Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Of Dublin

• 09-09-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

The rise of Covid cases in Dublin is worrying, hopefully no new restrictions will be introduced to stop the C.O.D going ahead. There is a good strong entry and most of the people who played in the Irish Championship are playing again which just goes to show how happy we all were with the playing conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FutureCM

sodacat11 wrote: »
    The rise of Covid cases in Dublin is worrying, hopefully no new restrictions will be introduced to stop the C.O.D going ahead. There is a good strong entry and most of the people who played in the Irish Championship are playing again which just goes to show how happy we all were with the playing conditions.

As much as I want to be wrong I would be shocked if it went ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

There should be some further clarification following the Govt's announcement of the its next covid management plan on Tuesday. The arrangements for the Irish were excellent.

If the CoD does go ahead I presume the same conditions and requirements re mask wearing, sanitization etc etc will apply especially given the extra sections and entrants and additional space requirements.

As much as I want to play I have a niggling doubt if it will go ahead given the rise of numbers in the Dublin area. There are days when it feels like a complete head wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

If the ICU wants the event to happen they probably need to contact the office of the Minister for Culture etc., Catherine Martin, to seek clarification and explain how they plan to organise the event safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

RooksPawn wrote: »
    If the ICU wants the event to happen they probably need to contact the office of the Minister for Culture etc., Catherine Martin, to seek clarification and explain how they plan to organise the event safely.

Good idea! I think if the authorities were shown how the Irish Ch was conducted there would be no problem in letting us go ahead.

We don't seem to be any clearer after this morning's press conference, do we?
    Maybe organised indoor cultural events of 50 people max are allowed elsewhere in the country, but are they allowed in Dublin? Even if they are tomorrow, Dublin might be moved to a full level 3 in a few days.
    Probably it will be safer to cancel the City of Dublin now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The CoD is technically an LCU event, not an ICU event (although obviously you'd imagine ICU would have veto rights)

But personally I don't think the CoD should be cancelled now. The Irish Championships Major was cancelled with two days' notice, and while it was frustrating (I was one of those who had entered), would it not be preferable to try give the CoD every chance to go ahead, even if it means again cancelling on the Wednesday? I'm not sure what's to be gained by cancelling now.

"Organised indoor gatherings" with a named owner/organiser/manager are allowed. At present up to 100 patrons are permitted for larger venues where strict 2 metre seated social distancing and one-way controls for entry and exit can be implemented. As I understand it, two separate areas of the venue are being used to ensure a larger venue and better social distancing.

However, if Dublin does drop to Level 3, then no organised indoor gatherings are permitted and the event would have to be cancelled.

The additional restrictions for Dublin do not at present refer to organised indoor gatherings or mention Level 3, so the assumption has to be that the CoD can still go ahead.

Of course it's up to individual players if they want to play in the current environment. And it could very easily change overnight alright.

We don't seem to be any clearer after this morning's press conference, do we?
    Maybe organised indoor cultural events of 50 people max are allowed elsewhere in the country, but are they allowed in Dublin? Even if they are tomorrow, Dublin might be moved to a full level 3 in a few days.
    Probably it will be safer to cancel the City of Dublin now.
    And what exactly would that achieve? You might not want to play in the C.O.D but many of us do so there is no point in cancelling it unless we are forced to do so. The venue in Colaiste Eanna is so well ventilated we might as well be playing outdoors. I see no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't go ahead and I can assure you that I am not someone who takes Covid 19 lightly.

On the basis of what has been announced today, one would imagine this will go ahead, at least I hope so, given the very safe arrangements that were put into place at Colaiste Eanna by all concerned. I do wonder about the numbers though and how this will be capped. Hopefully we will have an announcement in that regard with some detailed information on the arrangements, given the amount of sections and players.

I think it's at best 50/50 to be honest. Probably less likely.

8 days is a long way away in the current climate, and if Level 3 does come into effect in Dublin, I don't see that it will return to Level 2 in time for the tournament to go ahead.

cdeb wrote: »
    I think it's at best 50/50 to be honest. Probably less likely.

8 days is a long way away in the current climate, and if Level 3 does come into effect in Dublin, I don't see that it will return to Level 2 in time for the tournament to go ahead.

Yes having heard the news just now on the latest figures especially in Dublin, it’s not looking good alright.

• Advertisement

We can thank all the idiots who are frequenting pubs and attending house parties. I've heard of numerous pubs that are pretending to serve food and other supposedly closed ones where punters are going in the back door and being allowed to stay as long as they want with no social distancing. Things are not going to improve until tougher measures are brought in and people start getting prosecuted for irresponsible behaviour.

It seems to be the problem is in two areas - dublin north west and dublin southeast. Given the majority of people are cooperating with the guidelines it seems a bit rough to subject the whole of Dublin to a level three as a result of people who just won't do what really is quite simple after all to keep this virus at bay. I think its way past time to introduce hefty fines for people hosting house parties especially given the spread is in households in Dublin. Also I see people going into shops without a mask on. I have no tolerance for this behaviour. It is selfish not to play your part in helping to stop the spread of the virus especially when one can have the virus but spread it with out any symptoms. Some people either don't get or don't want to get that wearing a mask is about protecting others.

If the CoD can't go ahead perhaps it could just be postponed instead of cancelled. Say put it back 4-6 weeks if after a few days level three is introduced in Dublin.

If the CoD can't go ahead perhaps it could just be postponed instead of cancelled. Say put it back 4-6 weeks if after a few days level three is introduced in Dublin.
    A sensible idea!! Things might have improved by then.

Thank you very much to all concerned for the decision to postpone rather than cancel the CoD. I'll be leaving my entry as is! We live in hope!

If the numbers keep going as desired, I am entertaining the hope that the CoD, as originally advertised, might go ahead in the gap between Xmas and New Year??

If the numbers keep going as desired, I am entertaining the hope that the CoD, as originally advertised, might go ahead in the gap between Xmas and New Year??

Might clash with the over 50s championship if that goes ahead.

Yes I did consider that but I wonder would the confidence and numbers be there? Fair enough if they are, the seniors should then take precedence. Isn't the possibility of two tournaments clashing so exciting in these times?!

Yes I did consider that but I wonder would the confidence and numbers be there? Fair enough if they are, the seniors should then take precedence. Isn't the possibility of two tournaments clashing so exciting in these times?!

The Irish Ch was held in the most safe environment imaginable so I will have no problem playing in any tournament run by the ICU or LCU. I must dust off the chess books, I found it impossible to do any chess work when I had no idea of a return date, at least now there is some hope of a return in the new year.

The Irish Ch was held in the most safe environment imaginable so I will have no problem playing in any tournament run by the ICU or LCU. I must dust off the chess books, I found it impossible to do any chess work when I had no idea of a return date, at least now there is some hope of a return in the new year.

Yes I agree 100% about the ICU/LCU safety. I know some people who would be wary of mixing in an environment like that despite safety measures. If one of those tournaments is on I'll definitely play with confidence.

• Advertisement

I find a couple of the recent posts somewhat bonkers.

The Covid numbers are NOT going down sufficiently to permit OTB chess and after 2-3 weeks of Christmas shopping/ eating out/ boozing they will be higher. By the end of the year they could be back at crisis point.
    Fortunately vaccines are on the way.

The ICU has never scheduled the 2021 senior championship for New Year; but I would say Holy Week is a promising bet as seniors may get vaccinated first. At least we could have a 65+ event.

If young folks want to play the City of Dublin masked in January they are welcome to try but government restrictions will probably be at a level that makes it impossible. Or play it in the open air on Stephen's Green?

I find a couple of the recent posts somewhat bonkers.

The Covid numbers are NOT going down sufficiently to permit OTB chess and after 2-3 weeks of Christmas shopping/ eating out/ boozing they will be higher. By the end of the year they could be back at crisis point.

The ICU has never scheduled the 2021 senior championship for New Year; but I would say Holy Week is a promising bet as seniors may get vaccinated first. At least we could have a 65+ event.

You could well be right. I don't remember any religious stuff since I was in primary school. when is "holy week"?

I think your first point is spot on, and I can only hope your second point is too.

There's lots of talk about vaccines, but to be honest until they're actually being rolled out, then I'm not interested. They can get pulled at late notice for any reason.

I don't see the CoD going ahead until we reach Level 2 at least (Level 3 is proposed between now and Christmas). Probably the leagues won't resume until this is all over and clubs have access to venues again.

You could well be right. I don't remember any religious stuff since I was in primary school. when is "holy week"?

I'm not religious myself but "holy week" (with or without capital letters) is convenient shorthand for the week in which Good Friday falls.
    It's when the ICU ran various round-robin events last year and maybe could do so again in 2021.

How about this programme:

Socially Distanced GM Norm

Socially Distanced IM Norm

Seniors Championship (Swiss) as in the past since we should all have had the jabs

Open Swiss for the Vaccinated (no masks required)

PLUS socially distanced round-robins for the rest

I'm not religious myself but "holy week" (with or without capital letters) is convenient shorthand for the week in which Good Friday falls.
    It's when the ICU ran various round-robin events last year and maybe could do so again in 2021.

How about this programme:

Socially Distanced GM Norm

Socially Distanced IM Norm

Seniors Championship (Swiss) as in the past since we should all have had the jabs

Open Swiss for the Vaccinated (no masks required)

PLUS socially distanced round-robins for the rest
    "Easter" is even more convenient shorthand.
    After the hullabaloo we heard about wearing masks for the Irish Ch I predict that the ICU would get a lot of flak if they made "jabs" mandatory although I for one will happily take whatever vaccines that are on offer if it means that I can play tournament chess again.
    Incidentally, did anyone die or suffer any serious health consequences as a result of them wearing masks in the Irish Championship?

"Easter" is even more convenient shorthand.

Yes but in Ireland "Easter Week" (since 1916 anyway) means the week BEGINNING Easter Sunday.
    "Holy Week" is the preceding week, beginning Palm Sunday.

Yes but in Ireland "Easter Week" (since 1916 anyway) means the week BEGINNING Easter Sunday.
    "Holy Week" is the preceding week, beginning Palm Sunday.
    Thank you for enlightening me, I am not certain that I knew the difference.
    I have always associated Easter with the world snooker championships, a packed premier league schedule ,the Irish Grand National, chess and chocolate but in future I shall spend my time in church and perhaps Bodenstown contemplating the past and the historical/religious significance of Easter, Easter week, Holy Week Good Friday, and Palm Sunday.

Jaysus sodacat - I know what Holy Week is. Surely an aul fella like yourself must know? :p

cdeb wrote: »
    Jaysus sodacat - I know what Holy Week is. Surely an aul fella like yourself must know? :p
    As one gets older some things have to be forgotten to make room in the brain for new stuff. I knew when Holy week was but I wouldn't have been certain that Easter week wasn't the same thing. To be honest, I don't give a hoot as long as I get an Easter egg and get to watch plenty of sport at Easter, with a bit of luck we might even get a return to chess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

As one gets older some things have to be forgotten to make room in the brain for new stuff.
    I feel like I've heard this theory before. :)

Advertisement