Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I Am the Master of My Fate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

joey100 wrote: »
    In one of the Friday swim sessions I got a cramp in my leg and was sitting on the bank stretching it out, was talking to the coach about my turns and he used you as an example of someone who turns well and smooth, so I wouldn't say you were slow.

I'm not sure that I do. I might touch and turn quickly enough, but I don't get streamlined enough and my 'dolphin kick' is woeful. Then I never know when I should take my first stroke or break back into regular kicking. Lots of people who push off the same time as me get more distance from their push off than I do. All the good swimmers must have been sitting on the deck cramping that night.

If you were to watch me a full hour, you'd see the distance I get from my push offs steadily decrease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

zico10 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I do. I might touch and turn quickly enough, but I don't get streamlined enough and my 'dolphin kick' is woeful. Then I never know when I should take my first stroke or break back into regular kicking. Lots of people who push off the same time as me get more distance from their push off than I do. All the good swimmers must have been sitting on the deck cramping that night.

If you were to watch me a full hour, you'd see the distance I get from my push offs steadily decrease.

(Anathema for most Tri swimming coaches but...) try some 25 fly to improve your dolphin kick. Or "superman" position, face up or down, and just dolphin kick drills. You'll soon get a feeling for what works to push you forward, and what doesn't.

If turning is your biggest swim limiter though, as a triathlete you've no problems. Slow tumble turns will be more useful to your OW racing than quick touch turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I agree that the difference between LC and SC times are not that important, but I'm always interested in peoples opinions on this. This is mainly because I like to compare my sessions to the better swimmers around here (you, Kurt, MCOS, Dory, etc) and see where I am; as most swim SC this can be difficult (summer 2013 and myself and Kurt were close (9 secs in an OD OW swim), but now he's left me behind and I want to get as close as I can to him again). I think 5-6 secs per 100m LC v SC for me is about right

I keep telling myself I need to learn to tumble turn but I haven't got around to it yet. My kids can do it effortlessly and from watching them being coached I know what I should be doing but I haven't tried yet. That said I do believe that a good touch turn is better than a poor tumble turn. I agree that faster turns and better propulsion off the wall is the easiest way to drive down the 400m TT times.

My other big limiter in the pool is fitness, I'm not in the same league fitness wise as most around here and this hasn't been helped by a knee problem. I've being working on my pacing recently and managed to get below 13mins for the first time for a 750m TT in the 50m pool last week with almost perfectly event splits. My other issue is stroke rate, I'm not to pushed about strokes per length but my coach is and keeps banging on at me to get it down as he reckons I'm working too hard.

Whatever about fast twitch muscle fibers, if I can get my IM time close to yours I'll be very happy!

I hope to use my extra poundage this summer when I plan on ditching the wet suit and trying some skins swims (maybe!).

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    (Anathema for most Tri swimming coaches but...) try some 25 fly to improve your dolphin kick. Or "superman" position, face up or down, and just dolphin kick drills. You'll soon get a feeling for what works to push you forward, and what doesn't.

If turning is your biggest swim limiter though, as a triathlete you've no problems. Slow tumble turns will be more useful to your OW racing than quick touch turns.

I'd look less ridiculous doing the 'superman' drill, so I might try that.

Also I get what you're saying about tumble turns being more useful for OW swim preparation. I know tri-swimming is all about coming out of the water as relaxed as possible, but to get there, I think sometimes you need to simply work in the pool. This is a mindset as much as anything else. When I'm working hard in the pool, tumble turning takes too much concentration. I slow down to much to judge the distance. Better I think to get to the wall as fast as you can, touch it, and come away from it as quickly as possible.

joey100 wrote: »
    In one of the Friday swim sessions I got a cramp in my leg and was sitting on the bank stretching it out, was talking to the coach about my turns and he used you as an example of someone who turns well and smooth, so I wouldn't say you were slow.

The same coach told me similar last night, maybe I'm being too hard on myself.

• Advertisement

Monday 9th February
    a.m.

Cycle
    1 hour turbo, easy spinning
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 25km

p.m.
    Run
    8km out and back from my apartment along the Royal Canal Way
    Totals; 0.5hrs – 8.0km

Swim
    Coached session, 25m pool
    4*100m descending off 2.00 (1.40, 1.38, 1.35, 1.32)
    16*50m off 70 seconds, descending 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16
    7*200m off 3.30
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,600m

Tuesday 10th February

a.m.
    Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    400m warm up
    6*400m off 7.50
    I thought 7.50 was quiet a generous time and started these at a nice easy effort and only got about 10 seconds rest on the first two. I upped the intensity on the third one by increasing my turnover, and got 20 seconds rest. I settled into a rhythm after this and got between 20-25 seconds rest on the remainder.
    6*200m off 4.00
    These felt comfortable after the 400s. Probably nothing spectacular about this session, but the coach who subscribed the session said it was just about getting the distance done, so I wasn't looking to break any records.
    100m easy
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 4,100m

p.m.
    Run
    30.84km in 2.38.54, 5.09/km
    Totals; 2.5hrs – 30.84km

Wednesday 11th February

a.m.
    Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    8*100m on 2.10 warm up descending 1-4 & 5-8, numbers 4 and 8 being done at around 80% PE
    Times dropped from 1.55 to 1.40 on both sets of 4
    Main set was 15*200m on 4.05 done as;
    3*200m pull
    3*200m swim
    3*200m descending 1-3 (fastest was done in 3.26, which I was pleasantly surprised with for the effort it took)
    3*200m pull
    3*200m swim
    I felt like I was swimming well throughout this session. The descending 100s had me in the right frame of mind from the off and I think I was holding good form for the rest of the session. Anything with a pull buoy serves as active recovery for me, so there was nothing too strenuous about these 200s. Now I might find myself struggling again in a month or two, but right now I think my body is starting to get used to what it takes to swim faster for less effort.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,800m

p.m.
    Cycle
    Two hours on turbo, moderate effort
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 55.0km

Thursday 12th February
    a.m.
    Swim
    WU 100m FS
    300m back stroke
    18 x 50m (as 25 fast & 25 easy)
    400m (as 50 fast, 50 steady)
    400m paddles & pull buoy (as 50 fast & 50 steady)
    100m easy
    4 x 100m (as 100 fast, 75 fast & 25 easy, 50 fast & 50 easy, 25 fast & 75 easy)
    200m fast (3.12)
    200m cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,000m

p.m.
    Cycle
    Turbo; 10.00 warm up, 20.00 effort, 10.00 recovery, 12.00 effort, 6.00 recovery, 5.00 effort, 3.00 recovery, 5.00 effort, 10.00 cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 44.0km

Friday 13th February

a.m.
    1 hour easy turbo
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 25km

p.m.
    Swim
    Coached session 25m pool
    Warm up 4*100m of 2.00
    12*50m drills
    12*200 off 3.30
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 3,400m
    The 3,400m total seems a bit much, especially seeing as the drills in the middle would have been a lot slower than straight swimming. But I think we were in the water for slightly longer than an hour, so it wouldn’t have been impossible.

Saturday 14th February
    Run
    10km easy with 8*100m strides
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 10.0km

Cycle
    90 minutes turbo, moderate effort
    I was thinking about going outside for this, but I knew I’d be inside watching the rugby for an hour and half this evening. The cycle wasn’t going to be such hard work that I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on the game, so I was happy to postpone it and did this watching Ireland beat France.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 41.25km

Sunday 15th February

Swim
    4*400m alternating f/s and pull
    50 easy
    Totals; 0.5hrs – 1,650m
    I had been out last night and even though I didn’t have too much to drink, I was home late and I didn’t get up in time for my weekly club spin. I was thinking of taking the entire day off, but as I’d missed my sixth swim of the week yesterday I decided to get myself to the pool. But I’d already bought a ticket to go to Dublin v Tipperary in Parnell Park, so I didn’t have as much time in the water as I usually have.

Weekly Totals;
    Swim; 7.0hrs – 18,550m
    Bike; 7.0hrs – 190.25km
    Run; 4.0hrs – 48.84km
    S & C; 0.0hrs

My run distance is well down on previous weeks, no strength and conditioning work either. I was feeling a bit tired towards the end of the week, so decided to dial things back a bit. I’ll be in danger of slipping into bad habits if I keep this up though.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I agree that the difference between LC and SC times are not that important, but I'm always interested in peoples opinions on this. This is mainly because I like to compare my sessions to the better swimmers around here (you, Kurt, MCOS, Dory, etc) and see where I am; as most swim SC this can be difficult (summer 2013 and myself and Kurt were close (9 secs in an OD OW swim), but now he's left me behind and I want to get as close as I can to him again). I think 5-6 secs per 100m LC v SC for me is about right

You flatter me, but I think the other three people could be highly offended if they see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You flatter me, but I think the other three people could be highly offended if they see this.

Quite the contrary, my dear. I'm in good company when slotted or seated next to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice going yesterday. Given your swim focus you must be pretty happy with that result?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice going yesterday. Given your swim focus you must be pretty happy with that result?

I'm never happy.:)

When I heard Aaron O' Brien and Darren Dunne were racing, I knew there wouldn't be much room for me on the podium. From that point of view I'm happy with the result, but the performance itself showed up a lot of weaknesses. I'll write a report by and by and go into it further.

P.S. While I know I've given a lot of time to the swim this winter, it's not as if I've abandoned biking and running. Unlike last year, when I did ZERO biking, I wasn't going into the race unprepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Were you swimming in Roscrea pool last night? I saw someone who looked a bit like you :)

Were you swimming in Roscrea pool last night? I saw someone who looked a bit like you :)

That wasn't me, but he must have been very handsome whoever he was.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

That wasn't me, but he must have been very handsome whoever he was.:)

Ya he wasn't bad. Bit skinny but he had a very nice catch going on :D

Monday 16th February
    Cycle
    4 hour turbo, moderate effort
    Totals; 4.0hrs – 100km

Swim

400 warm up
    4*200 off 3.40
    4*200 off 3.35
    100 easy
    1*200 off 3.35 We were due to do 3/4*200m at this pace, but I cramped badly after the first one and that was that.
    150m swim down
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,450m

Run

To and from swim
    Totals; 1.0hrs - 12.5km

Tuesday 17th February

Swim
    NAC - 25m pool
    900 warm up as
    50 swim, 50 kick, 50 pull
    4 sets of {4 * 50 on 60 desc 1-4, straight into 100 active recovery}
    400m focusing on good stroke (At least that was the theory, I was counting my stroke rate which was working out at 21-23 strokes per length)
    As part of today's session, my coach had given me this small test to do over 600m;
    3*200m on 3.25
    - just letting 1st one happen (I took the coach’s advice and 'just let it happen'. I got 3.17, which surprised me, as I wasn't pushing very hard)
    - dig/go out hard on 1st 100 of the 2nd 200 (3.15, but I went into the red on the first 100. I eased back on second half, but worried I might be goi g too slow during it, very happy to come in on time I did)
    - go as hard as you like on 3rd one (this was more frantic than the other two. I pushed for the first 150m, then eased up , back to just letting it happen and I clocked 3.15)
    easy 100m
    16*50m on 60 seconds (coming in on 50)
    200 cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs - 3,900m

Run
    Intervals - 5 x 600m
    Warm up 4.5km approximately
    20 minutes stretches, drills & strides
    Intervals;
    1) 609m in 1.54, 3.07/km
    2) 624m in 1.57, 3.09/km
    3) 615m in 1.54, 3.05/km
    4) 621m in 1.55, 3.06/km
    5) 619m in 1.53, 3.03/km
    Total; 3.09km in 9.35, Average; 3.06/km
    With a race planned on Sunday, I thought it would be timely to do some intervals. I didn't want them to be too long and consulted my training log from last year to see what I had done before the Limerick Duathlon 12 months ago. I was very happy to see it was only five 600m reps, as I don't feel like my body is ready for or willing to do any serious speed sessions just yet. I went to the path round Playing Fields in The Park with its conveniently marked out 100m intervals. To make things as easy as possible, I ran 3 out of the 5 intervals with the wind at my back. They were only short, so I went all out hard from the off and managed to maintain and even increase the effort with each interval. I swung my arms forcibly trying to get as much drive from this motion as I could. I was happy with the splits I was posting and this served to keep me focused.

4.5km cool down

Total; 1.5hrs - 16km

I went into town to meet Dory Dory and a few other boardsies after this. Good to meet everybody and put some faces to names.

Wednesday 18th February
    Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    400m warm up with pull buoy
    16*200m off 4.00 with extra 60 seconds rest between each set of 4*200
    1-4) 3.42 avg.
    5-8) 3.37 avg.
    9-12) 3.34 avg.
    13-16) 3.40 avg.
    This felt like a good use of time, I concentrated on form rather than working hard to do fast times. I focussed on thumb brushing off thigh throughout the session. Kurt had given me earful about how my newly adopted approach to swimming might not be the best approach to take, He cautioned that I might be reinforcing bad stroke with my big increase in volume.
    200 cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs - 3,800m

Run
    The plan starting out was 2 hours or, All slow, slow, slow.
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 20.43km

Thursday 19th February

Swim
    100m warm up
    100m full stroke underwater
    6*25m build,
    6*25m as 12.5 sprint & 12.5 easy
    6*25m as 8 strokes fast & 8 easy
    2 x (6*25m push off, 6 strokes fast, 10 stokes easy, finishing off length fast)
    6*25m sprint
    650m as 50 fast & 50 easy
    200m fast (3.11)
    100m fast, 50m fast; 25m sprint, 25m sprint
    100m back stroke
    100m fast, 50m fast, 25m fast, 12.5m sprint/12.5m easy
    100m back stroke
    75m fast; 50m fast; 25m fast, 12.5m sprint/12.5m easy
    75m cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 2,700m

p.m.
    Peter's early morning swim was all I did for the day. I'd planned on taking it easy Friday and Saturday in advance of the duathlon on Sunday. Chlorine sometimes wreaks havoc with my sinuses and today was one of those days. I was suffering from a runny nose and feeling the onset of a cold all day. I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to get out and train in the evening, and began the two day taper 12 hours early.

Friday 20th February
    a.m.
    I decided to extend yesterday evening's rest and took the morning off.

p.m.
    Cycle
    Turbo; 1 hour 5 minutes
    15 minutes warm up,
    10 seconds flat out & 50 seconds easy,
    20 seconds flat out & 40 seconds easy,
    30 seconds flat out & 30 seconds easy,
    40 seconds flat out & 20 seconds easy,
    50 seconds flat out & 10 seconds easy,
    60 seconds flat out & 10 seconds easy,
    15 minutes steady
    60 seconds flat out & 10 seconds easy,
    15 minutes steady

I wasn't really sure what to do coming home from work, but I whatever it was, I wanted it to include a bit of speed work. My flatmate had a few A4 sheets with turbo sessions lying on the kitchen table, so I had a look at those and adapted one of them, which is what you see above.

Totals; 1.0hrs - 31.5km

Swim

200 warm up,
    5 sets of {3*100m off 1.35 & 200m active recovery} with approximately 90 seconds rest between sets
    3*50m off 60 seconds (coming in on 50)
    Totals; 1.0hrs - 2,850m

Run
    Like Monday I ran to and from the swim session.
    Totals; 1.0hrs - 11.5km

Saturday 21st February
    Instead of my usual trip to the NAC, I went out to Base2Race for swim analysis. With two different swim coaches already, I'm hoping it's not a case of too many cooks. But I felt the underwater footage would be useful and it did show up some flaws in my stroke. Feedback was thus; My timing, though slow, is generally alright, but way off when I breath. After taking a breath, I don't rotate back far enough into the water before I begin my catch and as a result I drop my elbow and don't get any purchase on the water. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this very well, but I understand it in my own head. Also my legs and arms aren't in sync. I knew this already, but I got a better understanding of what 2, 4, and 6 beat kicking is about. I was given drills to practise, which hopefully I'll find room to do in an already busy schedule.

I'm not sure if it's entirely accurate to log this as a 90 minute session, as I wasn't swimming for the full time, I gave up an hour and a half of my training week for this, so I'll log it as that. I was swimming in an endless pool, and I've no record of the distance, but I'd estimate it as being 1,000m.

Totals; 1.5hrs - 1,000m

Run

7.5km with 6 x 100m strides
    I didn't bring my Garmin with, so the above are just estimates. I wanted to be fresh for the duathlon tomorrow and except for the strides it was all done at a nice easy pace.
    Totals; 0.5hrs – 7.5km

Sunday 22nd February
    Limerick Duathlon

Run 1: 11.23
    T1: 00.56
    Cycle: 22.20
    T2: 00.49
    Run 2: 11.52
    Total; 47.22

Totals;
    Bike; 0.5hrs - 14km
    Run; 0.5hrs - 7.2

Weekly Totals;
    Swim; 8.0hrs – 16,700m
    Cycle; 5.5hrs – 145.50km
    Run; 6.5hrs – 75,13km

I'd the week off work, so training was that bit easier, but getting a good night's sleep every single night was the biggest bonus.

Very cool you had a swim analysis done. And even cooler that I was at Base2Race on the Tuesday you and I met up, and I had the guys show me the pool where the swim analysis is done. :)

First I have to ask, how did you like swimming in an endless pool? What was your take on it? And second, regarding your breathing, does that mean you might rotate your head too much out of the water to take your breath?

Nice folks at Base2Race, and they had some pretty cool gear that I couldn't live without. :)

Oh, and.....is the race report in the hopper? ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    First I have to ask, how did you like swimming in an endless pool? What was your take on it? And second, regarding your breathing, does that mean you might rotate your head too much out of the water to take your breath?

It was the first time I'd ever swam in an endless pool. It was strange. I won't be, but I think it could be good to swim in one regularly. I found my body snaking a lot. Any lateral movement from my waist down was exposed and it took extra effort to get back on a straight path. At least that's what it felt like. The endless pool rewarded an efficient stroke, whereas poor technique was punished on the double.
    As regards breathing, I do think turning too much is the root cause of the problem. I've spent some sessions since concentrating on this very thing, which unfortunately means I stop concentrating on something else. The way I breathe is probably so well ingrained at this stage that it might take another winter of dedicated swimming to get more efficient at it.
    Oh, and.....is the race report in the hopper? ;)

I don't ever remember hearing that phrase before, but yes, the report 'is in the hopper'. It's actually typed up and ready to post. But first things first, I wanted to post the week's training that preceded the race, before I posted the report.

Because I had done this race 12 months ago off a very different block of training, I was keen to go back and see how I would fare this year. There's a minimum of fuss for me in getting to Limerick. Thanks to the M7, leaving from my home in Roscrea, I can be there in 45 minutes. I often have to spend longer driving to some seas swims in Dublin, so even though it's not exactly on my doorstep, it's about one of the easiest races on the calendar for me to get to.

I came 3rd here last year and was hoping the two guys who finished ahead of me would be back. Seeing how I fared against them, would be a much better reflection of where I am at, than comparing my times between last year and now. I doubt the other two had been sitting on their arses ever since, but having podiumed here last year off a winter of no cycling, I considered a win might be possible and drove down to Limerick in hopeful mood. As it turned out, neither of them showed up. But I bumped into Stephen Delaney, my former club cycling coach and now the National Development Coach for Triathlon Ireland, who informed me that both Aaron O' Brien and Darren Dunne would be racing.

As soon as I heard the former's name, I knew any chances of me winning here today were very, very slim. And Darren Dunne, though still a junior has enormous talent. At a sprint tri last year he out-split me by 46 seconds over the 5km run. I probably wouldn't be as fast now as I was then. So hoping I'd be strong enough to pass a 17 year old on the bike, I was still going to have my work cut out to finish ahead of him. Stephen said that without their swims, it might be closer than I thought, between the three of us. I was dubious, but it was nice to hear all the same.

Run 1 - 11.24
    I took up position at the front of the starters once the MC announced the race was about to begin. I didn't expect to be first back into T1, but my strategy was to go out hard and see what happened. I set off as fast as I could and was in the lead for a short bit. As soon as we hit the first uphill section, four others went by me at a pace I couldn't match and opened up a bit of a gap. Luckily the uphill stretch didn't last long and once the road levelled out, I found the pace more manageable. I'd lost contact with the two leaders, but was still within striking distance of the other two who had passed me. We got to the turnaround cone, which due to the rain had been brought in. Usually a reduced run wouldn't suit me, but because of who I was up against to day it did and I was happy to see the cone positioned where it was.

A fifth runner who had just turned a split second after me injected a bit of pace and got away from me. He was a lot lighter than I was and I was hoping this meant I'd be stronger on the bike. Brian Campion was still ahead of me at this point. He had the cut of strong bike though, and I didn't want to let him get away. I caught and overtook him, but never lost him. I finished the run in 4th position with Brian Campion only 1 second behind me.

T1 - 0.56
    I forgot to bring rubber bands and didn't bother leaving my shoes clipped into my pedals. This cost me a bit of time, but even allowing for that, I was desperately slow, 67th fastest overall. Transitions are something I really need to spend more time practicing. It's embarrassing that I've been in the sport a good few years and I still move like an old granny in transition.

Bike - 22.20
    Despite finishing the run in 4th, after my lengthy transition I started the bike in 6th. I'd a bit of work to do to make up the places I'd lost. The first half out the Kilmallock Road was into a strong headwind. I put the head down and mashed through the highest gear for 90% of this first 7km. I caught the light runner who had dropped me earlier and passed Brian Campion before the halfway point. I saw Aaron O' Brien coming in the opposite direction, and knew that respite from the headwind must have been coming soon.
    I had Darren Dunne and Aichlinn O' Reilly in my sight, but they both made it to the turnaround before me. After turning, the wind became hugely advantageous and I was able to keep it in the biggest gear for the rest of the cycle. I eventually caught Darren Dunne and Aichlinn O' Reilly, but it took longer than I would have liked. I knew Aichlinn had finished behind me on the first run, so I was pretty sure I could finish ahead of him, but Darren Dunne was a different matter and I wanted to put as much time into him on the bike as possible.
    I continued pushing the highest gear I had, but with the wind behind me I could have done with a few more. I'd occasionally check on Aichlinn and Darren with a back ward glance and saw that I wasn't really losing them. I concentrated on holding good form and noticed I was pulling away from them when I did this. This would imply I was sloppy up to this point, but I was trialling a new saddle and I hadn't cycled my TT bike since September. I've plenty of time to readjust to the position and it won't be an issue as the year progresses.
    I was concentrating so hard on good form I was take by surprise when transition came. We had to cycle up a hill to finish off the cycle leg and I didn't have time to get my feet out of my shoes.
    The result sheet gives me the quickest bike split, but Aaron O' Brien wasn't wearing a chip, so I can't be sure if I out-split him.
    I should also state that he, Darren Dunne and Aichlinn O' Reilly were on road bikes. Aichlinn in all likelihood would have beaten me had he been on a TT bike, but I didn't break any rules. He was free to use a TT bike as well, but for whatever reason, he went with a road bike, it was his decision and his alone.

T2 - 0.49
    Another horrendous showing. 49 seconds, 61st overall and Aichlinn had gotten out and started the run before me. As I was running out, I saw Darren Dunne racking his bike. 'F*ck' is all I thought and knew unless something disastrous happened him, he wouldn't be long catching me on the run.

Run 2 - 11.52
    I got out before Darren, but he was on my shoulder in no time. At the first incline, he attacked and opened up a sizeable gap. Soon enough Darren had passed Aichlinn as well, and it was left for me and the latter to battle it out for the final podium position. It was proving harder than I had expected to catch him and he was still leading after 3km. I was starting to doubt if I'd manage to pass him before the finish line. I was running out of road and told myself to push hard to get by and maybe this would break him. I dug deep and managed to pass before the downhill stretch just before the Kilmallock Road. I think I do alright running downhill and was confident I'd be 3rd. I hadn't broken him though, and I could hear him making a move to overtake on the downhill. I dug deep again and manger to hold him off. The road swept up again and I wasn't quiet sure how well he ran uphill. I emptied the tank and just went for it from here. A of athletes were starting their run as we were finishing and there were a lot of bodies on the road. I had a good few glances over my shoulder and though I could hear him, I couldn't see him. I was worried he might just pip me at the line, but one last push and a final glance over my shoulder told me I'd hold on.

Total Time - 47.22

I was happy to finish in 3rd. I managed 3rd last year as well, but I had to work a lot harder for it this year, so from that point of view it's more satisfying. Overall I was 1 minute 23 seconds faster and 2 minutes 37 seconds quicker on the bike. So those are positives, but my run isn't quiet where I'd like it to be. I was left for dead on any bit of an incline. Last year I felt my run was the strongest card I had to play, this certainly wasn't the case down in Limerick. It was worrying me more a week ago than it is now. But then I have to remember two of the runners dropping me are two of Ireland's most promising young triathletes. Their focus is on shorter races, whereas mine is long. For an old man like me I was probably out of my depth. Also I'm a few kilos above racing weight. I'm eating too much junk food right now, but I know when race season kicks in and the pressure comes on I'll have no problem trimming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Great report, v enjoyable read. Well done again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Peter's early morning swim was all I did for the day. I'd planned on taking it easy Friday and Saturday in advance of the duathlon on Sunday. Chlorine sometimes wreaks havoc with my sinuses and today was one of those days. I was suffering from a runny nose and feeling the onset of a cold all day. I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to get out and train in the evening, and began the two day taper 12 hours early.

I've posted this before.........

I used to have the same problem. It's mostly been eliminated by swimming in a low chlorine pool but what I used to do and still do after I swim in a 'high' chlorine pool is that I use a plastic ballgown bottle or similar to **gently** squirt clean water up each nostril to wash out my nose - tilt your head back and you will feel the water running from your nose to the back of your throat - it takes some getting used to. If you do it too hard you'll blow your ears off!! Once I have cleaned my nostrils using water I squirt some flixonase up each one. Doing this virtually eliminated my sinus problems at a time when if the chlorine levels in the pool were bad I'd end up being in bits for 2-3 days after a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive the same issue with chlorine and detest the nose plug but have to use it so i might look into this potential solution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Try neilmed sinus rinse...it's just a saline solution to mix with the water...just water will burn the nostrils off ye!!!

Monday 23rd February
    a.m.

Nothing
    p.m.
    Cycle
    1 hour turbo, easy spinning
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 25km

Run
    I ran to and from swimming. This is almost as quick as driving, and it’s an ideal opportunity to get some easy miles in. It gives me extra time to rest on evenings when I have a late swim. It makes sense to run instead of drive. So unless I’m feeling drained, I think it’s something I’ll incorporate into my weekly routine from now on.
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 12.5km

Swim
    800m warm up
    5 sets of 4*100m off 1.40 (with 90 seconds rest between sets)
    My legs were still feeling the effects of the race on Sunday, so I was looking to take things easy tonight. I made sure I wasn’t leading out the lane, and so as to give my legs a break, I used a pull buoy for the second and fourth sets. This made it much easier for me than the guy I was drafting off, but I still wasn’t going to volunteer to lead out and backed off whenever I tipped his toes. The two out front were working hard to make the times and the coach gave us an easy 100m as active recovery between sets 4 and 5. I didn’t really need this, but then unlike them, I had been using a pull buoy and I was also getting the benefit of a draft for 1,600m.
    50m cool down
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,950m

Tuesday 24th February

a.m.
    Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    400m warm up
    8*400m off 7.40
    This wasn’t as easy as it looked on paper. I went in with the wrong attitude and never really got in the zone. I changed lanes after the fourth 100 and took an extra 60 seconds rest.
    200m easy
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,800m

p.m.
    Cycle
    Turbo; Big gear work
    20 minutes warm up
    12 x {4.00 biggest gear, 4.00 recovery}
    4.00 cool down
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 60.00km

Wednesday 25th February
    a.m.
    Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    400m pull
    4*100m off 2.10
    6 sets of {4*50m off 55 seconds & 100m off 2.40}
    I took no rest between sets and was holding between 48-50 seconds for the 50s
    200m pull
    4*100m off 1.50 (I was getting between 7-10 seconds rest)
    400m cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,600m

p.m.
    Cycle
    Turbo, 1 hour easy
    I only did this as a precursor to a run off the bike.
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 25.0km

Run
    I took too long to get out the door and it wasn’t a proper run off the bike. I kept the pace at aerobic effort. My Garmin tells me my pace was 4.45/km, but I’m not sure of its accuracy on this occasion.
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 11.12/km

Thursday 26th February

a.m.
    Swim
    Coached session with no coach, 25m pool
    Peter was off on a training week, but emailed us the session. There were a lot of TTs in it, so it was a session the group could do ourselves.
    440m warm up
    400m TT (6.15)
    In the email the coach sent, he specifically told me to attack the first 50m. This is what I did and after touching and pushing off the wall, a quick glance back at the pool clock told me I’d done the first 50 in 40/41 seconds. I tried to get the effort back under control on the 3rd and 4th lengths and attacked again between 100-150m, 200-275m, 300-400m. I don’t do 400m TTs a lot and was happy to finish with a 9 second improvement on my previous PB.
    100m easy in wetsuit
    400m TT in wetsuit (6.05)
    As everybody knows swimming in a wetsuit is far different. But being only 10 seconds faster it wasn’t as big as an advantage for me as for most of the other people in the group. I was tired from the first TT, but I found my range of motion far more restricted in the wetsuit. I just don’t have the power in my shoulders to overcome this.
    100m easy
    400m TT with paddles and pull buoy (6.20)
    I badly messed up my first two turns and never got into the right mental zone. I was thinking ahead to the 100m all-out effort that was to follow and wasn’t properly focussed for this. A poor time whatever way I look at it.
    100m easy
    100m all out (1.26)
    I tried as hard as I could, but I still think I should have a few more seconds in me.
    800m super easy
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 2,800m

p.m.
    Run
    Warm up; 11.31km in 53.39, 4.46/km
    Interval 1; 5.22km in 20.04, 3.50/km
    Recovery; 2.59km in 13.54, 5.22/km
    Interval 2; 5.25km in 19.40, 3.44/km
    Cool down; 3.69km in 20.11, 5.27/km
    Total; 28.07km in 2.07.49
    I wasn’t 100% sure what to do heading out the door. Between one thing and another it was after 7.30 when I started this run. I hadn’t done a long run yet this week, but I hadn’t done any speed work either. Somewhere over the first 10km, I decided I could incorporate both by doing a long tempo run.
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 28.07km

Friday 27th February

a.m.
    Nothing
    p.m.
    Cycle
    1 hour easy turbo
    Totals; 1.0hrs - 25km

Swim
    Coached session 25m pool
    400m warm up
    12*100m off 1.50, descending 1-4, 5-8 & 9-12
    My times were falling from 1.45-1.35 approximately
    4 sets of {3*100 off 1.40} 60 seconds rest between sets
    A few days have passed since I’m typing this and my scribbled notes aren’t very clear. I’m a bit iffy on what we did exactly, but this is my best guess)
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,800m

Run
    Run to and from swim
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 12.5km

Saturday 28th February

Run
    Easy run with 10 x 100m strides
    14.80km in 1.18.12, 5.16/km
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 14.80km

I was away on a social engagement soon after finishing this run, and didn’t have time for anything else today.

Sunday 1st March
    Cycle
    2 hours easy turbo
    The social engagement from yesterday had a knock on effect today. By the time I was in the mood for any training, the rugby match between Ireland and England. I wanted to watch that, so I waited a while longer before beginning anything. Then when I finished the turbo, the inclement weather made going outside for a run none too appealing.
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 50km

Weekly Totals;
    Swim; 6.5hrs – 15,950m
    Bike; 7.0hrs – 185.0km
    Run; 6.5hrs – 89.49km
    S & C; 0.0hrs

No strength and conditioning work this week, which is not something I wanted to happen when I started the log. I’m not making much use of my weekends either. I do well up to bedtime on Friday and the things go to pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So this is what a PRO log looks like...

Happy with the swim progress form the volume you are putting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Was just thinking the same!

If only...
    Happy with the swim progress form the volume you are putting in?

It'd be great to be to be as fast as you or Kurt, but 18 months ago I posted this, so that's considerable progress in my eyes. It didn't come easy though. I don't know how long it took you to get to the level you're at, but I know it didn't just happen. It's just going to take longer for it to happen me than it did you. Last year and even previous to that, I was frustrated by how hard the gains were, how other people could swim so much faster than me, off seemingly much less volumes. But then I'm not you and I'm not anybody else. I've accepted I'll advance at my own rate.
    I'll always be behind the lead swimmers in any race I do, but I'm confident this year the gap will be less than last. I'll also be fresher for the bike. It's those two things, more so than quicker times, that motivate me and keep me going with the high volume approach.

I was reading about your training/suffering in Manila, with the locals laughing at the crazy whiteman. It reminded me very much of the time I spent in Thailand. Where incidentally I'm going back to for three weeks this summer for a spot of warm weather training. So I'll be reaquainted with intense heat, overbearing humidity, and bemused Asians soon enough.

I’m a bit behind on this, so I’ll try to keep commentary to a minimum until I’m up to speed. It’s generally the nonsense that’s rattling around my head (‘lose weight, run faster, cycle more, concentrate in the water, go to bed earlier’) week upon week anyway, so the blog won’t be missing much.

Monday 2nd March
    a.m.

Nothing

p.m.
    Cycle
    1 hour turbo with 10 minute, 8 minute, 6 minute, 4 minute & 2 minute efforts
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 31.05km

Run
    I ran to and from swimming.
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 11.5km

Swim
    400m warm up
    6 sets of {3*100m off 1.40 & 100m easy}
    75m cool down
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,875m

Tuesday 3rd March
    a.m.

Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    400m warm up
    4 sets of {6*100m off 1.50} 90 seconds rest between sets
    I did every second set with a pull buoy and I was coming in on 1.40 approximately
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,900m

p.m.
    S & C
    A rarity but … 1 hour core work and some foam rolling

Cycle
    2 hour turbo, moderate effort
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 55km

Wednesday 4th March

a.m.
    Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    400m warm up
    8*50m off 65 seconds, descending 1-4 & 5-8 (55-47 seconds approximately)
    3*800m off 14.50 (14.30, 14.19*, 14.23)
    *I got to draft a club mate, who just happened to be doing his own thing in the lane, for 250m of this.
    600m super easy
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,800m

p.m.

Run
    24.01km in 1.57.57, 4.54/km
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 24.01km

Thursday 5th March
    a.m.

Swim
    This was as much a Q & A session with Peter as it was a training session. Details of what we did aren’t really important.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 2,800m

p.m.
    I did nothing in the evening. My club were cycling to Carlow over the weekend and it was recommended we get our bikes serviced in advance of that. I decided to do a DIY job, and it turns out I’m not very mechanically adept. This took a lot longer than I had planned and ate into my training time. It put me in a bad mood as well and I didn’t feel like training when I finished.

Friday 6th March
    a.m.

Nothing

p.m.
    Cycle
    I cycled to Carlow after school. I went by the N81 and was cycling into a headwind all day. My club mates had taken the day off work and left in the morning, so I had nobody to shelter behind at any stage. I spent 2 hours cycling in the dark, but apart from that it was pretty uneventful. Dinner was ready for me when I arrived and I made it to the bar with plenty of time to spare, which was the main reason for my solo cycle down
    Totals; 4.5hrs – 95.23km

Saturday 7th March

Swim
    Easy drills under the supervision of a club coach, mix of sculling and balance drills.
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 1,000m

Sunday 8th March

Cycle
    I made the return trip to Dublin in the company of 8 others. We cycled over the Wicklow Mountains taking in some of the climbs there. It’s my first time down there since last September and I found it tough at times.
    Totals; 5.0hrs – 118.48km

Weekly Totals;
    Swim; 6.0hrs – 13,375m
    Bike; 12.5hrs – 299.76km
    Run; 3.0hrs – 35.51km
    S & C; 1.0hrs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It's just going to take longer for it to happen me than it did you. Last year and even previous to that, I was frustrated by how hard the gains were, how other people could swim so much faster than me, off seemingly much less volumes. But then I'm not you and I'm not anybody else. I've accepted I'll advance at my own rate.
    I'll always be behind the lead swimmers in any race I do, but I'm confident this year the gap will be less than last. I'll also be fresher for the bike. It's those two things, more so than quicker times, that motivate me and keep me going with the high volume approach.

not just you. both your progress and your mentality are close to mine where the swim is concerned. same effort required for me, every second gained is well earned.

Thursday 26th February[/B]
    a.m.

Swim
    Coached session with no coach, 25m pool
    Peter was off on a training week, but emailed us the session. There were a lot of TTs in it, so it was a session the group could do ourselves.
    440m warm up
    400m TT (6.15)
    In the email the coach sent, he specifically told me to attack the first 50m. This is what I did and after touching and pushing off the wall, a quick glance back at the pool clock told me I’d done the first 50 in 40/41 seconds. I tried to get the effort back under control on the 3rd and 4th lengths and attacked again between 100-150m, 200-275m, 300-400m. I don’t do 400m TTs a lot and was happy to finish with a 9 second improvement on my previous PB.
    100m easy in wetsuit
    400m TT in wetsuit (6.05)
    As everybody knows swimming in a wetsuit is far different. But being only 10 seconds faster it wasn’t as big as an advantage for me as for most of the other people in the group. I was tired from the first TT, but I found my range of motion far more restricted in the wetsuit. I just don’t have the power in my shoulders to overcome this.
    100m easy
    400m TT with paddles and pull buoy (6.20)
    I badly messed up my first two turns and never got into the right mental zone. I was thinking ahead to the 100m all-out effort that was to follow and wasn’t properly focussed for this. A poor time whatever way I look at it.
    100m easy
    100m all out (1.26)
    I tried as hard as I could, but I still think I should have a few more seconds in me.
    800m super easy
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 2,800m

Was there any feedback on the results of your 3 x 400 TTs? Was anything learned by this exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Also if you feel restricted in the wetsuit is the wetsuit right for you?

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Also if you feel restricted in the wetsuit is the wetsuit right for you?

Or, when was the last time you wore it?? If it's been stored for a while, maybe it needs "breaking-in" again. ?? Of course, your body shape may be different from the last time you wore it too. ;)

Advertisement