Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

one thing i dont see talked about a lot, if you take a look at the combined ratings for the first week of head to head 2.3 million people tuned into both shows and went away to average out around 1.4 or 1.5 million a week for both shows so there is an audience that is there that both shows are not attracting back

if you don't attract beyond the core audience its very easier for ratings to go away like it has with raw over the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think both AEW Dynamite and NXT weekly shows are both very entertaining, with AEW being just about better most weeks.

AEW needs to succeed if theres to be any hope of a better TV product. If AEW did ****, then WWE will never change their approach.

For that reason I think most people will support AEW because they want change from the drivel on the main roster of WWE.

I still think both audiences more or less watch both shows, so the NXT doesnt draw the same audience argument. Everyone ai know who watches AEW also watch NXT. I think most people here do.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think both AEW Dynamite and NXT weekly shows are both very entertaining, with AEW being just about better most weeks.

AEW needs to succeed if theres to be any hope of a better TV product. If AEW did ****, then WWE will never change their approach.

For that reason I think most people will support AEW because they want change from the drivel on the main roster of WWE.

I still think both audiences more or less watch both shows, so the NXT doesnt draw the same audience argument. Everyone ai know who watches AEW also watch NXT. I think most people here do.

I think there’s a loud minority group of wrestling fans who need to pick a side and just do everything in there power to crap on the other side but for most part people just want good shows

Honestly I think that group don’t even watch the shows there just seeing clips on Twitter and crapping on the show

There is a lot to like in both shows. Take last week for example, Page v Silver was a fantastic opener while NXT ended with a battle between Dunne and KOR (I chose those two because I seen some nonsense about both online last week) Both deserved to be watched and how anyone can crap on them for simply being on the other show is beyond me.

There is a lot to like in both shows. Take last week for example, Page v Silver was a fantastic opener while NXT ended with a battle between Dunne and KOR (I chose those two because I seen some nonsense about both online last week) Both deserved to be watched and how anyone can crap on them for simply being on the other show is beyond me.

the last month especially ive really enjoyed both shows and stuff i didnt like has been minor enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If either of these shows were doing 0.52 in the demo they'd be over the moon. But the actual breakdown last week was 0.26 to NXT's 0.20 with NXT having 2k extra in overall viewers. AEW's lowest demo in ages, NXT'S highest, you can give reasons why that is but that's a separate issue, in the demo, even on this night, it still was not even close. The only category NXT won, which they always win, is the over 50's. Of course AEW, or any show, would rather a 0.26 in the demo, rather than a 0.2 and a couple extra thousand old people watching.

I'll try again:

Hypothetical situation:

Week 1: Show A gets 500k in the key demo. Show B gets 500k in the key demo. Ratings share in the key demo is 0.50 each.

Week 2: Show A gets 260k in the key demo. Show B gets 240k in the key demo. Ratings share in the key demo is 0.52 for Show A, 0.48 for Show B.

When the ratings are published for Week 2, is Show A happy or sad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'll try again:

Hypothetical situation:

Week 1: Show A gets 500k in the key demo. Show B gets 500k in the key demo. Ratings share in the key demo is 0.50 each.

Week 2: Show A gets 260k in the key demo. Show B gets 240k in the key demo. Ratings share in the key demo is 0.52 for Show A, 0.48 for Show B.

When the ratings are published for Week 2, is Show A happy or sad?

Depends entirely on what the expected demo averages were for the show before week 1 doesn't it? And if that show is a young upstart show, on top of the fact that it was in and around the million mark pre Covid, then who knows, I'd say TNT and the AEW brass are pretty happy with that first year.

Depends entirely on what the expected demo averages were for the show before week 1 doesn't it? And if that show is a young upstart show, on top of the fact that it was in and around the million mark pre Covid, then who knows, I'd say TNT and the AEW brass are pretty happy with that first year.

Blink twice if Tony Khan is behind you with a gun to your head.

Blink twice if Tony Khan is behind you with a gun to your head.

Instead of your digs maybe tell me what's wrong with that take or is it completely accurate?

Instead of your digs maybe tell me what's wrong with that take or is it completely accurate?

I wasn't asking for a take, I presented a hypothetical scenario to try determine the strengths and limitations of using "ratings share" to determine a show's performance.

Digging through the weeds, you do seem to be of the same opinion as myself, i.e., that it only gives us part of the story.

• Advertisement

I wasn't asking for a take, I presented a hypothetical scenario to try determine the strengths and limitations of using "ratings share" to determine a show's performance.

Digging through the weeds, you do seem to be of the same opinion as myself, i.e., that it only gives us part of the story.

And I answered the hypothetical scenario with a more realistic scenario in which the TV network gives it's expectations for a demo rating (which is a basic for any network and any TV show) and went at it using that. And, using the real life example, i.e AEW, their ratings have been impressive, particularly through Covid and there's no doubt at all that they've built a loyal young fanbase and that's reflected both in ratings and ppv buys.

And I answered the hypothetical scenario with a more realistic scenario in which the TV network gives it's expectations for a demo rating (which is a basic for any network and any TV show) and went at it using that. And, using the real life example, i.e AEW, their ratings have been impressive, particularly through Covid and there's no doubt at all that they've built a loyal young fanbase and that's reflected both in ratings and ppv buys.

In other words, you didn't answer my specific question. Before getting to AEW's context I want to know exactly what that share metric is, and what factors might cause it to change. The key point I'm trying to establish is whether you can hemorrhage viewers in your key demo, but still improve in the share metric, as long as rival shows lose more than you.

In other words, you didn't answer my specific question. Before getting to AEW's context I want to know exactly what that share metric is, and what factors might cause it to change. The key point I'm trying to establish is whether you can hemorrhage viewers in your key demo, but still improve in the share metric, as long as rival shows lose more than you.

And ultimately my point is that your question is meaningless without the context of what the hypothetical network considers a successful demo number.

And in any case using week 1 of any startup show is intentionally misleading. How many shows, let alone a startup wrestling company which, given it's wrestling, is far less reliant on an overall narrative than a run of the mill TV show, jump up from week 1 to week 2. Inevitably for any show your first week will have curiosity viewers that will fall away week 2.

And ultimately my point is that your question is meaningless without the context of what the hypothetical network considers a successful demo number.

And in any case using week 1 of any startup show is intentionally misleading. How many shows, let alone a startup wrestling company which, given it's wrestling, is far less reliant on an overall narrative than a run of the mill TV show, jump up from week 1 to week 2. Inevitably for any show your first week will have curiosity viewers that will fall away week 2.

So you agree that the use of a ratio metric is potentially misleading?

In that hypothetical situation youd be disappointed that almost half of your viewers who watched your product in week one switched off in week 2. What turned so many people off would be the main concern.

In that hypothetical situation youd be disappointed that almost half of your viewers who watched your product in week one switched off in week 2. What turned so many people off would be the main concern.

That'd be my hunch as well.

Share increasing may or may not be something to celebrate.

Do they release raw weekly figures for viewership in the key demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyway I like Butcher and Blade cos they're cool looking and Eddie Kingston is good on the mic and believable. Moxley is a fun antihero. Also the tag division is stacked. PAC is awesome. Factions are interesting. Older managers mixing with newer talent is fun.

I'd imagine the pro wrestling aspect probably. In an age where the biggest wrestling company in the world struggles some weeks to break 2 million total viewers on FOX, an upstart wrestling company doing regular 800ks in an essentially empty arena and, more importantly, a strong demo number each week is an unquestionable success for both AEW and the network. Any dreams of them, NXT, or any new wrestling brand on TV drawing in and around 1.5 million and maintaining that off the bat is head in the clouds stuff.

I'd imagine the pro wrestling aspect probably. In an age where the biggest wrestling company in the world struggles some weeks to break 2 million total viewers on FOX, an upstart wrestling company doing regular 800ks in an essentially empty arena and, more importantly, a strong demo number each week is an unquestionable success for both AEW and the network. Any dreams of them, NXT, or any new wrestling brand on TV drawing in and around 1.5 million and maintaining that off the bat is head in the clouds stuff.

Strong demo number, or strong demo share?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I sometimes wonder does any other fandom obsess this much over ratings.

Like are fans of Love Island and The Bachelor talking about the male 18-34 demographic? Is there a ratings war between Dancing with the Stars and Strictly Come Dancing?

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Like are fans of Love Island and The Bachelor talking about the male 18-34 demographic? Is there a ratings war between Dancing with the Stars and Strictly Come Dancing?

Excuse you!

It's the ratio of live TV viewers in the 18-34 demographic, you boomer.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't particularly care about ratings myself, but my guess is that because ratings played a big role in the Monday Night War it became the culture within wrestling fandom. Over time it just became kind've a habit with wrestling fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ratings have been part of the wrestling business for the last 25 years they since the Monday Night Wars started in 1995.

They started part of it when TNA decided to go head to head with the WWE.

They are now part of it since the WWE decided to give up focus on NXT being it best programme and now use that to counter programme AEW to effect there TV ratings.

The WWE themselves make a huge deal our of the ratings war and how the beat WCW 83 streak so they themselves have engrained ratings in the mindset of wrestling so it no surprise then that wrestling fans who watched wrestling during those years in general see ratings as part of wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The commentary in Dark is so entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ciaran2054

I can only speak for myself but I watched NXT religiously when it was on the Network and looked forward to every Takeover like it was Christmas.

Now I only watch Dynamite weekly and only have a vague idea what’s going on in NXT. I missed most of the last Takeover but watched the main event.

I put this down partly to only having time in the week to watch one show (so I chose Dynamite), partly because NXT is less accessible now that it’s not on the network and partly because NXT is simply not as good a product as it was 12 months ago.

What I’m trying to say is that not every fan watches both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's 'big' in MMA too.

Strong demo number, or strong demo share?

Routinely top 10 show on the night, more often than not top 5. Again, strong loyal fan base that held steady from everything to Presidential election coverage to drafts and through the MLB playoff games. And the big plus is the loyal fan base is young. You can spin in that "wrestling ratings are in the gutter" but a new show, a year old, has done very well, has had a lot of ratings succeses all in an extremely challenging time for live events. There's very little way to spin that other than it's been a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

ciaran2054 wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself but I watched NXT religiously when it was on the Network and looked forward to every Takeover like it was Christmas.

Now I only watch Dynamite weekly and only have a vague idea what’s going on in NXT. I missed most of the last Takeover but watched the main event.

I put this down partly to only having time in the week to watch one show (so I chose Dynamite), partly because NXT is less accessible now that it’s not on the network and partly because NXT is simply not as good a product as it was 12 months ago.

What I’m trying to say is that not every fan watches both.

Same, I haven't watched NXT in ages. Just found it got really boring and just has that dead WWE stench to it. I agree that not every wrestling fan watches both shows.

For me between AEW, MLW, Impact and the Puro companies I've no time and thankfully no need to watch anything from the WWE universe.

Don't see the big deal over talking about ratings either, just a bit of craic. I find the lads giving out about people talking about ratings are more annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was sure Peter Avalon had more than 8 matches this year. How long until we get him vs Cutler in a streak vs streak match. :)
    And as for the third member of that former team, Leva's acting weird.

When they were taking about Cezar Bononi's reaction to Ryzin at the entrance of made me think of how Lars Sullivan stars out on TV in NXT and thought it might be a good idea for something similar here. Basically he kept getting paired with a new partner every time and that partner would get pinned leading to Lars taking out his frustration on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Liked that episode of Dark, Solow/Sydal and the main event were both very good. Thought Danny Limelight, Lady Frost, Lindsay Snow and the Acclaimed all had good showings too. Dark has lots of matches but keeps most short and sweet so it works, and does a great job of giving everyone on the show some character and continuity, the excellent commentary helps a lot with that I think.

Advertisement