Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post your Setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭meob

mande01 wrote: »
    Meob, I am seriously impressed with your set up man.

By any chance you didn't document your efforts?
    Or point one to a good starting point. Unfortunately I have very little money but really want to have sky plus type stuff on our cable connection here in Dungarvan.

Any info would be great.

And again I love you set up!

Der

P.S. do you use an off site back up? or just at the neighbours or something?

sure, you can start here:

http://mediacenterhd.blogspot.com/2009/10/why.html

the blog is a little rough, but you get the idea!

to pipe sky hd into media center (in full HD) , you'll need a hauppauge HD PVR & DVBlink for HD-PVR

http://www.dvblogic.com/hdpvr.php

if you only piping SD Sky, then there are numerous cheaper solutions, and you wont need the HD PVR.

have a look thru the blog, kinda goes thru it step-by-step , feel free to ask any q's

I finally got a solution for converting HD .wtv to .m2ts / .ts for editing as well.

for backup, i do a offsite backup to parents house, just for valuable data, pics / home vids ect.

everything else is duplicated locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drnmalone

modded xbox with xbmc
    cosmos5 tower running XP
    q9650 3.00ghz quad processor
    4 gig ram
    2 wd 1tb sata 2 driver
    2 segate 1tb driver
    1 500gb segate drive sata2
    1 320 gb seagate drive sata 2
    nivida 500mhz hd card
    xbox 360
    ps3
    denon 7.1 amp 1507
    2 x bose 300xl speakers front
    2 x mission 701 backs
    1 x wharfdale diamond 9 centre
    1 pioneer 100watt sub
    1 LG 42lh3000 full hd tv
    and a netgear gigabit switch
    all controlled by a costum programmed
    philips pronto TSU 9600

want to upgrade to win7 but xbmc and 7 dont talk very well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 demon1

My setup comprises of Dell Studio xps 8100
    i7 870
    8 gigs ram
    1gig Radeon 5450
    Connected to Samsung LN32A450 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV
    I have two external storage devices
    4 bay Drobo with 2 750 gig and 2 1.5 tb drives
    A generic 4 bay box with 2 750 gig and 1 1.5 tb drive - no raid system
    Creative 2.1 speakers

I use an N rated Belkin router to wirelessly stream movies to a revo 3610 in the sitting room, on a Samsung LN37A550 37-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV. Sound through hdmi

As controlers I use a generic Windows media remote with Eventghost to map the buttons on the xps.
    I use the revos wireless keyboard in the sittingroom
    Both run the latest beta Xbmc, with wmp-hc as the external player.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wibbleman

HTPC: ASROCK 330HT (Atom 330, Nvidia Ion, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit, 500GB HDD)
    Tuner 1: USB Hautpague 900H (DVB-T - mpeg4)
    Tuner 2: USB PCTV 460e (DVB-S2)
    External HDD: WD 1TB USB
    Remote: Emprex 3009URF RF remote.
    Software: Media Center, XBMC, NeverMiss TV, HULU Desktop

With the above I get all the DVB-T Irish channels, and all the FreeSat UK channels.

XBMC, HULU desktop and NeverMiss TV are run directly from my media center front end so everything works from the remote control.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

want to upgrade to win7 but xbmc and 7 dont talk very well
    I have XBMC and W7/64 and no issue, where we you thinking you may have problems...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drnmalone

slave1 wrote: »
    I have XBMC and W7/64 and no issue, where we you thinking you may have problems...
    i say you post so i loaded w7/64 onto my laptop and still no joy i can see the laptop on xbmc on my xbox but cant access it, it keep asking for a password i know im prob doin something stupid any advise??:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh, you are referring to an actual Xbox 360 talking to XBMC on a PC, I have XBMC installed on my PC however do not connect my XBox 360 to my network so can't help with your issue.
    I assume you know that W7 operates 'homegroups' as it's network so maybe the password required is your W7 Homegroup password (which is stored in your laptop), do a help search on your laptop for homegroup password and it's bound to provide a link to your password.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

slave1 wrote: »
    I assume you know that W7 operates 'homegroups' as it's network so maybe the password required is your W7 Homegroup password (which is stored in your laptop), do a help search on your laptop for homegroup password and it's bound to provide a link to your password.

Sounds like thats your problem alright.

Click start and search for "homegroup", click the link to HomeGroup and under the heading "other homegroup actions" is an option to change the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

shuttle xs35gt
    running an openelec release of xbmc off a 30gb SSD
    -the shuttle is passively cooled, so completely silent
    -boots in about 20 seconds

It streams everything off my unRAID box in the next room over wired ethernet. Intend to rehome the server in the attic, once I get the house rewired next year. Server has ~4TB usuable, though is nearing capacity, but has plenty of room internally for expansion. Collection is mostly dvd rips of episodes, uncompressed in .mkv

hdmi out from the shuttle to the telly, and then coax from the telly to the speakers (my old logitech z5500)

remote is a logitech dinovo mini, which is showing its age (about 3 years old now, maybe more)

umm, I guess thats mostly it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PCrepairman.ie

ASRock ION 330 not the BR version.
    2 GB of ram
    330 GB HD

Running XBMC and using samba to share folders and copy files over.

Connected to TV with HDMI and using Logitech K400 as the wireless keyboard and mouse. (great small, light piece of kit)
    It works really well playing files up to 5GB in size, after that it can start to jitter.

Not as quiet as ASrock make out but I'm really picky about that stuff.

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

HTPC,

Case, Antec Overture II
    Motherboard, S775 Intel G31 DDR2 mATX
    CPU, Celeron E3300 2.50Ghz S775 1MB
    RAM, 4GB
    HDD, Kingston SSDNow V100 256GB & 1.5TB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA-3
    Tuners, 2 X Hauppauge HVR3000 & 1 X TBS6981 Dual Tuner

Software,

Windows 7 Pro
    DVBLINK TVSource
    Hadu CCCam Plugin
    XMLTV Gui
    Torrent Episode Downloader
    uTorrent
    SCRU
    MediaBrowser (replaces MCE Movies mode)
    <meta>browser

Hardware,

DLINK DIR-655
    TPLINK GB 8 Port Switch
    1 XBOX Elite (Extender mode)
    1 XBOX Arcade (Extender mode)
    1 DLINK Media Center Extender.

I receive all Sky channels (SD & HD) and can watch them on any TV in the house using either Windows Media Center or using Boxee on my laptop, imac or ipad. Its taken me a while to get everything write (especially the epg) but I'm delighted with it now.

The xbox is a great piece of kit imo. Its allowed me to have just 1 device under each TV for all games, music, TV and movies. Now if I could just get it to play BR!

The HTPC is in the attic so the whole setup is virtually silent except for the older xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pauliewha

/snip.

This isn't a thread (or board for that matter) to sell stuff.
    www.adverts.ie if you want to sell\advertise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

BrianjG wrote: »
    HTPC,

Case, Antec Overture II
    Motherboard, S775 Intel G31 DDR2 mATX
    CPU, Celeron E3300 2.50Ghz S775 1MB
    RAM, 4GB
    HDD, Kingston SSDNow V100 256GB & 1.5TB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA-3
    Tuners, 2 X Hauppauge HVR3000 & 1 X TBS6981 Dual Tuner

Software,

Windows 7 Pro
    DVBLINK TVSource
    Hadu CCCam Plugin
    XMLTV Gui
    Torrent Episode Downloader
    uTorrent
    SCRU
    MediaBrowser (replaces MCE Movies mode)
    <meta>browser

Hardware,

DLINK DIR-655
    TPLINK GB 8 Port Switch
    1 XBOX Elite (Extender mode)
    1 XBOX Arcade (Extender mode)
    1 DLINK Media Center Extender.

I receive all Sky channels (SD & HD) and can watch them on any TV in the house using either Windows Media Center or using Boxee on my laptop, imac or ipad. Its taken me a while to get everything write (especially the epg) but I'm delighted with it now.

The xbox is a great piece of kit imo. Its allowed me to have just 1 device under each TV for all games, music, TV and movies. Now if I could just get it to play BR!

The HTPC is in the attic so the whole setup is virtually silent except for the older xbox.

Hugely impressive....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Acer Aspire Revo R3700 with 300GB HD
    External 2TB HD
    4GB RAM
    Rii Mini wireless keyboard
    XBMC Eden
    sabnzbd+
    sickbeard
    couchpotato

The Revo runs XBMC Eden, sabnzbd+ and sickbeard for automation purposes, so the box literally does all of the work for me. ;) I also have the sickbeard and sabnzbd plugins running inside XBMC so I can monitor queues and add new shows as needed then get notification popups inside XBMC also.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RockyTwoArms

Basically i'm still developing the system but the idea is single server for full house audio and library management & Laptop to send video over widi to projector

Hardware Spec;
    Server PC;
    Pentium 4 630 3 Ghz on intel D945GTP board - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.p...+4+3.00GHz
    2.5 GB ram (running at 266 Mhz) -
    Geforce 6800 GS 256Mb
    3.5 TB on two drives connected via USB caddy (to be move internally)
    M-Audio Delta 1010lt sound card - 4 stereo phono outputs
    House;
    Cut 2 phono leads in half and crudely wired through a simple blocks (Upgrade http://www.ebyelectro.com/terminal-block...wless.asp) to speaker cables that run through my house then into two speakers in each room.
    Epson projector
    Old sony cd player
    Netgear router
    belkin screencast for WiDi
    NTL box
    Remote;
    SGS and Xperia S running xbmc remote
    Mobile;
    Lenovo W520
    i7 2.3Ghz
    8GB ram
    128GB SSD
    500GB WD black
    1080 LCD
    Dell D620
    Dell Mini 1010

Software
    Server;
    Windows XP 32 - (to be changed to server 2003 64 if possible)
    XBMC (4 separate folders on external drive - Run side by running in portable mode as different windows users outputting to different audio devices- wasn't able to achieve in windows 7/8)
    Virtual Audio Cable - to allow switching of audio into more than one room (can use xbmc mutliroom audio plugin for two audio output)
    MySQL - to manage single database and share with all devices
    Phone
    Xbmc remote on android (assign different port for each instance) - minor issues controlling volume and next track etc.
    Laptop;
    Windows 7 64 bit
    XBMC
    WiDi - to send video and audio to projector from Laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭meob

jjphdt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Shed;
    Dell t300 (12gb ram and quad core xeon)
    TBS 6985
    Dreambox
    Running DVBLink to feed the rest of the house.
    11TBs dedicated to TV rips (about 3.5-4TB free at the moment)
    5TBs dedicated to HD Movie rips
    Sky dish with octo output feeding the TBS and a couple of recievers in the house.

Main Room
    46" samsung
    Zotac HTPC running openelec
    HD sat reciever (may move elsewhere once I am happy with DVBlink on Openelec)

Sitting Room
    Bose Dock and Airport Express for Airplay from the server in the shed.
    No TV (not my choice.........)

Main Bedroom
    32" Samsung
    Sat reciever
    WD TV Live (along with the sat reciever due to be replaced by a HTPC using DVBlink)

Mancave / Attic
    37" Samsung
    HD Sat reciever
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround.

All the above rooms are wired via Cat5e (Cat6 in the case of the shed.)

Portable (all make use of DVBlink)
    iPad
    Laptop
    iPhones

Plans for the future;
    Projector for Main Room
    5.1 surround for Main Room
    Possibility of second iPad (works really well with DVBlink)
    New TV for Mancave (it's 720p only) which I'd be only too happy if it was the cast off from the main room if the projector ever gets approval from the real boss of the house.

The DVBLink aspect of things is brand new to the house (mrs is away this weekend and I did it all yesterday) and I'm really impressed by it. Channel changes are a bit slow (XBMC issue as far as I can tell) but apart from that it's very impressive.

Being able to watch TV with the iPad while cooking will hopefully be a large plus that will help get approval for anything and everything else I plan!

Down to just the Zotac and Openlink with DVBLink PVR addon in the Main Room.

Thinking about getting a second TBS6985, and getting rid of the recievers around the house entirely.

Man cave is now working off Xbox 360 Media Centre Extender with VM on the server setup with WMC to dish it out. Real world enterntainment based on virtualisation! Now looking to sell two HD sat recievers to friends who were impressed with my previous setup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A couple of months ago I bought this low power HP server to run as a home media server/download box. It's tucked away on a self in the office running Windows 7 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB satas. On this I run Sabnzb, Couchpotato, sickbeard, Headphones and uTorrent to do all my downloading. I had considered linux and server OS's, but went with Windows 7 for simplicity.

Under the TV I have a custom built Atom/Ion HTPC I built last year. It's running XBMCbuntu, specs are in this thread. It has a 40GB SSD and no moving parts so is completely silent. There is also an Amiko Alien 2 triple tuner satellite box with the full Sly UK package (ahem), with satellite EPG, recording, series link etc. I've been adding to this setup, first I added Logitech z5500's surround and now a 50" LG TV. I have a toslink switch for audio, so use the z5500's for all audio, I just switch the source between the HTPC and sat box.

The Kitchen has the old 32" Samsung TV with Amiko HD Mini sat box (FTA channels for now but can do Sly later). The young fella has his PS3 there. I'll most likely be adding a Ouya for XBMC when they become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

This thread seems to have died a death over the past year.

I would love for this thread to be more active... with more pics of irish HTPC/mancave/living room setups

Something like the XBMC forums new "post your setup" thread... Here

And the old one... Here

Only prob with the XBMC "post your setup" thread is that it is very "Americanized" with setups that wouldnt look good in an Irish house or apartment. But saying that there is a few UK setups that are very slick and nice looking.

Pictures of backroom and attic setups are great too because they give you ideas of how other people layout cabling to devices and ways of mounting your equipment on walls/racks etc.

• Advertisement

Access wrote: »
    This thread seems to have died a death over the past year.

I would love for this thread to be more active... with more pics of irish HTPC/mancave/living room setups

Something like the XBMC forums new "post your setup" thread... Here

And the old one... Here

Only prob with the XBMC "post your setup" thread is that it is very "Americanized" with setups that wouldnt look good in an Irish house or apartment. But saying that there is a few UK setups that are very slick and nice looking.

Pictures of backroom and attic setups are great too because they give you ideas of how other people layout cabling to devices and ways of mounting your equipment on walls/racks etc.

If I win the battle and get a projector I'd be only chuffed to post pics for some face rubbing!

For anyone who can if redocorating walls or replacing skirting boards at any stage my advice would be use that opportunity to get Cat5 (or Cat6 if you can afford it in). Wireless will break your High Definiton loving heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Or buy a decent set of homeplugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

tony1980 wrote: »
    Or buy a decent set of homeplugs!

They can break your heart too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Taken from one of the users on XBMC forums...

128242_full.jpg
    128245_full.jpg

60 TB of pure storage... i have to admit a small bit of drool came out! :D

60TB must be fore more than a domestic setup... Are they powerpacks on the bottom?

60TB must be fore more than a domestic setup... Are they powerpacks on the bottom?

Looks like ups. Puts my 10tb to shame although it's certainly not a home setup (unless they're filthy rich). That's €3600 on hard drives alone @ €180 per 3tb. Is say is more likely a NVR. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Video_Recorder

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Looks like ups. Puts my 10tb to shame although it's certainly not a home setup (unless they're filthy rich). That's €3600 on hard drives alone @ €180 per 3tb. Is say is more likely a NVR. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Video_Recorder

All that money and buys a fooking dell pc - :D:D

Once you start ripping or otherwise aquiring full BDs you eat up space very quickly.

Plus I think that's a RAID 10 setup so 60TB of disks but 'only' 30TB of useable space. If I ripped my Blurays and DVDs 1:1 I would probably need that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'll most likely be adding a Ouya for XBMC when they become available.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/28/4158156/ouya-will-be-available-in-retail-stores-on-june-4th-for-99-99

• Advertisement

Advertisement