Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca in Star Wars)

• 02-05-2019 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Ah no :(
    The family of Peter Mayhew, with deep love and sadness, regrets to share the news that Peter has passed away. He left us the evening of April 30, 2019 with his family by his side in his North Texas home.

https://twitter.com/TheWookieeRoars/status/1124077256240967681

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May the Force be with him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

AhRrHHhRrHh i p

So that's Leia, Chewbacca and R2-D2 gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

RIP, Just read about it on BBC news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The Emperor is still alive

he hehe hehe hehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

:(

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1124093358798929920

A lovely, generous man by all accounts, and played a huge role in my childhood.

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1124093358798929920

A lovely, generous man by all accounts, and played a huge role in my childhood.

no pun intended?

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    no pun intended?

Heh, literally and figuratively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nice letter paying tribute to him from Harrison Ford:
    Peter Mayhew was a kind and gentle man, possessed of great dignity and noble character. These aspects of his own personality, plus his wit and grace, he brought to Chewbacca. We were partners in film and friends in life for over 30 years and I loved him. He invested his soul in the character and brought great pleasure to the Star Wars audience. Chewbacca was an important part of the success of the films we made together. He knew how important the fans of the franchise were to its continued success and he was devoted to them. I and millions of others will never forget Peter and what he gave us all. My thoughts are with his dear wife Angie and his children. Rest easy, my dear friend….

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/harrison-ford-remembers-star-wars-star-peter-mayhew-i-loved-him-1207164

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

He had a very good reputation among Star Wars fans for being a real pleasure to meet and very generous with his time with the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Couldnt call him an actor in the real sense. Just wore a costume and made a funny sound. Weird he never had any other movie roles outside of the costume?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

RIP Peter Mayhew aka Chewbacca.

I don't think anyone else would have been able to do Chewbacca like he did or as good as he did.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Couldnt call him an actor in the real sense. Just wore a costume and made a funny sound. Weird he never had any other movie roles outside of the costume?

Pretty difficult to secure roles in rom coms et al when you're 7 foot 3 inches tall I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

RIP

I was always curious about this but never looked into it; how much of Chewbacca was Mayhew's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

RIP

I was always curious about this but never looked into it; how much of Chewbacca was Mayhew's?

As in character acting probably zero I mean could hardly see the guy learning his lines. Also RIP to the guy forgot to say it earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭brevity

I would say it’s a role that looks easy to play but if you tried to do it you might find out that it’s more difficult than you first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

brevity wrote: »
    I would say it’s a role that looks easy to play but if you tried to do it you might find out that it’s more difficult than you first thought.

Yeah like I mean Chewbacca facially was quite expressive. That's what I'm getting at; was that Mayhew or just puppetry?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mayhew's body movements were quite distinctive and he brought a lot of character to the role. Chewie was best in TESB where Kershner really worked with Mayhew. The other directors often just had Chewie standing around or seemed to forget about him. The moment of him walking past a grieving Leia at the end of TFA is a good example of this.

The moment of him walking past a grieving Leia at the end of TFA is a good example of this.

I absolutely hated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

RIP

There are clips of the original movies with the sound from the set. You'll be very surprised to hear that Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca speaks his lines in clear english. The wookie growls were dubbed in afterwards and the lines in english made it easier for Ford to react accurately to what Chewie was supposed to be saying.
    Also, as has been pointed out, the body language element to the role should not be underestimated as we as viewers know what is going on in his mind without being able to understand the growls.

Also worth tracking down the footage of David Prowse delivering Vader's lines on set. Prowse had a very strong rural accent (think of something along the lines of the "I've got a brand new combine harvester" song) and it's easy to see how the other cast members were sceptical that the Vader character could be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Couldnt call him an actor in the real sense. Just wore a costume and made a funny sound.

Well I have said it many a time, but Mayhew really makes a difference in playing Chewie, because I think the new guy playing Chewie is rubbish. Playing him isn't a case of just requiring a tall person. Mayhew really imbued character into how he moved, and "spoke" in the suit that you just believe in Chewie, and don't just think of him as a man in a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

who doesn't love chewbacca

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

buser2x wrote: »
    who doesn't love chewbacca
    The organisers of the awards ceremony at the end of Ep IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dades wrote: »
    The organisers of the awards ceremony at the end of Ep IV.
    Leia at the end of Ep VII.

• Advertisement
Advertisement