Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Biologists here? Introduce yourself

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

B.Sc. Biotechnology (DCU)

2nd year Ph.D. student in TCD working on protein structure and functionality. Loving it so far. The eternal student :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm not sure if I count, I'm going into 2nd year medicine but I'm working in a Psychiatry lab for the Summer in the area of molecular biology and I really enjoy it! I hope to go into research in the future, though I'm not sure what area yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RP Mc murphy

Allow myself to introduce myself. RP has a background in biotech as well, snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

In the 2nd year doldrums of a biochem based PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Environmental Science but I love Biology in school, I'm currently doing work on foraminifera for sea level change and I'm doing stable isotope mass spec on plant samples as well for the same purposes, so maybe that counts I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

BSc in Biochemistry from UCD. My thesis was on the effects of single amino acid mutations on the thermal stability of the Hen Egg White Lysozyme protein.

Will be starting a MSc in biotechnology in September and hopefully a PhD after that. Forever the academic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

Going into 2nd year Biomed in Maynooth . Biology has always been my favourite subject

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Improbable wrote: »
    BSc in Biochemistry from UCD. My thesis was on the effects of single amino acid mutations on the thermal stability of the Hen Egg White Lysozyme protein.

Will be starting a MSc in biotechnology in September and hopefully a PhD after that. Forever the academic!

If I didn't know better. I'd guess your one of Jens Nielsens crew for your fourth year project. He always did like his HEWL. He was my supervisor as an undergrad as well.

CramCycle wrote: »
    If I didn't know better. I'd guess your one of Jens Nielsens crew for your fourth year project. He always did like his HEWL. He was my supervisor as an undergrad as well.

You would be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am qualitied on Avionics and Electrical systems for aircraft, but I got so disillusioned with my work that I went to Uni to get other qualifications and find a job I loved.

I took a BSc degree course in Applied Biology and after I graduated I went looking for a job.

I got a job as a rat catcher.........

Guess what I now do for a living....

Yes I am an Avionics and Electrical technician repairing aeroplanes.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ladydresden

4th Biotechnology and my area of focus at the moment is RNA Interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

Bsc hons in biological science, graduated in 2004. Now working in the environmental field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 panta rei

I am currently doing Foundation Science and hoping to get into Microbiology next year at NUIG. For those who did it: how was it for you? Please write some info. Thanks.

panta rei wrote: »
    I am currently doing Foundation Science and hoping to get into Microbiology next year at NUIG. For those who did it: how was it for you? Please write some info. Thanks.

I only ever did a few modules in microbiology and I couldn't get into it purely because of the amount of cleaning and sterilisation that had to be done.

How do you mean that? Sorry for questioning you, did you want to get into it and that stopped you, or? Apart from that, how did you find those modules? What type of examination they give you?

How do you mean that? Sorry for questioning you, did you want to get into it and that stopped you, or? Apart from that, how did you find those modules? What type of examination they give you?

My degree was in biochemistry but I took a few classes in it. I was never planning on making microbiology a main focus but I did think it looked interesting. And in fairness, it was very interesting. If you really want to study it, I wouldn't let that stop you because it's only a minor irritation but I just didn't like that aspect of it very much. I probably wouldn't have cared if I was doing a degree in it, but as a choice for optional modules, I wouldn't pick it again if I had the choice.

The material itself was fun and the lectures weren't boring like some of the other stuff I had to do over 4 years. As for the exams, I went to UCD so I don't know what the exams will be like but generally speaking, exams in university tend to be MCQ and short answer questions in the first year or two and then go more into long essay style questions for the final 2 years.

Thank you for answering, that was really helpfull. Hopefully they wll accept me after the course I'am doing this year (I took it because it would be easier to get into microb., but you never know..) anyway, won't bother you anymore:)

Not at all, I don't mind answering questions.

After classes and modules you took, do you think microbiology on itself is tough to study? It is interesting indeed, but is it also very demanding? I would like to know what you think. It is silly to ask this as mostly everything is demanding and requires dedication and hard work, but I don't know anybody who finished microb. or studying it. so I am not aware how hard it is. I am interested in your opinion. Thank you.

After classes and modules you took, do you think microbiology on itself is tough to study? It is interesting indeed, but is it also very demanding? I would like to know what you think. It is silly to ask this as mostly everything is demanding and requires dedication and hard work, but I don't know anybody who finished microb. or studying it. so I am not aware how hard it is. I am interested in your opinion. Thank you.

I'll respond via PM's as I don't want to be spamming the biologists introduction thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Part of my course is in Microbiology (I'm studing Biotechnology) I dont think its too bad It is interesting indeed I personally dont think it is as demending as other subjects but the lab work requires great care and attention aseptic technique is very important

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

im a Biotechnology HONS degree graduate and i am going to leave ireland!!!! ... i will go to canada... whos ... with me ? :eek::eek::eek::cool::cool:

I loved the analysis of biofilm formaton biomolecules such as pyocyanin and alkyl quinolones in Pseudomonas aeruginosa through HPLC-UV analysis. I am qualified to a Masters in Analytical Chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    im a Biotechnology HONS degree graduate and i am going to leave ireland!!!! ... i will go to canada... whos ... with me ? :eek::eek::eek::cool::cool:

did you ever get to Canada?

Advertisement