Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car ploughs through crowd in Germany

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

biko wrote: »
    Considering vehicle rampages in Stockholm, Nice, Berlin, Barcelona, London Bridge and Westminster Bridge the last few years it's not a surprise that a Islamist is the go-to assumption, don't you think?

I am old enough to remember when it wasn't the go-to assumption.
    That was 20 years ago...

Im old enough to have this thought in the back of my head but still save judgement for when facts are known.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Unfortunately there will be a real Islamist attack soon somewhere in Europe.
    They will never stop.

You are correct

Just wait until they manage to go to a little Island and kill everyone on it ... That will be soooo bad

Its the rinse and repeat

Incident?
    Two factions form;
    Those looking to make political hay and those hoping said hay won't be made at their expense.
    Truth comes out; queue gloating by hay makers.

What ever about Germany, interesting stats for Europe 2019:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/security/20180703STO07125/terrorism-in-the-eu-terror-attacks-deaths-and-arrests-in-2019

119 terrorist recorded (includes successful and those that failed or were foiled)

Of those:
    21 are attributed to jihadist terrorism.
    57 are attributed to ethno-nationalist and separatist
    (56 of them in N.Ireland)
    6 attributed to Far Right
    26 attributed to Far Lett
    9 single isdue/non specified.

But
    Although they represent only a sixth of all attacks in the EU, jihadist terrorists were responsible for all 10 deaths and 26 out 27 people who got injured.

So you're terrorist in in Europe in 2019, most likely you were in Northern Irish, and not very good, but if you're were njured/killed in a 2019 terrorist incident, a jihad did it.

Right wing terrorists need to get those numbers up, left wing terrorists giving them a rinsing.

A psychiatric assessment will be made.

A clear cut example of how in some cases the death penalty should be enforced.

No excuses. No rehabilitation.

This prick deserves to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It’ll be a terror attack.
    It’ll be a recently arrived Muslim refugee
    People will make excuses

We know the pattern by now.

This aged well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

km991148 wrote: »
    There will be at some point. Dies that mean every accident or attack should be treated as one?
    Should we continue to Stoke the flames with generalisations about older religious types grooming terrorists or allude about the tanning of skin?

At least that's an admittance (albeit somewhat timorous) that the importation of Islam into Europe has been a bad mistake (who'd have thunk it!).

And a situation where people can incite hatred(as is an everyday occurrence around these parts) allowing them to insinuate themselves in to power by democratic means then exterminate 6 million people is the history we don't want to repeat.
    Free speech is protected in the German Constitution of 1949 but certainly not as a carte blanche for hate speech, hetze.
    https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/gg/art_5.html

Your Nirvana would be some poor unfortunate's Hell. The Germans learnt a hard lesson that you haven't learnt but isn't it cool to be a liberal like yerself.

Christ :(

Like I said you guys are dangerous, very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

At least that's an admittance (albeit somewhat timorous) that the importation of Islam into Europe has been a bad mistake (who'd have thunk it!).

If that's what you take from that post - fair enough. Or do you mean another religion being 'imported' is too much due to people too keen to make ignorant comments and generalisations?

(If you actually want to know my views - all religion is nonsense tbh.

Islam appears to me no different to Catholicism not so long ago, but I have no direct experience of either - that's my view of an outsider looking in.

Out of the Muslims I have met tho - they seem a lot more caring than the Catholics* I have met - but we are talking about a sample size of half a dozen families or so. Probably getting away from the thread topic tho since its not about terrorism or religion.

*(practising, not the Irish wedding and funeral average)
    )

Hmmm. You discount a constitution because it doesn't align with your worldview. Who is intolerant? The German people or you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Considering vehicle rampages in Stockholm, Nice, Berlin, Barcelona, London Bridge and Westminster Bridge the last few years it's not a surprise that a Islamist is the go-to assumption, don't you think?

I am old enough to remember when it wasn't the go-to assumption.
    That was 20 years ago...

Not much more than 20 years ago, the assumption whenever there was terrorist activity was usually that it was the Irish.

• Advertisement

When Gervais08 is thanking your posts you need to reassess your opinions.

km991148 wrote: »
    If that's what you take from that post - fair enough. Or do you mean another religion being 'imported' is too much due to people too keen to make ignorant comments and generalisations? (If you actually want to know my views - all religion is nonsense tbh. Islam appears to me no different to Catholicism not so long ago, but I have no direct experience of either - that's my view of an outsider looking in. Out of the Muslims I have met tho - they seem a lot more caring than the Catholics* I have met - but we are talking about a sample size of half a dozen families or so. Probably getting away from the thread topic tho since its not about terrorism or religion.*(practising, not the Irish wedding and funeral average) )

The fact that you see Islam as not too different to Catholicism is enough.

There's no point continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭boardise

ElJeffe wrote: »
    :confused:

On what?

Evident psychiatric dysfunction would ,presumably, take any notion of purposeful evil intent out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The fact that you see Islam as not too different to Catholicism is enough.

There's no point continuing.

I guess that's your choice to deliberately not continue.
    Like I say, based on direct experience as an outsider looking in (to both religions).

For the record tho, I did say Catholicism a short while ago. They are obviously not the exact same and both have very different sets of problems.

Out of interest, how many Muslims do you know / have you known over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It appears the man was known to have been living in his car.

He was known also to be aggressive. (police should have done something )

He was also drunk behind the wheel. He has been tested.

Tragic.

EVIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This aged well.

95/100 times thats correct through, gloat now, it wasn't the sacred cow of religions this time. But sure as the sun rises and sets, the (sadly) next time it probably will be and we can do the usual ‘i bet it wasnt islam youre all racists, <news story confirming it was a muslim > , radio silence from the left’ game all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

It appears the man was known to have been living in his car.

He was known also to be aggressive. (police should have done something )

He was also drunk behind the wheel. He has been tested.

Tragic.

EVIL.

Had recently lost his job and was living in his car because of it - this obviously started his downward spiral unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Had recently lost his job and was living in his car because of it - this obviously started his downward spiral unfortunately.

Narcissists take out their frustration on everyone else, can someone just be going bad and get over it? Everyone blames mental health or bad luck, loads of people are struggling, this **** didn't make things any better by killing others, but he had mental health issues, handy out for the prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

95/100 times thats correct through, gloat now, it wasn't the sacred cow of religions this time. But sure as the sun rises and sets, the (sadly) next time it probably will be and we can do the usual ‘i bet it wasnt islam youre all racists, <news story confirming it was a muslim > , radio silence from the left’ game all over again
    You seem legitimately upset that this wasn't a Muslim terror attack.

Imagine being delighted a chap mowing down some pedestrians in a vehicle isn't a jihad attack.

God be with the days, such an incident was just a tragic accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You seem legitimately upset that this wasn't a Muslim terror attack.

I have no idea how you managed to get to that insane conclusion from my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I have no idea how you managed to get to that insane conclusion from my post.

Because your post read as a strop about them not being Muslim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

These speculative threads need to be paused until some solid information is known. And then closed when they clearly go off topic in a political manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

These speculative threads need to be paused until some solid information is known. And then closed when they clearly go off topic in a political manner.

The usual response from liberals and so-called progressives who want discussions closed down as soon as a political dimension is introduced. "Censorship" = the progressive/liberal solution to an opposing view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Kivaro wrote: »
    The usual response from liberals and so-called progressives who want discussions closed down as soon as a political dimension is introduced. "Censorship" = the progressive/liberal solution to an opposing view.

Its telling that what is essentially a request for more informed discussion gets labelled as censorship.

Can't have facts getting in the way of unfounded right wing allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not much more than 20 years ago, the assumption whenever there was terrorist activity was usually that it was the Irish.
    The IRA have been bombing in UK since the 70s up until 2000 or so.
    It was a good guess back then that if there was a bombing it was the IRA.
    That has changed though.

If there was an explosion in Germany at the time it was probably Red Army Faction, aka Baader–Meinhof Gang (a German far-left militant organization).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hang on a second, this is boards.ie...... anything goes.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Its telling that what is essentially a request for more informed discussion gets labelled as censorship.

Its telling that what is essentially a request to shut down an online discussion, is condoned as " anti-fash"

Me, when I first heard, my first thought was "FFS, bloody Jihadis again"

Now as facts emerge, I'm "relieved" there wasn't yet another chap who hated my culture/civilization so much he was willing to drive a jeep into a crowd of people including kids out shopping.
    But I'm certainly not disappointed it wasn't a jihad attack, as I wouldn't be delighted if it had been.

Queue discussion. Thread title is accurate.
    (Am I right wing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its telling that what is essentially a request to shut down an online discussion, is condoned as " anti-fash"

Me, when I first heard, my first thought was "FFS, bloody Jihadis again"

Now as facts emerge, I'm "relieved" there wasn't yet another chap who hated my culture/civilization so much he was willing to drive a jeep into a crowd of people including kids out shopping.
    But I'm certainly not disappointed it wasn't a jihad attack, as I wouldn't be delighted if it had been.

Queue discussion. Thread title is accurate.
    (Am I right wing?)

Its telling that the right to make unfounded allegations is being so staunchly defended.

"Feel facts"......they're not necessarily true.....but they FEEL right.....

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its telling that the right to make unfounded allegations is being so staunchly defended.

"Feel facts"......they're not necessarily true.....but they FEEL right.....

Thought police much?

Advertisement