Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPs

• 04-08-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Thinking about getting an SUP.
    I don’t mind spending about 500... there seems to be a huge price gap. A lot of boards around 350-400 new then the top brands are all 1000€+.
    I don’t mind second hand if it’s worth getting the likes of starboard etc.
    what are people’s experiences?
    Plan to use it on a few lakes possibly a river nearby, and the odd time at the beach in small waves maybe.
    Possibly get the kids on it too...
    Anyone got recommendations??... I’m 70 kg can surf a little but haven’t actually tried an SUP.
    I think inflatable would suit best.
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

I use an aquaplanet sup and i can't fault it, Ive used in rivers, lakes and the sea. Bottom of the price range but it seems good quality, holding up to plenty of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks, picked one up. A “cross”... made by Gul.
    Haven’t tried it yet... I don’t think there’s much difference between any of them. Mine suited my budget.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

In February in bought a second hand O'Shea inflatable from a SUP School in Dublin. I was looking at new cheaper brands such as Aqua Marina, but i was advised to buy a better brand second hand board.

I paid €500, the retail new for €900 (Including all accessories) Happy with it so far, but havnt used it as much as I would have liked

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

If you have the mind to spend near about €450 then I would recommend you to go with iRocker SUP. Just referring it because it has the capacity to carry kids with you especially if you are willing to use for fishing. With high quality built, it would also allows you to put the weight near about 197kg on it. You can check the all details and specifications here https://www.paddleboardtips.com/irocker-inflatable-stand-up-paddle-board.

On the other hand, you can also consider Rider MSL. Yes, it also allows to carry the kids and have weight lifting capacity of 100kg. However, because its coming from Red Paddle that's why price is near about €1000. However, if you are willing to go with used SUP due to less budget then you should consider any Facebook community. However, its also challenging to get right deals with such groups but with some effort you would find the desire SUP and hopefully deal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Wonder if there has been any further recommendations on this?
    Have a kayak but with new car no roof rack I'm thinking this might be more viable for transport etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's be cheaper to buy a roof rack for the car or even use the same bars from old car and get new anchors for your new car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

New car wont take old anchors, bars wont be compatible with new anchors needed for roof rails, gonna be pricey enough and was always looking to get something a little less cumbersome to carry about as opposed to a kayak!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

youngblood wrote: »
    Wonder if there has been any further recommendations on this?
    Have a kayak but with new car no roof rack I'm thinking this might be more viable for transport etc

I reckon if you contact some of the SUP schools, obviously they are not using the SUPs now, and may have decent second hand ones for sale.

Advertisement