instance between a Group C/D aerial and a wideband but if all of your channels fall into Group A then you are miles better staying with a Group A aerial since widebands tend to perform better on the higher channels.

Advertisement