Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anything like peleton in Ireland

Options

Comments

I’ve recently bought one, subsided by my ‘wellbeing’ reimbursement at work (not sure I’d have committed if all out of my own pocket). Subscribed through my UK address and then drove it over here. The main factor for me was how unbelievably smooth and quiet it is. It’s a pretty amazing piece of hardware. Not a sound from it.....not so much as a low hum....even at full power. So that means it can be used any time of the day or night without annoying downstairs or next door neighbours. It is literally silent

Have come to like some of the classes and is definitely helping with my power when on the road.

My main concern, and reason for posting, is how i get it looked at if anything goes wrong (though I don’t expect it to as look after it very carefully).. Don’t mind driving it up north for a service, because presumably nothing available in Dublin. Has anyone had any experience of getting it serviced / repaired in Ireland, or are we completely on our own

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Feedback on the Peloton bike:

I received my bike in the last two weeks and have been delighted with it. The lead time is < 2 weeks as orders for NI ship through Dublin.

It’s a nuisance that they don’t sell directly into Ireland, however if a friend lets you use a 0044 phone number and a NI address your can get around that. Once you get an email from peloton about shipping, you can contact the Dublin based logistics company. They were flexible with me if I could collect the bike from their warehouse.

The bike comes almost fully assembled. You need to bolt in the monitor and do one or two small pieces. I am hopeless at DIY and was able to sort it all out in about 40 minutes.

The system is very user friendly and easy to use. I have the bike in my kitchen. It has a small footprint- 2 ft by 4 ft, but I recommend the Matt, as users will sweat plenty in the workouts. Having the bike isn’t he kitchen makes it very easy and conducive to use. I have used it 9 of the first 10 days, taking classes ranging from 20 mins to 45 mins long.

My 3 teenagers have also gotten good usage so far- whilst the system is expensive to start with, the monthly subscription is for the bike itself connecting, and not per user. I feel that for €45 per month, all of my family can very easily take a class whenever we want, so whilst apprehensive of the cost before taking the plunge, feel you still get good value from the subscription.

One feature the teenagers Liked was they could input their favourite musician, ie Juice world and they then had a list of about 10 classes based on his music and similar themes.
    Our consensus is that the classes are very good, and the coaches all push/encourage you throughout. Sound quality is also very good.

The shoes are daunting at first, but I bought a second pair for my wife and daughter (with a set of Shimano SPD Cleats) and they work fine- they are cheaper than a second set of peleton cleats.

Lastly I didn’t know that peleton have a referral system, so if you use a referral code from a user when ordering the bike, you will get £100 credit for clothing. Here is my code if you wanted to use it: N4QBCJ.

If anybody has an particular questions on the bike ask away, or send me a DM. My only regret is not ordering earlier (due to concerns on the cost and their not selling to Ireland)

I don’t have the Answer to what happens if the bike breaks - however it is a very sturdy piece of kit, so hopefully that’s a bridge I won’t have to cross. Incidentally I think the bike weights 135 lbs- I felt as though it weighted a tonne when moving into my kitchen, so it will not be easy to move upstairs in a house if you were thinking it is easy move. A lot of the weight seems to be in the base, but this helps give it a very good anchor when you are out of the saddle on any particular ride/class.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Tneres a #pelotonireland tag for all the Irish users also.......nice to do a high5 to other irish users when online

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublinbay34

tropics001 wrote: »
    we have one. got it shipped to NI then drove it down to dublin. there was one in our NY apartment building gym for a couple of years so we knew we would use it and not get sick of it quickly. my wife was the main decider so i left her go with it... she loves it. certainly it is expensive.

i like it a lot. if i have a 40 minute break between work calls i can jump on an on-demand ride, or see what is coming up as a live class over next few hours.

social is the obvious main draw. competing against the rest of users who have taken the class is very motivating. i lost this feature for a day or two when the clocks changed, and that showed me just how much i need it. i try to get in about top 10% of people who have taken the class. then like a normal race you will have people around you who you bump up and down on the leaderboard. i follow a bunch of old friends from USA so i can filter on just these if they have also taken the class. i'm into golf so i follow a lot of those guys, i can just about keep up with lee westwood but mcilroy is depressingly fast.
    it does very well at tracking against previous efforts, so you can target a personal best for each of the class times tracked separately, so you have a 20 min personal best and also a 30, 45 min etc. it's measured on output (cadence * resistance) so after 10 minutes my output might be 27, and it tracks that my personal best at this point in the past was, say, 29.

price is obviously a downside, also lack of availability in ireland. i'm concerned as to what might happen if the bike breaks. although dealings with customer care so far have been good. the classes may not be for everyone - particularly some of the girl instructors treat it like a therapy session. it can get a bit much at times. but you find the instructors you click with, just like anything else. it's a premium bit of kit, packaged very nicely at a premium price. not for everyone but there certainly seems to be a market for it.

Similarly I used to go to the studio in NY and had one in my apartment buildings gym. I got one shipped directly to Ireland through Peloton in May 2019.

I simply emailed them and they happened to be doing a trial rollout in Ireland and got it two weeks later. I randomly bumped into the delivery driver installing one in an office in Grafton street before the lockdown. He told me he was based in Dublin and had been delivering quite a lot around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cronuts

Saw your thread. I have a Keiser M3i. It’s a beast and also pricey but it works with Peloton digital app, Zwift also, and any other app you can think of and I use it nearly every day <only with peloton> . Bought the bike when lock down hit as I’ve been out of work since May and knew I was finishing up and didn’t know how long it would take to get back to work and needed to not go crazy and lazy.
    You miss some functionality of the Peloton bike as in the leaderboard (mostly) and being able to talk to people but you can save all your metrics to Strava or MPaceline (Peloton digital companion app). I love the power zone cycling workouts (they absolutely improve your cycling). Seriously scorch the calories and I’ve been getting really fit. The strength classes are good too. Cancelled my gym membership (more because I need a job), but may never go back.
    I was so impressed with the whole setup I bought a few shares in them too as during lockdown everyone was jumping on it in the states and they have since rocketed. Might be too late to make gains on that front though. I
    Don’t own a road bike but will get one by next summer as I’ve gotten a lot stronger at cycling in a short period of time in an enjoyable way and I can pretty much thank Peloton for that. -lus I can just get on it throughout winter without even caring about the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Similarly I used to go to the studio in NY and had one in my apartment buildings gym. I got one shipped directly to Ireland through Peloton in May 2019.

I simply emailed them and they happened to be doing a trial rollout in Ireland and got it two weeks later. I randomly bumped into the delivery driver installing one in an office in Grafton street before the lockdown. He told me he was based in Dublin and had been delivering quite a lot around Ireland.

Anyone know if they have any plans to actually ship to Ireland?

If I got one in the UK, I have a good friend there who would have no issue letting me use his address and forward shipping it to me, however does the app care your IP is in Ireland or any other potential restrictions with the software using it in Ireland? Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Even though I think the pricing and idea of this is fairly ludicrous when when compared to some of the stuff you can get (Wattbikes, Wahoo, Elite trainers etc), passing through arnotts I some something similar to peleton.

It's a fairly direct competitor called echelon, similar idea, maybe not as rounded yet but about half the price it seems

eastie17 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they have any plans to actually ship to Ireland?

If I got one in the UK, I have a good friend there who would have no issue letting me use his address and forward shipping it to me, however does the app care your IP is in Ireland or any other potential restrictions with the software using it in Ireland? Thanks

Hi,
    I have had no issue with accessing either the app from my phone of the bike itself communicating with the peloton server.
    The one restraining factor when ordering was the need for a UK prefix on a mobile phone, as once you had an address up north the order could then be accepted on line.

As further feedback, when I bought the bike, I was sceptical as to how often I or my family would use it, given there was still also a monthly subscription fee.Three months in I am now 90+ classes down (equates to 45 plus days, as they always recommend a 5-10 minute warm down). The bike also has no limits on the number of users, so I find that 2-3 of my family use the bike daily.
    The variety of classes is also excellent. I like the climbs and HIIT classes, and there are always 5-6 new classes of each weekly along with a massive back catalogue of classes.
    Highly recommended if you are thinking of taking the plunge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Thanks Rathminor, I have used them alot when travelling and using hotel gyms in the US, had to get up earlier and earlier to get on it which says something. I do like them and think it will definetly be used, I do crossfit 3 times a week but class size are restricted to 7 now and its getting more and more difficult to get in so having one of them would be worth it.
    When you mention the UK phone number, is that just to place the order, or is their a dependency on the number as part of your membership after that?

Thanks Rathminor, I have used them alot when travelling and using hotel gyms in the US, had to get up earlier and earlier to get on it which says something. I do like them and think it will definetly be used, I do crossfit 3 times a week but class size are restricted to 7 now and its getting more and more difficult to get in so having one of them would be worth it.
    When you mention the UK phone number, is that just to place the order, or is their a dependency on the number as part of your membership after that?

It’s just for ordering. My mate up north had an Irish mobile number so I couldn’t use that when ordering, but I used his wife’s number which worked great.
    Previously I had phoned up their customer service, but they wouldn’t take a combination of NI address and non 0044 phone number...
    You create your account on the bike itself, so that works fine from Dublin.
    I also saw last night that peloton have now introduced a higher spec bike with a 24” monitor this week, which rotates 360 degrees and can also be used for cardio.. it’s called the bike+.
    With the launch of the new unit, the price for the packages with the standard bike has fallen by £250 which is a good discount, especially when combined with Sterling haven fallen in recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Does the app work down south?

j

Did you figure this out? I just signed up for the free month ...I already have a turbo trainer and use Zwift, but I wanted to try the Pelaton Spin classes....but I can't find the app in the Android app store. It doesn't seem to be available in the Republic. I downloaded it to my firestick, but thats just a few videos. I suppose you need the App to connect it to my trainer??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

marcus2000 wrote: »
    Did you figure this out? I just signed up for the free month ...I already have a turbo trainer and use Zwift, but I wanted to try the Pelaton Spin classes....but I can't find the app in the Android app store. It doesn't seem to be available in the Republic. I downloaded it to my firestick, but thats just a few videos. I suppose you need the App to connect it to my trainer??

I sideloaded it to my phone, signed up and got the one month free trial. Working perfectly and now casting to TV from phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Can the bike be used in an old fashioned way - by setting the time, type of program (strength/fat burner etc.) and level? (I heard about preloaded classes but that's not what I'm on).

I understand that its main value comes from the live online classes support, but it'd be nice to get an alternative when no live classes are available by whatever reason.

Can anyone share their experience with it?

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    Can the bike be used in an old fashioned way - by setting the time, type of program (strength/fat burner etc.) and level? (I heard about preloaded classes but that's not what I'm on).

I understand that its main value comes from the live online classes support, but it'd be nice to get an alternative when no live classes are available by whatever reason.

Can anyone share their experience with it?

Yes it can - effectively you would opt for a scenic ride, and then would set your own cadence and resistance so that you can cycle for as long as you want.

In reality there is such an array of classes, you will never run out of classes from the back catalogue. I also find that as all the classes are available, and your metrics are tracked on an as live basis, you don’t need to take the classes live. I have taken circa 125 different cycling classes to date and non of them have been live.

Classes will range from 5 mins to 75 mins, with a lot of focus on HIIT sessions. Highly recommended.

Anyone any experience with Nordictrack? Same thing but has Irish retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Still not possible to buy these in Ireland? Is there an easy way to get one? I presume all the parcel motel type services would either not transport something that size or else charge a stupid amount?

Have just read through the thread and don't have an NI address I can use, ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Still not possible to buy these in Ireland? Is there an easy way to get one? I presume all the parcel motel type services would either not transport something that size or else charge a stupid amount?

Have just read through the thread and don't have an NI address I can use, ****.

no still not possible, they are not licensed to sell in Ireland. Thats not changing anytime soon.

Do you have anyone through work who may have family or friends up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Weepsie wrote: »
    Peleton are being sued for the unlawful use of over 1000 songs. This is a crowd who have also tried to sue some competitors out of business, sued a layperson for using the term Peleton in something and tried to copyright the word Peleton, and have ben sued by the designer of their bikes for infringing copyright.

They seem like an awful shower to be honest.

God I hate when people try copyright words like that. Those supposedly hip cool Brewdog lads are shockingly bad for trying to copyright common brewing terms

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

jrosen wrote: »
    no still not possible, they are not licensed to sell in Ireland. Thats not changing anytime soon.

Do you have anyone through work who may have family or friends up north?

Can't think of any off the top of my head but will see if I can figure something, thanks.

Need to give both their address and phone number right?

Can't think of any off the top of my head but will see if I can figure something, thanks.

Need to give both their address and phone number right?

Not sure, I haven't gone through the process myself yet.

• Advertisement

Not sure, I haven't gone through the process myself yet.

You need a NÍ address and UK phone number to register your order, but once the order is logged, you can get around the system and get the bike redirected or collected. See my earlier post.

I got my bike in June and have racked up over 200 classes since ( one class plus one cool down ride each time). It’s a great piece of exercise equipment and the classes are excellent and addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭topdecko

Anyone any experience with Nordictrack? Same thing but has Irish retailers.

Afraid i had a poor experience recently with Nordic Track. Had to return two bikes due to defects and there are recurrent issues with the software. Keeps buffering and wrecking workouts. Would avoid - good idea poor execution. They don't have live classes which is a drawback as well.

As regards Peloton
    1 How difficult is it to get delivered to Irish address? Why are they not selling in ireland - surely just need distributer or something.
    2 Does the app work in Ireland - can you access live spin classes? Or do you need to use VPN etc?
    3 Given my recent issues with defective machine I am obviously concerned if it develops an issue.

What is next best compromise in people opinion? Tried Nordictrack and have had poor experience.

thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What does Peloton do specifically with the social aspect that others don't? This seems to be the key selling point I'm hearing about. You'd get an entry level bike and a very good turbo for a lot less.

Not only is the bike very expensive, it's also £39 a month which is a lot of money for a subscription...

I have zero interest in Peloton, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What does Peloton do specifically with the social aspect that others don't? This seems to be the key selling point I'm hearing about. You'd get an entry level bike and a very good turbo for a lot less.

Not only is the bike very expensive, it's also £39 a month which is a lot of money for a subscription...

I have zero interest in Peloton, just curious.

Its a bit of a w@nker cult, think those that have a stiffy for Apple products. I'll be attacked now in a sec for saying it, but its what it is.

Kickr Bike and Zwift if you have that kinda money and some sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What does Peloton do specifically with the social aspect that others don't?
    i assume peloton is more classes driven? that you've a 'leader' shouting instructions at you from somewhere.

it's the proprietary nature of the hardware that'd have me running for the hills. is there any company offering similar classes, but not tied to their specific hardware?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »
    Its a bit of a w@nker cult, think those that have a stiffy for Apple products. I'll be attacked now in a sec for saying it, but its what it is.

Kickr Bike and Zwift if you have that kinda money and some sense.

To be fair you could say the same thing about alot of people with a Kickr Bike and Zwift, each to their own.

I won't attack you over it, Peloton is not my cuppa tea for a variety of reasons, Zwift was good but also not my cuppa tea in the end but let people do what they want, I say let them at it.

Guess Im part of the wanker cult. lol

I know nothing about other bikes tbh. But I used peloton when I lived in the US and loved the class side of it. It was a great alternative for me when I couldnt make my regular in person class. My building had them in their gym so I wasnt paying anything extra to use them.

I love my spin classes, but there is limited spin in my area with really only 1/2 instructors that are any way good. It really takes a certain type to make a spin class something you love and actually look forward to doing. So for me, someone who needs to be instructed peloton worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know nothing about other bikes tbh. But I used peloton when I lived in the US and loved the class side of it. It was a great alternative for me when I couldnt make my regular in person class. My building had them in their gym so I wasnt paying anything extra to use them.

I love my spin classes, but there is limited spin in my area with really only 1/2 instructors that are any way good. It really takes a certain type to make a spin class something you love and actually look forward to doing. So for me, someone who needs to be instructed peloton worked a treat.

Is there really no spin class options with existing training platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Me too.......what’s great about is the instructors are very motivating and you’re competing directly with others. It also appeals to everyone in the family as it’s not only spinning, but also includes running, strength and conditioning, yoga, cardio, floor exercises etc.

I considered Zwift, and first of all, to do it properly requires a properly connected solution like KICKR spending up to €1000 or more for that, plus some peripherals. Secondly they are noisy and I didn’t want an actual bike that needs maintenance and oiling in the house. Thirdly, the zwift setup is limited to cycling only and very focussed on that, which is fine if that’s what you’re into.

Peloton is just more accessible and appealing in a family environment, it’s fun, great instructors and really great all round workouts.

Horses for courses.........not a wan7er cult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

My 2 cents...

I got a nordictrack treadmill during lockdown 1 - Cost 2K Euro from McSports including iFit for free for 1 year. I already have Kickr Core (Turbo for my bike) and Zwift so I'm covered for cycling.

I was using the treadmill with Zwift a few times which works great via Stryd (Footpod) but then I noticed the wife using iFit and the programs it has on it - there is live sessions you can join. I was actually impressed with it tbh - it automatically controls the speed and incline of the treadmill during the workout and I even did the 2019 Boston Marathon course (in 5 parts) with one of the trainers - Ashley Paulsen - Olympic athlete. It does crash every now and then thou. It's an Android device. One tip if you buy one, just get the small screen 1750 model no need for the bigger screen because you can cast to your TV for free :) Just search on youtube you'll see the hack. iFit includes strength training, Yoga, running, cycling all of which are pretty good - the app isn't the greatest to navigate thats my only grip.

Advertisement