Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

Tipp could be relegated too,it wont help.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

So, Tyrone in the final, any thoughts how this will pan out?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Torlac wrote: »
    So, Tyrone in the final, any thoughts how this will pan out?

I dread to think but I would imagine we are underdogs and they are clear favourites.

Team for today's match announced:

Cavan (NFL v Tipperary): J Reilly; J McEnroe, T Corr, D O'Dowd; M McKeever, P O'Reilly, D O'Reilly; J McCutcheon, D Givney; K Fannin, R Cullivan, R Flanagan; S Johnston, C Mackey, E Keating.

• Lemlin wrote: »
    Team for today's match announced:

Cavan (NFL v Tipperary): J Reilly; J McEnroe, T Corr, D O'Dowd; M McKeever, P O'Reilly, D O'Reilly; J McCutcheon, D Givney; K Fannin, R Cullivan, R Flanagan; S Johnston, C Mackey, E Keating.

Well done on the win and staying up. we are lucky to be staying with ye. best of luck in the u21 final. Would be nice to see a Cavan resurgence in football.

• Advertisement

Well done on the win and staying up. we are lucky to be staying with ye. best of luck in the u21 final. Would be nice to see a Cavan resurgence in football.

Was anyone else at yesterday's game?

First half was a poor show despite us being ahead at the break. At the start of the second half, we blitzed Tipp though and went 16 to 8 points up before David Givney was sent off. I was actually quite pleased with the team in the second half. Eugene Keating really came into the game after a poor showing against Louth and the first half. The forwards also started to shoot a bit more rather than looking for Johnston the whole time. The only two forwards out of the six I would be concerned about were Cullivan, who didn't look fit, and Mackey who, well, just didn't do much.

The back line did well and Givney was good in midfield. With him and Gearoid McKiernan there in the championship, we'll have a stronger midfield than any recent year. The bench also didn't look to shabby - Dermot Sheridan, Michael Brennan, Anthony Gaynor and Gareth Smith all being on it.

With the U21s to come back to the panel, I actually do think that Andrews and Hyland are making progress. I didn't doubt them but I did think that it could be next year before a bit was made.

Now the seniors hand it over to the county U21s to do the business on Wednesday. It's a big ask but here's hoping.

• Lemlin wrote: »
    Was anyone else at yesterday's game?

First half was a poor show despite us being ahead at the break. At the start of the second half, we blitzed Tipp though and went 16 to 8 points up before David Givney was sent off. I was actually quite pleased with the team in the second half. Eugene Keating really came into the game after a poor showing against Louth and the first half. The forwards also started to shoot a bit more rather than looking for Johnston the whole time. The only two forwards out of the six I would be concerned about were Cullivan, who didn't look fit, and Mackey who, well, just didn't do much.

The back line did well and Givney was good in midfield. With him and Gearoid McKiernan there in the championship, we'll have a stronger midfield than any recent year. The bench also didn't look to shabby - Dermot Sheridan, Michael Brennan, Anthony Gaynor and Gareth Smith all being on it.

With the U21s to come back to the panel, I actually do think that Andrews and Hyland are making progress. I didn't doubt them but I did think that it could be next year before a bit was made.

Now the seniors hand it over to the county U21s to do the business on Wednesday. It's a big ask but here's hoping.

Was the game a colour clash by any chance because i feel both our Home and 2nd choice shirt clash with Cavan's new home shirt?

152389.jpg

Was the game a colour clash by any chance because i feel both our Home and 2nd choice shirt clash with Cavan's new home shirt?

152389.jpg

I was wondering why Cavan wore their white away jerseys despite being the home team.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭PGL

well down to our U21s! - finally some silverware and a great achievement to be proud of!

will this talent manisfest itself into the senior panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This win has been a long time coming and I couldn't be happier for the lads. They deserve it big time.

• Advertisement

is the semi final on in parnell park this sat evening?

PGL wrote: »
    is the semi final on in parnell park this sat evening?

Yes, I thought they'd have to change it but Cavan management reckon it won't be according to interviews on the radio. Final is down for April 30th.

It's a disgrace if it goes ahead.

finally something to cheer about. Well done to the team and management

I think Cavan people should talk this team up,they have talked themselves down for far too long.A decent run in the seniors (even the quailifiers)would lift everyone.:)

GERRYMAC65 wrote: »
    I think Cavan people should talk this team up,they have talked themselves down for far too long.A decent run in the seniors (even the quailifiers)would lift everyone.:)

Couldn't agree more Gerry. However the senior panel need to play their part too. I'm not expecting them to play above themselves winning Ulster or All-Ireland titles etc. I'm referring to the fact that there appears to be a self destruct button in a lot of the players (past and present) who seem to lose the head quite easily and end up getting needless yellow and red cards.

If they can do themselves justice in terms of performance and discipline you'll soon start to hear the positive vibes coming from within and out of the county.

Just my opinion looking in from outside of the county. Maybe people who have closer links to the panel can enlighten the debate.

An All Ireland Final beckons for the breffni blues! - can we dare to dream of an all-ireland title after all these years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,023 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to see a county like Cavan in an All Ireland final - the very best of luck to ye. Ye will have it all to do as Galway are a fine football team.

Paul Brady is going for his 8th All Ireland 40X20 Handball Championship tomorrow. He faces Charly Shanks of Armagh in Abbeylara. If Paul wins he will hold the record for the most All Ireland's ever in the small alley.

Win or lose it is a phenomenal achievement and he is without doubt one of the most under rated athletes in Ireland over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Any highlights from tonights game?

P. Brady defeated C. Shanks 21-17 21-3, to record his 7th successive All Ireland senior 40x20 singles success and also becomes the first Irish player in history to win 8 All Ireland senior singles 40x20 titles in Abbeylara today.

Amazing achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

Was just wondering which club has the most players involved with the senior county?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    P. Brady defeated C. Shanks 21-17 21-3, to record his 7th successive All Ireland senior 40x20 singles success and also becomes the first Irish player in history to win 8 All Ireland senior singles 40x20 titles in Abbeylara today.

Amazing achievement.

outstanding result, delighted for him. winning with a broken finger unreal

Im after seeing that there, that is fu*ckin phenomenal.

I believe success breeds success,with the TRUE GRIT shown in the under 21s football,and Paul Brady in handball, Cavan are going in the right direction.LETS KEEP IT GOING.:)

Was just wondering which club has the most players involved with the senior county?

The Gaels used to in previous years but they have very few on the panel this year. That said, Seanie Johnston is worth the rest of the forwards scores combined in most matches!

This year's team is an assortment from alot of different teams. Castlerahan have three or four though so they probably have the most on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭celt262

Lemlin wrote: »
    The Gaels used to in previous years but they have very few on the panel this year. That said, Seanie Johnston is worth the rest of the forwards scores combined in most matches!

This year's team is an assortment from alot of different teams. Castlerahan have three or four though so they probably have the most on the panel.

Do they not just have 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

So a Galway v Cavan U-21 final, an unusual pairing but that's no harm.

I have to admit I haven't seen this Cavan team play so know very little about them. From a Galway perspective we were surprised to beat Cork, this Cork team were odds-on to win it out. Galway dug in and ground it out, and when they put Cork on the back foot in the last 10-15 mins the Cork lads panicked and were the orchestrators of their own downfall really.
    Hopefully it'll be a good game anyway, a win in this one would be a big lift to either county, neither have been setting the world alight at senior level recently. No idea yet of where it will be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

aidan24326 wrote: »
    So a Galway v Cavan U-21 final, an unusual pairing but that's no harm.

I have to admit I haven't seen this Cavan team play so know very little about them. From a Galway perspective we were surprised to beat Cork, this Cork team were odds-on to win it out. Galway dug in and ground it out, and when they put Cork on the back foot in the last 10-15 mins the Cork lads panicked and were the orchestrators of their own downfall really.
    Hopefully it'll be a good game anyway, a win in this one would be a big lift to either county, neither have been setting the world alight at senior level recently. No idea yet of where it will be played.

This Cavan team is decent, we haven't gone behind by more than 2 points to any team yet and unusually for a Cavan team seem very comfortable holding onto a lead, they are very adept at getting ahead by 2-3 points with a burst and then tagging on scores to match their opponents even for large periods of the game. Two quality free takers in Reilly and Brady have frees on both sides covered and McDermott and Brady are very dangerous from play.

However watching this Galway side on TG4 Saturday night I would say they have the edge, they have a stronger midfield than Cavan who have one ball playing midfielder at his most comfortable going forward and a work horse who breaks up play. Also Galway's forwards look to be stronger as a group than what we have faced thus far. Cavan have had luck on their side against Tyrone and Wexford, both games could easily have swung in another direction, Tyrone denied a penalty and missing a 2 on 1 goal chance and Wexford hitting the post twice and our midfielder clearing off the line twice.

Comparisons with other teams going into a final aren't a good marker but it's worth noting that Galway disposed of Roscommon with ease in the Connacht Final, a team that Cavan struggled to get past in the Hastings Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

Lemlin wrote: »

Found out there that ballinagh have four on the panel five if you count macdermott who will most likely join up with the senior panel after the u21s are finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Cavan vs Galway u21 final fixed for May 1st in Croke Park :D

Match will be a curtain-raiser to Dublin vs Kilkenny NHL final

Advertisement