Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As the title says, this Toronto fan has ice water in her veins. Doesn't flinch a bit.

https://deadspin.com/this-blue-jays-fan-has-ice-water-in-her-veins-1833712718

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Stanton on the IL, expected to miss the rest of April.

In other news, Jay Bruce has now homered in 3 games in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

So the Mets are 3-1 with no fresh injuries.

Heady days indeed!!

ShyMets wrote: »
    So the Mets are 3-1 with no fresh injuries.

Heady days indeed!!

Remember they were 11-1 last year and we all know how that turned out...!!!

• Advertisement

Ronald Acuna signs extension with the Braves, 8 years $100. Youngest player (21) ever to get a $100m deal. A lot of players signing extensions this season as opposed to waiting and testing free agency. The Scott Boras way seems to be changing.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1112743398258208771

Probably won't stop them from booing the crap out of him. It's going to be great, him going up against Scherzer.

HR with bat flip for Harper. Seemed to be more Philly fans in the crowd at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

HR with bat flip for Harper. Seemed to be more Philly fans in the crowd at the time.

Serious flip too.

Personally I think the crowd booing him was always going to get him up for it.

Going to be a long 13 years of booing him if thats the mindset.

Nice to see Max K him though. But overall a poor enough performance again. Our bullpen is atrocious.

Could be a long season watching Harper and the Phillies be really good.

Serious flip too.

Not worth a beaning tonight though do you think?

EDIT - No, they walked him instead.

Tulowitzki left today's game with a calf strain, severity unknown as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

DeGrom on fire for the Mets last night

Not worth a beaning tonight though do you think?

EDIT - No, they walked him instead.

Yeah walked him and might continue to do it the entire season. Last night's rollercoaster was insane.

Turner hurt is gonna be a problem for us. Overall though with Soto and Robles we probably wont miss Harper all that much in the outfield.

Have to say I think this division is going to be insane this year. Mets, Phillies, Nationals and surely the Braves will improve ... gonna be crazy fun.

Yeah walked him and might continue to do it the entire season. Last night's rollercoaster was insane.

Turner hurt is gonna be a problem for us. Overall though with Soto and Robles we probably wont miss Harper all that much in the outfield.

Have to say I think this division is going to be insane this year. Mets, Phillies, Nationals and surely the Braves will improve ... gonna be crazy fun.

Very solid performance today (unfortunately!). Probably the best game from the bullpen. On the bright side, the Mets can't go 11-1 now.

Jay Bruce hit 2 home runs in today's game for 5 on the season and a tie for AL home run leader. (still only hitting .183 though)

Another in the series of bizarre injuries resulting in a trip to the IL. Boston's Brad Holt got poked in the eye by his 2 year old son!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26459578/red-sox-holt-hits-il-son-pokes-eye

Chris Davis is now 0-44 to start the season. 2 shy of the record for a position player.

Chris Davis is now 0-44 to start the season. 2 shy of the record for a position player.

I watched him pinch hit during the game on Saturday - guy looks totally lost and like he'll never get a hit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Another in the series of bizarre injuries resulting in a trip to the IL. Boston's Brad Holt got poked in the eye by his 2 year old son!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26459578/red-sox-holt-hits-il-son-pokes-eye

That would make a great topic in a general sports discussion - bizarre injuries.

Michael Saunders (I think), then of the Blue Jays, stepped on an outfield sprinkler a few years ago in Spring training and was lost for the season iirc. Didn't some sportsman injure himself sneezing a few years ago? Edwin Encarnacion once had a firework go off in his face. These are just off the top of my head.

mod9maple wrote: »
    That would make a great topic in a general sports discussion - bizarre injuries.

Michael Saunders (I think), then of the Blue Jays, stepped on an outfield sprinkler a few years ago in Spring training and was lost for the season iirc. Didn't some sportsman injure himself sneezing a few years ago? Edwin Encarnacion once had a firework go off in his face. These are just off the top of my head.

Kendrys Morales broke his leg while celebrating a walkoff grand slam.

• Advertisement

Mariners continue to tear it up and obliterate opponents, 12-5 against the Royals tonight. Encarnacion homered twice in the same inning. Jay Bruce is on 6 HR. Santana is a great addition to the team. Vogelbach is finding his groove and mashing anything that's left over the plate for him. I know they will slump eventually but it feels good right now.

I watched him pinch hit during the game on Saturday - guy looks totally lost and like he'll never get a hit again.

The team got 15 hits and scored 12 runs last night but he still went 0-5. His head must be destroyed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The team got 15 hits and scored 12 runs last night but he still went 0-5. His head must be destroyed at this stage.

Yeah a lot of focus on his every plate appearance now. Just makes it harder.

They need to sit him a lot more now, bring him in for left-handers and play the matchup and if it doesn't work it's demotion. He still has 3 years left on his massive contract, Orioles are in a bad place right now

There is a fair amount of bad luck involved in Davis current run as well. I watched a couple of clips from his last couple of games and he hit two absolute screamers of line drives straight into an outfielders glove. His drop off has been severe over the last couple of years but he was always going to be that type of guy HR or K. Live by it, die by it.

The contract is too big to demote him I think, especially when the Orioles are in such a massive rebuild phase. If he snaps the streak he could very well go on a hitting streak just from a pure luck perspective, along with the pressure lifted. One thing for sure when he actually gets a hit the crowd might very well explode as I think the Orioles fans even feel bad for him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Kind of obvious what's gone on with Davis no? Numbers gone drastically down since the drug suspension. Probably messed with his head as much as it did his power etc

Strange sequence of pitching for the Twins last night.

Walk
    Walk
    Walk
    Hit by Pitch
    Walk
    Walk
    Walk

7 batters getting on base in a row without getting a hit

• Advertisement

There is a fair amount of bad luck involved in Davis current run as well. I watched a couple of clips from his last couple of games and he hit two absolute screamers of line drives straight into an outfielders glove. His drop off has been severe over the last couple of years but he was always going to be that type of guy HR or K. Live by it, die by it.

The contract is too big to demote him I think, especially when the Orioles are in such a massive rebuild phase. If he snaps the streak he could very well go on a hitting streak just from a pure luck perspective, along with the pressure lifted. One thing for sure when he actually gets a hit the crowd might very well explode as I think the Orioles fans even feel bad for him at this stage.

I glanced at the MLB app on my phone this morning and saw under the Orioles/A's game 'Davis 4 RBI Game' so thought he had at least had one night where he did something right. On closer inspection though it was Khris Davis from the A's and all The Orioles' Davis got was a pinch running spot in the bottom of the ninth. Ah well.

Advertisement