Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

The Byrne ultimatum. Surely

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

World Cup 2023 draw is in the morning
    Who do people want?

Reminder of the draw.
    1 from each band into the 4 pools
    South Africa, New Zealand, England, Wales
    Ireland, Australia, France, Japan
    Scotland, Argentina, Fiji, Italy
    Oceania 1, Europe 1, Americas 1, Asia Pacific 1
    Africa 1, Europe 2, Americas 2, Final Qualifier winner

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wales, Fiji and then who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

awec wrote: »
    Wales, Fiji and then who cares.

At a RWC, I’d give a full strength fiji more chance than Italy.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England, France and Argentina in one pool please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Completely unethused by the 2023 WC at this stage.

I know they do it far out from the WC all the time, but can anyone explain the logic behind having the WC draw.almost 3 years before the actual tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bilston wrote: »

I know they do it far out from the WC all the time, but can anyone explain the logic behind having the WC draw.almost 3 years before the actual tournament?
    Promo. So many of teams in the tournament are already qualified so they can build up the games between these sides in the next few years when they play.
    If we could get more sides competitive and open up more spots so only 8 qualified automatically then it could be better if you held draw later.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Promo. So many of teams in the tournament are already qualified so they can build up the games between these sides in the next few years when they play.
    If we could get more sides competitive and open up more spots so only 8 qualified automatically then it could be better if you held draw later.

I guess it's also so they can schedule Autumn games appropriately for the next few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

If we could avoid an ultimatum of having either NZL or a really good inform team in a QF for a change that would be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They need the time to sell the tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oddly I don’t think who’s in our group is as important as which group ours is paired up with for quarters. We want to avoid the strongest pot 3 teams obviously but last WC we knew we were getting a very tough quarter regardless of how the group went.
    I’d rather meet Wales in a quarter than have them in the group.

salmocab wrote: »
    Oddly I don’t think who’s in our group is as important as which group ours is paired up with for quarters. We want to avoid the strongest pot 3 teams obviously but last WC we knew we were getting a very tough quarter regardless of how the group went.

I'd rather meet Wales in the group than South Africa, New Zealand or England.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Ideally we get Italy as pot 3 and are paired with a group such as Wales, Japan, Fiji.

Worst case scenario is likely getting put with SA/New Zealand and Argentina, and being paired with group of SA/New Zealand and France.

salmocab wrote: »

As long as France aren't the second seeds in Wales's group!

Rugby World Cup Draw at 11.15 and Champions League at 11am...impeccable timing to get headlines...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As long as France aren't the second seeds in Wales's group!

Well no there a lot of variables but what I’m saying is better to have a big gun in the group and a quarter against say Wales than be in a group with Wales and have a quarter against South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ireland have had 3 great draws in 2011, 15 and 19.
    If we get Wales and still draw Argentina I think that would be another great draw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ireland have had 3 great draws in 2011, 15 and 19.
    If we get Wales and still draw Argentina I think that would be another great draw

I'd argue that 19 was the worst possible draw. A guaranteed quarter final against either the All Blacks or the eventual champions South Africa regardless of whatever else we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'd argue that 19 was the worst possible draw. A guaranteed quarter final against either the All Blacks or the eventual champions South Africa regardless of whatever else we did.

At the time of the draw it was a great draw!
    Easy group...
    Then the Erasmus plan then kicked in.

Best case: (Wales, Ireland, Fiji) paired with (England, Japan, Italy)

Worst case: (New Zealand, Ireland, Argentina) paired with (South Africa, Australia, Scotland)

• Advertisement

Knowing Ireland we will be drawn in a group where the winner/runner up will play NZL and the hosts France...you just know it, take it to the bank.

I honestly would take a group of death if it meant we avoided a scenario where the winner/runner up of the group avoided a 2019 scenario in terms of the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I have a feeling Ireland will get England

Can we watch the draw anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/pool-draw

I think Macron is saying that England, Wales and Scotland wont be allowed play unless they agree to a level playing field

CMcsporty wrote: »
    https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/pool-draw

I think Macron is saying that England, Wales and Scotland wont be allowed play unless they agree to a level playing field

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Start the damned draw before I piss meself!

Well we aren't getting Italy anyway which was the ideal 3rd seed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭A-Train

Here we go hopefully not Pool D.

Advertisement