Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Longford Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers Krusty - good to know. Theres a decent hill in lucan I will stick onto the end of my long runs.
    Ah no, I don't mean to give the wrong impression. This is a tiny hill. It's just that it comes at the 24 mile mark, when running over speed-bumps feels like an impossible climb. So don't be adding decent hills to your training, just because I struggle dover a railway bridge! Nobody else has mentioned it, so it might have been just me who struggled over it.

On the toilets issue: I wasn't there in 2009, but I did use one in the square in 2008 before the event and it was clean. Just saying that marathoners have funny diets leading up to the race, and are eager to release any last minute weight and pressure. As such, most pre-marathon portaloos tend to be pretty gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

As a dad of three boys (5, 3 & six months) I can say that it is not too difficult to balance the lot. Balance being the key word. As a first time parent you will find the first six months unreal but it does pass, you might think you felt tired before but this is the real deal. (and yes it all worth it, every bit).

In many ways the running will help you even out the ups and downs as it is great de-stresser. You must take into account your other half's feelings on this. They may well have an opinion on you heading out for a 'bit of time to yourself' more so if they are at home looking after the baby all day. You get home, get the shoes and are gone (not good). It would be better to run before or straight after work or later in the evening so as not to break up family time.

On the other hand you might be encouraged to go for a run (AKA get out of my hair, you are driving me nuts!!). It all depends on your relationship. I am taking this all from the male perspective of course!

My wife is also a runner, so later (if yours is also) after six months or so you may find yourself having to give up some of the run time to let her have some de-stress time too. This can be hard if you are in the run up to Dublin. My advice, there is always a marathon on somewhere at sometime, so if you have to pass do so. You get one chance at relationship.

Oh, romantic weekends in European cites and marathons DO NOT MIX! even if it is Paris. There is no romance in standing around all day and then spending the night listening to groans! NONE I TELL YOU.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Ah no, I don't mean to give the wrong impression. This is a tiny hill. It's just that it comes at the 24 mile mark, when running over speed-bumps feels like an impossible climb.

ahh I see. Grand. Like that little one over the canal at the end of the DCM. Seems vertical at 23 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

I'm in .... aside from Dublin my favourite marathon (Connemara doesn't count 'cos I do the Ultra :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

So how is everyones training coming along.

I've following the Hal Higdon novice 2 and did a 5 mile race last night. I did a sub 45min and was very happy with it.

I got orthotics last week and they have really helped. I've done 12 miles so far this week with no pain or discomfort at all !!!!

• Advertisement

So how is everyones training coming along.

I've following the Hal Higdon novice 2 and did a 5 mile race last night. I did a sub 45min and was very happy with it.

I got orthotics last week and they have really helped. I've done 12 miles so far this week with no pain or discomfort at all !!!!

Good stuff Elvis!

The HH program works for a lot of people - hope it's just as good for you.
    Keeps the miles gradually increasing and you'll be as right as rain. Did a good long run myself on Sunday last and have been tryng to recover ever since. That's the way it goes I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi guys after talking with the other mods I've decided to have a trial run of an idea. The idea is simply to find the quality races.
    So I'm hoping to add a poll to each race but will see how it develops in this thread first.
    The poll is just a way to rate your experience of the race, this will hopefully give good feedback to both the runner and organisers.
    I would also hope to have a specific thread for each race year after year, so there would be no more starting a thread for the Longford 2011 race for example, you just update this thread instead.
    Feedback is always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

So, I've just signed up for Longford, this will be my 3rd marathon. New training plan starts tonight. I ran the Wexford half 3 weeks ago, so I already have a base to start with.

Good idea about the poll, will look forward to registering my opinion on 30th August!!

Does anybody know if there were any energy drinks at the water stops in last year's marathon? And If there were, can anyone remember which type of drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Whatever it was it was diluted and pretty weak. Might even have been sugar and water! Better to be self sufficent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Longford is going to be my first marathon and I am sh!tting myself thinking about it, but looking forward to it too.

I'm at half marathon distance right now and am struggling to get my distances up beyond that... lungs feel OK, but legs (calves & hips) are under enormous pressure.

I um *ahem* wouldnt be the best at following at training plans.:rolleyes:

Cheers
    Muppet Man

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Whatever it was it was diluted and pretty weak. Might even have been sugar and water! Better to be self sufficent.

Thanks for the help.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Longford is going to be my first marathon and I am sh!tting myself thinking about it, but looking forward to it too.

I'm at half marathon distance right now and am struggling to get my distances up beyond that... lungs feel OK, but legs (calves & hips) are under enormous pressure.

Cheers
    Muppet Man

Good stuff, this will be my 3rd marathon but I'm at the same stage as you. My long run last Sunday was 14 miles. Anyway we still have over 10 weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's not too late to start. Even if you followed a 'vague' plan, it might help, e.g. followed the long run strategy on a Sunday, from something like HalHigdon's plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Cheers
    Muppet Man

Have you tried strength training Muppet Man? Doesnt have to be anything heavy, just some functional stuff like squats, lunges, deadlifts. You can go light enough with the weight, its all about activating the muscles you'll use when running. Makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've checked the Longford site and they don't give any info on the half marathon course. Do anyone have any info on this? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

chinguetti wrote: »
    I've checked the Longford site and they don't give any info on the half marathon course. Do anyone have any info on this? Thanks

It has been a circuit of the town with the marathoners. Then out the main road, turn and back into town. Would be an slight uphill finish when you come back into town but main road is flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

I am just back training and do intend to run 4h pace with a group.

I did my first session today and did 22km with a good bit of walking today toward the end...... was also very hot.

But you do have time if you have a bit of experience in running to be honest.

Longford Always has been what I called the old 5 grand schleme : Belfast, Dublin, Connemara, Longford, Cork.

I know there is more out there but they are the kind of "old gang" Marathon that you have to do. They were the first to take the risk to organise one :P

tunguska wrote: »
    Have you tried strength training Muppet Man? Doesnt have to be anything heavy, just some functional stuff like squats, lunges, deadlifts. You can go light enough with the weight, its all about activating the muscles you'll use when running. Makes a huge difference.

Thanks Tunguska, would you have a URL that you could recommend for muscle training/exercises - I can definitely see the benefit in doing this. In particular my calf muscles felt like they were getting really tight at the half marathon point.

Thanks...
    Muppet Man

The exercises in this video are a good starting point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvY3wIZt6ZQ

Cheers,

Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Went to book a room in the longford arms and there is no rooms left. Didnt book my room till 4 weeks before last year. Filled up nice and early this year:-(
    Might look at galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Went to book a room in the longford arms and there is no rooms left. Didnt book my room till 4 weeks before last year. Filled up nice and early this year:-(
    Might look at galway.

Try the annaly over the road.

No joy there either:-(

Hire a mobile home, rent out some beds and park it on grass verge on the longford by-pass. It wouldnt look too out place :rolleyes:

j/k, relax....

Muppet man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Accommodation certainly seems tight in Longford, especially at marathon time. A couple of years ago I arrived at the Annally and they had no note of my advance booking. Ended up a fair few miles down the road in a B&B :(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

You can pick up your number on the day of race itself which kicks off at 11. Its only 1:45 drive from Dublin on the N4 , so driving down on the day of the race would be a viable option for many.

There are loads of rooms in the longford arms. They have not got them on the website. Silly but there you go:-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    There are loads of rooms in the longford arms. They have not got them on the website. Silly but there you go:-)

Yeah I just sent an enquiry on their site so hopefully I'll get a room. Being a week before Dingle and wanting to do Dingle Ultra I'll probably just race the half in Longford, doing the full would be good training for the Ultra the week after though wouldn't it? Go around with Seb and I'd be fine, right? :pac:

Well I just hurt my calf which is annoying..... not good news for the 24hours run in Belfast on august 6.

I should be ok for longford if I don't keep pushing it too hard.

Anyway, we have to do it :-)

• Advertisement

Guys, just for info, I really badly injured my right calf and even can't walk on it (I stupidly kept running on it)........
    :(

so won't be running but will be there on the day.

Anybody want to be the pacer for 4hours ? it would be great !!!

thanks in advance.

Advertisement