Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yarn Indicator -Nymph fishing

• 15-10-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Anybody here ever use the Yarn Indicator for nymph fishing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I've tried every indicator at one time or another inc yarn. In fact I would say I'm a sucker for anything new that comes along. 99.9% of nymphing now, I do not bother with any. My standard approach is floating line (obviously), roman moser braided connector and a two-tone butt end end thread furled leader with a tippet ring at the business end. I use Dilly Wax on last 8" of fly line, connector and a foot or so of leader. This will float all day and has enough contrast and length for me to see anything that touches my fly.

Now to that 0.01%, I recently bought some neon indicator wax, only got to try it a few times this year....chances are it'll end up in in a box somewhere as the about setup really is perfect

To add, a lot of 2019 fishing and the little I got out this year was using tenkara rod - similar approach to the above, tenkara or level line to tippet. Plenty of wax where needed - 6/8 ft up.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Thanks for that. What length is the furled leader. How do strikes show themselves. And approximate length of leader. Is it a flat leader you use.

What size is the inside diameter of plastic tubing when using the New Zealand yarn indicator.

I use furled leaders from 4ft to 6ft depending on the rod, I get them from the crowd below - mods I've no connection other than being a happy customer for at least 5 years. I use Stroft ABR for tippet, flies in use dictate the diameter. Tippet length can be any where from 10ft to 3ft depending water depth and flow.

I only fish upstream either straight up to about 60 degrees max. Takes are seen by any odd movement in the floating section (butt to line). It will pause, dart to a side or shoot forward. Don't bother NZ yarn, imho our trout (at least big ones) are just too spooky and skittish to have something this unnatural slung at them....

https://loopyleaders.co.uk/

Thanks for all the info . Very enlightening.

Just one more question. Do you put the Dilly Wax on the furled leader. I presume you are using this as a bite indicator.

• Advertisement

Mach Two wrote: »
    Just one more question. Do you put the Dilly Wax on the furled leader. I presume you are using this as a bite indicator.

Just the last 8" or so, also the minicon connector and a foot of fly line. This entire piece is your indicator, on some fly lines I will add stripes with a marker for contrast. Once you get used to it, you will see absolutely anything touching your fly. What I love about this style of upstream nymphing is the way you can almost zone out (or in depending on your point of view). I fish it with my left hand in my pocket, fan cast in front (max 3 rod lengths out of the rod tip), take a step and go again. You can almost sense the takes before you see them...

Oliver Edwards has some nice (but very boring) videos on these techniques, pretty sure most are on YouTube.

I have an superb book Dynamic Nymphing which covers every known technique, of which there a lot if you want to get serious.

Jeez I'd to go fishing right now....hopefully come 1st March we can!

Thanks for that. The last 8" I presume being the 8" connected to the fly line. Would "Mucilin" be as good.

Advertisement