Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Don't have anything other than the stock DS4 myself, but a few sites recommend the Nacon Revolution Pro Controller 2 as the best 3rd party one. But keep an eye out for the Astro C40 TR is coming out the end of March, if she can wait. Looks really good.

Stay away from the Nacon.

SCUF or battlebeaver from what I've seen, lots of bad press for SCUF over the years but quality and reliability has been improved, battlebeaver come from the US so you would have that to deal with. Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/BiggerBulletGaming for honest review.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Friend invite sent, once you accept that, I can then send you the beta invite which you'll have to accept again.

Edit: beta invite sent

Thanks, have done that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone on PS4 pro with really annoying fan noise? Only bought it a few months before Xmas and some games drive it crazy to the point where the fans down out the game sound. I'd actually prefer my regular PS4 beck at this point. Do Sony offer any fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Anyone on PS4 pro with really annoying fan noise? Only bought it a few months before Xmas and some games drive it crazy to the point where the fans down out the game sound. I'd actually prefer my regular PS4 beck at this point. Do Sony offer any fix?

Yeah I get it too for some games, I just use headphones most of the time to drown it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yeah I get it too for some games, I just use headphones most of the time to drown it out

Ah crap. I was thinking of upgrading to Pro as mine gets a little noisy during RDR2. Not enough to need to adjust volume though. Randomly spitting out discs again also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

On the other hand,mine is not really any louder than my old base console.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

EoinHef wrote: »
    On the other hand,mine is not really any louder than my old base console.

Yeah it seems to just happen to random ps4s. Seen plenty of posts on reddit with the same issue, it's just something you have to live with. Just have a pair of headphones on hand when it gets too loud.

It's rare I get to use headphones in case the baby starts crying. TBH, I wish I kept my original PS4. Gonna try clean out the fans and take it out of the TV unit, see if it makes a difference.

Yeah it seems to just happen to random ps4s. Seen plenty of posts on reddit with the same issue, it's just something you have to live with. Just have a pair of headphones on hand when it gets too loud.

Wonder is it a sillicon lottery thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You've cleaned the vents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote:

It's kinda normal.
    More demanding games make it louder imo. I hear recently released consoles (e.g. RDR2 bundle) are better but my launch Pro sounds like it will gently lift off my desk and drift out my window sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's kinda normal.
    More demanding games make it louder imo. I hear recently released consoles (e.g. RDR2 bundle) are better but my launch Pro sounds like it will gently lift off my desk and drift out my window sometimes.

I got the Fortnite bundle during the summer and I've no issues with fan noise from it. I'm currently playing God of War which I think would be a pretty demanding game and I wouldn't hear the fans going while playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it seems to be a bit of a lottery. The suggestions I saw online were, a) turn your tv up and b) buy an xbox. Doesn't appear to be another workaround.

duploelabs wrote: »
    You've cleaned the vents?

Not yet, gonna try tonight.

ERG, definitely not normal. When my missus walks in the room and says "what the hell is wrong with your PlayStation". I got the Fortnite bundle a few months back but and it's always been louder than the base console but last 2 games Resi 2 and Div 2 beta (1 physical, 1 digital) drove it mad. Completely takes you out of a game like Resi 2 when the fans are louder than Mr. X footsteps.

I saw that Sony stealth released a new model cuh-7200 that's quiter and performs better. Mine is cuh-7116. Obviously getting rid of the old models attaching the Fortnite name to it with a cheap trade in deal.

Anyway, gonna try clean it out tonight and if no luck, try chance my arm with Sony to replace for the new model :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have the Monster Hunter Pro and you would not notice any noise from it from any game, but my friend has a launch version pro and it can sound like it is about to take off at times.

Xenji wrote: »
    I have the Monster Hunter Pro and you would not notice any noise from it from any game, but my friend has a launch version pro and it can sound like it is about to take off at times.

Any chance you could look at the back to get the model number when you have a chance? Stats with cuh-

Any chance you could look at the back to get the model number when you have a chance? Stats with cuh-

It was the first CUH-7100 model to be released, its exact number is CUH-7166B.

Xenji wrote: »
    It was the first CUH-7100 model to be released, its exact number is CUH-7166B.

Mine is 7116B, must be earlier than yours.

Mine is 7116B, must be earlier than yours.

I think the 7100 series started coming out in October/November 2017, I got mine at the end of January 2018.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    it seems to be a bit of a lottery. The suggestions I saw online were, a) turn your tv up and b) buy an xbox. Doesn't appear to be another workaround.

Would seem to be the casee to me. When buying CPU/GPU on the PC side you may get a better or wrose chip. Some will use less power,have lower temps etc All the chips are within the tolerance but some will just be plain better.

People will pay extra money for binned chips,chips that have been proven to be better overclockers,better temps etc

Id have to imagine thats whats happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

My model is cuh7116b and I've no issues with the fans. I must be one of the lucky ones. It sits on a shelf with plenty of space around it away from the telly and no other devices beside it so maybe that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I’ve a launch pro, and anytime there is a heavy graphics on screen (a lot) it does sound like an airplane about to take off.
    Weirdly I got two fans that I plug in, one is sitting on top of where it gets hottest and the other is at the back blowing the air out of the cabinet (ikea tv unit - so a bit small), once Ive both of these running (near silent) I rarely hear the roaring anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Spent €99 on a 6TB off WD themselves from their refurbish stock.

Have to be quick as stuff goes out of stock very quickly and that's even with stock alerts set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Will have to check the model when I get home, but it does sound like it's about to take off. I have it about 18 months at this stage iirc. But, I'm pretty sure it's because mine is near a wall (limited space for now), I must test it sometime and take it into the middle of the room and see if there's any difference. The wall behind it can be red at times. Vertical or horizontal doesn't make a difference, except that vertical has more 'motion' noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Looking for a bit of advice. In the last 2 days I've received 3 emails from Sony saying I requested to change my password, which I haven't. The email says if I didn't request it, make sure only I have access to the account. Which is very helpful ha.

I'm already using 2 step verification and my password isn't been re-used for other accounts. I've removed my payment methods and there is no money in my account. Anything else I can do? I'm thinking it's probably somebody entering in the wrong email.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Who ever it is has you email.

They either just have the email from a typo on trying to use their own email, or it's malicious and they have your email from either some marketing list or a breach elsewhere.

Change the psn account email, so either to something fully new or if using Gmail use the dot trick. Most places treat ab@gmail.com and a.b@gmail.com as different emails but Google treats them the same. You can change your acoount email to one with a periodin it so chances are whoever it is now would be trying the wrong email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd change the password on it anyway and change the email address too. Its possible its someone who has your email address and is trying to gain access. Thread here before where someone with 2FA on their account still had it stolen from them due to Sonys customer care teams lax procedures.

Advertisement