Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish winter running gear (5k) country roads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Men can wear shorts over tights right?

No. Not unless you would wear shorts over regular trousers, jeans, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Men can wear shorts over tights right?

Saw a double wammy on Sunday, not only was the guy wearing tights under shorts but they were 3/4 length tights - the horror!! :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I picked up a few Under Armour long sleeve tops on Amazon along with a couple of pairs of leggings but haven't been brave enough to venture to the outside world wearing them yet :o

Klopp wrote: »
    I picked up a few Under Armour long sleeve tops on Amazon along with a couple of pairs of leggings but haven't been brave enough to venture to the outside world wearing them yet :o

You'll be grand, its very cold out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

You'll be grand, its very cold out ;)

Lol. The last 10 days or so when out on runs and in general i find myself eyeing all the male runners i see and if any wearing leggings and honestly have spotted one yet, loads with leggings and shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lol. The last 10 days or so when out on runs and in general i find myself eyeing all the male runners i see and if any wearing leggings and honestly have spotted one yet, loads with leggings and shorts.

I always wear shorts over leggings. Nobody wants to see the alternative. Not even my wife......

IMO, shorts over tights = dress socks with sandals or tracksuit with shoes.

Sorry for dragging this down to the depths but people can't see your package when you wear socks with sandals so surely not the same thing!?!

Sorry for dragging this down to the depths but people can't see your package when you wear socks with sandals so surely not the same thing!?!

I guess some of us are not as "blessed" as others! :)

I guess some of us are not as "blessed" as others! :)

Or else my tights are a little too tight. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Or else my tights are a little too tight. Lol

The Ron Hill Tracksters are by far the best leggings for winter, they lie somewhere in the middle between tights and tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Wottle wrote: »
    The Ron Hill Tracksters are by far the best leggings for winter, they lie somewhere in the middle between tights and tracksuits.

Had a few pairs of these back in the day. Even a water resistant pair. Think they might have been DHB or something like that.
    I thought they were the business until i got running tights, absolutely a game changer, couldn't believe how much less restricted tights were. Never went back the the Ron Hill tracksters again.

Getting back out of the gutter I picked up one of these last month, find it great for the wind and rain. Nice and light and breatable

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/kiprun-light-men-s-sleeveless-running-jacket-en-s301541.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

EC1000 wrote: »
    No. Not unless you would wear shorts over regular trousers, jeans, etc.

very strange comparison to make, what i reveal in a pair of jeans is very different to a pair of running tights, I wouldn't be too bothered about my style on a freezing cold morning,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Honestly not sure how any man can leave the house only wearing a pair of tights and not think it's somewhat inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Sorry to derail the tights/shorts debate, but wanted to add my two cents.

This time of year I dress so that I feel a little cold when I walk out the front door. For me that's probably a long sleeved top that will be lighter or heavier depending on the particular day. If it's really cold a hat and gloves - I do suffer with something akin to Raynauds but it's not too bad most of the time.

I've only started using lights this year for the first time (I've recently moved house and there's a few unlit sections on the roads I'm on). I wouldn't run anywhere without them now.

So my advice would be - don't overdo it on the warm clothes and take visibility seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I live in a town with footpaths and streetlights for my winter routes. To compare lets say you lived 1.5km from Pheonix Park so you run to the park on footpaths, do whatever laps you want away from cars and traffic and then run home. Would people here wear lights for that? I don't but wondering if I should. LIGHTS not tights!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Dudda wrote: »
    I live in a town with footpaths and streetlights for my winter routes. To compare lets say you lived 1.5km from Pheonix Park so you run to the park on footpaths, do whatever laps you want away from cars and traffic and then run home. Would people here wear lights for that? I don't but wondering if I should. LIGHTS not tights!
    Personally, I give very little thought to how visible I am when running, regardless of location. I think it's entirely the wrong approach to the problem. If you're relying on a motorist to see you to be safe, you're already rolling the dice.

I always, always, ALWAYS assume that any given motorist does not and will not see me, regardless of circumstances. When I'm running, my stopping distance is effectively zero, and taking my attention off the road for more than a metre would likely end up with a head-first collision with a wall, or a twisted ankle stepping off a kerb. Neither of those is true for motorists. It's very easy to travel 100m in a car at 30+km/h while paying little-to-no attention to anything around you

If I'm in a situation where my clothing would make a difference to whether I was hit by a vehicle or not, it would mean I've already made a massive ****-up earlier in the process, so I concentrate my energies on not making massive ****-ups.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Personally, I give very little thought to how visible I am when running, regardless of location. I think it's entirely the wrong approach to the problem. If you're relying on a motorist to see you to be safe, you're already rolling the dice.

I always, always, ALWAYS assume that any given motorist does not and will not see me, regardless of circumstances. When I'm running, my stopping distance is effectively zero, and taking my attention off the road for more than a metre would likely end up with a head-first collision with a wall, or a twisted ankle stepping off a kerb. Neither of those is true for motorists. It's very easy to travel 100m in a car at 30+km/h while paying little-to-no attention to anything around you

If I'm in a situation where my clothing would make a difference to whether I was hit by a vehicle or not, it would mean I've already made a massive ****-up earlier in the process, so I concentrate my energies on not making massive ****-ups.

So are you saying that you avoid going out at night or keep to just footpaths or you don't bother with reflective clothing/lights?
    Agree with you that you need to assume that a car does not see you however not being lit up is just asking for trouble.
    For me I do go running on country roads at night or early morning but I do take precautions:
    I am lit up like a christmas tree! Head torch, hi-vis clothing, flashing reflective arm band
    Only run on roads where I can step in off the road when needed and are wide enough.
    Run against traffic (you think that would be obvious but apparently not!)
    Eyes and ears always open
    When a car approaches I watch their movements, its always evident if they can see me or not.
    Car coming from behind, keep an eye to make sure they are on the correct side.

Same rules for daytime running except for the lights bit

A car can just as easily not see you in daylight as at night (if you are lit up you are probably more easy to spot.

As for the original question, wear a headlight even on paths and keep an eye on the ground for trip hazards, street lights leave black spots and suprises for the unwary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

So are you saying that you avoid going out at night or keep to just footpaths or you don't bother with reflective clothing/lights?
    The latter. Most of my running is on footpaths, but plenty of junctions to be crossed, and I do occasionally have runs on roads with no footpaths. There are too many motorists that wouldn't notice a literal Christmas tree running along the road, never a mind a human with a few reflections and lights. If a car is approaching, I know exactly where they are at all times, and am always ready to step into the ditch until they have passed

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    The latter. Most of my running is on footpaths, but plenty of junctions to be crossed, and I do occasionally have runs on roads with no footpaths. There are too many motorists that wouldn't notice a literal Christmas tree running along the road, never a mind a human with a few reflections and lights. If a car is approaching, I know exactly where they are at all times, and am always ready to step into the ditch until they have passed

Wow! To me that is lunacy but each to their own. Being lit up gives as much safety as possible, I always assume the car doesn't see me but equally I'm not guaranteed to see the car (someone driving with no lights on meets a runner with no lights on, who is in the wrong?? - doesn't matter as the runner comes off worse) And before anyone says the chances of a car driving on a dark road with no lights on are low, I say so are the chances of meeting a runner on a dark road with no lights on :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ShadowSA

How are the Mac in a Sac waterproof breathable jackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

Dudda wrote: »

I run in the Phoenix park after dark quite a bit. I would always have lights running on the footpaths up & down Chesterfield avenue as there are almost always some walkers there. If you dont have lights you tend to frighten them running up on them!

Advertisement