Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cavan_King wrote: »
    What’s your expectations for the semi final at the weekend lads? Bookies have ye 100/1 on!!

Honestly, if your crowd keep it to a -10 loss or less = a moral victory. If Cavan win\draw biggest shock in Irish sport never mind gaa!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would have been wary of Donegal but feel overall we will be too strong for Cavan .This group of players don't underestimate their opponents and keep playing for the full match .Cavan have done well and deserve their success but I feel the Dubs are a different level .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

What’s your expectations for the semi final at the weekend lads? Bookies have ye 100/1 on!!

I think it will be very tight, Cavan are a very good team well coached and will have a game plan. Dublin will give this Cavan team the respect they deserve. They have beaten a very good Donegal team while being down to 14 men for long periods of the game. Dublin will stick to the process and hopefully prevail. Vey best of luck and may the best team win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I think it will be very tight, Cavan are a very good team well coached and will have a game plan. Dublin will give this Cavan team the respect they deserve. They have beaten a very good Donegal team while being down to 14 men for long periods of the game. Dublin will stick to the process and hopefully prevail. Vey best of luck and may the best team win.

Yeah, I saw some insane stat from that match, while Cavan had 15 players on the field, Donegal only scored 3 of their total points. The only reason it wasn't a total whitewash was the two Cavan black cards.

I think Dublin will win, but I don't think that we'll have an easy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I like watching Cavan. They looked in danger of being over-run after first black card, but regrouped, and played their best football after the second one and were getting better the longer the match went on.

Comebacks cannot not be under-estimated, nor can the habit of winning and especially winning tight games. So will be interesting to see how they cope with Dublin. They obviously do best when taking the game to the opposition, and it's very difficult to do that to Dublin in last 5/6 years. Only team imho who have done so consistently have been Mayo. So it's a big challenge for Cavan.

Looking forward to it, but would be massively surprised if Dublin don't win. Pity there's no crowd. Bumped into old friend yesterday and we were lamenting that a recently deceased Cavan man who loved talking about football and Cavan's glory days will miss it.

• Advertisement

Would have been wary of Donegal but feel overall we will be too strong for Cavan .This group of players don't underestimate their opponents and keep playing for the full match .Cavan have done well and deserve their success but I feel the Dubs are a different level .
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw some insane stat from that match, while Cavan had 15 players on the field, Donegal only scored 3 of their total points. The only reason it wasn't a total whitewash was the two Cavan black cards.

I think Dublin will win, but I don't think that we'll have an easy game.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    I like watching Cavan. They looked in danger of being over-run after first black card, but regrouped, and played their best football after the second one and were getting better the longer the match went on.

Comebacks cannot not be under-estimated, nor can the habit of winning and especially winning tight games. So will be interesting to see how they cope with Dublin. They obviously do best when taking the game to the opposition, and it's very difficult to do that to Dublin in last 5/6 years. Only team imho who have done so consistently have been Mayo. So it's a big challenge for Cavan.

Looking forward to it, but would be massively surprised if Dublin don't win. Pity there's no crowd. Bumped into old friend yesterday and we were lamenting that a recently deceased Cavan man who loved talking about football and Cavan's glory days will miss it.

Cavan would want to keep it as tight as possible at the start if they are to have any chance. And chase and harry at 100 miles an hour (reminds me a lot like the Dublin hurlers under Daly).
    They would want to be very fit to keep that up though, as it their only way to make up the difference in skill between the teams.

I suppose you could say Mickey Graham did it at a lower level with Mullinalaghta v Kilmacud Crokes. All I remember is them tearing around the place and Paul Mannion having a very poor game.

As usual even if Cavan manage to keep it tight and fight like dogs, it will be the Dublin bench that will come on in the last 20 minutes against tired legs and rack up a big tally. Someone like Costello which would annoy Cavan people since he got his ban overturned.

As for having no fans it feels terrible odd not going to these games. Plus when this Covid19 is over it will have the air of a belated birthday party. In many ways I suppose, not just sport.

To be completely honest I would not begrudge Cavan in the slightest, if they do manage to beat Dublin. Because it will have to have a great performance against all the odds.

I know Cavan have some good players. I remember Dublin played them in the league and looked decent. McKiernan is the obvious one. But the whole team works damn hard as a collective. Cavan impressed me they gave it a go. Another fella who I always think of when I think of Cavan is McVeety. 'The biscuit fella' I call him. I know he is injured which is a shame for Cavan. Great player.

Here is a reminder of the previous games between Dublin and Cavan in the 2017 and 2019 league. (Dublin GAA website)

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/flashbacks-dublin-v-cavan

Dublin only winning by 6 points in Breffni Park in 2019 and 7 points in the same venue in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

Hoping for a good game Saturday evening it's obviously Dublin's game to lose which they are not in the habit of doing. I'm just hoping it's not a hammering and we are in with a shout near the end but as someone mentioned the Dublin bench will likely get them over the line if it is anyway tight.

It's has been a good run for this Cavan team and win lose or draw they have lifted the spirits around the county the last few weeks and that i'm grateful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

U20 final confirmed for 2.30 on the 19th at Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭KIB4Life

Cavan would want to keep it as tight as possible at the start if they are to have any chance. And chase and harry at 100 miles an hour (reminds me a lot like the Dublin hurlers under Daly).
    They would want to be very fit to keep that up though, as it their only way to make up the difference in skill between the teams.

I suppose you could say Mickey Graham did it at a lower level with Mullinalaghta v Kilmacud Crokes. All I remember is them tearing around the place and Paul Mannion having a very poor game.

As usual even if Cavan manage to keep it tight and fight like dogs, it will be the Dublin bench that will come on in the last 20 minutes against tired legs and rack up a big tally. Someone like Costello which would annoy Cavan people since he got his ban overturned.

As for having no fans it feels terrible odd not going to these games. Plus when this Covid19 is over it will have the air of a belated birthday party. In many ways I suppose, not just sport.

To be completely honest I would not begrudge Cavan in the slightest, if they do manage to beat Dublin. Because it will have to have a great performance against all the odds.

I know Cavan have some good players. I remember Dublin played them in the league and looked decent. McKiernan is the obvious one. But the whole team works damn hard as a collective. Cavan impressed me they gave it a go. Another fella who I always think of when I think of Cavan is McVeety. 'The biscuit fella' I call him. I know he is injured which is a shame for Cavan. Great player.

Here is a reminder of the previous games between Dublin and Cavan in the 2017 and 2019 league. (Dublin GAA website)

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/flashbacks-dublin-v-cavan

Dublin only winning by 6 points in Breffni Park in 2019 and 7 points in the same venue in 2017.

McVeety’s actually away I think in either New Zealand or Australia I think he is with Conor Moynagh who would be another player that would be starting for Cavan got nominated for an All Star last, I think Cavan are missing other players the likes of Michael Argue and Conor Rahill who opted out, so that makes their Ulster title achievement even more impressive given that they are missing some big players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

For a team that are supposedly so well coached etc they were well behind against both Monaghan and Down, they go behind on Saturday, there isnt a hope in hell they could claw back those deficits against Dublin, i can't see anything other than a 20 pt Dublin victory, obv hope im way off the mark but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    McVeety’s actually away I think in either New Zealand or Australia I think he is with Conor Moynagh who would be another player that would be starting for Cavan got nominated for an All Star last, I think Cavan are missing other players the likes of Michael Argue and Conor Rahill who opted out, so that makes their Ulster title achievement even more impressive given that they are missing some big players.

Feel sorry for McVeety to miss out on club title with Crosserlough and Ulster title with Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

As strange as it sounds I'd be less worried playing Donegal. Both teams have played each other numerous times over the last few years and know one another well.

I think Cavan are bit more unpredictable and that makes them potentially dangerous.

A lot will hinge on their mindset. If Cavan are contented with an Ulster title and just happy to be in an Ireland Semi Final then its going to be a turkey shoot. But if they bring the same intensity that they brought to the Donegal game, then this could be closer then people think

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

I can see Cavan keeping it competitive until half time, but Dublin will empty the bench and rack up a decent score last 15/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I can see Cavan keeping it competitive until half time, but Dublin will empty the bench and rack up a decent score last 15/20.

Any truth in Bernard's Flynn tweet that McCaffrey was back training?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Looks like Cuala have opened the cheque book and signed Eddie Brennan. Undisclosed fee but thought to be a new transfer record for coach. Likely a couple of million Lira.

That's gonna trigger a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Slattsy wrote: »
    Looks like Cuala have opened the cheque book and signed Eddie Brennan. Undisclosed fee but thought to be a new transfer record for coach. Likely a couple of million Lira.

That's gonna trigger a few.

Personally thought he might have been in line for a shot at the Dublin hurlers job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Personally thought he might have been in line for a shot at the Dublin hurlers job.

I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Slattsy wrote: »
    I concur.

They'll let Mattie Kennys see out his contract. Why I don't know, maybe they dont think hurlings a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bambi wrote: »
    They'll let Mattie Kennys see out his contract. Why I don't know, maybe they dont think hurlings a priority

Whatever is going on in that squad but from a neutral perspective it certainly looks like either the squad as a whole didn't fully buy into his philosophy or else the game he wants to play doesn't suit the players at his disposal.

Well, if Dublin hurling has been successful in anything, it has been in providing retirement homes for managerial staff!

Would actually have been interested in seeing Brennan over county team. Despite his laughing on Sky at Dublin and Wexford hurlers after drawn game in Wexford Park in 2013.

Well, we had the last laugh for once three weeks later in Portlaoise :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Thought ye lads might have an interest in this.

Paul Pillar Caffrey gave a very interesting interview to the We Are Cavan football podcast. I don't want to reopen the debate re moving the game because it was never an issue CCB have said but Pillar, a former Dublin manager, said that Croke Park is worth 5-6 points to Dublin in most games in his opinion.

He also mentioned that a problem in his time managing Dublin was getting a false impression of a player from playing in Parnell Park in the League and that same player failing to perform in the bigger Croke Park, where the ball moves quicker, the pitch dimensions are larger and the weather was better due to it being Summer football. That isn't even an issue now as he correctly pointed out due to Dublin even playing their League gams in Croke Park.

He said in his opinion all Dublin games bar the Leinster final, All Ireland SF and AI Final should be outside of Croker Park to level the playing field a bit.

We Are Cavan also did an interview with Barry Cahill. He commented that one of the big turnarounds for Dublin was getting rid of some of the egos from the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Pre parnell park development Dublin played league matches in Croke park so it has been where we have played most matches .Still when we were only average little criticism was voiced .We under achieved for a long time considering the potential numbers available so when things turned the critics were out in force . The wheel will turn we will always be in the mix but other counties will have their day .If dublin gave up all it would mean is Kerry would clean up with the odd county getting a few crumbs now and then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Paul Pillar Caffrey gave a very interesting interview to the We Are Cavan football podcast. I don't want to reopen the debate re moving the game because it was never an issue CCB have said but Pillar, a former Dublin manager, said that Croke Park is worth 5-6 points to Dublin in most games in his opinion.

He also mentioned that a problem in his time managing Dublin was getting a false impression of a player from playing in Parnell Park in the League and that same player failing to perform in the bigger Croke Park, where the ball moves quicker, the pitch dimensions are larger and the weather was better due to it being Summer football. That isn't even an issue now as he correctly pointed out due to Dublin even playing their League gams in Croke Park.

He said in his opinion all Dublin games bar the Leinster final, All Ireland SF and AI Final should be outside of Croker Park to level the playing field a bit.

We Are Cavan also did an interview with Barry Cahill. He commented that one of the big turnarounds for Dublin was getting rid of some of the egos from the dressing room.

He's not wrong. Dublin GAA wouldn't oppose this but the GAA are the ones who need to be willing to take the financial loss. Parnell Park is fine for League games. The QFs should be held in the grounds of the preliminary round winners or the lower ranked team from League. Semi-finals should be held in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dublin could play there games in a car park outside the local pub and chances are more than likely they still beat most teams around the country.

Players and fans have no issue travelling the GAA are more than happy to keep Dublin where they are though.

Until Dublin start losing All Irelands consistently again there's always gonna be a shadow over everything they do!

Sure look when the day comes and we hit a rough patch im sure most the country will celebrate it until Kerry dominate again only there won't be any objections out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Rolo2010 wrote:
    He's not wrong. Dublin GAA wouldn't oppose this but the GAA are the ones who need to be willing to take the financial loss. Parnell Park is fine for League games. The QFs should be held in the grounds of the preliminary round winners or the lower ranked team from League. Semi-finals should be held in Portlaoise.

Disagree about the QFs.

I feel that provincial winners should get home advantage.

The 4th round qualifier winners have already been given a second chance.

Dublin could play there games in a car park outside the local pub and chances are more than likely they still beat most teams around the country.

Players and fans have no issue travelling the GAA are more than happy to keep Dublin where they are though.

Until Dublin start losing All Irelands consistently again there's always gonna be a shadow over everything they do!

Sure look when the day comes and we hit a rough patch im sure most the country will celebrate it until Kerry dominate again only there won't be any objections out loud.

Only in some people's heads the small minded. I am sure that great Kerry team 70's 80's never faced a shadow having to beat football giants Limerick, Tipp and Clare. And a crowd who mostly only played football because they could not hurl.

Meanwhile the Dubs had to face teams, that would at least give them a rattle.

Spot on re Parnell and those egos Marc Vaughan cough cough.
    Plus hurlers should never have been moved from Parnell for same reasons. Lost advantage.

Moving such games outside CP grand if GAA willing to lose revenue and fans not able to get tickets.

2019 breakdown of Dublin away trips pre Omagh Super 8's

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/analysis-dublins-impressive-record-outside-croke-park-under-threat-in-omagh-38359146.html

"Of Dublin’s 103 games under Gavin, 75 of them have been played in Croke Park, some 72.8%. They have played 36 out of 59 league games at HQ (61%); and 39 out of 44 championship ties there (88.6%)."

"Of the 28 games played either at the opposition’s home or at a neutral venue, Dublin have won 19, drawn four and lost five. Their away win ratio is 67.9% while they earned 1.5 points per game."

"In championship, Dublin have won 36 (92.3% ratio), drawn two and lost one of their 39 HQ dates while winning all five road trips against Laois ('16), Carlow ('17), Wicklow and Tyrone (both 2018) and Louth (this summer)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

Disagree about the QFs.

I feel that provincial winners should get home advantage.

The 4th round qualifier winners have already been given a second chance.

I'm taking about the QFs of the provincial championships here. Dublin played Westmeath in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So Howard named and Cooper drops out. Dummy team???

• Advertisement

So Howard named and Cooper drops out. Dummy team???

I prefer the Raheny midfield.

James has usually reverted to his normal role anyway and frees him up more maybe to rove upfield?

Cavan did well on their own and Donegal's kickouts (especially the latter in the second half) against Donegal despite that sector having been regarded as a zone Donegal would dominate.

So perhaps Dublin see it as being a more traditional head to head?

Looking forward to this. Be first game I've watched outside of house since Croke Park back in whenever. Be nice to be let out for an hour!

Advertisement