Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WIFI booster- pain cave

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Got the TP PowerLine for external shed, paired in kitchen, plugged in to router with Ethernet and it’s beside the garden, shed is wired from house but signal is very poor or doesn’t work in shed, says connected to wifi but not to the internet - i can see WiFi on smart tv etc and showing signal on wifi on phone, have plug connected to tv with Ethernet also, signal showed <1mbps yesterday and today not working at all - anyone know best way to troubleshoot? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Got the TP PowerLine for external shed, paired in kitchen, plugged in to router with Ethernet and it’s beside the garden, shed is wired from house but signal is very poor or doesn’t work in shed, says connected to wifi but not to the internet - i can see WiFi on smart tv etc and showing signal on wifi on phone, have plug connected to tv with Ethernet also, signal showed <1mbps yesterday and today not working at all - anyone know best way to troubleshoot? Thanks

Which one did you get? If its the non WiFi one you'll need another router in the shed to send out a signal unless it's plugged directly via ethernet into whatever device your using.
    If you have it plugged into the TV and that's what your trying to use then turn off WiFi in the TV settings and use the ethernet setting instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

For anyone still thinking of a mesh wifi, Amazon have the Linksys Velop for £127
    and Harvey Norman have the TP Link Deco for €119, I paid 159 in August for it so it has dropped in price

.red. wrote: »
    Which one did you get? If its the non WiFi one you'll need another router in the shed to send out a signal unless it's plugged directly via ethernet into whatever device your using.
    If you have it plugged into the TV and that's what your trying to use then turn off WiFi in the TV settings and use the ethernet setting instead.

Thanks I have the AV600 powerline TL WPAA4220 KIT so a TL-PA4010 also

Found posts saying check DNS and IP and input it tried that but wasn’t totally sure what I was doing and it didn’t work.
    I have the tv cabled and phone using WiFi and both didn’t really work well or at all

I'd be fairly sure this is a configuration issue. Given the distances involved you'd want to be living in a mansion with a kilometre of cabling for this not to get you a decent connection in the shed.

Have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCD_K1_rtsk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks I have the AV600 powerline TL WPAA4220 KIT so a TL-PA4010 also

Found posts saying check DNS and IP and input it tried that but wasn’t totally sure what I was doing and it didn’t work.
    I have the tv cabled and phone using WiFi and both didn’t really work well or at all

The fact that the TV isnt working cabled says the EoPs (Powerlines) aren't communicating. They are a bodge and are not guaranteed to work.

Around your house theyre often on the same ring or on two parallel rings. Does the shed have its own consumer unit ("fusebox")?

No, it's on the same circuit or fuse as in the house (assume kitchen as that's where it is wired from, can trip some later and try define exact zones as wouldn't know off hand). Not sure how the modem can be moved to another plug as it's where Sky is cabled in?

The network is present and can join it, but no internet connection available, i'll try cable it later in my house and then try again in shed and see if it's out there.

I have an electric radiator out there that has wifi/bluetooth app connection also - could that be interfering, and if it is what can I do about it?

When using my Tacx Flux for the first time since radiator went in, it was under reporting power as was beside radiator at the time so now assuming that was interference with that also?

I'd be fairly sure this is a configuration issue. Given the distances involved you'd want to be living in a mansion with a kilometre of cabling for this not to get you a decent connection in the shed.

Have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCD_K1_rtsk

Thanks, watched that and read some comments, pretty sure that's the steps I followed, i'll reset it later and start over and see how it goes, thanks

I think initially it worked with v weak cabled connection, then tried to repair to fix it and didn't work or was v v weak (pages wouldn't load).

Did you set it up in the house first? Do it with the WiFi plug as close to possible as the one wired to the router, once its paired, unplug it and bring it out to the shed.
    IIRC the WiFi plug can have a separate network name, there might have been a sticker on the box with the name and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The network is present and can join it, but no internet connection available, i'll try cable it later in my house and then try again in shed and see if it's out there.

Its broadcasting the SSID it was set to, it does that on its own, but it sounds like it has nowhere to send the traffic.

Use the middle LED to determine status, the home should be green indicating EoP communication, sometimes amber/red will function too (indicates a weaker than desired connection).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

I'm having exactly the same problem. The router is one end of the house and the smart tv I am trying to connect up is the other end. I have followed the set up as per the instructions and the extnded wifi now works for all phones and laptops but not the TV. As you described the tv connects to the network and appears to have signal but it is saying that it cannot connect to the internet. I can't get it to work at all with the ethernet cable.

Played around tonight with it - I reset and repaired the plugs together, all lights showing green, I used ethernet with PS4 in my house and signal strength 25 MBPS, then out to shed and it was down to 0.0x... the powerline LEDs turned off on both plugs when I moved one in to the shed - so this indicates it is using a different power source or there is some interference - I switched off the electric radiator out in shed so don't think there is interference in the way, so must be different connection? I don't know wiring at all - my modem and connected plug are in my extension and then the wiring is run out to the shed, so could there be a different wire/fuse doing that? I assumed all cables on the board are on the same powerline?
    I brought it back in there and checked it on Wifi and it's running at same speed as wired and powerline LEDs are back on... hmm...

Just logged on to app and it can see the devices, on the 2.4Ghz channel and showing connections etc...

Is it an LG tv by any chance? More specifically a 2017 model?

TP say they don't work properly over extension cables. I've no sockets at my Internet point in the house so have an extension lead running off a socket at the other end of the hall and my modem and TP plug are in that and it works perfect.
    I really don't know anything about electrics so this is a guess but maybe your shed is wired from an existing socket, like an extension lead and the cable is just too long for them to work properly?

Might try run an extension lead from the other side of the house to set the modem up from and then see if that makes the shed work, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’ve just set up AV600 powerline TL WPAA4220 KIT but now running two separate networks in the house. It’s not a major concern but to set up under same WiFi do I need to forget current settings somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If you match the SSID and password of your main router it should show up as just one network.

The manual mentions a clone button in chapter 2.3.

Advertisement