Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving/Learning to swim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

im looking for someone that can give me lessons in dcu gym?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

adamski8 wrote: »
    im looking for someone that can give me lessons in dcu gym?
    i got someone now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Back swimming again after years.

Just casual swimming nothing major.

Any I can do breaststroke without any issues but frontcrawl is killing my nose.

Never had an issue before.

Like water just shooting its way up and causing awful discomfort.

Any tips on stopping this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Trampas wrote: »
    Back swimming again after years.

Just casual swimming nothing major.

Any I can do breaststroke without any issues but frontcrawl is killing my nose.

Never had an issue before.

Like water just shooting its way up and causing awful discomfort.

Any tips on stopping this?

Heya Trampas, without seeing your technique/head popsition theres 2 options you have here:

1. When your face is in the water & you exhale (make sure you're not breathing in with your face in the water!) do so through your nose, this will stop water getting into it, it will take some practice to get use to!

2. You can always try a nose clip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I'm looking for some private lessons in south county dublin. My technique is quite poor meaning I get knackered after only a very short distance, combined with multiple problems with breathing. :(

Any info would be much appreciated as the only obvious thing available is group lessons (mainly beginning in September)

• Advertisement

I'm looking for some private lessons in south county dublin. My technique is quite poor meaning I get knackered after only a very short distance, combined with multiple problems with breathing. :(

Any info would be much appreciated as the only obvious thing available is group lessons (mainly beginning in September)

Where abouts in South Dublin? Jackie Skellys Ballsbridge have a new term of private swim lessons start tomorrown night at 7.......afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Have read this thread with interest. Am 40 and did 2 10 week sessions of lessons 2years ago. From a very low level I progressed quite well - could put face in water, and swim (awkwardly) a width without breathing, but could never get out of my depth - always had to be able to stand in the pool - I could never thread water. I have now regressed to the point that I can't do the width anymore!!
    Now, my 8yr old is trying to learn - well, it's more me 'encouraging' him. We have been to 3 different places, but he still wearing arm bands and cant really swim. I also have a 5 yr old who I want to start - does anyone know of a pool/gym that would teach us all - not neccessarily together!!, but I am determined that ny children will not end up like me at 40 and unable to swim. We are based in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

just wanted to say this is a great post and glad to see it going on for 2 years!!

i am back to swimming after a hiatus of 20 years more or less and doing well i think. i can finally do a few lengths in a row now without gasping:) for everyone learning now who think they will never do it just stick with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

breadbin wrote: »
    just wanted to say this is a great post and glad to see it going on for 2 years!!

i am back to swimming after a hiatus of 20 years more or less and doing well i think. i can finally do a few lengths in a row now without gasping:) for everyone learning now who think they will never do it just stick with it:)

good stuff Breadbin i just wonder im in a simalar situation and just wonder is it possible no matter how you try you will never learn to do a good few laps without gasping

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

bob50 wrote: »
    good stuff Breadbin i just wonder im in a simalar situation and just wonder is it possible no matter how you try you will never learn to do a good few laps without gasping

hiya bob unless there is an underlying health thing like asthma or something i guess anyone can get over the 'wall' the thing i did was slow down my strokes which helped alot and i breathe whenever i need to now which is a bit important i suppose. i used to breathe every 4 strokes which is grand for the first length but i can't keep it up due to lack of fitness i suppose so not i breathe every 2 for a bit 4 for a bit etc:) hope that helps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

Am getting private lessons in Sportsco gym in Ringsend. Have only had two lessons so far but am very pleased. Instructor very nice and patient and am glad I decided to start. Lessons are around €35 for a forty minute lesson.

Am getting private lessons in Sportsco gym in Ringsend. Have only had two lessons so far but am very pleased. Instructor very nice and patient and am glad I decided to start. Lessons are around €35 for a forty minute lesson.

Hi evenmichael sounds good have you any contact details for getting the private swim lessons in sportsco ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

Hi,
    if you go onto the Sportsco website and look up the swimming section it gives details of the swimming lessons with Grainne and the contact number. Best of luck.

bob50 wrote: »
    Hi evenmichael sounds good have you any contact details for getting the private swim lessons in sportsco ?

Heya Bob, if private lessons in Sportsco don't work out I work nearby in Jackie Skelly's Ballsbridge at the same rate €35 for a one off session, theres also discounts for block booking but for the life of me I cant remember the exact price! Send me a PM if interested!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

Has anybody taking any lessons from the instruictors(aldo) at this gym.
    Is he any good?
    I'm having problems breathing and also with my swin stroke....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Am starting my 10 week beginner swimming lessons tonight am not really nervous because I imagine I'll be hardly thrown into the deep end on the first night but I hope I can take in the basics such as movements without thinking am gonna sink lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kim56

If you're looking for swimming lessons specifically in Drogheda areayou have to go to Conor Boyle, he's the best in the town by far. He runs his own private lessons and rents out the pool in Jackie Skellys. His classes are small ( I've found some classes very over crowded and you don't get the due attention in some places in the town, espcially when you're a nervous adult like I am) and his prices are reasonable (60 euro for small class with kids and 90 for adults, i think it's 20 for private lessons). I sent my own kids and then started going myself, he can teach adults and children and has a brilliant manner. check out www.boyleswimminglessons.com

Kim56 wrote: »
    If you're looking for swimming lessons specifically in Drogheda areayou have to go to Conor Boyle, he's the best in the town by far. He runs his own private lessons and rents out the pool in Jackie Skellys. His classes are small ( I've found some classes very over crowded and you don't get the due attention in some places in the town, espcially when you're a nervous adult like I am) and his prices are reasonable (60 euro for small class with kids and 90 for adults, i think it's 20 for private lessons). I sent my own kids and then started going myself, he can teach adults and children and has a brilliant manner. check out www.boyleswimminglessons.com

I've started my lessons with Aura in Dundalk their is suppose to be 4 in our class but just me and another guy showed the first night and speaking of which I wasn't overaly content with the first one as we started 10mins late so am expecting more for the 2nd one thursday.
    But hey thats sounds good I'll definately keep him in mind for future lessons but I hope atleast I'll have grasped the basics to swim after 10 weeks, thanks kim.

Francie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭johnnyb1

Hi guys ive signed up to do a 2k swim in the sea next september and today was the first time in 30 years that I got back in the pool:)I did about 10 lengths of a 25 metre pool but had to stop for a min or two after each length:(The thing is I work long hours and odd shifts so I just cant get to lessons or classes:(:(I can get to a pool 2/3 times a week so the question is is it possible for me to complete the 2k by training on my own:confused::confused:

johnnyb1 wrote: »
    Hi guys ive signed up to do a 2k swim in the sea next september and today was the first time in 30 years that I got back in the pool:)I did about 10 lengths of a 25 metre pool but had to stop for a min or two after each length:(The thing is I work long hours and odd shifts so I just cant get to lessons or classes:(:(I can get to a pool 2/3 times a week so the question is is it possible for me to complete the 2k by training on my own:confused::confused:

I reckon it would do no harm to get a few lessons by then mate atleast its not short notice but hey who am I to say am only a rookie am getting lessons by a very good instructor and am loving it.

• Advertisement

Thanks I am getting tips of an instructor but unfortunatley he works different shifts to me:(but no matter I will go for it anyway:eek::eek:

thebourke wrote: »
    Has anybody taking any lessons from the instruictors(aldo) at this gym.
    Is he any good?
    I'm having problems breathing and also with my swin stroke....

Hi i was thinking myself of using him i have pretty much the same probs as yourself

The only thing is were in the pool can he learn you as it always has people in it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Johnnyb1: With nearly a year to get to 2k – that’s a totally achievable goal. You’ll need to get someone to design a program and get a look at your stroke to see if any improvements can be made there. A few sessions with a coach or good instructor should be enough to get you on your way and then you can just organise them around your shifts. The great thing about private lessons is that they’re when you want them. You can spread these as far apart as you want.

Thanks Clseeper great to know its an achieveable goal feeling much more confident now will redouble my efforts:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 starflower1

Very informative...thanks. Great to know that no ones stroke is perfect and a couple of lessons a few times a month may actually help. I get a pain on my right shoulder and think its from my technique. I used to breath every four stroke so inhaled to the left all the time. could this have caused it? Im trying to even it out 5 strokes and breath both sides! Should I hold in stomack muscles or wud this cause back strain?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Starflower1: There are a lot of different muscles in your shoulder so I can really say what you’re doing wrong? The fact that it’s happening regularly does point to something you are doing.

It could be down to flexibility – google some shoulder stretches and try and find one that stretches the affected area. Then make sure after your warm-up to do some localised stretching of that area.

Evening out the breathing may help. Instead of sucking in your abs (stomach muscles), I’d recommend rotating your whole body. When breathing, you shouldn’t twist from the torso but rotate your whole body and hips while extending your shoulder & arm forward.

And obviously if you continue to have problems, get a quick trip to the physio and maybe they can identify what movement your doing wrong. A good swimming instructor may be able to see also but we’re really not qualified to be given detail medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 starflower1

Thanks for the great advice... Trying to rotate more and it seems to take strain off my shoulders alright. Hope it helps ... Going to check out some streches also. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OttoMann

Hey guys..Great thread! Im only back in the country a while after a fairly long absence an am looking to get back into swimming...Does anyone know any decent pools with improver lessons.. I did read in southside dublin pools that meadowbrook is newish and is nice and that improver group lessons are about 10e a pop.. Cant part with cash for a private gyms as i only avail of the pool so not worth it.. Im still young enough an could drag out over 40 lengths usually in a 30-40 min session..Defo be less than that now id say! Anyhow any recommendations would be great!

OttoMann wrote: »
    Hey guys..Great thread! Im only back in the country a while after a fairly long absence an am looking to get back into swimming...Does anyone know any decent pools with improver lessons.. I did read in southside dublin pools that meadowbrook is newish and is nice and that improver group lessons are about 10e a pop.. Cant part with cash for a private gyms as i only avail of the pool so not worth it.. Im still young enough an could drag out over 40 lengths usually in a 30-40 min session..Defo be less than that now id say! Anyhow any recommendations would be great!

Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OttoMann

Burkatron wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Duh! sorry should have put that in!

South Dublin....near Churchtown

Advertisement