Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PULSAR AXION KEY XM22 THERMAL IMAGER

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

keith s wrote: »
    Any links?
    I like the idea of the built-in range finder.
    Thanks

Yes agree with you there. A built in range finder would be a bonus. Probably at a price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I've noticed alot of the UK retailers are offering interest free finance. I've realised that's not available if you're in Ireland.

In the link below you can get finance buy there is interest on it.

https://www.camera.ie/products/pulsar-axion-xq38

I'm interested in the pulsar axion xq38 with the laser range finder but it'll cost the best part of €2.5k.

The cheapest option I've come across is a Hikvision thermal monocular from this crowd for €550.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/en/hikvision-owl-6-thermal-imaging-monocular.html

Not all the bells and whistles of other models but all I need is to detect the thermal blob. I can identify through my scope.

What are the batteries like in thermal vision devices. It would be nice to have one that uses AA batteries.

Would love to get my hands on the Hikvision Owl. Just to see how good it is. 3yr warranty with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭keith s

What are the batteries like in thermal vision devices. It would be nice to have one that uses AA batteries.

Would love to get my hands on the Hikvision Owl. Just to see how good it is. 3yr warranty with it.

My mate has the m30 (I think that's what it's called). We could be out for 4 or 5 hours and he'd have it on for most of that.
    He recently got a second battery.
    I haven't noticed him changing it while we were out, but maybe that will change with the longer nights approaching.

Any idea as to the price of the second battery.

• Advertisement

Any idea as to the price of the second battery.

Just asked him there, about €45 including post for the spare battery.
    He got a charger for €40, because normally you charge them from the unit, with the charger he can charge both of them at the same time.

Just asked him there, about €45 including post for the spare battery.
    He got a charger for €40, because normally you charge them from the unit, with the charger he can charge both of them at the same time.

What will the availability of the battery unit be like in to the future. Will they be rendered useless in time if no power supply can be sourced.

Fair point.
    Pulsar are (I would say) one of the most popular thermal brands out there at the moment, but it is possible.

I mean a well known Night Vision company in the UK went in to liquidation very recently so it could happen.

Probably would have been better for customers if they had of used a popular battery such as the 18650, but maybe there was more quality control or profitability to be had with a custom battery as they chose to do.

Either way, its a quick moving game and we are seeing prices coming down along with better functionality added to the units, so like any tech ever, you have to decide if it's best to bite the bullet and jump on the lastest + greatest or hold out for the price to go down when something new comes out.

Second hand units are on the market as lads who like the newest gear are upgrading.
    If you're buying something it might be worth considering the brand you buy. In the event you plan to upgrade at some point it will be easier to sell something that people have faith in, like something that is tried and tested with good warranty and available spare parts.

Would the newer cheaper thermal devices be as good as the older middle of the range devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Would the newer cheaper thermal devices be as good as the older middle of the range devices?

If you mean would the Hik thermal that can be got for around £439 now hold it's own against the Pulsar units that were 1650 euro a few years ago the short answer is no.

Pulsar are widely acknowledged as the most reliable affordable units available, there is new stuff coming out all the time but you don't see secondhand Pulsar units going cheap and you probably won't either for a long time.

Good thermal doesn't depreciate at the rate other shooting gear does because as word is spreading how awesome it is more and more people want to dip their toe in the water so used units fairly priced are snapped up straight away.

There are dedicated night vision forums out there and there are lots of discussions on different brands, their reliability, warranty, back up service should something go wrong and user friendliness.

Read everything you can before you decide if you are going to invest or not but you probably need to be reading the experiences of users outside of Ireland because it hasn't really taken off here in a big way yet.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Is there a 18650 battery in Pulsar APS 3 battery unit. This battery unit is in the Pulsar Axiom key 22.

Pulsar Axion key xm22 for £807.90, delivered to your door in the Republic of Ireland.

Code is OPWBF10. I have no affiliation with the seller. I just think it's a good deal to get into the world of thermal.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pulsar-axion-key-xm22-thermal-monocular-320x40-12um-sensor

Pulsar Axion key xm22 for £807.90, delivered to your door in the Republic of Ireland.

Code is OPWBF10. I have no affiliation with the seller. I just think it's a good deal to get into the world of thermal.

Who is selling them.

Who is selling them.

Apologies I have added the link now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

I bought a axion key xm30 at the weekend, loving it sofar while testing in the garden and local park.
    I will try to remember to post back here after using it while out hunting.

I hunt Squirrel and rats with a air rifle mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Oh and I can demo to anyone willing to meet in South Dublin.

My mate has the m30 (I think that's what it's called). We could be out for 4 or 5 hours and he'd have it on for most of that.
    He recently got a second battery.
    I haven't noticed him changing it while we were out, but maybe that will change with the longer nights approaching.

How does he find the xm30 for spotting. It seems to have a narrower field of view than the xm22. What kind of distance can a fox be spotted at?

When thermal devices break down where do you get them repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

Personally don’t rate the axion range. Worst one I looked through was the axion key. It was horrible. Granted its a small handheld about the size of a Leica rangefinder. I’ve a helion and it’s like looking though a HD tv compared to it. What’s the detection range on them axion models ???

Maybe Rows Grower should continue the conversation on thermals on the thermal thread and not the "Buy and sell" forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Maybe Rows Grower should continue the conversation on thermals on the thermal thread and not the "Buy and sell" forum.

I've already tried to help you with my experience on thermals on this thread and by private message.

I was also only trying to help you in the "Buy and sell" thread by pointing out what you were looking for is now available brand new within your budget.

To be honest with ya I think I've given you enough of my time.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

All appreciated. Thermal is a learning curve for me. There are so many different thermal devices out there. So I am hoping to get the one that best suits my needs. Let's face it they are not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Let us know when you do see a fox through it. It might be worth a purchase. Nice to know the capabilities of the unit first.

Brilliant bit of kit, have one over a year now, clear night see foxes several hundred yards, only thing thermal gives you a Hot spot, you need to get used to the size, movement and shape of animal, once you do unbelievable, \i use a pulsar NV on 223,that will then confirm your quarry, anywhere near Limerick I can give you a view before you purchase, or anyone for that matter

Which model have you.

Advertisement