Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Wasn't the Green & White jersey meant to be going on Sale this Friday? Haven't seen it anywhere for pre order. Not exactly giving themselves the best chance to maximise sales.

Somehow I doubt they will struggle to sell it.

I dont know why you would expect it to be available for preorder to be honest. They announced the date and they have all the advertising they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt they will struggle to sell it.

I don't know why you would expect it to be available for preorder to be honest. They announced the date and they have all the advertising they need.

Fair enough, I forget where i read that it would be available on Friday. Was maybe hoping to see it on O'Neills or Elverys. Hopefully it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Paddico

Very quite on here football wise.

Cant wait for Sunday myself

Obviously Mayo will go in as favourites and are the better team, certainly based on what has happened since we last met in 2016.

We haven't developed quite the way we wanted after that. Although we got a league promotion, in 2017 we lost by virtue of a last minute goal to Cork, and then went up to Cavan and won - before the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen in Gaelic football cost us badly vs Armagh.

2018 and we were 4 up on Cavan in the league after a very debatable red card with around 15 to go, where a win meant promotion to Division 1 and we couldn't get over the line. No excuses for the result v Cork, but we missed a lot of great goal chances early on that might have changed things. Then the Mayo match.

Obviously 2019 was a total disaster, beaten by Limerick and Down - 2 teams that you would have expected us to do well against. But the recovery this year has been fantastic. I don't think the same emphasis was put on the league this year, because where did it get us before. However our Championship form has been very solid and from our first game vs Clare I knew we were capable of doing big things this year.

Being there in 2018 for that qualifier game makes me know we have a massive chance. The team was sung off the pitch at half time, it felt like we were about to see a special scalp. It didn't quite happen that day, but the boys will know that we are more than able for them.

I imagine a lot of the talk in the dressing room will be based on how we almost had them put to the sword before their fluke goal. Everybody in the Country is now calling the Dublin Mayo final and that suits us down to the ground. Go under the radar like we did 2 years ago, except this time, have the bottle to drive it home, in the home stretch like we did against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Come on Tipp, if this was hurling ye'd be all over this and ye are in the semi final most years. I give ye a right chance if ye can improve on ye're performance. Ye have two top quality forwards in Sweeney and Quinlivan and with O'Riordan massive ball winner. Along with this ye have a good team showing great character.
    Best of luck Tipp (from the Deise)
    By the way I hope this year gives Tipp football more of a level playing field ye definitely have quality players to challenge the big guns in Munster and hopefully funds will increase to bring ye on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KIB4Life

Obviously Mayo will go in as favourites and are the better team, certainly based on what has happened since we last met in 2016.

We haven't developed quite the way we wanted after that. Although we got a league promotion, in 2017 we lost by virtue of a last minute goal to Cork, and then went up to Cavan and won - before the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen in Gaelic football cost us badly vs Armagh.

2018 and we were 4 up on Cavan in the league after a very debatable red card with around 15 to go, where a win meant promotion to Division 1 and we couldn't get over the line. No excuses for the result v Cork, but we missed a lot of great goal chances early on that might have changed things. Then the Mayo match.

Obviously 2019 was a total disaster, beaten by Limerick and Down - 2 teams that you would have expected us to do well against. But the recovery this year has been fantastic. I don't think the same emphasis was put on the league this year, because where did it get us before. However our Championship form has been very solid and from our first game vs Clare I knew we were capable of doing big things this year.

Being there in 2018 for that qualifier game makes me know we have a massive chance. The team was sung off the pitch at half time, it felt like we were about to see a special scalp. It didn't quite happen that day, but the boys will know that we are more than able for them.

I imagine a lot of the talk in the dressing room will be based on how we almost had them put to the sword before their fluke goal. Everybody in the Country is now calling the Dublin Mayo final and that suits us down to the ground. Go under the radar like we did 2 years ago, except this time, have the bottle to drive it home, in the home stretch like we did against Cork.

Best of luck to ye on Sunday I’ll certainly be shouting for ye as a Clare man on Sunday, there is just something about Mayo and their fans I can’t warmth to and hope ye go out and beat them.

I actually think that this Tipp team is better then the team in 2016 and has more strength in depth. Also Tipp are very good around the middle and if ye can get the edge around this area ye could win it, and it could be particularly important to put pressure on their kick outs as David Clarke’s kick outs can be an issue for Mayo at times and with the likes of O’Riordan, Casey, O’Brien and The Kennedy’s around the middle sector, Tipp will certainly not be bullied.

Mayo held Quinlivan relatively quite in 2016 so if he can produce a performance then it could be vital, Mayo’s runners from the back and half back line is were they get a lot of joy and hurt teams, so it’s obviously important for the Tipp half forward line to try and stop these runs. I think it’s going to be a close game but something is just telling that with the year that is in it gonna be a Tipp Dublin final as it’s could be destiny for those two teams to meet in the final.

When we played in 2018, we had Conor Sweeney drifting out toward the centre with Quinlivan inside. Quinlivan got 1-2 from play I believe. So he has done well vs Mayo before.

Because we have Colin O Riordan now, Sweeney doesnt need to drop deeper to win ball as we have a great fielder there now, so Sweeney will be inside. Although Power seems to favour Quinlivan around the half forward line, as opposed to sitting inside like Kerins wanted him. We do have the ability to switch it up though, and we will be looking for direct ball into full forward when it's on.

I was listening to Off the Ball last night and there wasnt a mention of 2018. I am absolutely positive that the Tipp dressing room will be using that game education/motivation rather than the 2016 one. I really felt that day like we had them there for the taking and were in total control, and were shell shocked by their goal. We didn't score again after it, with 20 minutes to go.

That is the main problem with us. When we get a purple patch in games we are lethal. But we go long periods where it's not clicking in games, and it's about minimising the effects of that, and reacting quickly on the sideline to rectify it. That happened across each of our games thus far, and luckily we were able to manage it.

I do think that beating Cork as we did will stand to us massively, a game like many others that we were in control of, but this time we drove it home rather than letting them back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Really looking forward to the two semi finals this weekend.

Dublin should have too much for a good Cavan side.

My worry about Tipp is if Sweeney was well held i don't think they have the scoring ability elsewhere in the forwards to do serious damage to Mayo.

Quinlivan doesn't seem to be as prolific from play as other years and Mayo have some serious man markers and i'm sure Sweeney will be getting special attention.

I hope Tipp really play to their potential and at least give the best account of themselves and who knows perhaps another big scalp but i do think Mayo will have a little too much and it will be a Dublin v Mayo final.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KIB4Life

When we played in 2018, we had Conor Sweeney drifting out toward the centre with Quinlivan inside. Quinlivan got 1-2 from play I believe. So he has done well vs Mayo before.

Because we have Colin O Riordan now, Sweeney doesnt need to drop deeper to win ball as we have a great fielder there now, so Sweeney will be inside. Although Power seems to favour Quinlivan around the half forward line, as opposed to sitting inside like Kerins wanted him. We do have the ability to switch it up though, and we will be looking for direct ball into full forward when it's on.

I was listening to Off the Ball last night and there wasnt a mention of 2018. I am absolutely positive that the Tipp dressing room will be using that game education/motivation rather than the 2016 one. I really felt that day like we had them there for the taking and were in total control, and were shell shocked by their goal. We didn't score again after it, with 20 minutes to go.

That is the main problem with us. When we get a purple patch in games we are lethal. But we go long periods where it's not clicking in games, and it's about minimising the effects of that, and reacting quickly on the sideline to rectify it. That happened across each of our games thus far, and luckily we were able to manage it.

I do think that beating Cork as we did will stand to us massively, a game like many others that we were in control of, but this time we drove it home rather than letting them back into it.

Yeah in 2018 ye seemed to be in total control and looked like ye had Mayo, until the goal alright it seemed to knock the stuffing out of ye. I think ye could have been further ahead in that game before their goal if I remember correctly I think ye might have missed a few scoreable chances and it’s alright if David Clarke didn’t make one of two saves as well.

I think if Tipp are to win both Quinlivan and Sweeney will have to be at their best similar to the Cork game because to be honest when they are on song they seem to have a great understanding and great link up play between them.

To be honest I think Mayo are there for the taking, Galway I’d say are kicking themselves for not winning the Connacht final, they probably weren’t helped by the ref late on in the game, and Mayo are well able to get involved in the dark arts despite what their supporters think so you can be sure that Sweeney and Quinlivan will be pulled and dragged left right and centre off the ball, but it’s up to refs and the linesman’s to watch out for that.

Anyway I’m really looking forward to the game the weekend and I’m actually looking forward to Dublin and Cavan as well I think it will be closer then people think, but as I said before I have a feeling that it’s gonna be a Tipp, Dublin final this year.

I think losing Acheson for 2017 was massive. He was a very able fielder, he had leadership qualities in abundance, and was the teams engine. In O'Riordan, we also have a leader in the middle of the park with presence and unbelievable catching abilities. A lord of the skies. Here's hoping we can do it. If Mayo win, which they are expected to then best of luck to them in the final. Im not anti-Dublin, i have friends and relatives in the capital, but i wouldnt begrudge Mayo an All-ireland. Unbelievable supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Munster Under 20 Hurling semi-finals and final fixtures to be confirmed later this week.

Munster Minor Hurling Semi-Final

Tipperary v Waterford in Pairc Ui Rinn on Saturday 12 December at 1.00pm

Munster final scheduled for Sunday 20th December at 1.00pm

Munster Minor Football Championship Quarter final:
    Tipperary v Clare in Thurles on Saturday 12 December at 5.00pm
    Winner plays Waterford or Limerick the following Wednesday night.
    Munster Final on Tuesday 22nd December.

To flog a dead horse altogether...

Eddie Brennan will take a coaching role with the Cuala senior hurlers in Dublin for the 2021 season.

John Twomey will manage the side, replacing Willie Maher in the role.

:):)

How do people see the Tipp midfield going against Mayo?

formerlyET wrote: »
    How do people see the Tipp midfield going against Mayo?

I think our twin towers (O'Riordan-O'Brien) will match any of them. Will O'Shea go up against O'Riordan from the kick out? It will be an interesting tussle. We're not favourites by any means, but i fancy us a bit more with O'Riordan there. Cork used to kill us in that midfield, especially Ian Maguire, but the presence of O'Riordan absolutely killed his influence

O'Shea and the likes of Parsons to their credit have alot more experience, but Mayo's failure has been perhaps a failure to grow as a team.

The jersey is now on sale.

I think our twin towers (O'Riordan-O'Brien) will match any of them. Will O'Shea go up against O'Riordan from the kick out? It will be an interesting tussle. We're not favourites by any means, but i fancy us a bit more with O'Riordan there. Cork used to kill us in that midfield, especially Ian Maguire, but the presence of O'Riordan absolutely killed his influence

O'Shea and the likes of Parsons to their credit have alot more experience, but Mayo's failure has been perhaps a failure to grow as a team.

Yeah, I think the Tipp midfield is a major strength with O'Riordan there. Casey is big unit around that area too.

I'd prefer it to be anyone rather than Mayo. I'd love to see Mayo win an All-Ireland.

But playing Mayo rather than Dublin gives Tipp some kind of a chance

The jersey is now on sale.

Sold out of adult version a half hour ago - available on O'Neill's website

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

formerlyET wrote: »
    Sold out of adult version a half hour ago - available on O'Neill's website

Sold Out in Factory shop. Fair few people disappointed there a half hour ago. Gone in Elverys a long time ago. O'Neills said they hope to have enough stock to fill online orders over the weekend but doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thankfully got in early thanks to the poster here but there's still a few available at different sizes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tipperary's Munster Under 20 Hurling Semi-Final v Waterford fixed for Dungarvan on Tuesday 15 December at 7.00pm.
    Munster Final v Limerick or Cork on Wednesday 23rd December
    All Ireland Final on 9/10 January.

• Advertisement

Management committee meeting re 2021 calendar postponed until later in month. The belief is still that the county season will precede club next year.

Tipp side line out unchanged from Munster final

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1334965889519783937/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Great to see Jack Kennedy named amongst the subs

paddy13 wrote: »
    Come on Tipp, if this was hurling ye'd be all over this and ye are in the semi final most years. I give ye a right chance if ye can improve on ye're performance. Ye have two top quality forwards in Sweeney and Quinlivan and with O'Riordan massive ball winner. Along with this ye have a good team showing great character.
    Best of luck Tipp (from the Deise)
    By the way I hope this year gives Tipp football more of a level playing field ye definitely have quality players to challenge the big guns in Munster and hopefully funds will increase to bring ye on.

That will never happen as long as football and hurling are arbitrated under the one umbrella in the county.

Didn't happen after 2002, Didnt happen after 2016 and wont happen after 2020. With the exception of the likes of Barry O'Brien or Sean Nugent, we have never had personnel on the county board that give two sh1tes about football. Hurling dominates and always will. I say this as someone who attends alot of Tipp football games. I absolutely love it, but aside from the odd day in the sun (or the snow/rain in terms of this year), we will never become a football force. At best, we will punch above our weight. Its not negativity, its the reality from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That will never happen as long as football and hurling are arbitrated under the one umbrella in the county.

Didn't happen after 2002, Didnt happen after 2016 and wont happen after 2020. With the exception of the likes of Barry O'Brien or Sean Nugent, we have never had personnel on the county board that give two sh1tes about football. Hurling dominates and always will. I say this as someone who attends alot of Tipp football games. I absolutely love it, but aside from the odd day in the sun (or the snow/rain in terms of this year), we will never become a football force. At best, we will punch above our weight. Its not negativity, its the reality from experience.
    It would be even worse if it was managed under a completely separate organisation/group.
    Consistent performances and reaching latter stages of all ireland/doing well in league and staying in top divisions would help attract more to play gaelic more/stay playing with chance of playing high level.
    You dont have to be a football force or anywhere near one anyway and still be quite successful

It would be even worse if it was managed under a completely separate organisation/group.
    Consistent performances and reaching latter stages of all ireland/doing well in league and staying in top divisions would help attract more to play gaelic more/stay playing with chance of playing high level.
    You dont have to be a football force or anywhere near one anyway and still be quite successful

We are neither really to be honest. We've had a reasonable bit of success by our standards, but I dont think we'll ever be a division 1 team. Hurling will always be the main draw to the youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

We are neither really to be honest. We've had a reasonable bit of success by our standards, but I dont think we'll ever be a division 1 team. Hurling will always be the main draw to the youngsters.
    where did i say tipp were??? :confused:
    Hurling will always get most of attention but if the football stay challenging and getting occasional provincial titles. are in division 2 consistently and can go on decent runs through qualifiers/reach latter stages of all ireland then they'll attract a lot more than they have

Hurling will always get most of attention but if the football stay challenging and getting occasional provincial titles. are in division 2 consistently and can go on decent runs through qualifiers/reach latter stages of all ireland then they'll attract a lot more than they have

Your point was, that if we continue to have this level of success that we (and i can only assume you meant Tipperary given we are on a Tipp thread) would attract more youngsters to play football. The reality is that this wont happen. The reality is we have struggled to remain in Division 3 this year and the gods smiled on us in the championship to a degree. I think this is a rare year. I would like if they drove on, but i don't expect them to. We're in bonus territory really on Sunday

getting occasional provincial titles.[/B] are in division 2 consistently and can go on decent runs through qualifiers/reach latter stages of all ireland then they'll attract a lot more than they have

2 seasons in Division 2 from 17-19. 1 Munster title since 1935. Whoa there, i dont think the youngsters will flock in their droves just yet :rolleyes:

Very simplistic attitude. The Tipp county board have no interest in pursuing football ambitions. We won Munster in spite of them, not because of them. The county board chairman in 2016 actually took the hurlers side in the dual player row, plus we werent even allowed play league games in Semple stadium (granted it was a wet winter)

Our turnout has been atrocious at high profile championship football games when going well. A lot of Tipp people don't care enough about it. Starting from an All Ireland Semi Final in 2016, to 2 years after in the Championship. We also got a league promotion in 2017 that did sweet f all for our support.
    • Mayo semi final in 2016 was very badly attended by us.
    • Cork in Munster in 2017 in Pairc Ui Rinn had a shocking turnout considering what we had done the year before and our league win.
    • Armagh probably had just lower or near equal support to us when we played them in 2017 in Thurles, when we were off the back of a very impressive away win in Cavan.
    • Cork in 2018 was deserted.
    • Mayo 2018, a huge game in Thurles, had a woeful turnout from us.

3 of those games were in Semple and people weren't arsed.

My uncle is a hardcore Tipp GAA man, would go to most hurling matches but hasn't been to a game of football in 20 years I'd say. The appetite just isn't there. We would need years of success before people bother to show support and that just isn't likely. As a player, why would you bother turning out in front of 5,000-10,000 max when you could be regularly turning out in front of 80,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Our turnout has been atrocious at high profile championship football games when going well. A lot of Tipp people don't care enough about it. Starting from an All Ireland Semi Final in 2016, to 2 years after in the Championship. We also got a league promotion in 2017 that did sweet f all for our support.
    • Mayo semi final in 2016 was very badly attended by us.
    • Cork in Munster in 2017 in Pairc Ui Rinn had a shocking turnout considering what we had done the year before and our league win.
    • Armagh probably had just lower or near equal support to us when we played them in 2017 in Thurles, when we were off the back of a very impressive away win in Cavan.
    • Cork in 2018 was deserted.
    • Mayo 2018, a huge game in Thurles, had a woeful turnout from us.

3 of those games were in Semple and people weren't arsed.

My uncle is a hardcore Tipp GAA man, would go to most hurling matches but hasn't been to a game of football in 20 years I'd say. The appetite just isn't there. We would need years of success before people bother to show support and that just isn't likely. As a player, why would you bother turning out in front of 5,000-10,000 max when you could be regularly turning out in front of 80,000

Great post. Sad but true.

I took my then 9 year old daughter to the 2018 game against Mayo in Thurles. We parked in a field on the Nenagh road and two of the lads on duty were delighted to see us arrive as they had hardly seen any other Tipp supporters up to that point and the car park was pretty full at that stage.

We live only a 30 minutes drive from Thurles. Mayo is a considerable trek in comparison. Says it all.

Great occasion, though. Well, until that bizarre goal for Mayo! One of the highlights was the standing ovation the Tipp team got coming off the pitch at half time.

The reality is though that Tipp could win the the football All Ireland this year and it wouldn't mean a huge amount to a large majority of Tipp people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement