Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019-2020 Off Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,939 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

MLB.com reporting that Beltran is stepping down.

Probably for the best. I was actually hoping they'd have hired Eduardo Perez, maybe now they will.

Of course, Terry Collins is still on staff! Woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So they part ways wit Beltran but Jose Reyes beats up his wife, no problem we’ll sigh him?

Felix Hernandez has signed with Atlanta. Only a minor league deal but I didn’t see him ending up there.

Felix Hernandez has signed with Atlanta. Only a minor league deal but I didn’t see him ending up there.

I think most people expected Miami because that's where his wife moved a couple of years ago. Atlanta is definitely an odd choice, they expect to compete next season and unless something has drastically changed I don't see how he can help with that effort.

• Advertisement

Only 2 HOF inductees voted in this year - Derek Jeter and Larry Walker. Jeter narrowly missed getting 100%.

Only 2 HOF inductees voted in this year - Derek Jeter and Larry Walker. Jeter narrowly missed getting 100%.

Jeter missed by 1. Weird. I thought he'd be unanimous, but people gotta be contrary I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I also think it is a good thing he didn't get 100%. I would have had a concern that, over time, getting into the Hall wouldn't be seen as good enough without getting the unaninmous support of voters as an extra sense of 'look how great I am!'. This nicely nips this bs in the bud so I say well done to the one awkward voter!

Luis Rojas confirmed as new Mets coach.

Seems like a popular hire if the reporters I follow on Twitter are anything to go by but apparently he was told during the first round of interviews that he didn't have enough experience.

• Advertisement

Sad news about Tony Fernandez, gravely ill in hospital. I'd forgotten he was briefly a Met. Classy player wherever he played.

https://twitter.com/CDNBaseballHOF/status/1223435713154179072

Betts and Price to Dodgers. Pederson to Angels.

Steve Cohen backing out of deal to buy Mets.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/04/mets-fans-panicking-with-steve-cohen-sale-in-jeopardy/

Time to start drinking.

Happy with that.
    Most disappointed to lose Verdugo (sic).
    He could turn into a very good player over the next few years, and looks like the type of player who will be a fan favourite. I think the deal works for both sides. Short Term for the Dodgers, and Long Term for the Red Sox.

Would still like the Dodgers to improve their Starting pitching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Igotadose wrote: »
    Steve Cohen backing out of deal to buy Mets.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/04/mets-fans-panicking-with-steve-cohen-sale-in-jeopardy/

Time to start drinking.

Apparently they want to stay in charge for 5 years after Cohen buys them. Crazy stuff

Billy Hamilton to the Giants.

R.I.P. Roger Kahn, author of "The Boys of Summer."

https://apnews.com/070eed808af659d7ec09485825b8293d

ShyMets wrote: »
    Apparently they want to stay in charge for 5 years after Cohen buys them. Crazy stuff

That was crazy when you think about it. Please give us $2.5 billion or whatever to buy our team but we're still going to be in charge and will be making all the decisions for the next 5 years. No wonder he walked. Who in their right mind would sign up for that?

The Twins are reported to have pulled out of the deal so I presume Boston/LA will have to find another team or the deal can't go through?

The Twins are reported to have pulled out of the deal so I presume Boston/LA will have to find another team or the deal can't go through?

Betts/Price deal completed but the Pederson one to the Angels got cancelled.

• Advertisement

Betts/Price deal completed but the Pederson one to the Angels got cancelled.

The story is that the Angels owner ran out of patience waiting for the other deal to close. Wonder if Dodgers will try and shop him around still, Pederson can't play left/centre field from the looks of it and obviously Betts will play in right.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the proposed playoff changes for 2022 are ridiculous?

7 teams in each league making it and teams getting to pick their opponent in the wild card round. Seems a bit gimmicky.

I quite like the low number of teams that make the playoffs as opposed to the NFL, NBA and NHL.

Hopefully it won’t happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Is it just me or does anyone else think the proposed playoff changes for 2022 are ridiculous?

7 teams in each league making it and teams getting to pick their opponent in the wild card round. Seems a bit gimmicky.

I quite like the low number of teams that make the playoffs as opposed to the NFL, NBA and NHL.

Its an attempt to regain some of the popularity that the game has lost. But it doesn't address the two fundamental issues: Games are too long and not enough action, in other words, get the ball in play more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Can't say I'm very much in favour of these proposals:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/13/will-mindbending-proposed-changes-to-mlbs-playoffs-change-the-game

At a pinch, making the Wild Card a best-of-three after a 162 game season might seem a little fairer. The rest seems bonkers!!

Also known as the "look! over here!" plan to distract from Astros cheating.

Also known as the "look! over here!" plan to distract from Astros cheating.

I think they'll have to come up with a more ridiculous playoff proposal to achieve that if today's press conference was anything to go by.

Anyone else sick of all of the Astro's talk?
    The last thing I'd want, is the Dodgers to retrospectively be given a Championship.
    I actually think, stick an asterisk beside the Astros title, and be done with it.

And we have our first stupid injury of the year.....

https://twitter.com/SteveGelbs/status/1229843660692480001

• Advertisement

Anyone else sick of all of the Astro's talk?
    The last thing I'd want, is the Dodgers to retrospectively be given a Championship.
    I actually think, stick an asterisk beside the Astros title, and be done with it.

I'm not at the sick of it stage yet. I'm actually quite enjoying it. When people like Mike Trout are speaking out, you know there's a few miles left in this yet. And the Astros and Manfred keep making it worse every time they open their mouths. It's funny how bad their explanations/apologies have been.

I heard some bloke turned up at Astros batting practice a day or so ago and banged a bin before running off. I'm looking forward to games starting, especially the regular season to see the ways fans and teams come up with ideas to slag off the Astros when they're playing them.

I'm with you on the vacating the title or awarding it to the Dodgers though. Everyone knows that the title is tainted, let's just leave it at that.

Advertisement