Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

my interpretation of it was that he was Robin all along, but just didnt wear the costume or use the name. He was the same character if you get what I mean. Is he not a bit "small" to play batman though?

I think we have to remember this was a trilogy ending movie, it wasn't meant to be made with another movie in mind.

Throughout the movie Bruce showed he didn't trust people to take the technology he developed and use it for good. I think the ending was more about Bruce moving on and actually finding someone else he could entrust with the tools that in theory could be used by bad people (Like the way Bane got his hands on the hidden Wayne enterprise weaponry).

Also as far as I know Robin did become Batman at one point in the comic books. He was also Nightwing, no reason he actually has to become The Batman, the tools were left for him to fight crime more so than wear Batmans costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Well it's hard to see it go anywhere from here anyway. I think it's left for us to interpret. I didn't actually gather that he was Robin while I was watching it last night. What with his name not being Dick Grayson and all. But yeah, Robin was Batman in the comics for a while. I do think it would be a bad move to start doing a franchise led by Robin though. Whoever were given that task would have to realise that it couldn't be as succesful. All hypothetically.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

ricero wrote: »
    when was killer croc referenced ? i know people think the sniper during the shoot out scene before gordon enters the sewers is dead shot

pretty much 2 mins after that and if you look at the sniper in the quick shot he has bullets sewn in to the outfit the same way he does in the arkham city game, also during the stock exchange, did anyone catch how bane was wearing the brown leather jacket and red helmet was very similar to the red hood outfit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think we have to remember this was a trilogy ending movie, it wasn't meant to be made with another movie in mind.
    In saying that, what about the JLA? There is big rumblings about a movie being made of that team ala the Avengers especially with man of steel out next year. Should a movie like that be made in 5-10 years, you'd wonder who would play Batman?

But I suppose who knows, we might get a batman beyond type film in a few years with levitt as batman as if my memory is correct for those cartoons, that the batman was small and very agile in those cartoons. The emphasis was on speed and not strength, so levitt could play him fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Whoever plays Batman in the reboot that they're doing next, is going to play him in the Justice League movie. That is apparently what they're building towards, long term, if all goes according to plan. I'm pretty sure this has been talked about in the off-topic thread at some stage as well. Christopher Nolan was adamant he wanted nothing to do with the League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭weareallmarks

saw this on saturday night and was completely let down

bane and his downton abbey voice, hathaway looked great but just tried to recreate pfeiffer....

why did bane do all this? he ended up being a pussy. when wayne manor is sold are we meant to believe that it covered the debts of the company when they made such a big deal about the company losing half its money?

bane says he was born in the dark when it was actually yer woman al ghul''s daughter?

thats only the first half of the questions....it looked amazing, but nolan struggles with actual stories.....

Just remembered the bat signal at the end. Was that done to imply Robin would be Batman in Nolans world or let Gordan/the audience know Wayne was okay (maybe both).

why did bane do all this? he ended up being a pussy. when wayne manor is sold are we meant to believe that it covered the debts of the company when they made such a big deal about the company losing half its money?

bane says he was born in the dark when it was actually yer woman al ghul''s daughter?

Bane did all this for the girl. Even though he was thrown out of the league of shadows Talia went back to him. Also he is a pretty despicable bloke so he would have done for lols. He took pleasure in other people pain. Like the Joker before him.

Who said Wayne manor was part of Wayne Enterprises. Would Bruce not have has his own money, assets outside the companies?

bane said he was born in the dark Yes, he didn't say he was born in the Pit!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭weareallmarks

bane doing this for a girl? that makes him look like a pussy. he is meant to be a machine that was too badass for the league of shadows...

they said the manor or its contents (cant remember) was used to pay off wayne enterprises debts. the leftovers for alfred...wouldnt be much left...

killer croc was NOT referenced! they where talking about giant crocodiles in the sewers because that is a legend in new york...

i thought it looked amazing, the characters looked great. the dialogue was far better than the dark knight. bane was great for the first half, everythng was strong for the first half then it went off a cliff. bane shouldnt do anything for a woman. the joker didnt in dark knight .... he did in the original (and best), but it was a better more believable make sense film.

nuclear bombs shouldnt be banged off buildings.

when bane reads out the speech gordon wrote, why didnt anyone say 'eh........that could have been written by anyone'?

why does bane sound like he is from downton abbey?

the last fight in the crowd of people looses intensity because of the amount of action...the first fight was brilliant!

the bat flying thing looked like a beatle...

i think i take my batman a bit too seriously...

rant over......need valium ;)
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    Just remembered the bat signal at the end. Was that done to imply Robin would be Batman in Nolans world or let Gordan/the audience know Wayne was okay (maybe both).

this is a good question....add it to the pile of questions...

how did batman survive?

how did the bomb not go off when he banged it off every building in gotham?

why was bane a pussy?

ok i must go now....

Bane did all this for the girl. Even though he was thrown out of the league of shadows Talia went back to him. Also he is a pretty despicable bloke so he would have done for lols. He took pleasure in other people pain. Like the Joker before him.

Who said Wayne manor was part of Wayne Enterprises. Would Bruce not have has his own money, assets outside the companies?

bane said he was born in the dark Yes, he didn't say he was born in the Pit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

bane doing this for a girl? that makes him look like a pussy. he is meant to be a machine that was too badass for the league of shadows...

they said the manor or its contents (cant remember) was used to pay off wayne enterprises debts. the leftovers for alfred...wouldnt be much left...

killer croc was NOT referenced! they where talking about giant crocodiles in the sewers because that is a legend in new york...

i thought it looked amazing, the characters looked great. the dialogue was far better than the dark knight. bane was great for the first half, everythng was strong for the first half then it went off a cliff. bane shouldnt do anything for a woman. the joker didnt in dark knight .... he did in the original (and best), but it was a better more believable make sense film.

nuclear bombs shouldnt be banged off buildings.

when bane reads out the speech gordon wrote, why didnt anyone say 'eh........that could have been written by anyone'?

why does bane sound like he is from downton abbey?

the last fight in the crowd of people looses intensity because of the amount of action...the first fight was brilliant!

the bat flying thing looked like a beatle...

i think i take my batman a bit too seriously...

rant over......need valium ;)

In Batman #489, Killer Croc attacks a shopping mall. After delivering several blows to Croc, Batman is distracted by a glimpse of Bane Croc then grabs Batman and tries to break his back again. He fails, and Bane pits himself against Croc, breaking his arms. He is then put back into arkham.

When Bane helps get Batman's rogues gallery out of Arkham in the knightfall saga, Croc goes after Bane. While in the sewers, he smells Bane and goes after him and the two fight each other atop a ledge.

i too take the bat way to seriously;)

Loyalty doesn't make Bane a pussy, he was loyal to the person that saved him from the Pit. Well thats mytake on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

my interpretation of it was that he was Robin all along, but just didnt wear the costume or use the name. He was the same character if you get what I mean. Is he not a bit "small" to play batman though?

I'd imagine that in whatever incarnation is coming next, if he's even used that is, he would become Nightwing rather than Robin or the new Batman. Batman's legacy has been immoratalised in his sacrifice for Gotham so becoming the new Batman wouldn't work in that sense. Taking on the mantle of Gotham's new protector as Nightwing would though and it would seem the logical choice in order to cover up his identity and real name (Robin), but then he goes by Blake as well so...

Would've preferred that when he picked up the gear bag he would be acknowledged with a simple, "Thank you Mr. Grayson" rather than Robin. I get that it's a cheeky nod to when Nolan said there wouldn't be any Robin in the film, but still :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Personally, I was disappointed with the film.

Bane: His voice was distracting. His manner seemed odd - I was surprised after the fact that it was actually Tom Hardy doing the voice because, it all looked a bit David Prowse. At times it didn't look like the man on set was actually talking at all and that they'd add it all in Post. He was physically a match for Batman, but on-screen it didn't amount to much.

Maybe because he comes from the reserve team of Batman Bad guys, it went against him. There just wasn't the hook. He had a hard task following Heath Ledger's Joker - every time he was on screen you were worried because he didn't seem to have a plan; there was no scheme, no method to the madness; it was madness for madness sake.

Catwoman: An interesting character, that brought a lighter tone to the film. She was wily and able to play all sides of a situation to her advantage, able to unarm attackers in many ways - not just high-kicking. In the scene where the police track down the governer, how she manages to play the 'poor screaming girl taken hostage' to her advantage was really good.

Blake: A really good character, fleshed out really quickly and you rooted for him through the film. He had the hope to get everyone through it and wasn't afraid to try to do the right thing - the moral compass of the film, if you will. The last scene of the film sets it up that if they wanted to, he could take over the mantle and I think it would be interesting.
    Definitely lost points for the 'Legal name' rubbish. Many groaned in the cinema at that.

Batman: Apparently this was a Batman film, but he wasn't actually on-screen or doing Bat-things for about 75% of the film. And that 'batman' voice... honestly.

Also, some things like the 'ticking time bomb' and flying the bomb out to sea (after clanging it around a few times) just didn't gel with the overall tone of Begins and Dark Knight.

Visually, it was stunning, and the deserve to be applauded that (for the most part) they actually use hundreds of extras in a scene or create actual environments rather than tons of green screen and post-processing cut-and-paste of crowds.

Audio, likewise, was excellent. Apart from the aforementioned 'Bane' voice mess up. The soundtrack from Hanz Zimmer really adds to the tone of the film.

Overall, it was a poor relation to the previous two films. Which is strange because it was produced on a much bigger scale, but I think that the story and the bad guy just didn't measure up so it felt a little 'flat'.

As a trilogy, it's a bit of a soft note to finish on, but it shouldn't take away from Nolan's amazing work on the Franchise. Playing it 'for real' was a master stroke and brought cartoon films out to the mainstream and accepted by a larger audience.

I would agree with Chris Nolan's desire not to be associated with a Justice League film. It wouldn't be worth tarnishing himself with that. It certainly only seems like a grab by DC to get some of the Marvel cash that the Avengers are coining in.

It's strange play (considering Dark Knight is one of the highest grossing films of all time), and may backfire spectacularly as they would weaken the strength of the Batman brand to try to give others a boost (Wonder Woman, etc.).

We'll see how it all turns out after the Superman reboot in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Having now seen the film twice it definitely doesn't have the rewatch value of the Dark Knight(a movie I've watched atleast 100 times. Mimimum) although i absolutely loved it the first time, the second time alot of the flaws are far far more prominent.

I loved Bane. I think he's was an absolutely menacing character for 90% of the film. Basically up until the final fight and its ultimate reveal. My only real gripes about the Movie, where the Miranda Tate character, who's motives and reveal where pretty obvious from the start. And lack of Batman in the middle of the film, also the lack of Alfred for the majority of the film was a disappointment for me, especially given Michael Caines wonderfully heartbreaking and honest performance.

Christian Bale was excellent as was Anne Hathaway, and she definitely shut a lot of the internet comic book fanboys up. Who bitched and moaned about her not being sexy enough to be catwoman:pac:

As a trilogy though, its now the greatest of All time ahead of Star Wars III-VI and LOTR in my honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Fcuking epic. A little slow at the start but once it got going it flew by. Probably the first 45 or so minutes were slow but the next two hours were brilliant.

I didn't expect much from Bane considering he was never one of the big villains, but he was bad ass until his final scene. Someone was shouting at him earlyish in the film and I was already thinking "that's a bad idea". Shows how well they built him I guess.

The ending was a little obvious, but nothing to complain about. You can't kill Batman off, he had to be alive even if he doesn't dawn the mask again.

I really, really, really hope they don't do a reboot. We'll get the exact same story we have gotten several times already. Even if you need a new director and a new Batman, keep it going without a reboot. Still plenty of villains to get through. I'd accept Robin being included in future if it meant continuing the story. Keep Batman in his own universe. He doesn't fit with the likes of Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

A reboot is already been given the green light! script and everything!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

when is this reboot landing? Because i felt that the Spider-Man reboot was a few years too soon. Like Spider-Man 3 came out 5 years ago; Batman & Robin to Batman Begins was 8 years' difference.

I REALLY hope it's not another bloody origin story. Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I wonder if we could apply this to the Batman Franchise.
    Kotaku.com wrote:
    For people over the age of 10, this year's Spider-Man movie re-boot seems to have emerged rather quickly. Wasn't it just a decade ago that we got the last "first" Spider-Man movie? It was.
    Well, technically, it's been 3,714 days, which is closer to 10 years and two months.

I'd like to tell you when the next 10 Spider-Man re-boots will be:
    1.Spider-Man (re-reboot) - September 3, 2022
    2.Spider-Man (re-re-reboot) - November 3, 2032
    3.Spider-Man (re-re-re-reboot) - January 4, 2043
    4.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-reboot) - March 6, 2053
    5.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - May 7, 2063
    6.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - July 7, 2073
    7.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - September 7, 2083
    8.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - November 7, 2093
    9.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - January 9, 2104
    10.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - March 11, 2114

The only thing more depressing than the prospect of there being 10 more Spider-Man movie re-boots is that I probably won't be alive to avoid seeing all of them.
    There is, of course, some hope. You noticed, I'm sure, that this re-boot happened way sooner than it needed to. Don't we usually go about 20 years between re-boots and re-makes? At least? We've gone 10 this time, which raises the possibility that maybe the Spider-Man movies will be released in the same in some sort of asymptotic, Xeno's Paradox-style quickening pace, each re-boot happening in half the amount of time as we had expected, regardless of how our expectations happened. If this is the case, the next reboot won't happen in 10 years (3,714 days, I mean). It'll happen in 5. The one after that will happen in 2 1/2 years. Etc.

I present to you a schedule of the next 10 Spider-Man re-boots in what we can call the half-life method of movie reboots:
    1.Spider-Man (re-reboot) - August 3, 2017
    2.Spider-Man (re-re-reboot) - February 18, 2020
    3.Spider-Man (re-re-re-reboot) - May 28, 2021
    4.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-reboot) - January 16, 2022
    5.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - May 13, 2022
    6.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - July 11, 2022
    7.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - August 10, 2022
    8.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - August 25, 2022
    9.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - September 2, 2022
    10.Spider-Man (re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot) - September 6, 2022

Oh, I can't stop that list there.
    The next one (the 12th reboot, including this year's) would be on September 8, 2022. The 13th reboot would be on September 9, 2022. So would the 14th, 15th and the rest of them, Spider-Man re-boots would begin to occur within the same hour, then within the same minute, then the same second. We'd wind up with some sort of Spider-Man movie singularity.

Who's excited for more Spider-Man?
    Kotaku

With any luck they'll kill the Justice League idea, too. Who else is there? Batman (cool in his own right - after recovering from Joel Schumacher); Superman (Big enough for his own franchise, and a certain level of coolness); Maybe Wonder Woman (meh?) ... Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, the Martian Manhunter. (who?, who?, oh yeah him, and who?)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jaykhunter wrote: »
    when is this reboot landing? Because i felt that the Spider-Man reboot was a few years too soon. Like Spider-Man 3 came out 5 years ago; Batman & Robin to Batman Begins was 8 years' difference.

I REALLY hope it's not another bloody origin story. Please!

Way too soon to be talking about a reboot imo but whomever takes on the job of the Batman reboot/sequels (continuation after TDKR), they have tough boots to fill, Nolan's Batman trilogy is a masterpiece

I would love to see Nolan in about 8 or 10 years time maybe came back with a second trilogy

There is talk/rumours of Catwoman spin off with Hathaway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

that would be awful, not to mention lacking in continuity. Really hope it doesn't happen.

Any chance that Nolan continues with Batman completely separate from the Justice League? Let them have a different Batman if needed. I know Nolan said he was only doing the three but I'm sure he could be convinced to keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Any chance that Nolan continues with Batman completely separate from the Justice League? Let them have a different Batman if needed. I know Nolan said he was only doing the three but I'm sure he could be convinced to keep going.

I doubt it. I'd say he's told the batman story he wanted to tell and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

no one should touch batman after nolan he has taken it to whole other level even though i'd like to see a film on arkham asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

With any luck they'll kill the Justice League idea, too. Who else is there? Batman (cool in his own right - after recovering from Joel Schumacher); Superman (Big enough for his own franchise, and a certain level of coolness); Maybe Wonder Woman (meh?) ... Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, the Martian Manhunter. (who?, who?, oh yeah him, and who?)

The appeal of a Justice League film would be Batman and Superman on the same screen, the rest would just be periphery characters (from the bigger names like Green Lantern and Flash down to the likes of Green Arrow). And for the money it'd be worth, they'd be crazy not to try and get Superman and Batman on the same screen.

The appeal of a Justice League film would be Batman and Superman on the same screen, the rest would just be periphery characters (from the bigger names like Green Lantern and Flash down to the likes of Green Arrow). And for the money it'd be worth, they'd be crazy not to try and get Superman and Batman on the same screen.

It might be just me, but I don't think Batman and Superman belong in the same universe. Batman doesn't really fit with any of them (at least the ones I know) but he's going to be forced in somehow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Just back from seeing it in manchester.

Holy 90 foot high screen, batman! :eek: We are seriously missing out in this country by not having a proper imax screen.

Heres a pic i snapped at the end of the movie:
    599989_3733126839072_1757343958_n.jpg

I know it might not seem that big, but when you consider that there's 12 rows in front of me and that was taken with my back against the back wall, its pretty epic.
    It boosted the movie from an epic to a holymudderagawdwtf-epic! So that could be a bad thing and could cloud my judgement for how i found the movie overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Saw TDKR earlier on,thought it was decent enough but definitely didn't live up to the hype for me,was basically the same as the first two films only slightly longer.So many ridiculous holes in the plot too,even for a superhero movie.

Can't understand some of my mates who have seen it x3 times since release day and are still banging on about it.Warner Bros have a good marketing department I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Going to see it again over the weekend IN an imax screen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

cena wrote: »
    Going to see it again over the weekend IN an imax screen

Awesome! :D
    What one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

CMpunked wrote: »
    Awesome! :D
    What one?

In liverpool one in the odeon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Finally seen this and have got to say that it will go down as the weakest Batman of Nolans' trilogy - batcopters? Can someone say korny...I literally burst out laughing in pity at the sight of it. You've only to have a look over on Metacritic to see the disappointment.

But I got to say I'm on the fence with Bane. When I first heard about him being the bad guy I didn't really care. Listening more to people I wondered whether or not he just wouldn't have that personality draw that Ledger had as the Joker or perhaps that Ras had but he did what he could - the Joker and Heaths performance were big boots to fill but I liked his English accent and the character played. Apart from that though I didn't think there was much going character dept wise. I didnt care about any of them at all. For example, Anne Hathoway was great in that suit but why the f*ck was she wearing it? No backstory like the Batman returns. Robbin didn't do anything that impacted anybody in any way whatsoever. Why were Bane's people so willing to die for him? And how did Batman climb a wall with a broken back?

Of course this is all fantasy comic book stuff but I just thought it could have been better put together from a couple of Batman freaks than Nolan and his brother. Wonder who will take the reigns now? Is Batman finished for a while? Nolan is anyway.

Anyone considered that only Bane was the villian this time round? Usually there are at least 2...i.e - Ras and Liam, Joker and Harvey Dent. I wouldnt count Catwoman as they portrayed her as background character/lesbian thing. Should have had a strong Penguin or unstable Riddler for good measure.

Advertisement