Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway City Marathon - anyone know any details?

• 27-02-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

A little birdie this week told me that planning is underway for a Galway City Marathon at the end of August.The website for the Galway 50k race is mysteriously labelled www.galwaycitymarathon.com - it looks like they're going to be holding an ultra and a full (and maybe a half?) on the same day as the Longford Marathon (29th August).

Does anyone have any insider info on this?

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 17 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0% 0 votes
    4 stars (good)
    0% 0 votes
    3 stars (average)
    11% 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    64% 11 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    23% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Official announcment/launch will be quite soon, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

BJohnson wrote: »
    A little birdie this week told me that planning is underway for a Galway City Marathon at the end of August.The website for the Galway 50k race is mysteriously labelled www.galwaycitymarathon.com - it looks like they're going to be holding an ultra and a full (and maybe a half?) on the same day as the Longford Marathon (29th August).

Does anyone have any insider info on this?
    Same day as longford. Surely there are other days they could have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Same day as longford. Surely there are other days they could have had it.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

It's first and foremost a World championship (50km) race. It also has a Marathon as part of the same event (amongst other things). From what little I know of the process the IAU (The international governing body for ultrarunning), they tend to sort out the calendar by taking into account how all the various championship ultrarunning races slot into the calendar together, which wouldn't include the longford marathon, or any other local race for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

The date is unavoidable, the organisers can't put it on other dates because of conflicts with existing races in the Galway area, other festivals and related accomodation availability in Galway City and their successful application to bring the World 50km Final to Ireland.

With so many Marathons and Half-Marathons on the calendar now (which is great) it must be almost impossible to avoid events occuring on the same dates, sure doesn't the Limerick Marathon clash with the Belfast Marathon and the Cork Marathon clash with the Flora Women's Mini Marathon in Dublin. *If Marathons / Events were a month apart from one another some would say they clash because it doesn't allow sufficient recovery time to do them all. I think it's great news that a top quality Marathon event will be coming to Galway at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

I've been keeping an eye on this one as it would be nice to do a marathon in my home town before my body eventually says enough is enough. As it happens there is a good bit in the media this week about it and I'm told the website goes live later this week but the general bones of it are as follows:

The entry fee for the half-marathon is €45 and the full marathon is €55. There will also be a relay marathon and the world 50km championships on the same day. All entries within the first month will be eligible to win a prize of a trip to the Antarctic Ice Marathon, the southernmost marathon in the world. The course is fast and mainly flat - starting and finishing at Galway Harbour and encompassing all of Galway's main landmark features. It's a two-loop course for the marathon, with full road closures. There will also be a series of road miles in the city centre streets the day before the marathon. The intention is to make the event a quality, signature marathon event and running festival for Galway City, with an emphasis on also having fun. Runner's World magazine, the world's biggest selling running magazine, is evidently going to be a partner of the event, the first such partnership in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Is this from the same event organisers that ran the 10k and half marathon in Galway in October, Moycullen?

At least the prices seem to be coming down, 45 for the half and 55 for the full puts in perspective the outragous 60 euro charge by the organisers to run a 10k charity race there last year

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Is this from the same event organisers that ran the 10k and half marathon in Galway in October, Moycullen?

No but the guys behind this event have organised a lot of different events including the South Pole Marathon, the Celtic 100km race held in Galway last year and loads of different Ultramarathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just had a look at the website.

I really hope it's not an indicator of the overall standard of organistaion. Absolutely no information just a link to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Marathon spelt marthon as well :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Methinks somebody has been reading this thread :cool:

edited...Sure no harm if it means they put accurate info up there. Did I read earlier that there is a half marathon the same day. I had been thinking of the longford half but if this is reasonably flat it will get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The Galway City 50k will be staged on 29 August 2010 and is part of the new Galway City Marathon running festival weekend. The marathon event will involve two loops of the City while 50k participants will run through the marathon finish line and then continue onto a short circuit through the city centre streets.

From here

That's going to be unusual. Not sure how it will work logistically, be interesting to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

About 10 years ago I was a spectator at the Canberra marathon, and they had a 50k going as well, with the same logistics: the 50k runners ran the marathon, went through the finish and then did another loop to make up the rest of the distance. It worked perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Not a bad looking route. Its definitely going on the possible list. Reckon it will take a fair few from Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Not a bad looking route. Its definitely going on the possible list. Reckon it will take a fair few from Longford.

Probably will, which is a shame since Longford is one of the older and more established marathons but lacks the PR buzz of the bigger races.

On teh route, has anyone ever done a biggish marathon with laps? I was looking at a load of races this spring and avoided anything with laps on the assumption that you'd end up running into the tail end of the field if it has any volume of walkers (or run walkers). An awful lot of people ran 6hrs+ in Dublin and they'd all be going through half way in 3hrs and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I have to admit that the chance of being in the draw for an all expenses trip to do the antarctic marathon swung it for me when choosing between Longford and Galway.
    How shallow am I :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

On teh route, has anyone ever done a biggish marathon with laps?

I ran in Benidorm a few years back, and if i can remember correct it was 2 and half laps for the full marathon. The laps didn`t bother me, but everyone has their own view. I`ve signed up for this and looking forward to doing a marathon on the streets i run every day. Plus if the amount of people i`ve seen pounding the pavements in recent months is anything to go by i`d say numbers could be high enough.

I didnnt look at the route..is the galway city marathon laps?:eek:
    Gulp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I didnnt look at the route..is the galway city marathon laps?:eek:
    Gulp.

Yeah it's two loops as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Two laps marathon!!

Course map here

http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/media/i/GCM-RouteMap.pdf

Many interested/doing this??

Am not overly familiary with the streets except for driving- are there any significant hills? Was going to try for a pb at this one , but perhaps with the relay and any major lumps it might not be the best one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Am not overly familiary with the streets except for driving- are there any significant hills? Was going to try for a pb at this one , but perhaps with the relay and any major lumps it might not be the best one?

2 loops for the marathon, a few rolling hills in the first few miles and a drag just after 8mls.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/galway/454127607723698645

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Yes few rough spots no doubt, the 8/21 mile mark hill will be tough as will hill up to Bohermore...not sure if i like the spin out to mutton island if im reading the map right ..mental hell at 24/25 miles...

brutes1 wrote: »
    Yes few rough spots no doubt, the 8/21 mile mark hill will be tough as will hill up to Bohermore...not sure if i like the spin out to mutton island if im reading the map right ..mental hell at 24/25 miles...

Agree about the mutton island jaunt brutes, may have made more since to take it out around the swamp and try and add the remaining few metres that were lost somewhere else. If its a rainy, windy day, that could be brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Was going to run Longford marathon but this is the same date(29th August)so might give this a spin instead. Ive heard Longford can be quite an isolated run, with very little support out on the roads. I know this is the first year of the Galway marathon but I have a feeling it'll be a big deal with good support. Im not crazy about the two lap thing though. Anybody else run a marathon where it was 2 laps(or more)of a course?

Plus the entry fee is a bit steeper in Galway than Longford.

Not sure how many entries they have for the marathon at this stage. Perhaps Tunguska that you may still be in the draw for an all expenses paid trip to do the antarctic marathon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Gulp, this will be my first half and I am very scared at the prospect!! Its seems so long!! It will be lovely to do an event in Galway though. Its such a beautiful city!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Is this the first year of this event?

Will the roads be closed to traffic?

The route looks great, if it's traffic free!

• Advertisement

Is this the first year of this event?

Will the roads be closed to traffic?

The route looks great, if it's traffic free!

Yes, this is the first year. Well, it was held way back in the 80's but its the first year under new management, so to speak!
    I believe that the roads are closed to traffic. Its been put on by Richard & Paul Donovan, who know a thing or two about running. Paul is a former olympian and world silver medalist & Richard is the organiser of the North Pole marathon and holder of many ultra records.

Advertisement