Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2013, 10:45   #331
inc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefer View Post
I bought a couple of these for my mam and upgraded to firmware v3.8 via usb

Everytime I go to the house now, she says that the box keeps freezing and she has to pull the plug to get it back on again. She says it might happen 2 or 3 times in an evening. I have a feeling it might be because she is flicking through the remote too quickly and have told her to slow down with it but the last time I was there, she says it happened even with going through menu's slowly

Anyone ever seen this or know a fix?
Are they using this box for recording?

I find on my box it freezes a lot when I use EPG to record. So to avoid freezing I set up timers instead and that seems to work well.
Advertisement
18-09-2013, 12:26   #332
zefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc21 View Post
Are they using this box for recording?

I find on my box it freezes a lot when I use EPG to record. So to avoid freezing I set up timers instead and that seems to work well.
Nope, apparently its just flicking through the channels that causes it..

I showed her how to use timers and that seems to work fine
18-09-2013, 18:41   #333
inc21

Quote:
Nope, apparently its just flicking through the channels that causes it..

I showed her how to use timers and that seems to work fine
channel change issue has been mentioned here alright and to be honest box is a bit sluggish at times (i am on 3.8).
20-09-2013, 15:45   #334
BurnsCarpenter

Quote:
I bought a couple of these for my mam and upgraded to firmware v3.8 via usb

Everytime I go to the house now, she says that the box keeps freezing and she has to pull the plug to get it back on again. She says it might happen 2 or 3 times in an evening. I have a feeling it might be because she is flicking through the remote too quickly and have told her to slow down with it but the last time I was there, she says it happened even with going through menu's slowly

Anyone ever seen this or know a fix?
Yep, mine was freezing up regularly as well. Brought it back to the shop and worked like a charm when yer man tested it. Brought it home again and same problems. Eventually realised that it was the external drive causing it. Hard drive plugged out, works fine. Hard drive plugged in, freezes up.

I originally bought a hard drive specifically for it, and the Walker wouldn't even recognise it. So I tried a different drive and it worked ok. Well, reasonably ok. Around half of all timed recordings failed. But then, the freezing started. At this stage I'm just going to give up on the recording functionality.

This device seems to have major problems with hard drives (reported by others also).
14-10-2013, 18:37   #335
FatBeard

I see saorview are broadcasting the 3.8 upgrade again. I wonder is it the same 3.8 or possibly a 3.8.1 but not reported correctly on the site?

http://is.gd/FyzRQL
Advertisement
15-10-2013, 14:27   #336
Avenger GT

Has anyone had a problem with the volume control of these boxes not working properly on BBC, ITV, & CH4 HD transmissions. It operates like a switch, i.e. going from zero volume to maximum volume on the first segment of the volume graphic. It works normally on Russia Today and NHK HD channels and on all non HD channels.
20-10-2013, 15:00   #337
FatBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBeard View Post
I see saorview are broadcasting the 3.8 upgrade again. I wonder is it the same 3.8 or possibly a 3.8.1 but not reported correctly on the site?

http://is.gd/FyzRQL

Had to downgrade to 3.3 before it would update over the air. Bit turns out it's the same 3.8. Unfortunate considering the box does all I want it to but the bugs make it unusable.

Gonna try dropping the hard drive in favour of USB flash to see will it solve problem.
20-10-2013, 16:04   #338
elsie1b

Quote:
Had to downgrade to 3.3 before it would update over the air. Bit turns out it's the same 3.8. Unfortunate considering the box does all I want it to but the bugs make it unusable.

Gonna try dropping the hard drive in favour of USB flash to see will it solve problem.
Begs the question how a box so riddled with bugs in many software updates could have passed saorview approval process ?
21-10-2013, 08:32   #339
FatBeard

Ya. That thought had crossed my mind. One of the reasons I thought this firmware broadcast would sort my problems. They need to get better
Advertisement
21-10-2013, 12:31   #340
steveon

I'm amazed they haven't done anything with the firmware in quite some time as its been version 3.8 for months.
21-10-2013, 12:50   #341
FatBeard

Ya, I know, hopefully there will be an update soon. Anyone try finding a firmware for the Vestel TS7100. I believe it's the same box?
21-10-2013, 12:54   #342
steveon

Quote:
Ya, I know, hopefully there will be an update soon. Anyone try finding a firmware for the Vestel TS7100. I believe it's the same box?
The Walker, Normende 4life and finlux boxes and probably countless other names are all made by Vestel....so it probably is the same box...I think they own the Normende name as well themselves but could be wrong...
21-10-2013, 13:36   #343
Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger GT View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the volume control of these boxes not working properly on BBC, ITV, & CH4 HD transmissions. It operates like a switch, i.e. going from zero volume to maximum volume on the first segment of the volume graphic.
I tried one of these boxes for this - volume seemed to behave OK on those HD channels. This trying both audio on HDMI and SCART.
Are you using the S/PDIF optical digital audio output? (I couldn't try that)

Quote:
It works normally on Russia Today and NHK HD channels
The audio on them is the same as SD channels - MP2.
SD-only FTA satellite receivers I have can tune them in and play the sound without picture (A Lidl one I have puts HD TV channels in the Radio list), whilst no sound as well as no picture on BBC etc HD channels.

Last edited by Antenna; 21-10-2013 at 18:35.
21-10-2013, 22:12   #344
dkane

I'm looking for a combo box preferably Saorview approved and 7-day EPG on Satellite.
With those requirements in mind is the WP645TS-HD the best receiver available?

Would you recommend this box or an alternative?
21-10-2013, 22:48   #345
The Cush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
I'm looking for a combo box preferably Saorview approved and 7-day EPG on Satellite.
With those requirements in mind is the WP645TS-HD the best receiver available?

Would you recommend this box or an alternative?
I think the Walker you mention is the only one that meets your requirements.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion