Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a half decent bike of donedeal maybe.
    Due to being a big guy I'm finding it hard to run as much as needed to stay on track. So I wanna get a bike to keep my cardio time up.

Hybrid
    Or
    Road bike

I wanna try cycle for at least an hour to start 3/4 times a week.

I'm a big guy in general but carrying some excess fuel at the moment. Flexible and no stranger to hard training. Just not cycling.

Any advice on a type of bike yee might suggest.

Only thing is I dont wanna spend hugh money but I also dont wanna buy dirt. I'm looking for the sweet spot I suppose.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're just planning on using it for fitness, and not having other utilitarian uses, a road bike would probably be your best best.
    you can often find decent bikes for reasonable prices on adverts, what height are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

markodaly wrote: »
    - what is the intended use of the bike (commuting/leisure/just going for a spin with the kids, etc.)

: Commuting and leisure, as in using the bike with a child carrier to go for cycles around parks/greenways, that type of thing. I would ideally be looking to take two small kids, the youngest on the front, the oldest that the back.
    As mentioned, would also be my day to day commuter, when not out with the kids.
    i suspect a hybrid would be best for you. carrying two kids around on it would help keep you fit!
    others here might know better about child seats which can easily detach; if you're going to use it to commute it'd make life easier on you to be able to detach them for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

if you're just planning on using it for fitness, and not having other utilitarian uses, a road bike would probably be your best best.
    you can often find decent bikes for reasonable prices on adverts, what height are you?

Thanks for your reply.

About 6ft or 6,1
    No purely fitness no commuting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭younggalway

Hey folks, I posted in here back in June when I was buying my bike. Had intended to use it for commuting/short trips around Dublin but now Im back west and will be WFH for the foreseeable. Anyway I bought a Merida Crossway Urban 300 2020 (Green)(XL) at the time and have only used it a handful of times so have decided to sell it on to someone who will get some use out of it.

1. Where would be the best place to advertise?
    2. How much can I realistically look for for the bike, helmet and kryptonite lock in a package? It cost me over a grand for the lot in June but I appreciate there is probably a newer model out now so realistic price recommendations appreciated. If its not worth too much I might just hold onto it.

• Advertisement

you can sell it on the cycling adverts subforum here, or on adverts/done deal (but you can't list it here *and* also list it elsewhere).

bear in mind that the cycle to work scheme has knocked quite a bit of value off your bike - i.e. if someone has the option of buying off you, or buying brand new from a bike shop, and has the full value BTW scheme available, you'd have to knock at a minimum, 52% of the new value of the bike to even match the price the shop will charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

markodaly wrote: »
    - what is the intended use of the bike (commuting/leisure/just going for a spin with the kids, etc.)

: Commuting and leisure, as in using the bike with a child carrier to go for cycles around parks/greenways, that type of thing. I would ideally be looking to take two small kids, the youngest on the front, the oldest that the back.
    As mentioned, would also be my day to day commuter, when not out with the kids.

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike

Mans bike.

Be aware that if you are carrying two kids on the bike, then there will be a lot of kit on the bike, which may make it less comfortable to use when the kids are not on the bike - e.g. if you just want to go out for a spin yourself. For example if you have a seat on the cross bar then your knees may have to move out while you cycle.

Also, the rear bicycle seat for kids in my view destabilises the bike a little.

I would consider getting a bike and a trailer, depending on the age and size of the kids.

A counter point here is that some greenways and parks have those swing gates that are difficult to get through if you have a bike with a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

you can sell it on the cycling adverts subforum here, or on adverts/done deal (but you can't list it here *and* also list it elsewhere).

bear in mind that the cycle to work scheme has knocked quite a bit of value off your bike - i.e. if someone has the option of buying off you, or buying brand new from a bike shop, and has the full value BTW scheme available, you'd have to knock at a minimum, 52% of the new value of the bike to even match the price the shop will charge.

Ironically - I dont know if this works in practice - because so many bikes are being stolen. If you get a bike on BTW this year, and the bike is stolen next year, then you are looking at paying full price. And for a lot of people who cycle regularly for commuting, if their bike is stolen they need to get a new one straight away.

Personally I would list it at 70% of retail price and hope for the best.

Your other choice is to keep it - thats what I would do anyway - and try to use it for exercise once or twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭younggalway

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Ironically - I dont know if this works in practice - because so many bikes are being stolen. If you get a bike on BTW this year, and the bike is stolen next year, then you are looking at paying full price. And for a lot of people who cycle regularly for commuting, if their bike is stolen they need to get a new one straight away.

Personally I would list it at 70% of retail price and hope for the best.

Your other choice is to keep it - thats what I would do anyway - and try to use it for exercise once or twice a week.

Yeah there is that aspect and also a lot of people wont necessarily have access to the BTW scheme/ don't know about it at all.

I run/do classes a few times a week and I would love to cycle more but I know if I haven't done it more than a few times over the Summer, I am very unlikely to start doing it coming into winter.

Thanks for the info folks, I will post it in the sub forum here and on Donedeal at the weekend (Just rereading the comment above, I can't post here and Donedeal etc no?) Or am I misreading that?

correct, if it's listed here it can't be posted on donedeal. you could stick it up here and if there's no interest within a few days, withdraw it and put it on donedeal - however, you may have more luck on donedeal as it's going to get more views.
    a lot of the stuff that sells on the adverts subforum here would be less 'general interest' than your bike, so my gut feeling would be adverts.ie/donedeal might be worth a try first.

one of the advantages for many posters here is that selling here, you'd be usually dealing with someone who you have some sort of passing knowledge of, even if that's swapping opinions using silly usernames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

- what is the intended use of the bike
    Leisure / Fitness

- what is your budget
    450 - 800

- are you using the bike to work scheme
    No

- Are you willing to consider going secondhand
    Yes but hesitant, wouldn't know what to watch out for when viewing secondhand bike.

- will you be using the bike in wet weather
    yes

- how tall you are
    5'8'' / 173cm

- are you looking for a woman's bike or a man's bike
    Mens

Hello, been really enjoying cycling again after taking it back up during the first lockdown. I'm looking at purchasing an entry-level road bike. I'd like to join a cycling club and do their easiest spins which seem to be 50-60km trip at 20km/h avg.

I've been looking in my local bike shop and their entry-level is a Merida Scultura 100 at 899. It's a challenge finding something in stock, I've also been looking at Decathalon's range of Tribans. The RC120 is nicely priced at 450. Based in Dublin so would travel to a shop to try out what they have.

Anything I should keep my eye out for or should I go with the rc120. Thanks!

i've a bike which matches those specs, for sale secondhand. can understand why you're hesitant to buy secondhand though.

my bike, FWIW:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058125701

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That would be a beautiful starter bike - probably about the same weight as a lot of entry level bikes in the 500-800€ range but I'd imagine it is a great ride on Irish roads. Getting full mudguards with it would save a lot of hassle if you plan to use it through the winter too. I have a few years experience cycling at this stage (albeit I'm a useless mechanic) and have been messing around with fitting them for the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

Looking for a road bike which can have a pannier for commuting but also useful for 50k+ spins at the weekend. Finding it difficult to find bikes that are in stock. More of an endurance rather than racer geometry.

- what is your budget

1400 max. Preferably 1200-1300

- are you using the bike to work scheme (this rules out secondhand bikes, and depending on your employer, potentially what bike shops you can use)

HSE Bike to Work

- are you willing to consider going secondhand
    No - B2W
    Yes
    - how tall you are
    5ft11

Mans.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

what is the intended use of the bike - group spins ~100k, solo spins
    - what is your budget - 2000
    - are you using the bike to work scheme - Yes
    - aer you willing to consider going secondhand - No
    - will you be using the bike in wet weather - Probably not a lot
    - how tall you are - 5'9"
    - are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Mans

Looking at a Trek Emonda ALR5 at the moment. Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated

That Trek is nice looking in the purple but for 2k???? You could do better in terms of price for that spec. Similar or very close spec Orbea goes for €1600 or the Giant Contend SL1 Disc for about 1700 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Two grand for a 9kg road bike! Yikes.

Enfilade wrote: »
    That Trek is nice looking in the purple but for 2k???? You could do better in terms of price for that spec. Similar or very close spec Orbea goes for €1600 or the Giant Contend SL1 Disc for about 1700 I think.

Thanks, possibly fallen in love with the purple a little alright! What model Orbea should I be looking at?

Avant H30 was the one I looked at earlier this year, was meant to be a 40th birthday bike but zero stock till next year they said at the time haven't looked since. The frame is something you'll love or hate. I really loved the look of it and how they dealt with the cable routing.

Avant H30 was the one I looked at earlier this year, was meant to be a 40th birthday bike but zero stock till next year they said at the time haven't looked since. The frame is something you'll love or hate. I really loved the look of it and how they dealt with the cable routing.

Next August for the Avant unfortunately. Looks like July onwards for any bikes really by which time the new models will be coming out from what I gather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

simons104 wrote: »

Looking at a Trek Emonda ALR5 at the moment. Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated

Alr5 is slightly heavy, although nice frame. and overpriced imo. Id probably go something like merida scultura alloy disc.
    Are you sure on aluminium there are plenty of good carbon options from online retailers like canyon rose vitus for that price. Take this vitus for example https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/vitus-vitesse-evo-cr-road-bike-105-2021/rp-prod195723.
    Are you sure on disc brake while the braking is definitely better. Rim brakes are good value for the price and are lighter and you said you wont be riding in bad weather...
    Alot also depends on who you work with if your company uses a middle man for the b2w your limited with who you can buy from.
    2000€ is the price were the bike 2 work starts losing its value, you could get a really nice second hand bike for 1400€ alot better than what you could get for 2000€. Well at least you could have before covid caused a sellers paradise in the used bike market.
    But tbh 2000€ is all you need for a top performing road bike.

smndly wrote: »

Looking for a road bike which can have a pannier for commuting but also useful for 50k+ spins at the weekend. Finding it difficult to find bikes that are in stock. More of an endurance rather than racer geometry.

- what is your budget

1400 max. Preferably 1200-1300

- are you using the bike to work scheme (this rules out secondhand bikes, and depending on your employer, potentially what bike shops you can use)

HSE Bike to Work

- are you willing to consider going secondhand
    No - B2W
    Yes
    - how tall you are
    5ft11

Mans.

Disc or rim brake? Is something you need to consider.

Specialized allez is a nice road bike with pannier mounts but is dosc brake only for example

Would you consider online you can buy from anywhere on civil service b2w scheme and you can get savage deals on bikes. Take this radon for example https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-r1-disc-105-1073214

Would you consider getting a cheap 2nd hand hybrid to keep you ticking over and for commuting and then getting a separate road bike next year?

Also the giant tcr comes in around 2000 which is an outstanding bike for the price. Average components but a really nice upgradeable carbon frame. You wouldnt be getting more from bikes 2x the price

Next August for the Avant unfortunately. Looks like July onwards for any bikes really by which time the new models will be coming out from what I gather

No afaik 2020 bimes will be coming because alot of the frames have been built and probably sprayed. Problem is shimano has a backlog of orders from the covid lockdown but they focused on producing entry level commuting bike parts but by the new year production lines should be back to normal.
    Its worth the wait anyway, some other brands are rapidly manufacturing at the cost of qc.
    But anyone looking for a new bike now should be sorted by march/april

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have a 6 year old Surly Straggler(heavy tourer/cyclocross) which has been rock solid and is brilliant for commuting and long distance without the climbs. I've started doing HIIT style climbing cycles up around Cruagh to try burn off some of my lockdown acquired pounds. I'm wondering should I just stick with my heavy Surly which is a good workout getting it up the hills to be fair. Alternatively I could get something like this Boardman SLR 8.9 on the cycle to work scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Looking to get a second hand mountain bike that will be used mainly for a route goes through a park, cycle lanes, roads, potholes, through a village etc.

I don't expect to cycle in the winter or on trails - I just like bigger wheels. I've had a road bike in the past but definitely want to go with a MTB.

Is there anything I should be aware of buying off donedeal or adverts? I've seen some for between 100-200e that look like they will do the job. Am I missing anything obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

I'd avoid lesser known brands at that end of the market though and unless your roads are particularly bad avoid front suspension as it just adds unnecessary weight to the bike.

Reviving this question: we have a ladies bike but she finds slopes hard going. So once again considering electric for slope assist. Foldable would be nice to fit into a hatchback boot. We have a Thule bike rack but it's not recommended for electric bikes.
    I presume "hybrid" means you can pedal as well.
    Leisure use on country roads and greenways, so max 30 miles should be enough.

Local shop says would not sell anything under €2200, the cost of a Trek. Trek look to be for serious sport cyclists. Halfords in Wexford town have Carrera around €1200.

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/electric-bikes/?prefn1=gender&prefv1=Unisex%7CWomens&prefn2=numberofgears&prefv2=1%7C3%7C6&prefn3=type&prefv3=Electric%20Hybrid%20Bikes%7CElectric%20Folding%20Bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

- what is the intended use of the bike: Leisure/Fitness. Likely leaning towards a road bike as I may do a long multi day long distance cycle in the future.

- what is your budget. €1250

- are you using the bike to work scheme. Yes

- aer you willing to consider going secondhand. No

- will you be using the bike in wet weather. Possibly, but not by choice. ie if it's raining I won't be departing my house on the bike. But if I've taken the bike and it's raining, I'll begrudgingly use it to get home.

- how tall you are. 5'9

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike. Mens bike

I'm a complete and utter novice here, I have zero equipment so I need all that to fit within the budget also. And I'm also likely looking for a turbo trainer so I can use the bike indoors.

I have come across this bundle, but I'm not sure if it's good/bad?

Sona Strada 2.0 Bike to Work Package #2 – Sonabikes

based on your comments, definitely a road bike i'd say. one thing you should do first is call around to your local bike shop to see what sort of stock they have or can provide - and check the terms of your employers BTW scheme to see if it limits you in any way as to which shops you can use. you'd need to include money for clothes, helmet. etc - and pedals and shoes if you go for clip in ones.

you'd probably want to budget €1k for the bike and €250 for ancillaries, unless you're willing to spend more than the €1.25k (most shops will be happy to deal with this, but obviously anything above the ceiling won't have any tax benefit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AgnesCalhoun1

- what is the intended use of the bike - group spins ~50km, solo spins, a yearly triathlon or two

- what is your budget - 800

- are you willing to consider going secondhand - No

- how tall you are - 5'7"

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Mans/Unisex

Advertisement